• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

While I really like the "improved fog of war" concept being described here the idea that Radar = Listening Station is just not accurate. It would be far more accurate if these were completely seperate province improvements.

mm

I'd agree. But keeping it to RADAR/SIGINT sites does make things easier.
Theoretically. There might be separate techs for radar and sigint, and if the later one is advanced enough, then even divisions have a sigint range more than the adjacent province (or the lower tech levels don't have it and you end up with divisions that can't really see what is in the neighbouring province even. That'd be cool, since you'd have to tread very carefully since they might only get very rudimentary information from their scouts/recon units - making doctrines such as LRDP etc. rather interesting - as well as attaching armoured cavalry (recon) brigades to your divisions)

@Kouak: agreed, but you forgot to change the nation borders in the Maastricht/Aachen area. :D

@ one of the developers or someone who knows this: the different sizes for the previews from Johan, does that mean HoI will finally be able to be played in different resolutions, and preferably also have an option to be played in a window?

@ one of the developers or someone who knows this: the different sizes for the previews from Johan, does that mean HoI will finally be able to be played in different resolutions, and preferably also have an option to be played in a window?

The game uses the EUIII engine, and both EUIII and EU:Rome allow you to change screen resolutions from the in-game Options screen. It defaults to the current desktop resolution. The EUIII forum includes the following from Paradox:

MrT said:
The minimum resolution for the game is 1024 x 768 so you must also have a card and monitor that are capable of at least this resolution. There is no upper limit to resolution (if your card + monitor can display it, EU3 can feed it the data) but interfaces and fonts do not currently scale so the practical limit would be in the 1900x 1200 range, beyond which it might be too difficult to read the texts or control the interfaces.

Both games also allow you choose to play the game from within a window. This is not available to change in-game, but a fairly simple change to the Settings.txt file in the program files folder before you load the game can do this.

This means you should be able to play HOI3 in a wide variety of resolutions, including widescreen and dual-screen set-ups.

Goovy

Finally the radar getting the attention it deserves :)

Looking forward to hearing about Diplomacy, and Espionage missions

When was a whole infantry division EVER hidden in a jungle for an ambush? This isn't the war in Vietnam...

Seriously, I dare to give me a single example of where a whole regular division (or generally a formation of at least 10,000 people) was hiding in a forest waiting to ambush someone, in the 1936-1945 period. You get a personalized Alexander Seil cookie if you can find one.

What about operation Wacht am Rhein?

500,000 Germans hid in a forest and attacked the Allies with complete surprise.

The Allies were thinking along Seil's line of thought.. :)) never expected 10.000 to be hiding in there, let alone 500.000 :p

If you spot a fixed installation like an airbase, I hope that will not go away from your map if your intelligence level on the province decreases. It would be very annoying if you had to keep notes on paper with that many provinces.

I wonder, will I see intelligence of my allies?
F.e. It's year 1942 I play as Canada and i haven't got any spy in Germany. Anyway i will see that what see GB and USA (who have f.e 5 spies in Germany)

This means there must be a new stat (something like electronic noise of a unit or an object). Is that moddable?
P.S.
If it's mentioned before I'm sorry but I simply don't have time to read every comment.

Something that I've noticed that I would assume that is not at all in HOI3 that I've picked up from my reread of "Panzer Battles" by MG F.W. von Mellenthin:

During many of the battles on the Soviet front, the Germans used complete radio silence: orders up and down the chain were given in person, and it caught the Soviets by complete tactical and strategic surprise everytime. The Germans were pros at the radio silence, and there are plenty of examples of radio silence allowing for both surprise or disaster.

Would that be in the game?

I would think that it would be something that you could select when initiating combat, which would also work in MP, but the sword cuts both ways: when an army goes silent, something's up; which causes people to go !!!, ya know?

During many of the battles on the Soviet front, the Germans used complete radio silence: orders up and down the chain were given in person, and it caught the Soviets by complete tactical and strategic surprise everytime. The Germans were pros at the radio silence, and there are plenty of examples of radio silence allowing for both surprise or disaster.

Would that be in the game?
That would be totally awesome, perhaps as an option button click to "Use radio silence"

# Invisible to SIGINT.
# New orders take 24hours to have effect. (Retreat orders too!!!)
# Increase the magnitude of both friendly and enemy combat events by X% or casualties of both sides by Y%.

Perhaps even link some doctrine techs to it.

Imagine the disasters possible of two divisions stumbling onto eachother under radio silence ^^

I think radar stations and Signet should be two different things.
No icon representation of intelligence. The Intel view should be abstract and not represented on the board as a radar station. The view should be based upon your research skill level and spy network along with the HQ units and Divisional commanders.

The map is great but the view shouldn't be based upon an immovable icon on the map.

I don't think AA radar stations should be detectable by the other player until they reach a certain level of intelligence. We don't want a player bombing the hell out of infrastructure causing the opponent to go blind.

The radar should be destroyed when taking over a province.

The suggestion of a separate signet unit is very intriguing. I could go for that, but...it has been mentioned that only the Germans used it, while the allies relied upon the cracking the egnima code.

Last edited:
That would be totally awesome, perhaps as an option button click to "Use radio silence"

# Invisible to SIGINT.
# New orders take 24hours to have effect. (Retreat orders too!!!)
# Increase the magnitude of both friendly and enemy combat events by X% or casualties of both sides by Y%.

Perhaps even link some doctrine techs to it.

Imagine the disasters possible of two divisions stumbling onto eachother under radio silence ^^

Nah, you should get surprise effect which IMHO exists in HoI2 and a drop in unit organization :D

Status
Not open for further replies.