• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wait, now you're suddenly a democracy?

So, you're a democracy now? And the Charter Association seems awfully moderate. :confused: As for the notable acts, the one about the mentally ill struck me as interesting. How long until dissidents get locked up in Bedlam with a diagnosis of "sluggishly progressing schizophrenia" (i.e. dissent) like in the USSR? :D Also, a National Militia that apparently has both a defence and law enforcement role? Doesn't bode well.

Also, a National Militia that apparently has both a defence and law enforcement role? Doesn't bode well.

To say it with Commander William Adama from Battlestar Galactica:

There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

Wait, now you're suddenly a democracy?

Of course! After the interim administration, the Six Points have been put into practice (complete with the annual elections...).

There's just only one party to vote for at the moment...

There's just only one party to vote for at the moment...
This, combined with the Mental Health Act, could be ominous. Not that I would care much though as long as beer and cigarettes are cheaper :eek:o
Will there come a summary of what overseas territories in the near future (or are nearly 12% of the population on the British Isles non-British?)?

Wait, wasn't your national value changed to equality? In the latest screenshot it says equality.

Regardless, I found several things very foreboding in this update. So does this mean that Ireland is now a satellite of the Commonwealth?

I eagerly await more news about the Working Man's Exploits, especially in regards to finishing the Lords of all kinds once and for all, cleaning the land of more subtle forms of lunacy, and promoting a Healthier Culture of the Masses, and other things That Look Important when Unnecessarily Capitalised.

Also, what about international reactions? Will our French Brothers perhaps attempt to form a... oh let's call it "commune", any time soon? ;)

THE FALL OF THE LION
February 1842
__________________________________________________________________________________

Lord Auckland’s Public Letter
March 3rd 1841

1auckland.jpg

It is with great sorrow and a heavy-heart that I write this dispatch. The abuses and obstinacies of the “Subdirector of Indian Affairs” which the interim metropolitan administration has deemed fit to appoint are of a nature we do not find easy to believe. That a man who has never left the confines of Europe sees fit to lecture and constrain our senior officials upon the correct means of managing the territories under the control of our Presidencies and meddle in our treaties with the native princes, is difficult enough in itself to bear. That he is seeking to engineer the dismissal of many of those aforesaid officials and commanders, threatening even to bring them to trial in Britain on meaningless charges, is nothing short of insulting. And that he sees it appropriate to insist upon sending all manner of rabble-rousing riff-raff to meddle in our affairs is ensuring that the task of maintaining order and good governance grows increasingly testing.

We trust that Your Lordship will recollect that the Armies of Bengal, Madras and Bombay constitute over 200,000 armed men - of whom over one tenth are trained Europeans - which are funded solely by the revenues generated in this land. The frankly bizarre schemes to end Indian customs duties and bring all manner of strange novelties into the systems of land taxation and organization are not only contrary to the most ancient customs of Bengal and Hindustan, but will make this necessary military force impossible to maintain. The army must be – and still remains – fully capable of defending the Company realms from any threat.

We would further draw Your Lordship’s attention to the issue that the Charter of the Honourable East India Company was bestowed by the Royal Sovereign of the United Kingdom. We note that, with such position being [ still ] unoccupied, it was only in good faith that we saw it appropriate to accept the newly constituted administration in Westminster as a nominal successor until a more permanent arrangement could be reached.

All this being taken into consideration, it is with much regret that I must inform Your Lordship that the Honourable East India Company and its treaty-bound allies do hereby state that, conditions being insufferable as they are, we will henceforth exercise our independence of action and administration over Indian affairs, and will move to fully guarantee the security of our borders and commercial routes, until the soundings of a saner policy emanate from London.

We do sincerely hope that freedom of trade between the Our Company and the Metropole should be maintained, in order that the bonds of trade and commercial intercourse may maintain and continue to build what those of political authority have so manifestly failed to do.

Yours respectfully,
Sir George Eden, Earl of Auckland.

1H19279IndiaHall.jpg

First Handwritten Note -
To G.H - CoPS,
Render this dispatch Most Secret and Confidential, and outside the scrutiny of the Commons.
Make preparations for troops, the fleet, and agents of the Commission of Public Security to be dispatched to the East as expediently as is possible.
F. C., 9/10/1841.

Second Handwritten Note
To HH, HoC,
Forwarded. Grave & Impossible instructions. Enough is enough. Lion’s marbles lost. Make preparations with the Good Doctor Knox. His Lordship can roast in H---stan.
G.H. 23/10/1841

1RobertKnox.jpg

A Most Tragic Turn of Events...
2nd February 1842

1Rowlandson_Medical_Dispatch.jpg

Upon the Recommendation of Dr. Robert Knox MD, FCCSEd, FCSEd,

And the Judgement of a Jury Consisting of THE FULL BODY OF THE HOUSE OF COMMONS

A CERTIFICATION OF LUNACY

Is hereby bestowed upon

MR. FEARGUS O’CONNOR, M.P.

In the cause of DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOUR, NARCICISSTIC MEGALOMANIA and UNCONTROLLED OUTBURSTS OF TEMPER.

He is forthwith instructed to convalesce under the Direction of Subsection 6B [Category E] of the National Board of Works
until further recommendations have been provided for.

Public Reactions to "The Unknown O'Connor"
Broadcast 21st January 1983

1heathbb.jpg

To the Brotherly Director of the PPN,

I was both shocked and appalled by your photovisual emission of 6pm Saturday last, which, under the title “The Unknown O’Connor,” most shamefully suggested that the great Feargus O’Connor was suffering from a syphilitic inflammation of the senses towards the end of his life. This is contrary to all known facts. It is well-known that O’Connor, founder of Our Commonwealth and the true Prometheus of Modern Times, driven by his heroically fiery personality, sacrificed his wits for the Good of the People under the great strain of Government. For this the whole of humanity shall forever be grateful to him.

I should hope that no more money and broadcasting time will be wasted in these puerile efforts to defame the name of great men such as he in the name of crass sensationalism.

Yours fraternally,
Mr. Simon Baxter

Jingles - Yep, the transformation from the Proletarian Dictatorship to the democracy changed the value to liberty - which works as well. And Ireland is officially a liberated satellite.

Freakie & Eams
- Developments in the other colonies and the rest of the world will be gone over very soon...

Cinead - :D The people's watchdogs are being rather more subtle at the moment!

Hooray for India! Finally, some sanity in the Empire. However, I wonder why Auckland says that the position of Sovereign is still unfilled. Would it not automatically be Victoria, regardless of whether she has been formally crowned or not? Also, what happened to Hanover? Has Ernest Augustus I allowed a court-in-exile to form there, around Victoria?

I also wonder at how easy the Revolution seemed to have established itself, as the Old Order seemed to just melt away. What about tenant farmers loyal to their landlords, or factory workers who still showed deference to their employers? Is their no Royalist sentiment remaining in Britain? Will we see the 19th-century version of Jacobite risings?

A marvellous update. I love the old caricatures you use! :D I knew the mental health act would be put to political uses soon enough. I wonder if the exiled aristos (and Vicky) will form some kind of state in the territory of British India, a la Angrezi Raj. Those Hindoo chaps are easier to control than the unruly proles at home. :p

So the Crown Jewel, or in this case just the Jewel, of the Empire has been lost. I wonder how the homeland British forces would fare against the claimed 200,000 EIC forces. Eagerly anticipating your next update :)

God bless George Eden! What we need now is for the Royal Navy to flee its way to Bombay and set up port there. That would be frickin' awesome! Nice way you are portraying this "democracy" in action. The arrest of O'Conner must have some sort of repurcussions, no? And the map of India is yummy.

Uh, I missed something - is the king dead or merely deposed? I thought he just got locked up?