+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HoI3 (and other Paradox projects) on IGN PC Games of Summer List

Philosopher of the Future Alexander Seil's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae Victis

HoI3 (and other Paradox projects) on IGN PC Games of Summer List

Old news (mid-June), but I don't think it was ever linked here (it's not in the HoI in the Press thread)

http://pc.ign.com/articles/996/996142p1.html

Star Swirl the Bearded Baneslave's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Hmm, interesting. There is surprising amount of discussion about HoI3 around web. Somehow, that betrays my view that Paradox is just minor game developer.

Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourRome Gold
    Semper FiMount & Blade: WarbandEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

If you have had the view that Paradox is aminor developer you must have been sleeping under a rock for along time Baneslave!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions

Indeed. I think their "indy developer" stage ended about, what, 4 years ago? Whenever they dropped Strategy First as a publisher.

HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Korpen999 View Post
    If you have had the view that Paradox is aminor developer you must have been sleeping under a rock for along time Baneslave!
    Well, minor is wrong word, but... non-mainstream would be more fitting. It is quite rare to see non-mainstream games being previewed so eagerly.

Quote Originally Posted by Baneslave View Post
    Well, minor is wrong word, but... non-mainstream would be more fitting. It is quite rare to see non-mainstream games being previewed so eagerly.
    My definition of mainstream is whatever appears in the mainstream press, so HoI3 is definitely mainstream. That's how you "go mainstream" - people who have paying jobs writing about games start writing about your game.

Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourRome Gold

Sorry i think you are wrong again Paradox has been mainstream and a distinguished developer since Hoi1 and EU1.

Now "Madminutegames" for example is not a mainstream developer. Neither is "Nitro games".

Sorry i think you are wrong again Paradox has been mainstream and a distinguished developer since Hoi1 and EU1.

Now "Madminutegames" for example is not a mainstream developer. Neither is "Nitro games".
    Depends on what you consider mainstream. For example, I don't think that Armed Assault 2 is mainstream game, nor do I consider any of Paradox's games as mainstream. On the other hand Portal and GTA4 are mainstream games, as everyone seems to have played them.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Depends on what you consider mainstream. For example, I don't think that Armed Assault 2 is mainstream game, nor do I consider any of Paradox's games as mainstream. On the other hand Portal and GTA4 are mainstream games, as everyone seems to have played them.
    I agree with you. Mainstream games are the GTA series.. The halo Series... Half life series... Counter Strike... Red Alert.. Classics, so to say.

That's my 2 cents.

Cheers,
    Nick

If you dont consider Hoi or EU serie of games mainstream then im really sorry for you

77 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesHoI AnthologyCities in Motion
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDiplomacyEast India Company Collection
    Elven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron III Collection
    ImpireIron CrossKing Arthur IILead and GoldLegio
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    Penumbra - Black PlaguePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldShip Simulator Extremes
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarStarvoid
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    War of the RosesPride of NationsRise of PrussiaKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Mainstream is not necessarily a good thing, neither is it essentially bad. I suppose a game becomes mainstream when it is just a part of an extended genre, when its content is easily predictable by a gamer just by hearing its a "strategy" for example. Under this light, Paradox Games were completely non-mainstream at the beginning, no one could suspect what they were about before playing.
    I remember back when EU 1 was about to come out, i had read a very short review and a couple of screenshots in a gaming mag, so i thought i would give it a try. It was not what i expected (it was much better), and i couldn't have known (though i am a strategy fan since 87) because it just wasn't mainstream back then.
    I suppose today Paradox Games are indeed mainstream, since everybody knows what they are about. The fact that the genre they refer to has been born just to accommodate them, is a rare privilege that only games like Civilization or Sim City have achieved. Personally, i am glad they have become "mainstream" games. It means that intelligent games are "sexy" once more, just like back in the 80's.
    And do believe me, that is good !
    Leader of the late Eutopian Marxist Party.
    Retired Grand Herald of the AGC.

Come over to the DARK SIDE.........we have cookies!

If you dont consider Hoi or EU serie of games mainstream then im really sorry for you
    They are excellent games, but I don't think that they are mainstream. For example, if I go and ask my friends how many of them has played Portal, everyone says yes. If I ask how many of them has played HoI2, two out of ten might answer yes.

Mainstream =/= guaranteed to be a good game

They are excellent games, but I don't think that they are mainstream. For example, if I go and ask my friends how many of them has played Portal, everyone says yes. If I ask how many of them has played HoI2, two out of ten might answer yes.

Mainstream =/= guaranteed to be a good game

If thats your view that mainstream is guaranteed to be good game then i definetly cant agree with you. Portal what is that? Where i come from such games as Portal and CS are sadly dominated by cheaters and everyone i meet classifiy those games as brainfodder played by 12 year olds that only play em since WoW servers is down. Paradox games on the other hand have established themselves on the good side of mainstream were in people that are interested in history and enjoy thinking are proud to own their games. If i ask a mainstream CS kid what his favourite thing with HoI 2 is he will look at me like im from Mars.
    oops feel like we're going offtopic here

If thats your view that mainstream is guaranteed to be good game then i definetly cant agree with you. Portal what is that? Where i come from such games as Portal and CS are sadly dominated by cheaters and everyone i meet classifiy those games as brainfodder played by 12 year olds that only play em since WoW servers is down. Paradox games on the other hand have established themselves on the good side of mainstream were in people that are interested in history and enjoy thinking are proud to own their games. If i ask a mainstream CS kid what his favourite thing with HoI 2 is he will look at me like im from Mars.
    oops feel like we're going offtopic here
    Do you know what =/= means? I said that mainstream doesn't guarantee good game.

Do you know what =/= means? I said that mainstream doesn't guarantee good game.
    well if you had written +/- i would have understood.

well if you had written +/- i would have understood.
    That means completely different thing.

Lt.-Colonel of Guerillas Singleton Mosby's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Semper FiShip Simulator ExtremesSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Mosby's Confederacy, Guerilla territory, VA. CSA
    Good list of games. I just finished Call of Juarez: bound in blood, yesterday. Was an awesome experience altoug a tat short.

Looking forward to tropico 3 as well.

O wait, and of course HOI3!!!!

'Any system which aims at taking freedom by open force to other peoples will only make that freedom hated and prevent its triumph. '
    - Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord

Quote Originally Posted by Singleton Mosby View Post
    Looking forward to tropico 3 as well.
    Wait what? There is Tropico 3 in making?

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Wait what? There is Tropico 3 in making?
    They made a tropico 2?!?
    yay, screwed over again!

yes and yes tho i think the tropico 3 is a different publisher

Elite 4 is rumoured to be in the works to

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast