• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

I'm sure many players could do this well now they know it's possible. I find the most important thing is to play slowly, very slow speed, lots of pausing and lots of thinking time. My advice to anyone struggling with the game is pause more and play slower.

Indeed, the space bar is not only the biggest key in the keyboard, it's the most helpful in this game. It's not just a matter of skill, as unddu says it is also a matter of patience...

Talking of which, that Aragonese stack in Lima is probably going to give you a hell of a slow dance until you can neutralise it :)

Hmmmm, that stack is going to be bad. especially if their troops are much better than yours. Still nicely done with Castille.

FEEDBACK

Jaspume - Castile is struggling because I've been keeping them under near constant pressure for a couple of decades. The trick to shattering any AI major is to keep applying pressure; a human player should be able to handle a very long war better.

il_loco - The 'Assimilate Colony' decision is only available to Europeans. I'm talking about colonies - i.e. under 1000 pop - no matter where they are in the world you can send a colonist to an existing owned colony.

Qorten - The Timurids are doing very well! Aragon's forces in Peru are a problem...

aldriq - It's worse than a slow dance - get it wrong and that Aragonese stack might win and start eating my provinces.

Lord Strange - Castile just doesn't know it's dead yet - I'd love to force them into moving capital to Africa.

Enewald - Iroquois don't do cannons. I should but I hate the lack of mobility.

RL is getting a bit more intense at the moment so update pace will slow slightly.

Chapter Thirty Four​

I’ve come up with an approach to try and defeat that Aragonese army in Lima. I can’t stand against it in open combat as it’s both larger and more advanced that the opposing force. I intend to let it move into one of my provinces with my troops scheduled to arrive 5 or 6 days after the Aragonese. The idea is that if they settle to siege I stop the move in and let attrition work its magic but if they assault I’ll hopefully hit a lower morale stack. The forts in this area are all level two so I’m expecting assaults – they’ll succeed.

I expect I’ll lose several provinces here and that I’ll need a big win in Europe to reclaim the lost territory and make gains.

Some unit comparisons or why I get whipped by Aragon

Whitecoat Infantry
Fire 5 / 5 Shock 6 / 8 Morale 8 / 9

Line Infantry
Fire 5 / 5 Shock 4 / 4 Morale 7 / 7

Gustavian Infantry
Fire 5 / 4 Shock 4 / 3 Morale 7 / 5

American Forest Musketeers
Fire 1 / 1 Shock 2 / 2 Morale 3 / 3

The Aragonese stack decides not to assault so my attack is called off. Attrition will do some damage while I hastily build some regiments of modern infantry in nearby Aragonese cores. Local anti-rebel forces move on Lima where two enemy regiments are situated, easy war score. Similarly I intend to take out the one regiment garrisons scattered across Aragon’s Far Eastern possessions.

June 1738 Aragon storms and seizes Huanuco

Battle of Lima

eu3247sd4.jpg

Here my combined field army for Peru and local anti-rebel forces are being smashed about by Aragon. This is day 4 of the battle and already my forces are close to breaking.

Lima is lost

eu3248lx5.jpg

That’s seven days of combat :eek:

In case you wondering it's definitely Aragon and not Aragorn I'm fighting but that King's Shock rating is a real killer.

Further manoeuvring leads to the Aragonese stack lead by their high shock King attacking my troops defending the mountains of Cajamarca. I’ve swapped in my best Shock General (6) and switched out five regiments of American Forest Musketeers for five regiments of Whitecoat Infantry. The Aragonese are due to arrive on the 15th of November, I intend to ‘scorch the earth’ before they arrive, even if defeated I want Aragon to bleed through attrition.

I break off combat in Cajamarca

eu3249he8.jpg

The battle in Cajamarca goes quite well initially but the second round of Shock combat turns up a bad dice roll so I pull out – Aragon’s troops at fairly low morale will take a very big attrition hit here. I will as well but I’ll be ready to come back before the end of December. The Aragonese pull out a day later but with that artillery train it’ll take until January to make it to safety.

19/01/1740 Illinois converts

Battle of Huanuco

eu3250bf5.jpg

This is a pretty good defeat – Aragon is bleeding just as much as Iroquois and there is no way Aragon’s manpower pool can continue to take this level of punishment. A second battle in Huanuco in May would end in bloody defeat but reinforcements from the French cores to the North draw close.

Elsewhere Aragon’s Indonesian colonies have been seized and troops march on Malacca and its COT.

A third battle of Huanuco in June would prove inconclusive – the Aragonese have fully reinforced, but casualties must be draining their manpower.

Late July 1740 – Aragon decides to start liberating Castilian provinces – I need to make peace with Castile before I start losing war score!

The Peace Deal

eu3251hl5.jpg

Post-War Iberia

eu3252ds9.jpg

This demonstrates the relative value that the AI assigns ‘Homeland’ provinces against ‘Distant Overseas’ provinces. This five province deal was actually for a higher war score than either of the last two wars against Castile – which both turned over a third of South America.

August 1740

eu3253oy0.jpg

Yet another strike at Huanuco ends in bloody failure – this doesn’t even scratch them!

27/11/1740 Miami converts

Malta has fallen but it’s not enough to convince Milan to cede those two Caribbean provinces. Sicily is undefended so I’ll land there and probably have to wait another two years for the sieges to complete.

Victory at Lima

eu3254jl3.jpg

At last I’ve actually managed to win a battle with the Aragonese stack. The artillery train will cost them dearly, I’ll always be ahead of them so I’ll reinforce, recover morale and gain the defensive terrain bonus, useful in mountains.

The East Indies – January 1741

eu3255dd3.jpg

I’ve seized five colonies from Aragon, colonists are being sent to all five islands as they become available. I should be able to make all of these provinces good Shamanist Iroquois. There are still uncolonised provinces towards Alaska but they can wait.

Currently I’m at war with Milan and Aragon. The war against Milan isn’t really going anywhere (+5%); perhaps if I can capture Sicily they’ll make an acceptable peace deal. I’ve siege forces in both provinces and some ships blocking the straits from the mainland.

The Aragonese war is a more serious affair. I’ve not been able to make too much headway against Aragon’s homeland armies; currently we have no direct border. In the Far East I’ve destroyed Aragonese strength seizing colonies, defeating scattered infantry regiments on garrison duty and now besieging the Level 3 fortress at the Centre of Trade in Malacca.

The war in Peru remains bloody and inconclusive although I’ve finally won a battle and am chasing a defeated enemy rather than trying to push strong, well led force out of mountain provinces. The cost of this campaign must be running to well over 30000.

Perhaps I should finish off these wars but there are opportunities…

Castile has guaranteed, OPM Fez in Tangiers, Oyo (also guaranteed by France) and Portugal.

Oyo is a no for now – French troops have rights of passage through Aragon I would see a lot of hostiles bearing down on me in Iberia. Fez will still be there in a few years unless Castile decides to annex them so they can wait. Portugal looks promising as a way of drawing Castile straight back into war but their provinces are scattered across the globe. There is a least one and possibly two Portuguese provinces that are currently TI in the Pacific and then there’s this:

Portuguese Jamtland

eu3256bw8.jpg

You’re all wondering how did that happen aren’t you? Jamtland turned Reformed a couple of hundred years ago while Norway was Catholic. Religious rebels seized control of the province; it would eventually defect to Brandenburg the nearest Reformed state. Later Portugal dipolvasselised and then diploannexed Brandenburg.

I have no idea what to do about Jamtland.

Ceterum censeo Castile esse delendam​

Last edited:
Just imagine how it must feel for the people living in Jamatland :p

Anyways, I am quite glad Aragon gave you a run for your money. I don't want you falling alseep on the computer ;)

move portugals capital to jämtland, by war.

Thats the weirdest thing Ive ever seen! Ouch, Aragon are scary!

Grand micromanaging that Aragonese death stack in South America. Expected defeats, but they bled too, especially their cavalry and good use of attrition. Must have had some good dice rolls on that victory I guess, as your army wasn't that much larger then theirs'?

Those 4 Aragonese artillery regiments will be their downfall. For the same money they could have had 8 cavalry regiments and given you a good ride around the Andes.

I imagine Jämtland will end up defecting to Gotland. There is always two things that are certain to feature in your AARs, missionaries and Gotland :rofl:

Jeese, bandwidth exceeded already, barely 19 hours after the post? :eek:

Makes for a nice read, but it'd be nice to actually see what's happening, especially the peace deal. Fact is you obviously have WAY too many people viewing this thread, lol.

"Ahh...Houston?"

"What's it now? We know that going to the bathroom isn't *normal* up there, you just got to get used it."

"No that's not it, we seem to have a reoccurance of the same problem"

"Yes we know...Tang gets old after awhile. Try mixing it in with your potato."

"No, no. Umm...our bandwidth has been exceeded."

The operator jumps up in suprise, "Good holy lord, no wonder the dial-up here is so slow. I have been trying to watch pirated movies lately, but I seem to know why I now I have to wait days before it is fully buffered."

"Sir?"

Then the operator gets a suspicious look on his face, "Hey, say, what in the world do you need to use all that bandwidth up there for? It's not as if there is anything in the black of space, heh, get it, the black of space."

silence.

With a throw of the headset against the controls the operator curses, "Dangnabit, I can never tell when they hang up."

Image Hosting

comagoosie - It's not a problem, it's an opportunity, which I've taken the opportunity to fix. The images in the last update have been rehosted, an enjoyable evening.

urdh - It's all in Swedish (?) - it took me long enough to get Imageshack working for me :rofl:

Azugal - I'm a victim of my own genius ;) 25Gb of downloaded images from Photobucket in about 18 days. Some of that is my Castile AAR as the view count continues to click up over there as well.

FEEDBACK

demokratickid - I'm pretty happy with the peace deal with Castile - I intend to take all of Iberia.

comagoosie - Aragon's army is a real pain, I hate to think of how difficult Burgundy or Bohemia will be.

unddu - Unit quality diffential - if I had Latin tech units then matters would be different, very different.

xlip - Always nice to see a new face here, glad you've been following along.

Olchardwell - I'll try but I'm not very sure about how that sort of thing works...

Lord Strange - I don't know about weird but it's very annoying :mad:

urdh - I'll try, soon ;)

Qorten - The Aragonese units pack far more punch than my units do. Basically I hit them repeatedly until I get lucky and they lose. The artillery train means I'm always moving faster so they never recover and I eventualy get the overrun. It's a bloody way of doing things, you can never have enough manpower :(

aldriq - Gotland? I've had a look a couple of times but they seem to be a guarantee magnet and I'm looking for small wars not to be tagteamed by a coalition.

rapidem - If I can work out how I will!

Update hopefully later this week - I've played another five months from this point and my RL issues are simmering until Friday - I'm looking to buy a house and I'm seeing a property on Friday that I'll put an offer on unless I spot a problem.

And I think finally we're seeing the difficulty of taking on Europe (or indeed a WC) with a native American tribe. As you stated, I'd hate to see how you'd go against Burgundy or Bohemia. Or can you take the time to spit out ~50k troops from your Aragonese cores?

As for Lima... That's a lot of troops to lose over two provinces. :eek: