• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What losses for the Union Army of the Tennessee, over 50% and down to only 16,000 men now whereas the Confederates now have around the same ammount in Tennessee. This is great news for you!

Tom has seemingly learned that if war is not honorable or glorious anymore, than there is no reason to fight... so I wonder where this is going to take him...?

200th post! (201) for this AAR!

@ Enewald: Perhaps that is one reason some to continue to fight, but war does take it's inevitable toll. But this is all part of the original story board that I'm trying to follow to the very end.

@ Erie_Patriot: Thank you! And yes staggering losses indeed for the Union. It's just unfortunate that they can replenish their numbers much more quickly and more effectively than I can...

@ Hardraade: And thus deserting will bring this story into a whole new level... or will it? :p

Believe me, Tom's head will not let him go with any single decision he'll make from here on out.

Chapter Five

Several days have went by at Clinch Mountain, there wasn't much to report outside of the usual activity of some military movements and straggling soldiers being seen every now and then. Bill was in the hands of a unknown American farming family, like so many other soldiers have been. Tom was safely tuck away in a small cabin somewhere in the mountains with his long time love, Jennifer Dawes. As the American Civil War was taking it's toll across the country, in particular Tennessee and Virginia, especially in Tennessee where several major engagements had occured, and in Virginia when Major General McClellan made the stunning move and moved some of his army under the command of Major General Irving McDowell into Staunton Virginia, where his 20,000 men occupied the Confederate town and surrounding countryside.

~ It wasn't so much new news when this reached the far off and small places in the country like Wilson Creek, Kentucky. Jeb was in his room, looking out at the brewing storm and on the street by the woods across his fields, he could see several men on horseback riding up and down the mud-slicken roads ensuring everyone would follow Evan Harris' orders. Since his arrival as the virtual petty mayor and dictator of the small Kentucky town, he has ruled the town with an iron grip. He gets what he wants and does what he wants and no one could stop him. Jeb has wondered why the law and Marshal Thomas doesn't do anything about it, the sad fact is that even though they number far less than Harris and his gunes, he was more than likely in a partnership with the man.

Jeb's father was outside in the rain, clearing a last portion of the field as the riders were keeping a careful eye out on him. Mr. Smith trugged along the mucky fields, knee-deep in mud with Mr. Carlisle beside him trying to help. It became obvious that the job at hand would be far too difficult to complete on their own. Jeb's cousin, Nathan Shephardson was asked to come help his father out, to which he graciously accepted. The young twenty-year old boy was a true rough-hand, a cowboy in the 1860's in all the sense of the word.

Mr. Smith looked behind him to see his nephew coming in on horseback, he was first taken in by the riders until Mr. Smith was able to convince them that he was helping him on this god awful day.

"It's good to see you again Nate," said Mr. Smith to his nephew.

"Well uncle Bill, I thought I needed some of the extra money. Where's Tom and Bill? Shouldn't they be helping you?"

"They're no longer with me."

"You've got to... they're in the war then?"

"Yes, I haven't heard from either in some time now."

"Did you hear about the battle at Clinch? The Union Army was completely shattered and is in retreat towards Kentucky. And at Staunton, Virginia; the Union have seized the opportunities there and occupied the town."

"Is that so."

"Yeah," said Nate.

"Nate, I would like you to meet my good friend Mr. Carlisle."

"How do you do," says Nate as he holds out his hand in the rain to shake Mr. Carlisle's.

"Fine thank you," he says in return. "Quite a fine nephew you have here," he then comments to Mr. Smith.

Nate helped with the work quickly and was welcome to stay with the Smiths' for as long as he would like and would be needed. His uncle wanted him to stay at least another week or two so he could help with the work in the field and for the winter. Nate packed in and would stay in Bill's old room, where he was greeted by a swarm of the Smith children, several he hadn't seen before as they were so young and he'd haven't been to visit in five years.

~ Clinch Mountain, Tennessee.

Tom was looking outside and saw a calm and peaceful day before him. He looked back at Jennifer who was holding a bag for him to carry.

"Are you sure you don't want to come?" he asked her.

"I'm sorry Tom, I must be movin' on too. But my path isn't on yours."

"But we could come back home together, put this war behind us; raise a family like we've always dreamed."

"And what about your brother?" she asked him.

"He's always been the stronger, he's probably with his old comrades once again. No reason to fear for him."

"Tom," Jennifer said quietly, "My Aunt Lorrie doesn't live far from here, we could head over there on the other side of the mountain and not need to worry about anything."

"I need to get back home," he said, "my parents are probably worried and are my brothers and sisters. I ask you to come with me."

Jennifer leaned over to him, passionatley kissing him on the lips and moving back, a tear in her eye, "Come back to Clinch Mountain."

life's not too shabby for the brothers at the moment then, while their comrades are risking their lives in the field :p

The Union are in Virginia and Tom is ready to desert, just look at all the possibilities of where this can go now...

Certainly a very intriguing point in the narrative. Hopefully volksmarschall won't keep us waiting too long for the next installment.

@ Enewald: Or are they...? Home isn't always home, especially when it's run by the evils of Evan Harris.

@ Hardraade: Desertion is just as good for a man, and even better for the storyboard, I think. Sadly there's not much more action in the West until 1862, the rest of the war is being fought in Virginia...

@ BritishImperial: Lol! As the brothers are away and safe, their friends will play the deadly game of WAR. Maybe, they shouldn't tell their friends this... may cause some troubles.

@ Erie_Patriot: That's the idea, this leaves with the notion of what will or might happen next. I don't just want to write a purely war/battle narrative here, it would get boring I think after some time.

@ Hardraade (2): I won't, the next update is filled with even more possibilities...

Chapter Five

As Tom kissed Jennifer good-bye, both parted ways as Tom began walking north and Jennifer stayed looking from the cabin. Tom turned back several times looking at her when finally the two turned from the positions and ran towards one another like in any love story or movie during their last moments together.

"Jennifer I'm sorry, I don't want to feel like I don't care for you..."

Jennifer kissed Tom and said, "Nonsense. I'm the one who should be apologizing."

"The woman never apologizes to the man," Tom said as he lifted her up in the air. "Are you sure you don't want to come home with me?"

"Tom, perhaps we'll see each other again sometime, but right now I must say no."

"I won't forget about you this time Jennifer, I promise."

"Go! Go now, before it's too late," she said as she let go of his hand. Tom began walking once more, looking at her and nodding in acknowledgement. Both had tears in their eyes, and Jennifer turned awry to so she wouldn't think to much on what she saw. Tom then turned about, walking slowly through the woods until he couldn't be seen anymore.

Tom was packing with him just his bag, with enough food for maybe a week, a knife and a pistol with four shots in it. He was dressed not in his uniform but in ideal clothing for a Northern man or Southern man. He was walking quickly and quietly across the rolling hills and woods, looking to find the main road that would take him back north. He wasn't quite sure what day or month it was, but he knew it was late Fall, and winter would soon be upon them. He looked around and took a stop underneath a large willow tree. He unpacked his bag and took out a small piece of bread and his canteen, beginning to eat there as he looked out into the wild.

Something just as sudden caught his attention; smoke was coming from the horizon. Not smoke from battle, but smoke from civilization, a home was nearby. Tom placed everything back into his bag, pulled out his pistol and checked to make sure the gun was loaded. He pulled himself up and began walking towards the sign of smoke. After several minutes he arrived on the top of a ridge and looked down to see a small farming house down below, it reminded him so much of home. He quietly approached it so he wouldn't draw attention to himself. At the stables, the animals inside started to make some noise, enough so to cause a little ruckus in the house. From inside, he could he a voice talking to someone and then the front door opened.

"Okay guys," the man said, "I know you're hungry," he finished with his head down and walking towards the stables. Tom got a quick glance on him and appeared from the side of the stables, frightening the man. "Who the hell are you? Hun, get the rifle! Please sir, don't hurt an unarmed man!"

"I mean no danger," Tom quickly said.

"Who are you, a Unionist? Please, I have no quarrel with you," he said as he backed up looking for something to grab. That's when his son appeared out of the front door with a double-barrel shotgun in his hands.

"Pa, pa duck!" his son yelled as his pa dropped to the ground. Tom saw a little kid with a massive gun in his hands pointing straight at him.

"Holy..." Tom said as he dove to the ground. The little boy shot the gun, the kickback was so severe that the boy was knocked backwards. The loud noise filled the air, but no one was hit. Then the wife came out with a knife and Tom looked at the gravity of the situation.

"Please, I mean no wrong," he said and dropped his pistol to the dirt and put his arms in the air. "Really, I just want to ask you guys a few questions."

From inside another voice, a sickly voice cried out, "Who's out there Mr. Lawrence?"

"Nothing Bill," the man replied, "just some mistacommunication," he said as he too got up from the ground. "Hold that gun Miles," he said to his son. The man made a gesture for his wife to go back inside. Tom was a little shocked and amazed at what had happened, but the name caught his up most attention.

"Sir...," he said,

"I'm sorry son, you shouldn't startle peoples like thats, especially whens you gotta gun."

"I'm sorry sir," Tom said.

"So what do you needs son," the man said as he asked his son to come over. "I hope my little boy over here didn't scare the bejesus outta you."

Tom smiled and laughed, "You said there's another man inside, Bill?"

"Yeah," said the man, "why you know one?"

"Yeh," said Tom, "I have a brother named Bill. I know he was involved in the battle that happened about a week ago here. Do you know anything about that? If you don't mind I would like to go inside and see for myself."

"Well of course stranger, but may I ask you who you are?"

"Tom Smith, Union Army private."

"I knew it pa," said the man's son, "now we have a Union and Confederate on oursa property."

"Well come on," said the man as he led his son and Tom back into the house. "Hun, we have a visitor. Tom Smith, Union Army," finished the man. "He wants to see our wounded friend."

The group marched into the room where Bill was, sickly and just laying on the couch, coughing and sneezing pretty badly. Tom took a good hard look at the man, "Bill?" he said, "is that you?"

Bill looked up at him, "Tom," he said with a smile and rolled off the couch. Tom looked at him, ran over and helped him back up to the couch, he knew that Bill was in bad condition.

"Has he seen a doctor?"

"I'm sorry there's notta doctor around here for about ten or twelve miles. We healed him up pretty good but he complains about chest problems, I don't know what else to do other than hope he gets better," said the man.

"He'd deathly sick," said Tom. "And he's my brother," he finished to shock the entire home.

aww, brothers reunited. lets hope they manage to stay together from now on.

And again, I was a month away from these forums and now every AAR which I catched up last time, I have to catch up them again... So, I'll start from yours because it's so great :).

@ BritishImperial: That would be too much of a happy ending now wouldn't it good sir? Knowing your comments very well, you seem to know what I'm planning on writing some times... will this be the same? :p

@ Erie_Patriot: Well certainly, if a little boy shot and missed being flung back because of it, well, I would laugh too! :rofl:

@ Hardraade: Tom knows some medicine in his head, something that the family couldn't provide unfortunatley. Tom will make an important decision soon, that he'll have to live with for the rest of his life if it goes wrong...

@ Enewald: But which will rule supreme in the end? Perhaps none... :eek:

@ Auray: Great to hear from you once more and thanks! I'm glad you think highly of this AAR. There's nothing better for an author to hear people say that they *actually* like the work! :)

Chapter Five

Tom knew that Bill was in a tough situation, he paused and looked at the people around him.

"Is there something wrong?" the man asked Tom who nervously looked around for anything, but at the same time looking for particularly nothing. Tom promptly said 'no' and continued searching the farmhouse. He looked outside the window and turned about to the family beside him.

"Where is the doctor's?" he asked the man.

The farming man looked at him with some shock and repeated, "The doctor? Ummm, well, if you go to the west or left of the fork in the road several miles down that's where he is. But I wouldn't..."

"Nonesense, he's gonna die if he doesn't getta treatment from a professional doctor. No offense to you fine people, I thank you." Tom said, looking at his brother who was pale white with a bubbly face, looking like he was a toad or frog that had just been painted white and given death pills. "To the west?" he asked once more.

"Yeah," answered the farmer, "Miles, get this fine man some water and my old musket."

"That won't be necessary sir, but thanks anyway," Tom said causing Miles to stop in the hallway of the kitchen and come back to his family. "If you could just help me bring him outside so I could carry him to the doctor..."

"That won't be necessary," said the farmer. "I'll give you one of my best horses to reach town within two days," he finished and led Tom outside. He told his son and wife to stay inside with Bill, while he and Tom rushed out to the stable too look at the horses he had. The farmer pulled up to a bright black stallion, petting her on her nose and spoke, "Her name is Rose," he said, "she's my best and most trustworthy horse. She may not be the quickest, but she'll get the job done and won't fight with the owner. God speed my dear lad," finished the farmer. He began to take the horse out of her stables and Tom went back into the house and took Bill by the arms with the help of the farmer's son. Together, they hoisted Bill onto Tom's shoulder's and he began to walk outside where the farmer was leading his horse.

Tom walked out with his brother and placed him gently on the top of the horse, guiding him in so he wouldn't fall. Tom looked at the farmer, who looked at his son and wife, then looked back at Tom. "Thank you," Tom said as he mounted the horse, nodding his head in acknowledgement.

"I'll pray you have a safe journey to the town, but beware..."

"Beware of what?" Tom asked the man.

"Just make sure your pistol is loaded because the Mallott Gang runs the streets, staunch Confederate rebels who are harrassing any Union supporters. They've already killed three men in the town, they'll not stop at nothin' to get their hands on a Union soldier," the farmer said.

"I'll take it to heart," said Tom as he kicked the side of the mighty stallion and began to waltz off into the distance. He looked back at the family and said one last 'thanks' before disappearing from the sight of the family.

Back at the farmhouse, the farmer and his family walked over to him. The sun was beginning to fade from the ridge, a sunset was in perfect bloom. His son walked over and tugged on his father's trousers, "Will he make it?" he concernly asked his father. His father turned and looked down at his son.

"I don't know. He has our prayers, and the prayers of his family I must say. But that isn't good enough. He has only saints and angels looking over him," the farmer said to his son. His son looked at him and smiled, he said something to his father that made him smile as well.

Beyond the ridge, Tom looked back and saw the smoke coming from the chimney of the house. He turned back and looked straight forward and followed the small dirt road, Bill in a secure position so he wouldn't fall when riding to the town so the doctor could check him. Tom had a concern face on as he knew something was bad, he thought Bill would have consumption or the white plague. He rode off, leaving his past deeds behind him, he neither cared his brother was a Confederate, or he a Federalist, the only thing on his mind was to ensure that his brother would be fine.

Tom rode, reaching the fork that the man had mentioned some time back. He paused and looked at the tree in the middle; there was no riddle. He was unsure of what the man told him, should he go left or right. He kicked Rose forward and steered her to the right, pausing quickly and looking back to the left. He then moved the horse back to the left, shaking his head knowing he was now making the right decision. As he did, in the woods nearby a shadowy figure was looking at Tom.

The man's face couldn't be seen as he placed a cigar in his mouth and lit it with a match. His long golden hair covered his eyes, his old and crippled brown jacket over his body, his only clothes as it appeared. He looked at Tom, he then moved his free hand into his pocket and pulled out a pocket watch that was broken. He removed the cigar from his mouth, releasing the smoke into the air. He placed the watch back into his pocket and felt the butt of his pistol, he smiled and kicked his horse back beginning to follow him as he moved down the road...

maninwoods.jpg

I have now catched up the others and I must say, few nice twists there! And of course, excellent writing as always!