• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
it half-worked under wine: it was possible to start and play a new game, but a 3-year-played savegame was crashing when I tried to load it

P.S. haven't heard about such an OS - "toaster" o_O

Isn't the biggest problem with linux games the lack of hardware graphics support? AFAIK not every directx function can be ported (efficiently or at all) to linux. Considering that Hoi3 requires pixelshader 2.0 atleast, I doubt it will work properly. Expect nothing better than Eu3 on linux.

EU3 and Rome use DX9 and shaders, both of which may have trouble working entirely and with good performance under Wine. If it does work out of the box I'd be surprised.

Using WINE I was never able to load saved games in HoI2, and the game seemed slower and more sluggish, but in all other respects it worked fine. While I would love to see a Linux port of it released, it strikes me as being extremely unlikely. Does anyone know if EU3 or Rome work through WINE? If they do, then HoI3 should.

I know people who have had Eu3 running decently in wine. I can't remember if anyone tried Rome, but it is likely to run better due to lighter shaders.

If I remember correctly the things that didn't work in EU3 in wine were sound and I think the country borders looked screwed up (busy bees could mod this which would make them work, but be a bit uglier).

P.S. haven't heard about such an OS - "toaster" o_O
You mean emacs. Excellent OS, but lacks a decent text editor ;)

Jokes aside, EU3 worked somewhat under some version of wine. What didn't work was the game launcher: you had to start the game via the .exe file directly.

Forget native Linux support, that ain't gonna happen. Well, I'd love to stand corrected and pay 100 Euros for a Linux EU3 and/or HoI3 game... but still, ain't gonna happen.

I know people who have had Eu3 running decently in wine. I can't remember if anyone tried Rome, but it is likely to run better due to lighter shaders.

If I remember correctly the things that didn't work in EU3 in wine were sound and I think the country borders looked screwed up (busy bees could mod this which would make them work, but be a bit uglier).

yes, that was my guide in the beta forums.
i just posted it in the official EU3 forums too.

EU3 is pretty much working well on linux, with just a few shader issues
as EU3 and HOI3 share the same engine, i would not expect the compatibility to be worse.

Last edited:
Bump!

I've just tried to run HOI3 under linux. The game is referenced on Wine AppDb as Gold, unfortunatly I didn't manage to get it to work twice. Yes, it implies that it runned once. :D

Gamersgate installer run smoothly even if it takes years to install. Since Hoi2 took decades, i don't bother much.

I managed to install and run the game, but i didn't launch a game before starting to edit settings.txt (for resolution and windowed mode) and tweaking wine registry. Hence, as expected it ruined my installation and I didn't managed to reach main screen a second time. I'll try again this evening using a pristine wine prefix.

Please also note, that some eastern fonts make the hoi3 launcher to crash. You'll need to remove them in order to get the launcher to run.

Forget native Linux support, that ain't gonna happen. Well, I'd love to stand corrected and pay 100 Euros for a Linux EU3 and/or HoI3 game... but still, ain't gonna happen.

Just to add my voice here. I would pay for a port to Linux.

Look at the EU3 forums, there is a sticky about Linux and wine.

Look at the EU3 forums, there is a sticky about Linux and wine.

Thanks, I'll take a closer look.
Concerning native Linux support, I'll be glad this happen. I understand that it is not an easy target for dev team, thus i am happy with this relative wine compatibility.

@PI : Why not go for SDL instead of DirectX ? :)

The EU3-Linux thread introduce more information concerning settings.txt and other registry tweak that lacks on HOI3 page on wine's AppDb. Thus, I recommand people to have a look at them.

It seems that ATI drivers are not as good as Nvidia for EU3 engine.

EU3 tweaks introduce some dll overrides, wine's DLL should be replaced by paradox interactive's. Which again is not specified on AppDb pages for HOI3, that's yet another stuff to test this evening.

I'll try to summarize the situation and contact the HOI3 maintainer on AppDb regarding instructions. Wine support definitely requires a proper sticky in HOI3 subforums too. ;)

It's hard for me to understand some of the mentioned setting tweaks in the EU3 thread, as I never had these issues with HOI3. It runs perfectly out of the box. Only issues I have are some crashes, and those may come from the crappy ATI drivers. Other users are reporting hours of stable game play. I bet this is not just luck, Paradox probably worked towards this. Install the game, install dotnet and directX via winetricks, few more registry keys and voilà. To get a windowed HOI3, simply emulate a virtual desktop via winecfg. That's it. No fonts, no settings.txt, no nothing... :)

A sticky would be cool though, maybe someone could write a guide like the EU3 one.

BTW, d3dx9_36.dll is needed to make the game run, but installing dx9 with winetricks covers d3dx9_36.dll _and_ enables in-game music. That a good reason for not just copying d3dx9_36.dll...

msvcp60.dll is probably from the msvc redistributable offered by the HOI3 installer, so no need for this either.

Never mind d3dxof.dll, it's either not needed or also covered by installing DirectX 9 with winetricks.

Thanks Hennex, you globally answer all my interrogations.

Concerning the sticky and summary, I contacted the maintainer from Wine AppDb and pointed out both EU3 linux threads and this one. It is likely, he come around soon. Both AppDb and future sticky may benefit of such information sharing.

Thanks for the virtual desktop trick ! That's indeed a good thing to do.

About DLL, I confirm that the "not recommended and invasive" DirectX 9 package from winetricks activate sound wether the "recommended" dx9 don't provide sound. Thanks, about describing other DLL roles.

That's real pleasant to share knowledge with such an active community. I am really impressed by all those fan modifications that corrected the game only half a day of release. Thanks people ! ;)

Sorry, I cannot edit my post, or the POS-WYSIWYG Editor is not working. I want to correct my post, as I sayd "dx9" which is mistakable, as there is a package called "d3dx9" and one called "directx9" in winetricks. What I mean is:

- copy of native d3dx9_36.dll: fixes game-startup & enables sound effects
- "winetricks d3dx9": fixes game-startup & enables sound effects (I read this from Guibod's reply)
- "winetricks directx9": fixes game-startup & enables sound effects & enables music