• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow! the USA seems to have made up ground pretty fast. Hopefully, you can stage yourself well enough for the eventual German-American war...

Good updates.

I'm hoping the Japanese can launch a last offensive and clear the Americans from the Island.

Again, I still feel a major conference is needed between the Kaiser and the President. This BS needs to stop, and an ultimatum delivered.

A Dark Day for the Reichswehr, The Death of FieldMarshall Hammerstein-Equord. - April 19th

untitled251.jpg

In Late March FieldMarshall Hammerstein-Equord was due to be transferred to Singapore in preparation for German campaigns in the Far East. Sadly only days before his HQ divisions was supposed to board transports in Venice he was diagnosed with cancer. Hammerstein-Equord decided to stay in Berlin with his family for his final days, passing away on April 19th. Meissner offered his family a state funeral which was thankfully accepted. The entire Reichswehr would be given a day off to mourn the loss of the FieldMarshall.

Hammerstein Equord was most famous for his exploits during the German Civil War and on the Eastern Front during the war with the Communists. He was known for being an ardent anti-Nazi and one of the key Generals who, with Oskar Meissner convinced Hindenburg not to appoint Hitler Chancellor which would plunge the nation into Civil War but in turn save Germany from Hitler’s rule. During the Civil War he served in command of many different forces, fighting well in every command. Aft the war he would fall back out of the limelight until 1938 when he was given the task of reorganising the Austrian Army into a part of the Reichswehr after the Anschluss, his success in this task earned him the command of an HQ unit.

During the War in the East he served as Blomberg’s deputy until 1942 when he was given total control over Army Group North. He would also take part in the 40 hour victory over Czechoslovakia later that year.

untitled252.jpg

In Singapore FieldMarshall Böhm-Ermoli took charge of Hammerstein’s former HQ unit as Germany looked forward towards the future.

Hammerstein_2_DW_Ku_444484g.jpg

But for now it looked back upon the career of one of its greatest servants of recent times.

This was a tiny update (at not the most exciting) so I MIGHT make another onelater tonight, we shall see.

von Bohm-Ermolli is the man though. He'll do well.

Sad to see that he died. I know O played a very long game where I even invested in him enough to make him a Field Marshal aswell, only to have him die on me after attaining a skill of 3.89. If I had known I would have used someone else..

The Treaty of Singapore

As more and more Reichswehr personnel arrived in the port of Singapore the British convoy system become strained to breaking point. With 72 German divisions idle in the city gradually less and less food reached Singapore even as more Reichswehr divisions arrived, by late May over a thousand German had died of starvation and all mechanized equipment lay immobilized due to a lack of oil. So on June 7th Meissner traveled to London to find a solution to the problem.

Over the past six months Germany had built an extensive merchant fleet and would be able to keep the army in supply if only they would be allowed to take control of the city. Churchill, knowing how desperate the situation in Singapore was decided to force Meissner to begin to improve his icy relationship with Roosevelt. In exchange for a lease of Singapore until the conclusion of the war with Japan Meissner would have to agree to any meeting between himself, Churchill and Roosevelt proposed over the same period of time by the British PM.

untitled255.jpg

Of course the deal was accepted as the Treaty of Singapore was signed on June 11th (effectively a lease on the city) and Churchill instantly organized a trip to Washington in order to meet with the American President

Looks like fans of the US-German stand-off will have to wait a while before things get confrontational again cause it looks like there is going to be a detente.

But dont worry that cant last for too long :D

SIncethis update was so tiny I WILL make another, larger, more exciting update today.

The Adventures of Major General Ritchie's 9th Indian Infantry

ritchie.jpg

Shortly after signing the Treaty of Singapore Churchill agreed to Major General Neil Ritchie’s audacious plan to attack central China. Ritchie was given the 9th Indian Division and the services of the Royal Navy in transporting him to China but little else. Ritchie had billed the attack as a hit and run assault looking to show Japan’s inability to keep control of China, to allow Chinese friendly to Britain and her allies to escape and to deal some damaged to one of China’s most important industrial centers.

untitled256.jpg

On June 19th The Royal Navy forced its way into Shanghai harbor and Ritchie’s 9th Indian Infantry stormed out into the city, forcing out a limited Japanese force to the cheers of mass crowds assembling in the city. Later that night the first shipload of Chinese dissidents boarded ships on route to Hong Kong were Britain planned to transform them into a division dedicated to China’s Liberation.

indiandiv.jpg

But Ritchie’s men had no time to rest an on the morning of June 20th they set off towards the city of Hangzhou, an important air base for the Asian air force in the region, if the base could be taken the Japanese and Chinese air forces would be unable to operate in the region.

untitled257.jpg

After the capture of Hangzhou on June 24th Ritchie began his advance northward, entering Suzhou on June 29th. It was here where he would face his first major battle of the campaign as the Indian Infantry smashed two Chinese divisions, some believed Ritchie could conquer all China on his own, other (more realistic) people were adamant that he should carry on his momentum and assault the Chinese capital at Nanjing. Ritchie however refused, saying he would not put his men in unnecessary danger and instead advanced north to Yangzhou. In was upon seizing this city, on July 3rd that Ritchie’s expedition reached its zenith.

untitled258.jpg

On July 6th Hangzhou fell, Ritchie requested that British High Command send transport vessels to rescue his men from capture by the Japanese Army. High Command could only offer him a ginbaot that would force its way up the Yangtze to rescue him, Ritchie chose to stay with his en and set up defenses around Yangzhou.

untitled260.jpg

On July 24th Suzhou fell, this time Ritchie had not simply abandoned the city, instead he had sent 2,000 of his roughly 10,000 strong force to protect the city. They managed to inflict 6,000 casualties (with the help of the local population) on the Japanese and Chinese armies before they retreated with barely 100 casualties of their own.

moerindians.jpg

On July 27th, three days after Suzhou was reoccupied by the Japanese the assault on Yanzhou would begin. However despite outnumbering their opponents 5 to 1 the Chinese and Japanese troops would be repeatedly repelled as the Indian troops fought ferociously for weeks. As it became apparent that Ritchie’s campaign was having an enormous bolstering effect to Commonwealth moral Churchill gave the order to ‘’rescue the 9th Indian Infantry’’. Now the Royal Navy made it its duty to save as many members of the division as possible from the ever growing besieging army. Directly sending vessels up the Yangtze would be impossible due to a large Japanese force situated at the mouth of the river, so to counteract this the British called upon their allies in France and Germany as well as the US to launch a massive aerial bombardment of the force to allow British ships to burst into the river and save the troops. The attack would be launched on August 9th, allow the majority of Japanese vessels were cleared only a few British transports got through and just over half of the 9th Indian Infantry were rescued. Now in an even worse position with much of their force gone Ritchie’s men would face another Japanese-Chinese onslaught the following day. This time their defensive line for breached at several points but somehow the small force was able to hold its own as it withdrew closer towards the Yangtze. It would be more than a week before help would arrive and it that time Ritchie’s men were pushed further and further back to the point that when their rescuers finally arrived they help only a couple of square miles.

untitled263.jpg

But despite all this the 9th Indian Infantry survived despite losing almost ¼ of its men mainly in the last couple of weeks of their campaign, but Ritchie’s work in China was not done as he went directly from Yangzhou to Shanghai where he would organize a few hundred Chinese dissidents into a force to resist Japan’s inevitable onslaught.

untitled264.jpg

But even Ritchie was unable to save the city as it fell after only a couple days of fighting, he and a few leading Chinese dissenters fled Shanghai harbor on August 22nd to mark he end of Ritchie’s two month adventure in China. Over 50,000 Chinese dissidents had escaped to Hong Kong, Commonwealth moral was soaring, Ritchie was a hero and most importantly the powerful American and German armies were made to see just how much damage even a small force could do with an invasion of China ….

Worlds struggle to express quite how bad a deal the Treaty of Singapore appears to be. I suspect it will be hard to eject the Germans from their new Far Eastern base, while the 'concession' extracted is in practice meaningless. I mean Meissner could meet FDR, hurl faeces at him, then walk out and still meet the conditions. :eek:

Still not a bad explanation for a necessary game measure. ;)

Worlds struggle to express quite how bad a deal the Treaty of Singapore appears to be. I suspect it will be hard to eject the Germans from their new Far Eastern base, while the 'concession' extracted is in practice meaningless. I mean Meissner could meet FDR, hurl faeces at him, then walk out and still meet the conditions. :eek:

Still not a bad explanation for a necessary game measure. ;)

Its not too bad a deal considering Churchill currently has 2 missions in life right now: beating Japan ASAP and getting the US and Germany a little friendlier. This will certainly help beat Japan and has the chance of warming up relations between Germany and America. Also if the Germans try to keep Singapore after the war that would certainly lead to both the UK and US going to war against them, with the navy yet to be built and much of the Reichswehr in Asia defeat would be certain. So not too bad a Treaty.

Looks like fans of the US-German stand-off will have to wait a while before things get confrontational again cause it looks like there is going to be a detente.

But dont worry that cant last for too long :D

SIncethis update was so tiny I WILL make another, larger, more exciting update today.

:mad: But hey, two updates! That's good too! :D

Nice updates.

Ritchie did well in China.

Nice updates.

Ritchie did well in China.

At first I was afraid that Britain would take all China on their own, but all they sent was one division, fools. When I make an attempt of my own it will be with a slightly bigger force :D

Todays update is about US activities in the Phillipines and Churchill's meeting with Roosevelt.

AI does that all the time. Suicide landings.

Let's see what Churchill will say to Roosevelt. :>

The Liberation of Mindanao

untitled259.jpg

With the Germans holding Luzon firmly under their control the US Army decided to make an attack on the Philippines second largest island in order to cement their own position on the island chain. In late June US Marines landed at Davao in the southern Philippine island of Mindanao, over the next few days much of the island would fall with ease as the Chinese defenders retreated to the Zamboangao peninsula. Seeing no need to launch an attack that would likely cause horrible casualties for little gain it was decided to allow the Chinese troops to remain on the peninsula until their inevitable surrender as supplies would run dry.

Détente?

H_l_mencken.jpg

As the war dragged on in the east and the US opposition to Germany seemed increasingly futile criticism for Roosevelt’s anti-German stance began to mount up. One of the most well known pieces and influential critics was the journalist H L Mencken who published the essay ‘’The All American Demagogue’’ opening with the line ‘’ Demagogue - one who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots." Soon faith in Roosevelt’s regime was faltering and the people called for the reopening of trade with Germany and for Roosevelt to begin political dialogue with the German leadership.

churchandroos.jpg

Churchill’s arrival in Washington in mid June gave the President a way out from this harsh criticism in a manner that would preserve his pride. To the surprise of Winston Churchill Roosevelt was eager to meet with Meissner, a long time political enemy, saying he was hopeful of ‘’finding a solution to the problems in Europe, building a common policy in the Far East and the ending of the US embargo of German products’’. A meeting in the Australian city of Sydney was scheduled for September, for the first time the three most powerful men on earth - Meissner, Roosevelt and Churchill – would meet face to face.

I hope all goes well.

WTF, local chinese helping the british to fight chinese and japs? :rofl:
A chinese hates every conqueror, be it british or japanese or mongol or manchu, but why would they assist someone who is in a war with their legal regime? :rofl:

And why does Roosevelt send american pretty boys to fight japanese on Honshu?
It's just a worser massacre than Verdun or Sommer, since japanese would literally fight untill death for their Emperor-God.

LEAVE JAPAN ALONE! :D

Uhuh, please, Japan is a democracy, make peace with them!