+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 84 1 2 3 11 26 51 76 ... LastLast

Thread: The Audacity of Hope - An Iroquois IN AAR

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2EU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The Audacity of Hope - An Iroquois IN AAR

The Audacity of Hope

An Iroquois IN AAR

The game is IN 3.1 Very Hard. All settings default except Lucky Nations to Random. Following on from my posts of surviving as Maya until 1821 someone asked if that was possible as Iroquois. I doubt it but all we have to fear is fear itself* so let’s try it and see what happens

The only goal is to survive as long as possible.

This will be a gameplay AAR so questions and comments are very welcome. I hope people can learn a little from this AAR. I also hope it will be shorter than For God's Sake!

* We should also fear annexation
    Last edited by PrawnStar; 07-12-2008 at 20:00.

Apparently I need to buy some more gravel.

My AARs: EU3 England, Golden Horde, France, Iroquois, Castile / EU2 Finland / My Inkwell

"Sunset Invasion isn't ASB - it's just Prawnstar playing CK2" Athalcor
    "If EU3 had exiled prawn-like aliens he'd be the first one to do a WC with them..." aldriq
    "You were prawn under a conquering stAAR!" Arakhor

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2EU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Chapter One
    Talking the Talk

Iroquois start as a Tribal Democracy in the New World Tech group and Shamanist. That is unstable, incapable of progress and simple to annex. I mean to do something about this; before being annexed by some passing European, quite possibly Mantua, Meissen or Ryazan*.

Domestic Policies and the Known World

The known world, actually that should probably be the unknown world; the Great Spirit Rumsfeld speaks much sense on this matter.

The cost of reaching a high enough level of government tech to escape Tribal Democracy for something more suited to the modern world is too high for Iroquois without outside help (currently at 138 of 131040 for Gov’t 1 – due May 2668). Westernisation is the answer. Westernisation is however, somewhat tricky to do. I need a Latin tech neighbour, a ruler with admin skill 6 and be three points Innovative and 2 points Centralised. That’s 10 slider moves taking about 100 years.

Once I’ve westernised tech costs will fall and I should get the option at some point to adopt a non-tribal government. The problem of anyone who occupies my provinces being able to seize them on the spot doesn’t go away. All research will be directed at Gov’t tech – it might just be crucial in the post westernisation race to Gov’t level 10 needed to convert a Tribal Democracy into a Noble Republic.

Foreign policy is basically about annexing Huron – I’ll probably try and do that in such a way I get cores straight away from completing missions.

Religious decisions – Shamanists have two, both worth doing. The first, ‘Encourage Divination’ is -1 Revolt Risk for +5% stab cost, the second ‘Introduce Vision Quest’ +1% Prestige for +5% stab cost.

* All inland OPMs

Apparently I need to buy some more gravel.

My AARs: EU3 England, Golden Horde, France, Iroquois, Castile / EU2 Finland / My Inkwell

"Sunset Invasion isn't ASB - it's just Prawnstar playing CK2" Athalcor
    "If EU3 had exiled prawn-like aliens he'd be the first one to do a WC with them..." aldriq
    "You were prawn under a conquering stAAR!" Arakhor

Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2

Blog Entries
    rarely see native american AAR's good luck

suscribe

Well after seeing your results with Maya I was most impressed. I shall look forward to following the progress this time.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Rise of PrussiaEU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

945 (EU3, Michigan) in between palm and ring finger
    Blog Entries
    good luck, I think you are going to need it
    EU3 Save Suite - your one stop shop for everything related to EU3 savegames.

I want you to contribute to great tools developed for Paradox. See this thread. Help with the parsing or with creating an EU4 Savegame editor

Think you're the best EU3 player? Check out the EU3 Hall of Fame
    Dealt: A polish colonel deals his last hand
    The Swiss Account: The average documentation of the stereotypical Swiss.
    "Cheese ages better than women but money is forever." - Davout
    EU3 Hurt and Heal Archive

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Looks interesting. I'm going to follow this one. Good luck.
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

Darkest Hour Team & Lead GFX Inner Circle's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    I once tried it with Cherokee but failed miserably... Maybe you´ll have more luck than me...

Good Luck!

DARKEST HOUR
    1914-1963 Grand Strategy Game

Europa Universalis 3

I tried it with the Hurons on Eu3. It was a very nice game. I westernised quickly (1549) and shortly after that got the best king I ever had. So I thought that this would be the time for government change. I changed the save file to noble republic and -3 stab. The rest of the game was catching up in tech and conquering much of canada and the north of the united states.
    French Algeria, time of glory. (on hold do to writers block.)

WW2, rise of Austria. (Ongoing)

Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Interesting. Good luck, you'll probably need it

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Cool, show the native power

Manners Makyth Man Demi Moderator Lord Strange's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Good luck, but then again you did a great job with the mayans.
    Founder of the Lord Strange School of Thought

If I'm speaking in Gold, it means I'm speaking in my capacity as a Demi-Mod.
    Any other colour, it's your choice whether to pay attention or not

When you got First Contact, don't forget to change your leader to Chief Barack Obama and give him stats of 10 (at least a DIP 10!), just for the epicness.

Until then, it's EU3 on autopilot for you. Well, except for the occasional core missions against the doomed Hurons.

Definately something I'll watch. Have you thought about trying to be Cherokee? I think they're in a better position, having more land to conquer/vassalize. Also, wouldn't it be worthwhile to shift to tribal despotism, as I think that allows a government shift at govt tech 1 (or maybe 2)?

Also, if you plan on conquering Huron, how will you deal with the events that occur when you have more than 10 provinces and tribal govt?

Good luck!

Darkest Hour Team & Lead GFX Inner Circle's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
    When you got First Contact, don't forget to change your leader to Chief Barack Obama and give him stats of 10 (at least a DIP 10!), just for the epicness.

Until then, it's EU3 on autopilot for you. Well, except for the occasional core missions against the doomed Hurons.

DARKEST HOUR
    1914-1963 Grand Strategy Game

A Smooth Operator Brandenburg III's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company Collection
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIThe Kings Crusade
    Majesty II CollectionRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

On the corner of Breaking Hearts & Forgetting Names
    Blog Entries
    I’ve tried playing Navajo with WWM before and I was bored to tears twenty years in. Either way you deserve to be commended for the attempt and for choosing such a charged title. At least I can expect these pages to be honest. Expect me to be around, sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong (anything beyond 1.3
    My Ink Well updated 30/June Contains AARs, Mods and Projects
    They Call Me The Swede
    HOI II Library Updated through 13 March 2009

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I'm definately looking forward to this!

I don't envy you though, once you've suitably beat up on everyone I expect there's going to be a lot of waiting around for the europeans to turn up.

I'm sure you'll make a fine show out of it, all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner Circle View Post
    The AAR's title is a reference to a phrase -- well, actually it is the phrase -- made famous by being the title for Mr. Obama's autobiographical memoir, as well as his landmark 2004 convention speech that transformed his career.

Considering the current events (which we obviously won't go into detail on as 1. this is not the right forum and 2. it's not about the AAR), I presume that's where our author here hears it from and likes how it sounds for his Herculean challenge. You kind of need to be rather...audacious and hopeful, to expect to survive the conquistadors as a New World nation in this game.

Plus, I think having a 10-stats leader for once is epic. I mean, it's impossible without direct editing, so..!

HoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    MagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Your best bet is to seize a not-yet-finished colony of Christians, get peace, then kick them until they rebel so that they force convert you to Christianity.

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    I will really be looking forward to this AAR, specially after seeing your maya screens, best of the lucks!
    The Memoirs of Santiago Nadal: A Mexico AAR
    The User Created Nations Mod: The only mod where you play with countries created by the EU3 community! Come and try it!

Europa Universalis III LibrAARian
    My Inkwell, in case you want to read one of my works or future projects.
    Every day with you girl is sweeter than the day before.
    No era penal...

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

Let me guess:

"In 1399 I moved a slider toward innovative, then set game speed to 5. 11 years later I made another slider move toward innovative. I set it to turbo-speed until I got a random event giving me -1 prestige, and then made another slider move toward..."

:P

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 84 1 2 3 11 26 51 76 ... LastLast