+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hakkapeliitta’s short guide to MTTH for modders

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Hakkapeliitta’s short guide to MTTH for modders

I decided to try to write a short "modders guide to mtth" type of document to help modders to deal with some of the basic mathematical properties of MTTH. (I think there is a need for guide in the matter given that even the eu3 wiki currently contains erranous information on what exactly MTTH means)

After about two hours of writing I managed to make the first draft for the guide. This is not meant to teach how to write events, but just to help with using and assigning MTTH values.

This guide is based on the information given by Johan and discussion that followed it in the over-year-old thread: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=304046

Attached is the first quick draft as an PDF:

[edit: corrected the figure in the guide - at least now it's visible. Corrected year to stand for 365 days instead of 360 (was still thinking of old EU2 type years)]

Please discuss!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hakkapeliitta; 05-12-2008 at 16:28.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Thumbs up

I think some of the values are a bit of. In example 3 you assume that a year is 360 days. Does Paradox use a 360 day year and not a 365 day year? AFAIK they use a 365 day year even though times set in months are simply multiplied by 30. At least when you assign title durations in EU: Rome they use a 365 day year not a 360 day year. Also M = 120 * 30 is 3600 not 360. Finally my adobe shows all the figures as empty not containing any curves or lines.

Other than that great work. Guess I have to add the "expected number of firing during a given time period" to my calculator at some point.
    “You see, seńorita, mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where.” - Cortez, The Longest Journey

HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Thanks for the comments. I've fixed the figure to actually show and fixed the typing errors in the 100-year example, as well as changed the year to be 365 days (the case in EU3 & Rome).

Thumbs up

Thank you Hakkapeliitta, I certainly need all the mathematical help I can get.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Very useful.

I especially like the bibliography. You should show Johan.
    A mod for Europa Universalis IV that enhances religion in the age of faith and reason
    Want to play as a Sikh? Want Jewish minorities? Want a turbulent Reformation? This mod is for you.
    Game concepts explained on the Wiki
    Current status: 98% complete and compatible with Conquest of Paradise
    Download available April 9, 2014) or subscribe on Steam to get updates automatically
    Project Cryptic: 10% complete

The Wookie and dharper,

thanks for the encouragement. When I'm designing my own events I've found it sometimes useful to be able to evaluate what MTTH would give me a certain chance of event firing during a reign (say 30 years) of a ruler who has certain exceptional qualities. That's why I think part 2 "Chance of firing during a given time period" is the most useful part of the guide.

Quote Originally Posted by dharper View Post
    I especially like the bibliography. You should show Johan.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

With the help of Hakkapeliitta, I've made an excel sheet that can do most of these calculations.

It is posted in Rome's modding section. Here is the link:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=384382
    “You see, seńorita, mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where.” - Cortez, The Longest Journey

+ Reply to Thread