• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FEEDBACK

LeoGecko We shall see, things have not gone how I expected...

Edzako Story of my life, trapped in the wrong film. But if this is to be an Action AAR I better get down to the Church of Chuck and start praying!

Lord Strange There wasn't any prepositioning by the AI it just DOWed and then pointed units in my general direction. I had several months of preinstructed regiments happily wandering past Iroquois to look at the St Lawrence and then march back to the Mississippi.

There are no Portuguese colonies in North America, only cities.

Kami Thanks, I'll need the luck :(

Capibara I have a strategy, I'm going to go head to head and gamble they don't have the manpower.

Emperor_krk I can't siege race, as soon as Portugal takes a province they can annex it. Also the AI is a lot better than EU2. It's perfectly capable of putting field forces up against your armies while running multiple sieges. I'd definitely siege race if I wasn't Pagan. Those northern winters must be adequate for attrition purposes.

demokratickid Who knows, it ain't over 'til it's over ;)

Wombats O' War I'm rather hoping Portugal doesn't have the manpower for uberstackage

Mattabesta I was kinda interested in that one as well :D No it doesn't otherwise it would be game over. GB has about 30k of troops sat in those provinces :eek:

Kami Agreed, attrition will hurt Portugal but I'll still lose provinces. I need to take the war to the enemy and engage them head on.

Anti-Tank Sounds about right...

Olaus Petrus I think you're right about someone needing to DOW Portugal. Ideally I'd like them to get in a succession war with Castile that is a bloody draw but wrecks both empires.

Vladislav Save file editing leads to the Dark Side

EnragedKiwi At last a vote of confidence :cool:

phargle Victory I say! Victory or Death. Possibly just Death :rofl:

GeneralHannibal Vassalisation would be a neat trick, pretty boring AAR after that but a damn neat trick all the same. The big problem is I can't see how you offer it in the Peace interface and the Portuguese won't ever have a high enough war score to offer because they'll annex provinces rather than occupying them.

Didaa A Brazilian wanting me to kill Portuguese soldiers? Guess they shouldn't have stolen Deco after all ;)

Wombats O' War That's the spirit!

coz1 At last, someone appreciating the hard work I put in to deliver a cunning trading strategy.

curufin My economy holds up reasonably well (a bit of inflation) so I get to use my spies. I do eventually come up with a far more effective way of hurting Portugal.

ulmont I'll play it as it comes, maybe 3.2 helps?

urdh yeah, that's the polite version of what I thought...

Soarom, Winner, Derdiedas and everyone else involved

I'd suggest cultural / economic factors. Try Jared Diamond 'Guns, Germs and Steel' even if you don't agree with his conclusions it's a fascinating read exploring the roots of the differences between human cultures in different parts of the world.

However to keep the thread on track can I echo Olaus Petrus's wise suggestion and ask those interested in pursuing the debate to take this to the History Forum.

Derdiedas Hi, by the way, nice to see you taking a look!

Demon1 Cheating! Never I say! (Mutters to self, beware Sith agents in the thread).

Kami Huzzah for honour and decency (and probably getting annexed but let's not go there).

Demon1 I'll go and play someone with armies

phargle I agree, I don't mind getting annexed as long as I go down fighting. The point of this AAR was simply to explore what can be done with Iroquois not to showcase some lunatic outcome like for example every province on the map being Catholic :wacko::eek:o:wacko::eek:o;)

Olaus Petrus Hopefully, it won't come to a desperate last stand...

Mannisks Thanks

Duke of Wellington Well said and so economically.

Olaus Petrus Thank you, I'm in agreement that perhaps it would be better to continue that debate in the History Forum.

Cyrus_The_Great We have differing definitions of fun, mine include cloning Angelina Jolie ;)

Chapter Nine
A spot of bother

At least with this being the Portuguese DOW of a pagan no one else gets called to the party. Just as well I can fight Portugal but Aragon, Castile and Great Britain as well? NO!

The theatre of war

EU3_38.jpg

Portuguese units seem to be Tercio Infantry and Latin Knights – I can beat these on a good day but the broad nature of the front means that I’m simply marching a slowly diminishing stack around trying to break sieges. Later I’ll see Portuguese mercenaries, they favour Maurician Infantry.

31/07/1587 Wyandot is lost with a relief column only weeks away.

EU3_39.jpg

Using two large stacks, of 9 and 13 regiments, is working at beating small Portuguese siege forces but once a siege succeeds the province is permanently lost. Portuguese units are looking ragged and the large battles are hurting them for manpower as well. However, my main army has got caught up in a battle against a major Portuguese force and defeat is near.

EU3_40.jpg

Defeat

EU3_41.jpg

Not a crippling defeat but somewhere I’ll lose a siege and a province

07/11/1587 Allegheny is lost

31/03/1588 Potawatomi is lost with a relief force only 3 days away

07/11/1588 Seneca, one of my core territories is lost

Theatre Map – January 1589

EU3_42.jpg

I’ve used the spy mission ‘infiltrate administration’ to lift the fog of war. This mission is great, use it. Most Portuguese units in the Americas are now at the front. I suspect I’ll need to draw in and destroy units from across the entire Portuguese Empire before I get close to winning this war.

Notice I’ve captured several provinces over by the Mississippi and my two main armies are still in the fight – but possibly not for much longer my manpower is about to go. Also I can’t drive the Portuguese out of my port Moose Cree – I’m going to lose that as well fairly soon.

I should have had the audacity to have hoped, Moose Cree was relieved! The main Portuguese army was also beaten in Cayuga. I seem to have numerical superiority for the moment. Mercenary units will be raised to carry out a couple more sieges, if I can rest my main armies I will as manpower remains a huge concern.

Look at the pirates in the Gulf of St Lawrence!

EU3_43.jpg

Theatre Map – January 1591

EU3_44.jpg

I have the upper hand across most of North America although I’m out of manpower. I need another 10000 troops and gain 500 a month. Mercenaries are expensive but very useful for sieges. Careful spying suggests Portugal is running very short of troops as well. I keep hoping that a major revolt breaks out on Sumatra and forces them to send/raise troops at the other end of the Latin world.

Theatre Map - January 1592

EU3_45.jpg

War Score is +37 at this point – Portugal won’t give up anything for peace. I want several provinces; in fact I’ll actually need several provinces simply to get back to where I was pre war. Especially since a DOW the day the truce is over looks pretty likely. Notice the rebels; it gets worse as time goes by.

August 1592 Castile drags Portugal into another war in Southern India, it’s got to help. I was feeling that the war was turning against me. I‘ve ran out of momentum and Portuguese forces are reclaiming as many territories as I can take.

12/12/1592 The first peace offer from Portugal – White Peace. Rejected as it’s not enough and I think I can gain more if I can stay in the war another two or three years.

Theatre Map – January 1593

EU3_46.jpg

Peace?

EU3_47.jpg

At +40 war score I can stab hit as they won’t even hand over 25 ducats; time for Portugal to start paying the price.

Cyrus_The_Great We have differing definitions of fun, mine include cloning Angelina Jolie ;)[/FONT]

I, uh, did that.

Fantastic progress on the war. I love it when they won't even take 25 ducats and you can cause their government to go into turmoil. Down with Portugal. Hopefully, they give you what you want. And hopefully, that Castilian war doesn't end prematurely.

And you only lost the Ohio-Pennsylvania valley?

Well done.

Despite the four provinces lost, you have turned the tide in your favor, it's just a matter of time before you force the Portugese to at least hand the provs they took. Those stab hits will be very useful to acomplish your goal.

Thinks are definitely starting to look up. :)

I think if you took a vote, no one would mind if you enable cavalry for yourself, since that's how it's supposed to work. No cheating involved in working around a bug. If not, that's okay... we'll see how well you can do with infantry and artillery.

Stab hit them to collapsing. Soon you will be ready to own the Portuguese.

Portugal has a hard time juggling all their colonies. I don't remember if you said, but if they have colonies in West Africa then they're almost guaranteed to be in constant revolt. And they never have enough troops in Portugal itself to deal with rebel uprisings in the capital due to their low manpower. If you can just outlast them, they'll crumble...

Afterwards, though, pray to your pagan gods for a European alliance :D

Great job! I'm amazed that you survived, let alone won. Hopefully you'll be able to stab hit them until they give you back at least the provinces you lost. Also, while you can't counterattack European nations back in Europe, you can start a kind of "Monroe Doctrine" if you can get strong enough. If you can kick out or at least contain all European powers in the New World, you'll be safe.

I wouldn't mind if you edited the save to add cavalry. In fact, it would be unfair not to. You're cheating yourself.

Congratulations again!

They smacked you pretty hard but you got up to keep fighting. I'm impressed. You've done well taking territory to the south, though I fear as you likely do that they'll never give you a peace deal to your liking. Still...best food forward and all that. It remains interesting.

Impressive success during the early war. Now it's war of attrition. Hopefully they don't have extra troops somewhere which they can ship to North America.