• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sarganto

Random User Title
37 Badges
Mar 11, 2007
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Deus Vult
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
Fascist_Italy_flag.jpg

Welcome to my Roma Armageddon AAR!

As pointed out in an other thread, there are almost no Armageddon AARs.

Why? I don't know, because I think this scenario is hilarious, especially playing with Roma.
I had to abort my first game, when I played with them, but it was the first time I really felt challenged by a scenario. I had to abort my first Armageddon game with Roma, due to the bug with ridiculous long maximum fire distances for naval units, but I patched and fixed it and so I thought, for the second time, I'll do an AAR for it, just because there aren't any :D

I won't develop a story around it. If you want fun, a little bit story and so on, go to my other AAR. This will be pure gameplay and maaaaaybe a little bit fun stuff (sometimes, I can't stop myself :D )

So with no further blabla, let's have a look at our situation.

I can describe it with many pictures or three words: We are screwed.

1.jpg

Enemies everywhere. To the west, we have the Bourbon-French, to the north are the Prussia-Germans, to the east we have the Cossacks and the evil Ottomans. Even in our holdings in Africa, we are bordering the French to the west and the Ottomans to the East. We have no access to any of our Stalinist allies that are spread all over the world. The next ones to us are the "European Soviets" to the north, they have the British Isles and a beachhead in the Netherlands and Belgium. I have to pay attention, that they don't get crushed between the French and the Germans, but eventually I hope to connect with their territory. In the south, we have the "APR", owning 2/3 of the African continent. I expect them to steamroll France and the Ottomans out of Africa, if I can't do it. The French and Ottomans will need most of their untis in Europe, so I don't expect them to ship too many troops over to Africa. And that's the end of the good news.

We have 1918 infantry unit in every border-province and some more at our Italian beach-provinces. In addition to that, we have 6 armored divisions in in Rome and we will have to think about the front, where we will use them. This gives us a total of 60 divisions, 54 infantry and 6 armored.

Let's take a look at our allies:

2.jpg

We also have 8 Fighter Wings and 8 Tactical-Bomber Wings, but they are only the superweak Interwar models. Good enough for some strength draining and organization bashing, but too bad to kill any divisions like hordes of German CAS :D

But let's go on with our overview. Every nation starts with the same technologies and that is almost nothing. We even have to research '36 infantry and so on. So this is what I chose to research first:

3.jpg

Explanation:
- Infantry '36 as we are relying heavily on infantry and they have an uber-advantage over '18 Infantry, so if we have them first, we will gain a huge advantage early on.
- Mech-Agri - NEEED MOOOORE MAAAAANPOOOWAAAAR
- Mobility Focus Doctrine - Obviously, the best doctrine, so why pick the other tree? Let's go for Blitzkrieg :D
- Basic Machine Tools - NEEED MOOOORE INDUSTRIAAAAL POWWAAAARR
- Medium Great War Arty - I had to choose between this and the next Tank-development, but I think that it will take too much time to research 2 tank-techs to upgrade my tanks, which is VERY IC-heavy and takes some time, so I will go for new arty, which I will need anyway, to stop enemy-tanks with my infantry (my own tanks can't be everywhere).

Let's go to production.
What we need is meat. Meat to cover our immensely overstretched lines. And something to make our meat a little bit harder to eat. Especially with tanks.
So what we will produce:
4x10 arty
This will cover all of our infantry in Europe and will also leave some arty for our African troops. The first arty-brigades are ready in 43 days. Time is crucial here, so the middle of February sounds fine. Maybe I will switch at some point to the new models, because the gearing bonus isn't worth that much here.

1x10 '18 Infantry + arty-brigade
It is crap to build them, when you know you have to upgrade them and you can build them cheaper after you have researched the '36 upgrade, but we REALLY need them. 81 days will be at the end of March. After that, we will hopefully start to build '36 Infantry.

2x6 Militia
Ewww...not that I like Militia, but we need something to fill the holes in our line and they are good enough to hold a mountain-province with the help of an infantry division, so they may free up some regular infantry divisions for other duties.

I can't think of any real other use for our IC at the moment. Navy isn't that important at the moment and building a decent airforce would cost too much IC and as long as we didn't research any further advanced airforce techs, it's a waste of IC and time. Two things, we don't have.

4.jpg

Oh and before I started production, I moved the slider towards Hawk Lobby. Faster and cheaper production for the win!

5.jpg

So that was a brief overview and I will highlight the fronts in the next update, their problems and chances and what we expect to lose and what to gain :)

Last edited:
I agree with you about arma AARs, there aren't that many. I've always thought of doing an Australasia AAR but thier manpower is terrible, something like .07 mp daily, but loads of sea to protect yourself with. My thoughts for you are build a medium sized navy, with a few transports and attack through Alsace-lorraine first tomeet up with the european soviets. Just rememberd that APR will link up with you quickly as they are the only nation to prioritise Africa.

I agree with you about arma AARs, there aren't that many. I've always thought of doing an Australasia AAR but thier manpower is terrible, something like .07 mp daily, but loads of sea to protect yourself with. My thoughts for you are build a medium sized navy, with a few transports and attack through Alsace-lorraine first tomeet up with the european soviets. Just rememberd that APR will link up with you quickly as they are the only nation to prioritise Africa.
You already start with a navy, that is enough to cover amphibious operations and with some improvements in the naval doctrines, you can even beat the Ottomans and French. But the simple problem is, that I don't have enough divisions, even to hold the front. So amphibious operations are only possible in a rather small size, to disturb the enemy and snatch some IC and resources for some time.

I've never played Arma scenarios myself. This should be interesting to watch. Good Luck! ;)

i will watch this.
i recently played a ARMA game with roma(because of tito,khm)
and i suggest crushing the ottomans first and a little fall back in the west to the alps. a

The Fronts

6.jpg

This front should be at least defendable with the forces I have there. Maybe, if France or Germany push into Freiburg or Mulhouse, it can be that I have to retreat from Geneva and Zürich. This can also happen, when they amass their tanks there. But the mountains should be holdable.

7.jpg

Linz and Hollabrund are more or less unholdable, when the Germans decide to take them, so I will have to retreat those to divisions to Salzburg and Vienna, which will be relatively stable then. The real problematic provinces here are Gyor, Miskolc and Debrecen. All of them are plains and especially Miskolc has three provinces, it can be attacked from. Falling back to Szeged will be necessary at one or another point. Maybe one or two additional infantry divisions here will do the trick.

8.jpg

The front to the cossacks will be holdable with the divisions I have there. I expect the cossacks to concentrate on other fronts and leave the difficult terraint for now. But the Ottomans will definately throw in some of their tanks and therefore break through Nis and Novi Pazar easily, if I don't do anything to prevent that. The next problem is, that the Ottomans are allied to the Germans and I really have to prevent them from connecting their territory.

9.jpg

Ok, we are the Italians. We won't do too much here haha :D
Holding the line here will be enough at the moment. When we can free up some more divisions in Africa, we will push the Ottomans into Egypt and make some amphibious landings behind their armies.

10.jpg

APR will push up here. Maybe I will set the divisions to Support Attack, but otherwise they just have to hold the territory here, until Angola has met our lines.

11.jpg

This is the only front, where we can hope to push into the enemy territory. France has some valuable provinces in Morocco, that we want. If we are too slow or the French bring in reinforcements, the APR will do the work for us.

Great! Roma is my favorite ARMA nation!
I made a complete WC with it
Took out Prussia first(very easy) then Borubon and then Ott after that nothing could stop me (just bother me and delay the inevitable) ;)

Interesting! :D

And best wishes!

I just miss Maximus Decimus Meridius :D

And best wishes!

I just miss Maximus Decimus Meridius :D
Oh yes, I also miss...wait... what? WHO?

Never heard that name. Never cared. Never will.

All that matters is: HOW CAN I BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THOSE DAMN FRENCHIES!

May I lose 3/4 of my territory, when I at least get to annex those Frogeaters. GNARRRR!!!!
Screw them!
*takes a sip from his umh...like twelfth beer*

Never heard that name. Never cared. Never will.

Never mind:D

All that matters is: HOW CAN I BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THOSE DAMN FRENCHIES!

That's the REAL question. All that matters is having the froggies thrown at the channel.

Dunno if our wonderful mate Fernando Torres would be amused by that...

Organization and first moves

At the beginning, my navy consists of 2 Carriers, 2 BBs, 2 BCs, 2 HCs, 4 CLs, 4 DDs, 2 Transports and 4 Subs. I split the 4 Subs from the Main-Fleet, rebase them at Sardinia and let them hunt some French convois. Sooner or later, the French navy will show up and destroy the Subs, but they are crap anyway.
With the Main-Fleet, I will transport the divisions in Italy to the Balkans, where I really need them to defend against the Ottomans.

12.jpg

I decided to split my 6 tanks into 2 corps, one with 2 tanks that I will send to the balkans and one with 4 tanks, that I will send to Zürich. Every infantry division, standing in a province without an enemy border, is ordered to a border province and the italian divisions will be divided almost equally to the French and the Ottoman front. I hope I don't need to reinforce my German border, maybe at Györ and Debrecen.

The Masterplan is, with the help of the British, to finish the French first or at least push them into the iberian peninsular and get a short front, to free up divisions for the German and Ottoman front. I will set most of the new built divisions to the French front, so I should be ready in late March, together with my tanks, to push into France.
At one point or another, I will have to assume control of the British, because the AI is retarded and won't ship new troops and their tanks to the beachhead. And they are too stupid to keep the Swedish guys away from Denmark. It is really not necessary that they also throw in their tanks and threaten the British from the north.

So that's the rough organization plan.

13.jpg

I didn't give every army a leader yet. I gave the armies, that will see some direct action the good leaders and I will assign the rest via auto-assign, because it's not really important yet. I will switch the generals and field-marshalls from one-division-armies to bigger ones as needed, but for now I mostly have those 1-division-armies.

So, the next thing to do will be unpausing :D

First days of Armageddon

First thing to happen in this game the Germans testing our defences in Miskolc and Linz. The attack only lasted for one hour, but it's clear, where they will strike in the next days.

14.jpg

Later that day, the Ottomans launch their first attack in Nis and try to snatch our unguarded province Podgorica. I use all my bombers and fighters to establish air superiority in that region and bomb that marching unit in Tirana to shreds.

15.jpg

16.jpg

Meanwhile, the real attacks at Linz and Miskolc have started. We have no chance of winning them, as the Germans are attacking us from 3 or 4 sides. But we use the attack of Linz, to counter-attack the involved infantry in Munich.

17.jpg

When conquering Munich, I can hope to also gain Friedrichshafen and then dug in behind the Danube river.
And I finally retreat my divisions from Linz to Salzburg and from Miskolc to Szeged.

18.jpg

Soon after that, the germans started attacking Hollabrunn. I used that oppurtunity, to attack Bratislava from three sides, just to keep those Germans running around for some time. I won't enter that province, because they would throw me out in no time.
Looking at the picuture, I guess Russia has taken over military control over Prussia, therefore I always see the Russian flag, when fighting against Germany. Lame :/
Or they have given all their divisions as expeditionary corps to Russia. But then I would see the Russian flag at the map too, no?

18-1.jpg

20.jpg

That's the situation so far. Retreating from Hollabrunn, Miskolc, Linz and Nis. Then a few small battles in Africa, but nothing too important.

I am still thinking about how often and what time-period I should cover in every update, because I feel it's a little bit too slow, when I only cover 3 or 4 days in every update, but then again I don't want to keep out any details.

I am still thinking about how often and what time-period I should cover in every update, because I feel it's a little bit too slow, when I only cover 3 or 4 days in every update, but then again I don't want to keep out any details.
I usually do a month or two in with my Soviet AAR and only focus on the important battles. But maybe Armageddon AARs are a bit different, so it's up to you. ;)