• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 16: Castillian-Mameluk War

The Mameluk-Castillian war could be considered ridiculous in two ways:

1.) Both empires were huge, but the war was fought slowly in a narrow strip of North Africa (near the Tunisian/Algerian border, and in Tunisia and Tripoli)
2.) Both empires had a sizable navy, but since they were separated by the Suez Peninsula, they barely fought.

February 3, 1465: Tuat (North Africa) becomes self sustaining. Since it was reasonably close to the front, a fort was quickly built.

March 1: Stability increase to 2.

March 30: Mali cedes Timbuktu, Azawadd, and Kumasi, and gives up 275 ducats. Mali is now an OPM, rich in Vitamin D.
C16_154_MalibecomesanOPM.png

May 17: 600 people flee Toubkhal to become colonists in Azawadd. 400 get lost in transit. The Castillian Colonial Office considers making more specific maps for people deciding to flee to the interior of Africa in search of a better life. Tourist slogan: "Now entering Deepest Darkest Africa. What the #@$% are you thinking?"
C16_155_FleetoAzawadd.png

September 24: Mameluks capture Malta. Unfortunately for them, their ride home got sunk. Their occupation won't last long.

December 30: Sokoto gives up 1400 ducats for peace.

February 21: Hussite Heretics take control of Azawadd. Heretics can be the most annoying rebels...

May 1: Naval 8. The plan is to race to Naval 10 to get Barques for patrolling, so I can concentrate my carracks into a naval hammer.

May 13: Yemen offers white peace. We accept, since they're too far to bother with right now.

September 5: After a long chase through the desert, a Mameluk army is crushed in Tuat.
C16_156_BattleofTuat.png

April 29, 1467: Another Mameluk army is crushed in Cyrenaica. Unfortunately, there are more armies where that came from...
C16_157_BattleofCyrenaica.png

May 1: Tripoli (the Mameluk's vassal) loses its navy after Tripoli falls. Tripoli and Tunisia are in Castillian hands.

May 20: Massina converts.

September 9: A sign of how the war will go: The Castillians defeat the Mameluks in Libya, but both sides take a frightful number of casualties.
C16_158_BattleofLibya.png

September 27: Timbuktu converts.

October 1: Vlaandern and Brabant become cores.

November 1: Kumasi (West Africa) converts.

April 1, 1468: The Aztecs open a center of Trade in Mixtec.

August 9: Another slugfest in Tripolitania draws to a close, with over 17000 dead on both sides. Castille loses this one, despite killing almost 10000 Mameluks.
C16_159_BattleofTripolitania.png

September 14: A late detachment of Castillian infantry makes it to Tripolitania in time to defeat the demoralized Mameluk army, covering the retreat of the similarly demoralized Castillian cavalry. Both sides withdraw to lick their wounds.

October 9: A quick look at the war shows that the Mameluks are running on empty, but are unwilling to concede anything.
C16_160_WarSummaryOct1468.png

January 4: Colonial Ventures again - we take the naval investment.

March 18: Castille defeats the Mameluks at Sirt, but the Mameluk's 4 shock general arrived late and caused quite a few casualties.
C16_161_BattleofSirt.png

May 1: Our 5 star reputation adviser dies, so we replace him with a 3 star missionary.

December 1: The 2nd Battle of Sirt ends with another Castillian victory. The Mameluks aren't running short of men yet, and the Castillians are having trouble keeping their armies reinforced.
C16_162_2ndBattleofSirt.png

May 23, 1470: Native exploitation in Ceara: we choose to aid the natives.

October 1: A 6 star ambassador pops, giving us +3 diplomatic skill. Sweet!

January 1, 1474: Sokoto declares war, because the last one was just so successful...

April 17: The Mameluks offer white peace. After much deliberation, it's accepted because:
1.) The currently occupied provinces aren't that great, and they're still not giving them up.
2.) The Mameluks are fighting well enough that they can't be overrun, and reinforcement is hard out in the desert.
3.) The longer the war drags on, the more likely someone powerful might stab me in the back. The currently likely rewards simply don't counter the risks, especially since time is on my side.
C16_163_WPwithMameluks.png

Chapter 17: Viva Espana!

May 26, 1471: France declares war on England. Again.

July 6: Mali gets annexed. They joined the war when Sokoto declared war in January. You see how well they did.

August 23: Antigua colonized, starting the rush in the Antilles.

September 1: Boundary dispute gives us a core on Liguria. Genoa is an OPM now...wonder what will happen now?

February 1, 1472: Stability increases to 3.

February 7: St. Thomas colonized.

March 1: Treviso and Verona core.

April 1: Naval 9! We can blockade now. Thankfully, we prepared, and had patrols set before this point.

June 2: Sokoto cedes Katsina, Zazzau, Kano, Tadimkket, Dendi, and Zamfara (West Central Africa) and give sup 125 ducats. They're now an OPM.
C17_164_SokotobecomesOPM.png

June 3: Annexation requests: Milan and Sicily accept annexation, while Savoy does not. 2 more provinces, at the cost of 1 centralization.
C17_165_Diploannexation.png

June 4: We declare war on Genoa (now that we've done all we need in peace :D). Urbino, Mantua, and the Palatinate join in. Mantua is leading. The Palatinate is the only real worry here - as HRE, they can field a decent army. Austria, Crete and Savoy come in on my side. Crete, for an OPM, is pretty handy.

July 6: Genoa's army dies in Nice.
C17_166_BattleofNice.png

September 19: Mantua's army dies in Mantua. Urddu should have come saved them.
C17_167_BattleofMantua.png

November 5: Animist Zealots take Kano (WC Africa), converting them from Islam to be Animists. I decide to let them convert a few for me...

November 22: Katsina is force-converted to Animist.

December 1: Nice cores.

December 16: Guadaloupe is colonized.

December 21: Dendi is force-converted to Animist.

January 18, 1473: Genoa falls to siege and is annexed. The CoT is destroyed! The trade moves to Paris, Venice, and Rome.
C17_168_Genoaannexed.png

February 1: CoT opens Benin. No one around can send merchants, so it means another empty African CoT. Also, we lose our core on Antwerpen. C'est la vie.

February 8: Urbino demands that we end the vassalization of Savoy and pay 175 ducats. They're smoking something good over there...since Crete is busy sieging.

February 24: 3000 Castillian infantry are defeated by 9500 rebels in Wasuju.

March 16: Mantua falls, but Austria holds Brescia. So we wait...

April 1: Trade 8.

April 28: A Palatinate army is wiped out in Worms.
C17_169_BattleofWorms.png

May 30: Newly raised armies from the Palatinate are crushed in Trier.

June 12: Austria couldn't get a high enough war score to take Brescia, so they take 455 ducats from Mantua instead. The Palatinate is lucky - it gets an Austrian army out of their way. In Urbino, Crete controls the province, but can't annex as they're both minor partners in the war. Instead of just giving up, Crete is sitting there. I want Urbino!

July 1: A new CoT opens in Skane.

November 1: Barcelona cores. Spain is coming soon!

March 1, 1474: Parma cores.

March 6: Wasuju (WC Africa) converts.

March 17: The Palatinate cedes Worms and gives up 1325 ducats.
C17_170_PalatinatecedesWorms.png

April 14: Gold rush! 400 ducats is nice. I'm always confused by this event, since it never tells you where the gold rush is.

May 9: Urbino accepts vassalization and pays 175 ducats, since Crete won't leave so I can annex them.

May 23: Dendi (WC Africa) converts. Mantua becomes a vassal and cedes Brescia. This leaves Ferrara, Rome (OPM), Venice (OPM), Aquileia (OPM), Urbino (vassal), Mantua (vassal), and Savoy (vassal) in Italy.
C17_172_Mantuavassalized.png

May 25: Castille forms the Spanish Nation. Immediately, we DoW Maya so we can annex them (they're out of cash).
C17_173_SpanishNation.png

June 10: Martinique colonized.

July 1: Government 10. We convert to Noble Republic, and Ramon de Aguirre (Bureaucratic candidate) becomes our new ruler. Nice stats...
C17_174_RamondeAguirre.png

October 1: Beira, Alentejo, Porto, and Braganca core.
C17_171_Portuguesecores.png

October 26: Our longest-lasting general, Bertran de Toledo, dies on the first day of battle with Maya. A state funeral is held.

November 28: St. Lucia colonized.

December 27: A new explorer is hired. Maybe we won't lose this one so easily...

December 31: 600 people leave Porto for St. Thomas. 200 arrive. Yet again, 2/3rds of the fleeing colonists get lost.

Chapter 18: Expanding and colonizing...

This update is rather boring - I'm trying to get to monopolies, and then I'll go after France.

April 1, 1475: Stability increases to 0.

April 23: Tadimekket (WC Africa) converts.

July 24: 600 people flee Futa Jallon (W Africa) to escape the horrors of the war with Maya (?). They go to Micmac. Hope they brought parkas...

July 30: Zamfara (WC Africa) converts.

October 2: Micmac becomes self-sustaining.

December 1: Stability increases to 1. Abruzzi, Apulia, Calabria, and Malta core.

March 19, 1476: Maya is annexed. Forts will slowly be built before we even think about conversion.
C18_175_Mayaannexed.png

May 1: Sierra Leone becomes self sustaining.

May 20: England gives up 175 ducats for peace with France. That'll last a long time...

July 18: Boundary dispute gives a core on Switzerland.

September 1: Stability increases to 2.

April 5, 1477: Military divided - we go defensive and lose 1 stability.

May 1: Kano (Central Africa) converts.

July 7, 1477: We notice that Portugal is allied to Holland - plans are made...we also cancel the mission for the Spanish Main. Who cares! Now we need to destroy Turkish naval domination by building galleys...yeah right.
C18_176_DestroyTurkishNavy.png

August 1: Gobir's CoT stagnates. The Duke of Wellington cries.
C18_177_Gobirstagnates.png

October 1: Madeira cores.

October 27: DoW Benin. OE has warned us, but doesn't care.
C18_178_DoWBenin.png

December 1: Tangiers, Toubkhal, Safi, Ifni, Sus, and Ceuta core.

January 1, 1478: We cancel the trade agreement with Denmark. Since our trade stinks now (we only trade at home), there's no need. Apparently, it's impossible, but happens anyway. If only more impossible things worked like that...
C18_179_CancelTradeAgreement.png

March 8: Campeche converts.

August 4: Benin annexed, and their CoT is destroyed. 3 CoT's down...god knows how many to go.
C18_180_Beninannexed.png

C18_181_BeninCoTdestroyed.png

December 5: Crete DoWs Morea. We bail on the alliance - losing 1 stab to fight Morea is pointless.

January 1, 1479: Abnaki becomes self sustaining.

March 1: Naval 10! We switch to Trade (for monopolies), and now have Barques for patrolling. A crash barque-building program ensues.

April 1: Itamaraca becomes self sustaining.

June 2: Zapotec converts.

October 1: Atikamekw becomes self sustaining.

November 1: Andalucia is now worth over 1000 ducats in trade. The +20 tax is nice.
C18_182_Andaluciareaches1000ducats.png

March 3, 1480: DoW on Zapotec.
C18_183_DoWZapotec.png

April 11: Zapotec is annexed, and their CoT is destroyed. Zazzau converts.
C18_184_Mixtecdestroyed.png

May 1: Azores converts. Kongo builds a CoT in Ndongo. Yet again, a CoT built by someone that can't build merchants.

June 1: Fez has converted from Catholic to Muslim. However, the layered guarantees are more than I want to deal with, so they'll wait.

August 3: Colonial ventures event fires again. Again we take naval investment.

September 1: Taqamkuk cores. Ceara and Ungava become self sustaining. Also, the clergy condemn a philosopher as a heretic, and since we're firmly narrowminded, we agree. 1 stab lost.

September 29: Belize converts.

November 1: Trade 9.

November 30: Guatemala converts.

December 1: Beothuk cores.

How big is the money amount in your main CoT? :p

As of where I'm at now in the game (1497), it's 1350 ducats, and I'm getting 130 of that. Once I get monopolies and can throw everyone out, I could easily make 700 of that (and rising as my TE goes up).

Chapter 19: France awakens

January 1, 1481: Holland DoWs Flanders, and both sides lose all their allies. We excommunicate Flanders with the hope of stealing it, but Holland is too fast.

February 12: Pipil (S. Mexico) converts.

April 4: DoW Kongo. Again, the OE does nothing. This invasion may or may not include giant sentient apes and laser beams.
C19_185_DoWKongo.png

May 27: France DoWs England. It's not the Hundred Years War, it's the Forever War!

June 1: Stability increases to 1. I try to keep stab at least at 1 - which can be challenging once you get big.

July 15: Kongo is annexed. I never even beat their army - just ran past. Ndongo's CoT is destroyed.
C19_186_NdongoCoTdestroyed.png

August 1: CoT opened in Damagaram by Kanem Bornu. Again, no merchants.

September 1: St. Thomas is self sufficient.

November 1: Rio de Oro (just south of Morocco) cores.

December 11: Katsina (WC Africa) converts.

June 1, 1482: Cayor, Wolof, Gabu, and Futa Jallon (all in W Africa) core.

June 20: A 5 shock rebel general kicks my butt in Bonny. If only you could bribe generals...;)

July 4: Election! We pick the Bureaucratic candidate: Miguel Abarca de Bolea. Admin 9, Military 9, Diplomacy 3...2 9s! Wheeeeee!!! I run to make him a general...2 shock. Grr.
C19_187_MiguelAbarcadeBolea.png

C19_188_MigueltheGeneral.png

August 4: Honduras converts.

September 11: Uh-oh: Lorraine ended up at war with France, and now they're a vassal - this pokes a hole in the curtain I was slowly putting around France.
C19_189_FrancevassalizesLorraine.png

October 1: Huastec converts.

October 16: Tohancapan converts.

May 1, 1483: St. Martin becomes self sufficient. Trade 10 - now TE goes up by 2%/level. One problem with becoming Spain: my colonies are getting nationalism. The peasants are a pain.

September 1: Ooops. We take a loan for 1269 due to another budgetary oversight. Miguel blames Congress, Congress blames Miguel.

October 7: England cedes Saintonge, Gascogne, and Calais to France, and gives up 37 ducats. France now has Military Drill as well. so England's going to start having trouble.
C19_190_Francetakes3fromEngland.png

March 30, 1484: Alentejo becomes Castillian.

April 4: Austria annexes Baden.

May 1: Antigua becomes self sufficient.

January 1, 1485: Portugal has a mission to save the Portuguese people in Beira. Please...come try!

January 3, 1486: Savoy and Mantua agree to be diploannexed. Urbino refuses.
C19_191_Diploannexing2.png

March 4, 1486: DoW Inca. They're rich. We will be soon.
C19_192_DoWInca.png

March 6: Inca embargoes us. Hah.

May 1: Flemish is no longer accepted.

October 1: Land 7. As you can see, our armies lag behind.

October 20: Tlaxcala (Mexico) converts.

December 28: Inca gives up 2500 ducats for Spain to use in the post-Christmas sales.
C19_193_Incagives2500.png

February 13, 1487: France DoWs Hainaut. Having France suddenly decide to be aggressive is not a good thing. Brabant, the Palatinate, and England run to help Hainaut.
C19_194_FranceDoWsHainaut.png

August 1: Cape Verde cores.

November 1: Trade 11.

December 12: Hainaut gets annexed. We snag their Level 1 Treasurer, which enables the Liquor Act (+3% tax, +4% stab cost). We also cancel the annoying mission to destroy the Turkish Naval Dominance, and get...Colonize the South Continent. Oh well, we can try again.

December 20: Mexico converts.

aldriq: Yeah, now that France has Drill, it's time to worry. My economy can't currently support a big war.

Enewald: They're smart. And Yes!

elbasto: Thank you! Republics get better leaders, and the tolerance will help while I smack down heathens. It also sets the stage for the really good republics available later.

Chapter 20: Spain in 1490

April 1, 1488: Rio Grande becomes self sustaining.

April 6: England adopts QFTNW. Too late, suckers!
C20_195_EnglandQFTNW.png

May 1: Dominica becomes self sustaining.

June 1: We trade out the 1 pt Treasurer and get a 6 pt Theologian. Not that we need him, but he's better than the alternatives.
C20_196_ManuelLopedeHaro.png

June 27: Yucatan converted.

September 1: The 1269 ducat loan expires, and we pay it off with proceeds from the Bank of Inca. Trarza (W. Africa) cores.
C20_197_Payoffloan3.png

September 28: Colonial Expansion event. +200 population in Nunavik, +1 colonists, -10% colonist cost and +2% chance for 30 ducats. No brainer.
C20_198_ColonialExpansion.png

October 1: Martinique becomes self sustaining.

February 1, 1489: Kespek becomes self sustaining.

February 15: A noble gets himself killed, so we move towards Plutocracy. I didn't want to eat a stab loss.

March 1: St. Lucia becomes self sustaining. I've been balancing using colonists to expand, then to push level 7-8 colonies to 9 so they hurry up. It's a middle of the road strategy.

May 1: St. Kitts becomes self-sustaining.

July 1: Guadaloupe becomes self-sustaining.

July 10: There should be stable government - -1721 ducats in Government tech. Bastards.
C20_199_StableGovernment.png

October 1: Barbados and Stadicona become self-sustaining.

January 1, 1490: Proof that the AI has more money than sense: Swahili's CoT in Sofala stagnates...so they build another one immediately in Quelimane (which, IIRC, isn't far away). If at first you don't succeed...spend 500 ducats and try again.
C20_200_SwahiliCoTs.png

30 years has passed: let's look at Spain in 1490. The map:
C20_201_Spain1490.png

Lots of headway on conversions:
C20_202_NWAfricareligion.png

C20_203_WAfricareligion.png

Only 1 province left in America to convert:
C20_204_Americareligion.png

Gotta love the tax and manpower in Andalucia:
C20_205_Andalucia1490.png

Andalucia's CoT: 1237.44 in trade, and 162 provinces trading there.
C20_206_AndaluciaCoT1490.png

Marketplaces and monopolies will make me stupidly rich. Inflation is something of a problem, at 7% and rising slowly as I'm chronically over budget, given my rebel issues.

Chapter 21: Housekeeping

Another not-so-interesting update. Housekeeping is more fun to play than describe. :)

February 1: Bambuk and Bure (W. Africa) core.

March 13: Calabar converts within a month of the missionary arriving. I'd love to be able to rehire *that* missionary...

July 2: Election! We keep Miguel. Admin 9 is not to be tossed away lightly.
C21_207_Election-KeepMiguel.png

August 2: Unamakik cores. Having cores in America makes colonization really simple.

February 8: Another move to Naval causes our Arsenals to be deserted. -3487 from land tech. Ow.

August 1: Mellila and Epekwitk core.

August 8: Gibraltar assimilates to Castillian.

December 10: Benin cores.

April 1, 1492: Trade 12.

April 29: Valencia becomes Castillian.

May 3: DoW Inca again to take their money.
C21_208_DoWInca2.png

June 1: Stability increases to 2.

July 12: We get a great man event out of our 6 star ambassador. Of course we get it *after* getting Stab 2, and having no stabhits needed for a while.

August 8: Kongo converts.

August 22: Traitor in the Parliament event. We choose the option to hate Alsace more.

September 1: Ifni assimilates to Castillian. The colonies make assimilating Africa a bit easier (except the NE part).

September 9: Native Exploitation event in Tucujulandia. We aid the natives - with our current empire, +5% overseas income is worth it.

November 6: Oyo (Benin) converts.

November 9: Inca gives up 2500 ducats. Ka-ching!
C21_209_Incagives25002.png

February 1, 1493: Pennacook becomes self-sustaining.

March 1: Tlemcen, Oran, Constantine, Fez, Figuig, Aures, and Biskra core.
C21_210_Algeriancores.png

March 28: A quick look at the Mameluks show that they've lost Diamentia to OE and Gaza and Badiyat Ash Sham to Persia. Once the truce with their allies wears off, it'll be time to kick some Mameluk butt.
C21_211_WeakenedMameluks.png

Housekeeping for the Mameluk war: build 16 cogs and 16K infantry (for assaults). The idea is to quickly move the front to Alexandria. Once I control Alexandria, I can use it as a forward base (since the supply limit is higher than anywhere else in the area).

April 20: Bure assimilates to Castillian.

June 9: England cedes Vendee to France, releases Tyrone, and pays 75 ducats. Another sign that France is getting worrisome. They'll have to wait though - there are baby seals to club! Tip: If you have war declarations, alliance honoring/dishonoring, and peace deals set to pop up, it's a good way to gauge weakness of your neighbors, or find out when someone's available to become an ally.
C21_212_EnglandcedesVendee.png

July 2: Since the warning by OE is gone, we DoW Fez to take Atlas (a core) and reduce Algiers to an OPM. Oman, Najd, and Candar will be bystanders. The hardest part in this war will be the armies walking across the desert, because I don't want to be bothered bringing my cogs from the Americas, and the new ones aren't built yet.
C21_213_DoWFez.png

September 1: Massachusetts becomes self-sustaining.

September 17: A tax revolt takes control of St. Kitts. The stupid nationalism from the tag change is a pain in the butt. I'm sure my flying cavalry army that has to police the entire Americas is getting tired of this crap.

September 30: Mayombe (Kongo) converts.

December 1: Chiaha and Cheraw (from Shawnee) core.

January 31, 1494: Military spending event. We cut back on military expenses: the TE/PE bonuses are nice, and I could care less about the negatives.
C21_214_MilitarySpending.png

March 1: Grain Coast (W Africa) becomes self-sufficient.

May 24: Fez annexed.
C21_215_FezAnnexed.png

July 1: Narranganset becomes self-sufficient.

August 9: Algiers gives up Kabylia and Gafsa, and lots of cores. The map of N. Africa is getting much more consistent. Soon, mapmakers can make maps by just handing a 4 year old a gold crayon. :rofl:
C21_216_AlgiersbecomesanOPM.png

September 1: Innu cores.

September 24: Ife (W. Africa) converts.

September 29: Dramatic Currency Revaluation. My inflation bites me in the butt. We choose -3 inflation, -2 stability, and -15 prestige over taking even more inflation. Since we're at 3 stab, this isn't so bad. Since my inflation was around 7-8 at this point, this event is rather silly. It's not like...say...Zimbabwe with million % inflation or anything.
C21_217_DramaticCurrencyRevaluation.png

October 1: Bermuda becomes self-sufficient and is never seen again. Labrador cores.

Last edited: