• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Steam Lords? Now why does that term make me think of giant turbine-powered mechanical spiders?
The latest update was An Excellent Display of Tackiness, Melodrama and Capital Letters! You've just managed to mock horrid communist propaganda along with equally horrid early 20th century jingoist propaganda.

Down with the oppressors and their willing slaves! :mad:

:D "Steam Lord" or "Steam Aristocrat" was actually a contemporary radical term which was relatively prevalent in Chartist rhetoric, so it's not completely weird!

Also, I've remembered that our movement needs an appropriate and flag - given the rapid development of events and the time-period, both the Union Jack and anything excessively red are probably out, but I'm not sure what would work. Some sort of tricolor would be historically appropriate, and this one was apparently used, but it's a bit difficult to avoid making it look both generic and hideous!

Last edited:
So the government makes the first mistake, and make martyrs out for no gain. It can only to continue to go down hill from here for the Peel administration...

So the government makes the first mistake, and make martyrs out for no gain.

Indeed.

It would be truly ghastly to even suggest that someone as Esteemed and Revered as Mrs. Pothelswaite would ever seek to tell anything but the Unvarnished and Unembellished Truth of the Sacrifices of the People to the Good Children of the Commonwealth.

Also, I've remembered that our movement needs an appropriate and flag - given the rapid development of events and the time-period, both the Union Jack and anything excessively red are probably out, but I'm not sure what would work.
Ok, Ok, I get it. Not giving me a lot to work here you know? I don't even know what symbols The Most Worthy of Movements used.

But here goes a wild guess aka "first sketch"

edit: gah! Got the date wrong. Anyway, you get it.

Looks like good and along the right lines (if quite similar to the Irish, but anyway...), but I'm not sure how the liberty-cap and numbers would look when reduced to Vicky flag size.

I do quite like the cog, torch and hammer(?) design from Kaiserreich - could that go in the middle instead?

Well, the Irish would certainly flock to that flag :p
It is however IMHO a significant improvement to the original flag, though the cap would probably need to be stylized.

I do quite like the cog, torch and hammer(?) design from Kaiserreich - could that go in the middle instead?
Ye kiding me? That was my first thought, but I couldn't find it in any "copy-pastable" support (the shields of KR are already distorted) so I dumped it.

Point me the originals and I'll put them in. (center, top left?)

The Great Rising of the People
November 1837 to August 1838
__________________________________________________________________________________

MAP01uprising.jpg

synbees.jpg

northernstat.jpg

Latest Telegrams
23rd March 1838

It is said that the troopers of the Parliament of the Idle are continuing the suppression of the people of Wales with great ferocity, acting more like wild beasts than men. Yet it is known that in expending such furious energy against our valiant Welsh Brethren that the tyrants do weaken themselves while the rest of the country remains grasping at its liberty. The spirits of the nation cannot be crushed.

The Great O’Connor, The Lion of the Freedom, issues forth a call for elected representatives from the Free Counties and Boroughs to be sent to Leeds for the constitution of a True National Parliament of the Industrious. The Heroic One-Hundred-and-Sixty-Three Seceders from the Parliament of the Idle are to be accepted amongst them.

The Democratic Association of Derbyshire, declares the following: “After Eight Hundreds of Years of Usurpations and Injustices against the Common Folk of Our County, We do declare that Chatsworth House and its surrounding forests, enclosed fields and parklands be re-enshrined as To Be Held in Common as Common Land by the Aforesaid Working Folk of the County, to Till, Gather and Labour therein freely as is enshrined through their grievously infringed Ancestral Rights.”

The Post from Ireland brings the Great News that an Assembly of the Irish People has met at the Hill of Tara, with the aim of throwing off the Royal Yoke and reclaiming their ancient freedoms. The People of Britain stand in brotherhood with them.​

MAP02-uprisingii.jpg

Dispatch of William Ewart Gladstone, MP (1809-1838)
To Sir Robert Peel, First Lord of the Treasury and Chancellor of the Exchequer

punchpetitioncartoon-1.jpg

19th August 1838

My Lord,

I beg to forward to Your Lordship the following report, which contains only the gravest of news. The fury of the mob cannot be denied. It is well known that Ireland was lost some time ago and that the North and Wales remain in a state of chaos. It is now with the deepest regret that I must inform Your Lordship that the violence has overtaken London itself. Armed with pikes, muskets and even their own hand-tools - turned away from productive labour for the sake of mindless destruction - the rioters have seized control of Southwark, Holborn and much of the City, and are now parading down the Strand. I have been informed that a larger number of dishevelled and intemperate cut-throat-looking ruffians could not be imagined - too busy looting wine-cellars and dancing “La Carmagnole” to appreciate the catastrophes they have unleashed.

The volunteer constables, Friends of Order to a man, are fighting running battles in the streets and arcades with the demoralized and dejected hordes. Yet still, homes are broken into and looted, shops burned down, property despoiled … and worse.

It has been further reported that the King, already in weak health, has fled to France. The possibility of offering the Crown to his nineteen year-old niece, even had she not escaped to the safety of Saxe-Coburg some months ago, is widely considered too ridiculous to contemplate under the present terrible circumstances.

I do not know what has occurred for Providence to see fit for our once proud country to have such disasters visited upon her, but conditions are now as if the earth under our feet has turned to water, with all that has been built over the centuries ready to be submerged beneath the howling of a descending tempest.

I Remain Your Lordship's Most Obedient Servant,

W. E. Gladstone.

Great Paperstore of the Commonwealth, Series OCS/5/63/2311.

greatfireofsouthwark.jpg

So the Revolution has taken the British Isles and scared off the monarchs. A great success for the Charter, though by what Gladstone says, altough i suppose it is mosly exaggurated, the Chartists do not seem in any state to form a government.

I don't know if Gladstone's exaggerating , particularly not since he doesn't seem to survive the revolution.

Model 1

Model 2

Model 3

Model 4

I also considered a USA-like flag, but it would probably clash with the specific spirit of this revolution would it not?