• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@Bullfrog
You couldn't take the time to rotate the pictures (and possible edit into one) for your loyal viewers? ;):p

I'm afraid the strategic importance of Lake Titicaca requires much more than my measley windows picture editor to correctly map out. :D

I like the map...especially from the medium zoom level. It looks sharp and counter friendly. The province thing was supposed to be somewhat hexagonal though... the shapes are quite different from those of Europe atm.

map

The map looks great, you can clearly see the mountain ranges and the greener forest / planes regions even see some more desertlike colours. these regions are more dry mountains that indeed are more greybrown like. I like it.

as a sidenote i've got this terrainstuff thing in my head i just have to share.
maybe the terrain (and following movement / defense / attack restrictions) of a province can be based on a percentage of terrain in one province, say 30% mountains, 50% hills 20% plains wich then gives a resulting penalty on movement / atack / defense. instead of just a province of only hills. this wil give some more variety to the terrain modifyers which would allso be more realistic.

Where's the pre-order page ?:D

Why does it seem that every Dev Diary quickly devolves into QQ'ing about the map.

Uhh, a Peruvian Tank?

Why not? I'm sure they had some tanks. I wouldn't be surprised if they had enough WWI leftovers to form a brigade. A tank in this era wasn't that different from a tractor with a gun.

In Spain during the civil war, tanks were apparently transported by trucks to avoid damage (to the suspension and the engine, I assume).

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed in this DD. Speculation in the previous thread had already determined all the columns in the unit construction screen, and we already knew that the chain of command would include division, corps, army, and higher leadership to account for the 4 ranks of leaders in HoI2. About the only new pieces of information in this one are the facts that the chain of command will go all the way up to theater commands and that Chile is only one province wide at Santiago.

Is this a peruvian tank? Thanks for showing south america, but im still waiting for Brazil! :eek:o

That would be highly unlikely (I know, I know, it is only an alpha shot).

Historically, Peru had tanks in the 30's (Czech LPT ~ Panzer 35t) but those were too few (24 units) to form a panzer division.
Also, Peru's military followed the French doctrine, therefore tanks were mostly used as infantry support.

I am very curious to see the northern frontier of Peru, basically to see what Ecuador-Peru frontier Paradox will use, should be the Status quo 1936 and not the maximum Ecuatorian aspirations, as seen in HOI2

In Spain during the civil war, tanks were apparently transported by trucks to avoid damage (to the suspension and the engine, I assume).

For distances beyond 500 miles or so in a non-combat situation, tanks are transported by either rail (more common in WWII) or truck. Tanks break down easily, and furthermore they seriously screw up roads, paved or not.

I didn't come up with the "chorus" either, but clearly you and your "chorus" have no problem in self-identifying yourselves so, so I'll just run with that. What I genuinely wonder about is why some members of the "chorus" are so zealous in their attempt to refute what was clearly an aesthetic impression (I associate green/grey with mud. Big whoop.). You're one the winning side. Arguing against my aesthetic perception only makes you look uncertain in your own aesthetic assessment.

Neither did I, so lets leave the silly parting shots out of this. I dont care about winning or losing here either. :rolleyes: Ive said this before, I merely pointed out what was stated in DD#1... Dont shoot the messenger :)

As for my argument that Johan's statements contradict the actual look of the map, I'm still as right as I ever was. Incidentally, this is not subjective - you're more than welcome to refute me by producing an image of an operational map that has the same features as that of HoI3.

You're right because why?

The way I see it is this: Johan stated in DD#1 the philosophy behind the style of the map, then said he was very pleased with the way it turned out so far. To me that would indicate its what he had envisioned and that you misinterpreted what he said. Please show me where any of the devs have said its supposed to resemble an operational map? Thats your interpretation...

EDIT: Incidentally, my prediction that the game will get slammed by GameSpot, IGN and the rest is also very much refutable. As is your position. But we'll have to wait until next year to find out.

Of coarse it is, and we'll wait and see...:)

I'd much rather discuss formation AI than rehash whether and why my aesthetics should conform to those of the "chorus."

You know what, so would I. Though if you're going to say that after you rehash everything then it really doesnt mean anything does it, cute ;)

Again, all I did was mention what johan said about the map, I was slightly off in my first post because I used the word "field" in commander, surely that isnt the source of the confusion?

Cheers.

Quick question:

If the HOI3 player can choose between sprites and counters, why not allow the player to choose between "3D" and "2D" map mode?

The 3D map mode would look something like EU3 and the 2D map mode would look like the map now being developed for HOI3.

?

/Ratbag

24 CKD LTP (equivalent to Pz 35t)
90 CKD Praga TH (for the picture, looks like an armored truck)

Sorry, big mistake!!
CKD LTP is equivalent to Pz38t,
not Pz 35t

so as unbeliavable as this might sound, Peru's tanks were as advanced as German's in 1939 although in much lower numbers and with a totally different doctrine

It would probably be ridiculously difficult to move some of those old WWI tanks over the terrain of South America though.
Wrong, here we have a lot of terrains, from deserts to jungles... all that you can imagine you could find it here ;)... why you think that Chile have 140 Leopard 2 and Peru over 300 T-55 if we weren't able to properly use it? :rolleyes:. Ours deserts are perfect for high mobility warfare :p