• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Forgive me, but why NZ? It's hardly a second Gibraltar or anything. :confused:

Teep: Yeah, how do we know they havent gone for Aussie? ;)

Trekaddict:
I've been waiting for someone to ask, really. To be honest, I follow the maxim, 'write what you know'. I could write about Aussie, or America being invaded, but I know NZ and, well, it was an interesting topic to explore. I have no idea why NZ has been attacked, but then again, neither does Jay :D. Fair point though

Teep: Yeah, how do we know they havent gone for Aussie? ;)

Trekaddict:
I've been waiting for someone to ask, really. To be honest, I follow the maxim, 'write what you know'. I could write about Aussie, or America being invaded, but I know NZ and, well, it was an interesting topic to explore. I have no idea why NZ has been attacked, but then again, neither does Jay :D. Fair point though

Indonesia is the only one who has, to my knowledge, both even a remote interest in knocking out NZ and the Russian-made kit, but don't they know that they are pissing off America and the Commonwealth by doing that?

One of the things is that to the best extent of my knowledge, (as an Australian) that NZ has very little natural resources, except a f*ckload of sheep and even they are not native. No offence, but who would want this strategically practically useless, low in resources (and land for that matter) earthquake prone nation?

Trekaddict: Yeah, but its not them. They know what they are doing I guess.

Teep: Ouch. Well, NZ could have some value. Like the value Okinawa had, (maybe not so much) but for that reason. Where would this army go next?

Fernando Torres:It could be a part of an nefarious Russian plan... As we speak England may be being bombed too!

Bear in mind this is an AH scenario. I'm making up history as I go here :D

Last edited:
One of the things is that to the best extent of my knowledge, (as an Australian) that NZ has very little natural resources, except a f*ckload of sheep and even they are not native. No offence, but who would want this strategically practically useless, low in resources (and land for that matter) earthquake prone nation?

They have some Fe, W, Ti, S, C, Au and Ag :D (according to the map I find in internet, when I searched it to my new zealand's AAR).

That was unexpected. In hindsight it should have been obvious (given the forum ;) ) but I wasn't expecting Su-27s and paratroopers.

I'd concur with tk, I think it has to be Indonesia given the kit involved. Unless of course someone managed to invade Australia and base Flankers there without anyone noticing!

Wow... This is very nice. :D I like your style of writing - clean, informative, evocative, without unneccessary flourishes, i.e. the exact opposite of mine! - and the premise of Su-27s bombing New Zealand is intriguing. Personally, I've got my money on a secret Nazi conspiracy operating from a top secret base in Antarctica and plotting to cause a global thermonuclear war between the US, Russia, China, India, Indonesia, and pretty much everyone else so they can resurface and recreate the Third Reich on the charred ruins of civilisation. *nods* It might be something else though. :p

This one is going to my sig, to be hawked and peddled in other forums. Keep it up, sir! :)

_tr: Thanks, it would seem we have some resources, but to be honest I don't think they exist on an epic scale.

El Pip: Yeah, it wasnt going to be about the economic prowess of my supermarket :D Maybe those cheeky Aussies let them base planes there, revenge! haha

Morsky: Thanks very much! A secret Nazi base is a good idea. Why didnt I think of that? But no, alas it isnt.

Ok, I know who has invaded now, but judging from some replies, some people may not approve of it. I'm not sure why they did just yet, but I'll find something :D.

Ok, I know who has invaded now, but judging from some replies, some people may not approve of it. I'm not sure why they did just yet, but I'll find something :D.

"Red Cloud: Revenge of the Sheep" :D

Trekaddict: Indeed, have you not seen the movie? Black Sheep. Ive never seen it, but apparently it's ok.

Ive done an update, but I apologise. It seems as though my chapters are getting longer and longer. If there are any complaints i can cut them back

Chapter Five​

Watching those parachutes float gracefully down to the ground I felt my blood run cold. It felt as though my heart was pumping ice into every part of my body. I was vaguely aware of Siobhan breaking into low sobs behind me. My pulse roared in my ears as I watched plane after plane deposit it’s vile cargo over the city. I slowly turned around to look at my companions. Dave was staring into the sky with an uncomprehending look on his face. Siobhan had lost her grip on Dave’s shoulder and had slumped to the floor, her long brown hair falling forward as she buried her face in her hands and sobbed harder. She looked up at my with horror stricken eyes.
“Jay... what do we do? What is happening?” My reply sounded hollow in my ears.
“Nothing. There is nothing we can do. We have to wait it out.” Evidently it was not the right answer, as her face disappeared back into her palms and her shoulders convulsed with an extra round of sobbing. This galvanised Dave into action.
“Right, that’s a load of shit Jay. We can do something, we have to prepare!” I was still partially dazed, but the sense of his words did strike a chord.
“Yeah, we can do something. Dave, get some of that glass out of her leg, I’m just heading out for a bit...” Without checking to see if Dave was doing what I recommended, I walked out the front door and into a world that was very different to what it was two hours ago.

Once outside the world did not immediately seem different. The droning of the transport planes had faded, leaving a still calm. Without warning it all flooded back. Another jet screeched out of the sky and completed a low level pass over the street. I threw myself onto the ground with my hands over my ears in an attempt to reduce the screaming of the engines. It was not all that successful. I watched as another SU-27 flew parallel to the street at 25 metres off the ground, before launching another missile and peeling away. I picked myself up and looked around. Siobhan’s flat still burned down the road, smoke was rising from the city and all the while the parachutes continued their slow descent into the city. I shielded my eyes against the glare and did a 360. Right above the street, floating down toward me was a lone parachutist. He hung in his harness 50 metres over me. His eyes locked on to mine and what looked like a grin spread across his face. This most certainly did not look good. I turned and ran back into the house as echoes of gunfire began to reach my ears from within the city.

The parachutist hit the ground just as I reached the door. He began to sprint toward our flat. I jumped into the flat and slammed the door, catching a glimpse of the soldier beginning to raise his assault rifle as I did so. Dave stood in the hallway, hand wrapped around an imitation Glock pistol that was in all reality, just a BB gun. With plastic bullets. His eyes bulged as he made eye contact with me. Siobhan poked her head around the door of the lounge. The bruise on her forehead was beginning to take shape now.
“Get down, get down now!!” I screamed at the two of them. Siobhan looked confused.
“Wha-” was all she managed to get out before the door trembled as a lone round punctured it. We all fell to the ground. Two more bullets came through the door, one embedding itself in the ceiling, the other smashing the light bulb, making the hall way even gloomier that it usually was. Dave crawled back into his room. I tried to get into mine, but the handle only rotated part of the way. Shit. Why would I lock it today, of all days? I could hear boots crunching their way up to the door. I threw myself across the hall into my other flatmate’s room, thanking that she had gone home for the holidays and was now up in Christchurch. The boots hesitated on the porch. I smiled briefly, thanking the fact that we did not have a door handle. Our front door was one of those infuriating devices that only had a sliding lock on. As soon as you shut the door, the lock slid into place and you needed a key to get in if you were outside. More than once I had gone out to get the mail and fallen foul of it, yet now it may save my life.

Then again, it may not. A sustained burst of fire rattled out from outside. Hole after hole appeared in the door around the lock. I cursed our landlord for not getting a sturdier door, but then again, even an oak door would have had problems withstanding that sort of fire. The gun ran dry. I could hear Siobhan screaming from the lounge, Dave was praying and another voice was shouting “Fuck!” again and again. Oh, that was me... A boot thudded into the door. It quivered, but held. Dave gripped the pistol tighter and walked into the hall way. As if it would do anything. Siobhan had also armed herself, bringing a knife to a gunfight. It was one of our old kitchen knives that sometimes struggled to cut chicken, and therefore was utterly useless in this context. She stood a little behind Dave in the hall. I was closest to the door, standing in the door frame. Through the holes I could see the soldier’s camouflaged leg preparing for another kick. This time, the door did not hold.

The door swung open. The soldier stepped into the hallway, holding a pistol outstretched in his arm. As he saw me he swung the pistol toward my chest.
This was it. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Dave raising the imitation Glock and aiming it at the intruder’s head. His mouth formed the word ‘No!’ but I wouldn’t hear it. I was about to die. Aged 22, my body may lie in this stupid flat until the rats and other rodents got at me. The soldier’s eyes narrowed as he took up the slack in the trigger. I felt my arms rising in a vain attempt to stop the bullet.
God smiled on me. Because the soldier had used so much force in kicking the door open, it had banged against the opposite wall. As it did so, it began to swing closed again, hitting the soldier in his shoulder and disrupting his aim. It was enough. As the pistol discharged, his arm was swung a little to the right. I felt the hot gases spewed from the muzzle hit my body, and the searing pain as the bullet passed under my bicep, taking a layer or two of skin with it. I spun away to the right and fell to the ground, facing the soldier. I must have looked dead, as he did not finish me off. I was hoping he had never killed anyone before, and therefore had never seen the absence of life in a body’s eyes. I gazed up at him with what I hoped looked like lifeless eyes. It seemed to work. He refocused on his surroundings and saw Dave with a Glock pointing at his head. It was a no brainer. Dave was a commerce student who yesterday had been in a class about advanced accounting. The soldier was an elite warrior who had trained for years for this time. He swung his smoking pistol toward Dave.
This time he did not miss.

Ouch. In any case, this means WWIII in one way or another. If the Aussies are uninvolved they won't sit on the sidelines for much longer and ifd they come in they might very well ddrag NATO in with them. Prepare for ze Panzers to come to your rescue, Kiwis!

Im suprised that the Indonesian Aircraft have range to reach Dunedin of all places!! The story seems to be quite similar to the 'Tomorrow when the war began' series (which i might add its a bloody good series)

Trekaddict: Yeah, thats what we were hoping for. Then again, the Aussies may just sit there and go... yes... kill them all muahaha. Rivalries die hard lol

The Hunter: Yeah, that was something that I was worried about when I started. I read the books too, and I guess that would be where some of my inspiration came from, but I will try to make this my own. This isn't going to be a NZ 'Tomorrow'. Or else I'll have John Mardsen kicking down my door screaming 'WTF?!'

Still Indonesia huh? Hmmm

The Hunter said:
Im suprised that the Indonesian Aircraft have range to reach Dunedin of all places!! The story seems to be quite similar to the 'Tomorrow when the war began' series (which i might add its a bloody good series)
I was thinking that it sounded like the tomorrow series a bit too... as if they'd attacked NZ and AUS simultaniously perhaps? Still, now you'll get all your rugby players drafted.:(

Nice story. Only two problems.

1. SU-27 ain't a multipospose fighter, meaning it wouldn't be used in ground attack role. Now a MiG 29 would be relativly OK, since it is a multipurpose fighter. But what and RUS equiped nation would send in if they wanted CAS, are SU-25, ESPECIALY flying so low. That low planes are in serious danger of ground fire, and SU-27 is built for speed, not for insane ressistance. Or if the range is the problem, enemy might even rig some tanker as impotpu MI/Kamov carrier.

2. Isn't going from flat to flat killing civies, a bit a waste of time for an elite paratrooper during storming of the city?

Nice story. Only two problems.
Problem 2 I agree with, sending paras house to house is not only a waste of good manpower it's a waste of initative. The more time you waste doing that the more time the defenders of 'real' objectives have to get over the shock and prepare. Odd move.

Problem 1 though, if it is Indonesia they do have the bodged up sort-of-multi-role Su-27s and, more importantly, the only other option is the even shorter ranged F-16 (not counting the mighty Hawk trainer obviously ;) ).

That said as the author continues to be coy I'm half expecting a big surprise - It isn't Indonesia it's the Russians! Or the Uzbecks from their stealth carrier Not-Fictional-Istan

You see, I'm a bit hardware purist. Even if they used SU-27s as ground attack planes (a role which they hardly fit, most of air to ground weapons that can be fittted on it have quite a range, not a good thing when you want to support troops on ground), they DEFINITLY wouldn't be flying that low, and wasting expensive air to ground missiles on houses. If you want to use SU-27 on civies, as a scare weapon (which a figter plane with it's powerfull engine certanly can) I would equip it with good old fashioned unguided missile pods. A second too long on a triger, and entire block of buildings will go up in smoke.