• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rastar said:
Very nice work in the Italian war!
Sad about the luck on random event stab hits.

Any clue how Mantua beat Austria???

Thank you! Milan really overextended itself. I did less than half the work. :)

I have no idea how Mantua beat Austria. The only thing I can think of was if Mantua was defending, then Bohemia would have defended Mantua.

elbasto said:
Great AAR!
Thank you!

Enewald said:
Omg, Mantua might unify Italy? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Over my dead body. :D

Chapter 7: Savoyard Suicide -or- the Castillian Riviera

At the end of the last chapter, Enrique had ditched two of his theologians. With only 1 theologian left, and the possibility that he may not be able to get one when he needs it, he passed the Advancement of True Religion Act on December 1, 1419 (+1 RR, +4% missionary cost, +8% missionary chance).

March 1, 1420: Production 4.

Dec 6: Venice declares war on the Byzantine Empire. Enrique had warned Venice not to go to war, but the assumption was that Venice would fight in Italy. Having Venice send their armies East instead of West or South would make the war even easier...
C7_052_VeniceDoWsBYZ.png

March 12, 1421: The Byzantines fold quickly, ceding Achaea and giving up 23 ducats.

May 18: The Venetian Army gets wiped out at Verona. 10K infantry was sitting in Achaea, unable to help against the Castillian invasion.
C7_053_BattleofVerona.png

September: The Venetian navy leaves port for no apparent reason, allowing the Castillian armies to cross into Venice proper and lay siege.

Oct 1: Stability increases to 2.

Jan 1, 1422: Naval Tech increases to 4.

February 24th: Venezia falls, and Enrique demands that Venice cede Verona and Treviso. Venice accepts, despite having a strong army sitting in Greece.
C7_054_Venicecedes2.png

March: Enrique gets word that Portugal is yet again having major rebel trouble, as a pretender is wreaking havoc.
C7_055_MorePortugueserebels.png

April 3: Enrique recruits a general...who is almost exactly as good as he is.
C7_062_NewGeneral.png

April 6: Savoy declares war on Sardinia, ignoring a warning from Castille. Unfortunately, France also warned Savoy...
C7_056_SavoyDoWsSardinia.png

Sept 23: Venice expels many of the Castillian merchants there, over claims that sweatshops in the Baleares were turning out counterfeit Prada. Enrique files a vigorous protest.
C7_057_Veniceexpelsmerchants.png

As you can see below, the war against Savoy had 3 parts:
1.) The French invaded with every unit that was anywhere vaguely near Savoy, laying siege to Savoie.
2.) Milan laid siege to Piedmont.
3.) Castillian cavalry laid siege to Nice, and a Genoese army showed up to be conveniently flung at the walls in a useless assault.
Savoy ceded Savoie to France on Nov 9, and on the 11th, Savoy ceded Nice to Castille and became a vassal.
C7_058_SavoycedesSavoie.png

C7_059_Savoyvassaled.png

Dec 25: Bitter that Enrique got a Wii for Christmas, France refuses to let Castillians shop in Paris.
C7_060_Franceembargos1.png

Jan 2, 1423: Enrique provides convincing proof that Burgudy ceded Antwerpen to Castille in the last war, in addition to Brabant, Vlaandern, and Artois. Burgundy claims it's a lie.
C7_061_Boundarydispute-Antwerpen.png

Jan 21, 1423: A slider move to Narrowminded brings another 1 star Theologian.

Chapter 8: No one takes the kint...

After the recent spate of wars, it should be obvious to European nations that ignoring a warning from Castille is stupid.

Right?

Or...well...maybe not, as Burgundy declares war on Liege on April 16th, 1423 (to fulfill their mission), bringing Milan in as an Ally. Paaaaaaaarty! Unfortunately, the French crash the party, coming to Liege's aid. Castille gets to lead the war though.
C8_063_BurgundyDoWsLiege.png

April 24: The Portuguese King's chief of staff sends Enrique a dead fish as an insult. Enrique offers an all-expenses paid vacation to Pamplona...
C8_064_PortugueseInsult.png

Castillian armies head over to Milan, while French armies kick the door down on Burgundy.

May 26: Portugal declares war! Castillian advisors trade high fives, and draw shares to decide who gets what estates in Portugal.
C8_065_Portugaldeclareswar.png

May 29: Aragon drinks the kool-aid and joins Portugal in their suicidal charge against Castille. Aragon has 1000 infantry and 1 province..
C8_066_Aragonjoinswar.png

July 1: Aragon's single regiment is unceremoniously booted out of Barcelona. They're too small to siege anything, so no point in wasting time to kill them.
C8_067_2ndBattleofBarcelona.png

August 26: 12 Castillian cavalry regiments chase down and destroy Portugal's army outside Braganca and spread out to lay siege.
C8_068_BattleofBraganca.png

August 30: Morocco declares war on Tunisia, triggering the warnings that Enrique had sprinkled around North Aftrica. Algiers also joins the party against Morocco.
C8_069_MoroccoDoWsTunisia.png

Now Castille is at war with 5 nations: Burgundy (getting gangbanged by Lorraine and France), Milan (army destroyed, and both provinces udner Castillian siege), Aragon (under siege and armyless), Portugal (under siege and armyless), and Morocco (about to get pummelled by Algiers - who has already taken 3 Moroccan provinces. The problem here is that we're too busy in local wars to try and snatch anything from Burgundy. This will be a problem.

October 2: Barcelona falls, allowing Aragon to be annexed. Lombardia also falls to a Castillian siege.
C8_070_AnnexedAragon.png

Dec 30: Lorraine forces Burgundy to the peace table, and takes Franche-Comte and 46 ducats.
C8_071_LorrainetakesFranche-Comte.png

Feb 11, 1424: Milan cedes Parma, 25 ducats, and becomes a vassal. Now Enrique can peace out with Burgundy before France gets anything. On the 12th, Burgundy renounces claims on Brabant and Vlaandern, and gives up 25 cents. France goes home empty-handed.
C8_072_Milanvassalized.png

That leaves 2 wars: Portugal (falling fast), and Morocco...

Last edited:
Why did you take Advancement of True Religion? Missionaries are dirt cheap, so the 4% discount is unimportant. 8% increased success rate is nice, I guess, but not really that big a deal since missionaries always succeed eventually if you just wait a decade or so. So if that takes a typical missionary chance from roughly 15% or so up to 23%, your average wait time for a conversion goes from about 6 years to about 4 years.

Is it worth +1 revolt risk everywhere for the rest of the game so your conversions average two years faster? I've never seen the appeal of that decision - am I missing something?

Particularly in a near-WC game where you'll be quashing zillions of revolts anyway, keeping revolt risk low is awfully appealing. I'd take higher revolt risk to get MORE missionaries per year, but not for the increased success rate.

Huzaah for Castille. Soon all the trade will be yors.

Why did you take Advancement of True Religion? Missionaries are dirt cheap, so the 4% discount is unimportant. 8% increased success rate is nice

The increased success rate lets me plant missionaries and succeed faster, which reduces revolt risk in newly conquered provinces faster, so I can redeploy my armies elsewhere. It's a tradeoff. Later, I'll get some methods to reduce RR (Courthouse, Provincial Court System, etc).

Chapter 9: More baby seals

With Castille at war with Portugal and Morocco, it was clear that the nation didn't need any more wars...

...so of course, Enrique stepped in to defend Sicily when Naples declared war on May 20th, 1424. The Castillian cavalry is sailed over to invade Naples, which means that nothing has been done about Morocco...yet.
C9_073_NaplesDoWsSicily.png

Sept 3: The last Portuguese province falls, and Portugal is forced to cede Porto, Alentejo, Braganca, and Beira, becoming a disconnected TPM.
C9_074_PortugalbecomesaTPM.png

April 26, 1425: Naples cedes Messina to Sicily and pays 47 ducats.

Nov 1: After an unexciting war (land, chase down army, smack, smack, crush, siege), Naples cedes Abruzzi, Apulia, Calabria, and Malta and becomes an OPM. Castillian armies now head to sunny Morocco.
C9_075_Naplescedes4.png

August 1, 1426: Trade 7! It's time to switch to Quest for the New World, triggering a 3 point stabhit. Good thing we had stab 3.
C9_076_QFTNW.png

August 2: Our first explorer, Alonso de Bazan, is given a fleet of 2 Carracks, to go find glory for Castille. In the screenshot, you'll see lots of sieges. Algiers had already destroyed Morocco's army!
C9_077_NewExplorer.png

September: Alonso discovers...the Moroccan navy. The rest of the Castillian Navy shows up to save him from an embarrassing end.

Nov 1: Government 6.

Dec 21: A boundary dispute gives us a core on Bearn. We'll see how useful this is...
C9_078_BoundaryDispute-Bearn.png

Nov 12, 1427: Morocco cedes Tangiers, Toubkhal, Safi, Ifni, Sus, and Ceuta, becoming an OPM. Another gold province! As you can see, Madeira has been discovered and colonized...and Castille is finally at peace!
C9_079_MoroccobecomesOPM.png

July 1, 1428: A new CoT opens in Holland.

Jan 11, 1429: Safi's heretics see the light.

April 26: Agricultural revolution in Leon. Castillian peasants finally figure out to use the pointy end of the shovel on the ground.
C9_080_AgriculturalRevolution-Leon.png

July 22: The Flemish start thinking of revolt. Enrique carefully weighs the options of 28 regiments of rebels, or slightly lower tax for a while...hard choice...lower taxes it is.
C9_081_RevoltinVlaandern.png

Nov 1: Naval 5.

This brings us to a convenient place to look at where we are...January 1, 1430.
Some stats:
* Andalucia has 45 (25% increase) provinces trading there, for a value of 452.28 (58.6% increase).
* Castille's monthly income is now 83.6 (226% increase). Our badboy is starting to be felt, as we now have 19 merchants (2 less than in 1405)
* Castille now has 52 provinces (148% increase).
* Castille now has 7 Universities and 1 Textile Manufactory
* 4 provinces in Castillian Morocco are still Muslim. (Ceuta and Safi have converted)
C9_082_Castille1430.png

C9_083_CastillianFlanders.png

Last edited:
Wasn't that 30 regiments that would revolt?

The Spanish Inquisition has sadly wiped out all the Castillian mathematicians. :rofl:

I apologize for the lack of updates, but Monday was insane, and yesterday I got sick. Hopefully I'll feel up to playing by tomorrow, and updating either tomorrow or Friday...

Enewald: God only counted to 7 days, so 7's good enough for me!

Wow, it doesn't look like you have many competitors left!

Great progress so far, what are your plans for the new world? Total conquest/colonisation?

Looking forward to that update!

Season 2: Castille 1437

January 1, 1437:
Enrique woke up, opened his eyes, and startled himself upright at the sight of the incredibly bright light shining in his face. His head started to pound like a drum, his mouth tasted like a toad crawled in and died, and his entire body felt like he'd spent the last month in the rack.

That was a really good bottle of wine.

He reached over to look for another bottle...empty. A very fuzzy thought formed that empty bottles had been a particular problem lately. As he staggered to his feet, he spied a platter of food on the table from last night.

Or maybe last month, from the taste, as he spat out the rancid muck.

Hours later, he was forced to admit that every bottle of wine in the room was empty. He had lost count of how many at...um...ocho....nueve? Yeah, he lost count at nueve. A few nueves ago.

He staggered to the door and flung it open. "Wine! Fetch me more wine!"

A servant covered his nose from the stench reeking out of the room and hurried over. "Your majesty, I'm afraid there is no more wine."

"Nonsense! Andalucia is the greatest trading city of all the world, and has the finest wines. Bring me some!", Enrique said. Something less eloquent and understandable was what the servant heard, however, and a few tries were required to get the idea across.

"I'm sorry sire, but there is no wine to be had in the castle. It would take days to get more wine. Shall I have a bath drawn so that you can refresh yourself?"

"Wine! Bring me wine!"

The servant sighed deeply. "Si, senor. I will bring you wine. May the Blessed Mother have mercy on your soul."

The servant ran off to find the chief minister, and brought him to see Enrique. The minister ordered that the king be brought coffee, newly brought from the new Castillian colonies in the New World, and that he be told to sample this wonderous drink while his minister was found.

An hour later, Enrique felt more human than he had in hours, and decided to have that warm bath. He sent word to his minister to meet in two hours.

Refreshed with more of this wondrous coffee, a luxuriously warm bath, a fresh shave, and clean clothes, Enrique strode out to meet his ministers.

Felipe Cienfuegos, the Royal Master of the Mint couldn't contain himself. "Your Majesty! It was a true blessing to see you so well and healthy again! We never thought to see it, since you locked yourself in that room seven years ago..."

Enrique raised an eyebrow in response. "Nonsense! I merely took a short vacation. I couldn't have been in there more than a couple of weeks."

The ministers looked at each other. None seemed willing to be the one to tell the King the truth.

Finally, Sten Sture Andresson, the Swedish explorer, spoke. "Sire, you've been in that room seven years today, since you barricaded yourself in there and demanded that the servants never open the door again, and just slip wine and food through the bottom until the cellar ran dry..."

Enrique looked aghast, "That couldn't possibly have taken seven years...I know I'm a connoisseur..."

Felipe explained, "Of course not, sir...until your wife decided to have every bottle in the Andalusian markets sent to the castle."

Enrique sputtered in rage, "That bitch! That French whore! I'll have her hung from the walls!"

Sten replied, soberly, "She passed away last week, and we were finally able to get rid of her servants so we could get you out of that room."

"What did I miss?"

Our explorers have found many wondrous things, and we expanded our holdings significantly, taking control of parts of Western Africa from infidels and pagans....
I1_085_SpanishWestAfrica.png

...starting colonies in a new land we are calling El Nuevo Mundo...
I1_086_NewWorldColonies.png

...and we have taken a great deal of land from some backward pagans that we have found there, and we are establishing a system of forts so we can begin to deliver God's word to the heathens.
I1_087_SpanishConquests.png

Our possessions in the Netherlands have been fraught with revolts, which we are slowly bringing under control.
I1_084_Netherlandsrebels.png

Andalucia has grown greatly, with our new provinces all trading there. There are now 76 provinces trading there, and 623.99 ducats of trade pass through there yearly. We now receive 22 ducats a year in tax from Andalucia alone.
I1_088_Andalucia_Cot_1427.png
I1_090_Andalucia1427.png

Our treasury is doing well, as well, sire, we now bring in 81.7 ducats per month, which we are minting to pay for the armies we need to deal with rebellions among the ungrateful infidels and pagans, or investing in stability, depending on our needs.
I1_089_Income1437.png

"Excellent"

Note: I lost all the screenshots for this session, and the save died. This was the last save that worked. :rofl: