• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(64626)

Private
Jan 17, 2007
Anyone know how to find the serial number for the steam version of Rome so I can register for the Tech forum. Failing that, how do you fix a bug where the land appears to be under water? Game still playable but I am beginning to worry that all my soldiers are going to get trench foot.
Thanks in advance.

The question has been forwarded to Paradox (I got a PM about it too) - but with Christmas around the corner, I'm not sure if any paradoxians are still working.

Meanwhile, have you asked steam?

I had the same problem with mine. I had the Steam client verify the integrity of the files which seem to find some problems so it redownloaded them. Everything looks fine now. If your unsure how to do that, Right click EU:Rome > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of game cache

Last edited:
Still we want to get you guys a registration code.

I'm sort of in the same boat. Game runs fine but I'd like to register it if I could get a serial. Have any luck with that ticket with the Steam people?

Not yet - likely to take some time.

I know that some steam games store the serial in the registry but I had no luck looking for this one. Will just have to wait and see if I get a reply back form valve.

Cool. Hope it gets resolved soon. People look naked without icons under their avatars. :D

It's funny how every single game forum I open always has some problems with Steam described. Steam admins should pull their shit together, cause they have thousands of mad customers already.

It's funny how every single game forum I open always has some problems with Steam described. Steam admins should pull their shit together, cause they have thousands of mad customers already.

I`ve never had a problem with steam. As far as DRM goes, It`s one of the easiest to get along with. I would prefer to play half life with out it. But, That`s the way it is these day`s.

I'm not telling I had problems with STEAM myself, I haven't even used it. I wanted to (for Mass Effect) but after I saw how many threads there are on different forums with it, I just resigned and ordered a normal copy.

I'm one of those potential clients who were discouraged from using STEAM due to its bad rep all over the net.

I've used Steam for the Half Life series, but not much else. I didn't have a problem with DRM.

There are other problems than DRM. For example patches for Steam version sometimes come much later than patches for normal distribution (if they ever come). A good example of that is X3: Terran Conflict (excellent spacesim Freelancer-like game btw). They didn't even bother to make 1.2.1 for Steam and (I think, haven't checked) still didn't release 1.3 for although it's available for everybody else for like a month already.

Another problem is that sometimes mods refuse to work with Steam version. You need to do some hacking to run Broken Crescent or Stainless Steel mods for M2TW for example. Sucks hard.

My only beef with steam is that it takes bloody forever to get a game running sometimes.

And it doesn't patch on it's own...

For example patches for Steam version sometimes come much later than patches for normal distribution (if they ever come).

You`re right. I only use steam when I have too. I have bought some games on there, Only one`s I can`t find at retail anymore. I personally haven`t had a problem with it. It does take too long to load, That`s my only gripe.

I like GamersGate. It's neat, it's fast. It has normal version of games (distribution not some Steam DRM freakshow) and downloader is very good too. It's designed by people who make games on daily basis so interface is actually useful (not like Stardock's Impulse).

I don't see a point why I'd move from GG and suddenly buy a game on Steam now when I have EU3+NA+IN and Rome+VV bought on GG. I like keeping stuff in one place. And 2 euro of Steam's discount doesn't convince me either.

Got a reply from steam support re. my question about the CD key; they said to email support@paradoxplaza.com. Will do this but if everyone at Paradox is away for a well deserved Xmas break not expecting a reply anytime soon.

With regards to the discussion above about Steam I would have to say most of the problems arise out of a lack of communication between Steam and third party publishers. This seems to be a case in point - Paradox should have spotted that the lack of a cd key would cause a problem but so should the folks at steam. Any way I am confident that things will be sorted out even if it means a wait till the new year.

Will report back if I get a replay from Paradox support.

BTW - Really enjoying the game.

I get a lot of stuff off of Steam. The biggest problem with it is patch availability. Everything else has been ok for me. I'd rather get the game by some type of download and steam is the one I've had the least problems with.

Got a reply from steam support re. my question about the CD key; they said to email support@paradoxplaza.com. Will do this but if everyone at Paradox is away for a well deserved Xmas break not expecting a reply anytime soon.

With regards to the discussion above about Steam I would have to say most of the problems arise out of a lack of communication between Steam and third party publishers. This seems to be a case in point - Paradox should have spotted that the lack of a cd key would cause a problem but so should the folks at steam. Any way I am confident that things will be sorted out even if it means a wait till the new year.

Will report back if I get a replay from Paradox support.

BTW - Really enjoying the game.

I e-mailed the paradox people a couple of days ago and after explaining the situation, where there is simply no key available at all, got this in reply:

Hello, thanks for the update.

I will check if there has been any mis-communication between us and Steam on the way. Of course everyone should receive their code for the game to be
able to register it online.

Best Regards,
Paradox Interactive Support
support@paradoxplaza.com

So it looks like not only is there some poor soul holding down the support line over the holidays, but they'll actually be checking with Steam to see how to resolve this (sounds like the Steam people didn't realize keys would be an issue). Either way I'm happy to receive such prompt support and since you and presumably other people will be asking about keys for Steam copies as well hopefully it will get resolved soon!

EDIT: From another thread, just got this important bit of advice that might help others. Steam does actually have the game's manual, it's just not available off of the right click menu associated with Rome via the game's tab. Instead, you need to right click it and select "view store page," and then look to the right side of the page - should be a link to the manual from there. Conversely you can just navigate directly to http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/23420/Rome Manual_8.pdf?t=1229644982 assuming you are signed in to Steam (I don't believe it will load otherwise).

Doesn't solve the other problems associated with being unable to register it but hey it's something!

Last edited: