• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Moreover, you can't have it in any mod, whatsoever.

Fair enough. However, since there are "Pillage" (Piratini Republic), "Burn City" (CSA takes Washington), "Enslave Minority" (Reverse on abolition of slavery, I remember Portugal) and other events of that sort in the game already (like Russians being abducted as slaves), I don't really see why there couldn't be such events in a SMAC mod. Further, genocide might not be the correct word for what I'm talking about, since SMAC cultures are political ideologies, pure and simple. You can't really call the US getting rid of the nazis an act of genocide.

On a sidenote, I have contacted Firaxis. I am waiting for a response, I fear it might take them some days, since today, at least where I live, it´s Saturday. Damn. I have to admit, after seeing the planetfall-mod for CiV4, I didn´t think about even needing permission, a grave mistake of course, even though the original game isn´t really sold anywhere anymore.

While the idea may not be actual genocide due to killing people based on ideology not fitting the cultural or genetic requirements. For that reason, the killing of 340,000 people in Vendee was not considered genocide despite the effort to exterminate all Vendeens on the basis of political belief. What this is mass murder and should not be incorporated in any game or mod.

You might have to send the request a few times as they might ignore or pass over it the first few times. It might be best to leave a few business days in between each few sendings.

Fair enough. However, since there are "Pillage" (Piratini Republic), "Burn City" (CSA takes Washington), "Enslave Minority" (Reverse on abolition of slavery, I remember Portugal) and other events of that sort in the game already (like Russians being abducted as slaves), I don't really see why there couldn't be such events in a SMAC mod. Further, genocide might not be the correct word for what I'm talking about, since SMAC cultures are political ideologies, pure and simple. You can't really call the US getting rid of the nazis an act of genocide.
Genocide, or ethnic cleansing, is defined as being the 'forced removal of a population from an area based on religious or ethnic reasons'. This encompasses forced migrations as well as actual killing. Subsequently, what you mention (pillaging, enslaving and burning down cities) were not an active attempt of genocide. Furthermore, sure they have deaths - as too does the Great War at the end of the game - but they are nonetheless not regarded as genocide/ethnic cleansing: it was not an active attempt at removing an entire population for ethnic or religious reasons.
On a sidenote, I have contacted Firaxis. I am waiting for a response, I fear it might take them some days, since today, at least where I live, it´s Saturday. Damn. I have to admit, after seeing the planetfall-mod for CiV4, I didn´t think about even needing permission, a grave mistake of course, even though the original game isn´t really sold anywhere anymore.
Surely more of a reason to let you develop this mod... it may help spur some interest in their (original) game.

Genocide is something that Paradox does not tolerate. Moreover, you can't have it in any mod, whatsoever.

You can not (really) commit genocide in the game. Planet Busting or Nerve Gassing is not genocide anymore than dropping an atom bomb in Hearts of Iron is genocide.

Donnie D how do you plan on intergrating nerve stapling?

You can not (really) commit genocide in the game. Planet Busting or Nerve Gassing is not genocide anymore than dropping an atom bomb in Hearts of Iron is genocide.
You can create events to remove POPs. Putting a negative value in for the add_pop command removes POPs. Also, I believe that could be one of the reasons why Paradox stepped away from using POPs in HoI - it could potentially touch on that grey area. Atomic bombs in HoI remove IC, etc... temporarily instead.

Donnie D how do you plan on intergrating nerve stapling?

You can create events to remove POPs. Putting a negative value in for the add_pop command removes POPs.[...]

He answered better than I ever could. An event triggered by revolters gives you the possibility to use Nerve Stapling, decreasing a small percentage of the population in that province (1% perhaps), reducing the provinces militancy a bit, but creates militancy (unrest and consciousness) for every other state in the game. Also, this should be possible for the different pop classes, for different effects perhaps. Also, there should be different ways like buying these guys of (morganite) or just using the Sphere (Hive,Believer) or "brood pits"(pirates and gaians [ugly thought actually :wacko:])

He answered better than I ever could. An event triggered by revolters gives you the possibility to use Nerve Stapling, decreasing a small percentage of the population in that province (1% perhaps), reducing the provinces militancy a bit, but creates militancy (unrest and consciousness) for every other state in the game. Also, this should be possible for the different pop classes, for different effects perhaps. Also, there should be different ways like buying these guys of (morganite) or just using the Sphere (Hive,Believer) or "brood pits"(pirates and gaians [ugly thought actually :wacko:])
The thing is... having a negative value for that command isn't like having a positive value... it gets rid of entire POP groups, sometimes, I believe? I'd steer clear of it not just for political reasons, but also because it is bugged like crazy!

Perhaps just reduce the POP growth somehow instead. You can do this with lowered LR, etc...

Also, Donnie, I'll try and get those shields amended, as you sugegsted by PM, sometime soon! Sorry haven't had them done yet... been busy with other things.

The thing is... having a negative value for that command isn't like having a positive value... it gets rid of entire POP groups, sometimes, I believe? I'd steer clear of it not just for political reasons, but also because it is bugged like crazy!

Perhaps just reduce the POP growth somehow instead. You can do this with lowered LR, etc...

Also, Donnie, I'll try and get those shields amended, as you suggested by PM, sometime soon! Sorry haven't had them done yet... been busy with other things.

Well then, good someone told me about the pop-thingy! And no need to rush, we have all the time in the world.
The Map would be the next important thing. Ahh, I think I should go pester Mr.Capiatlist a little :)

I hate my low patience threshold :D . No answer yet, send 3 mails up till now. Mhmm, perhaps I am sending them to the wrong person or so, I wonder, or maybe some automated function picks them up because they contain evil keywords and marks them as SPAM or something :wacko:

Do the e-mail addresses look recent or what about contacting someone at a support address and using them to get in contact with someone else?

Well, they seem correct as they are on the official Firaxis-Games website. On a sidenote, I´ve already contacted someone from the planetfall-mod to see whom they contacted and to possibly use the same person.

Last edited:
I've found that even in busy organizations, e-mail addresses get left up even when the people forget about them. One person I had contacted once had left it up for four years and had forgotten it. By then, he was working in a different job and so did not help.

You might have to work through help of some kind even if the route is more indirect than you would like.

I have decided to continue development of the mod, as it represents non-commercial fan-work, furthermore, I will restrict myself to use of text, graphics and some of the FX-sounds, neither voices, movies or anything will be used in the mod, as to not try to infringe upon anything dangerous.

"Don´t bother them, and they won´t bother you."

I will soon resume development. And I forgot about pestering Mr.Capiatlist. Damn :D

Last edited:
If you can figure out how to use the movies I think that you should. Alpha Centauri is such an old game that I seriously doubt that Firaxis cares in the slightest what people do with it. Also I just realised that it may be EA who you should be contacting, as don't they have the publishing rights?

If you can figure out how to use the movies I think that you should. Alpha Centauri is such an old game that I seriously doubt that Firaxis cares in the slightest what people do with it. Also I just realised that it may be EA who you should be contacting, as don't they have the publishing rights?

Thing is, I can not even imagine how to incorporate them, as not even Paradox ever used more movies than the intro ones and even those were not as much incorporated into the game as put before-

Thing is, I can not even imagine how to incorporate them, as not even Paradox ever used more movies than the intro ones and even those were not as much incorporated into the game as put before-

Perhaps you could use them as event pictures? They wouldn't move obviousley but it would add more colour to the mod.

Perhaps you could use them as event pictures? They wouldn't move obviousley but it would add more colour to the mod.

Good idea!

On a sidenote, any ideas what kind of units we are to use for the unchanged units in the bmp?

unitsre2.jpg