• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why not Nuremberg trials, just like in OTL? Nuremberg (Nürnberg as we Germans say it) may be a radiated heap of rubble but wouldn't that actually make an excellent stage for a trial of the "war-mongering plutocrats who threw Europe into ruins"? Have the Germans and their limitles labourers build an oppressive looking 30-story court building with a simple, undecorated concrete facade, and hold the trials there.

Nuremberg also has some historical significance, it was one of the major cities of the medieval Holy Roman Empire and the Nazis may want to reinforce their view that Germany is going to be to the brave new Europe what the Holy Roman Empire was to the medieval and renaissance Europe... biggest state, stretching far and wide, its leader seeing himself as the head of Christendom and highest ranking Christian monarch. The Nazis may want to play on this significance.

Alternatively they can hold the trial in Münster, if they want to make it look more like a first step for lasting peace in Europe (Münster was where the peace was signed that ended the 30 years war)

One of Germany's few undamaged cities: Hamburg. If you made that the capital it would work even better. That way, depending on the sentence they could be publicly hanged (There is an island somewhere in the port that could be seen from all over the city) and if put in prison; they could be shipped to a high end security complex on the isle of man.

I don't think Hamburg as a capital is that likely. It was already discussed earlier in the thread and the most likely location if the government should indeed be moved would be either Frankfurt or Nuremberg, as they are historically much more connected with the German Empire.

Regarding the location of such trials, holding the trials in Nuremberg at the ceremonial birthplace of the Nazi party was intended to symbolize the definite defeat of Nazi ideology.

So in return the trials against the Allies probably should also be staged in an equally symbolic city for the Allies. Perhaps Paris, the City of Light and the revolution?
Another symbolic choice could be at the location of the first atomic bombings of the war (was it Rimini?) as a direct reminder of allied war crimes and that the blame for the following nuclear exchange rests on their shoulders entirely. Or perhaps Moscow, since that city was the victim of the most senseless and cruel allied war crime.

PS: I wouldn't choose Danzig since symbolically that would only draw the eyes towards the fact that Germany started the war with territorial expansion in mind and the Allies only defended themselves.

Last edited:
So far, these are the ideas. Tomorrow when I get off work, I will make my decision and include it in the news post.

Hamburg: German industrial city, relatively light war damage
Stalingrad: Soviet symbolic city, next to no war damage.
Strasbourg: French city (though devastated by several years of war)
Danzig: The city that started it all. A possibly symbolic close to the war?
Southampton: British city, though with the current state of Britain (starvation, ruined cities and civil works, riots, ect.) it may not be such an ideal location.
Paris: Symbolic city for the Allies. Perhaps Paris, the City of Light and the revolution?
Nürnberg: It was one of the major cities of the medieval Holy Roman Empire and the Nazis may want to reinforce their view that Germany is going to be to the brave new Europe what the Holy Roman Empire was to the medieval and renaissance Europe... biggest state, stretching far and wide, its leader seeing himself as the head of Christendom and highest ranking Christian monarch. The Nazis may want to play on this significance.
Versailles: Relatively un war-torn, as far as western Europe goes, and it gives a chance for the criminals of WW1 to be made to pay for their crimes, at the scene of the crime.
Moscow: The victim of the most senseless and cruel allied war crime.
Rimini: The site of the first nuclear attack.
Münster: To make it look more like a first step for lasting peace in Europe (Münster was where the peace was signed that ended the 30 years war)

Versailles smacks of 'justice' from a German point of view.

The Hague or Geneva would also be great locations. Keep in mind this is an event staged mostly as a PR exercise teaching Europe the new tune of German hegemony so it should be in a location where people from the "important" countries can attend without 11 hour flights or 7 day train journeys.

I think I am leaning towards Versailles because reasons similar to Saithis's. I am not sure yet, but I will be posting an update within the next few hours. I might make my decision for the update after if I cannot make up my mind.

CBC World News – July 21st, 1954

July 21st, 1954

CBC World News

"The world today. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation now presents a summary of the all the important world news today. Reports from CBC correspondents by trans-America short wave radio, and the latest developments as received by the Canada's news room here in Ottawa. Tonight we will be reporting on the latest military events from the United States and abroad via our correspondents in Chicago and Ottawa."

"Good evening Canada, this is your host Tommy Forever speaking. The Asian-Pacific theaters of the eastern conflicts have seen alot of military action recently, as the Soviets advance on China and Australia pushes the British lines back."

"The Soviet Red Army has seen stunning successes in several key regions across the entire Chinese front. From breakthroughs in the Chengdu region to a push into Jinan which opens the way to Najing, their task only seems to be getting easier. China, whose military resources are stretched thin, cannot seem to put forth ant reserves to counter the recent Soviet attacks. Rumors are rampant of a possible evacuation of the government centers at the capital of Nanjing, where news continues to be nothing but of retreat and disaster. The Japanese invasion of Manchuria has reversed, and Japanese forces are withdrawing towards the coast. The new Soviet initiative appears to be working, and it seems that China and Japan will have a rough road ahead of them if they are to avert disaster."

"In Australia, Australian forces have encircled three British divisions at Blackall, having taken the British rearguard areas at Mount Isa and Hughenden. British forces are now on the retreat, hoping to form a defensive line they can hold till reinforcements arrive. Vichy France has pledged three divisions to the British force in Australia, hoping to improve the strained relations between these Axis members. Germany, on the other hand, has said it will only provide support aircraft, as its soldiers are needed at home to keep order intact, help in reconstruction of the war-torn western areas, as well as support the agricultural development in German-Ukraine regions to ease the pressure of food shortages this year."

"Canada and the United States have finalized deals on the sale of Alaska to Canada. In support for opening the border to volunteers wishing to fight in the civil war, Canada has pledged military supplies, armaments, and aircraft to help the United States war effort. The estimated worth of this deal to the US is about $22 million. This move was seen as a hostile act by both the Confederacy and Texas, but California refused to comment. It is widely believed that California has been helping volunteers get across the vast British Columbian border to aid in their cause. The border has already seen a large spike in volunteers crossing south, as former British and Spanish soldiers aid the country that answered the call at their time of need."

ScreenSave11.jpg

ScreenSave12.jpg

ScreenSave13.jpg

ScreenSave14.jpg

**I guess next update I choose where the trials take place.**

Would the influx of volunteers necessitate events that give you more divisions?

Me and California get a couple extra infantry divisions at first, and then maybe another one every 8 months or so.

Australia is holding out pretty well. Most of their island has only garrisons on it, and they keep destroying British divisions. China, on the other hand, I don't think they are doing to good.

CBC World News – August 12th, 1954

August 12th, 1954

CBC World News

"The world today. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation now presents a summary of the all the important world news today. Reports from CBC correspondents by trans-America short wave radio, and the latest developments as received by the Canada's news room here in Ottawa. Tonight we will be reporting on the latest military events from the United States and abroad via our correspondents in Chicago and Ottawa."

"Good evening Canada, this is your host Tommy Forever speaking. Today we will be bringing news of the latest American attacks against California, and the continued advances made by Australia against the British forces there. In addition to the military news, we have the first official reports on the War Crime trials that are to be taking place next year."

"Australia has made significant progress against the British forces that have been occupying northern Australia. Despite their army having been depleted by fifteen consecutive years of constant war, they have been able to scrounge up men to fight off the foreign invaders. The remaining forces of the three British divisions in Blackall have been captured after suffering nearly three weeks of bitter pocket warfare. With their forces on the defensive, Britain is eagerly awaiting the deployment of the divisions France promised them."

"Seattle, just south of British Columbia, has been taken by US forces in their efforts to defeat the Californian armies along the Rocky Mountain range. The capture of Seattle eases the supply lines to US forces on the Pacific Islands, which will no doubt make their transfer to the Continental US much easier. Californian forces attempted to retake the coastal port, but their efforts were in vain and were forces to withdraw south. This risky move by the US leaves a long and vulnerable front wide open to flanking attacks, and it has yet to be seen if the effort was worth the risk."

"The Trial for Allied War Criminals is set to take place in the city of Versailles at the end of next summer in 1955. Preparations are currently underway in the city to beef up security at local prison facilities to ensure that those convicted remain safe from the general public. As it stands, the accused are being detained at an undisclosed location for their safety. Among the accused are former Prime Minister Winston Churchill, British Field Marshals Montgomery and Wavell, as well as American Generals Patton, Krueger, and MacArthur. Several other government officials and resistance leaders from France including Charles de Gaulle. The main accusations are as followed:"

"One: Participation in a common plan or conspiracy for the accomplishment of crime against peace."
"Two: Planning, initiating and waging wars of aggression and other crimes against peace."
"Three: War crimes."
"Four: Crimes against humanity."

"For those committing acts of terror and violence against governing police forces, a separate series of trials will be held. The German government wishes to express that it is still on the hunt for many high level fugitives, and information leading to their capture would be rewarded monetarily."

ScreenSave18.jpg

ScreenSave21.jpg

**So I decided on which one I liked best. I know I would not be able to please everyone, so hopefully this is a rational choice :). You guys are a great audience, I like how you guys are willing to contribute to decision making!"

Last edited:
Good God, in some ways this thread is horribly depressing. The idea of famous Allied heroes being put on trial while the United States collapses into civil war feels like a punch in the gut.

Also, when Cools surrendered, I spent a few minutes thinking that this HAD to be a joke of some sort, right?

Jeesh. Still, it's a lot more interesting to see things from the side of the losers. Novel, at least! Damn good show!

Side note: You know what would be fun? The Fallout 3 intro adapted for DMLL. Instead of music, the radio blares Liberty Radio's speech, but as the camera pans out, we see the nuclear wasteland of Washington DC with the remnants of an American flag draped over the bus, while in the background the distant boom of artillery and the chatter of machinegun fire roars...

No, Cool's Texas seems to have relatively recovered if you look at the world news from July 21st. Only his grip on his coastal provinces is still shaky.

All rebel states are still looking strong, even though California seems to have lost its northern troops.

@Firestorm: Well, since Versailles is a suburb of Paris, you managed to choose several suggestions at once. Good work. :)

Looks like the Hall of Mirrors in the palace of Versailles is going to wittness another example of the conqueror's special kind of justice.

Good job on cool's Texas from recovering from the jaws of defeat. Although it seems like he has alot of divisions, where is the MP coming from? Dosent Texas have .11 a day?

At outbreak of civil war I gave all breakaway nations something like 6 divisions to play with. Alot of his divisions are militia, as I am told.

Tomn_Peng: Yeah, a tad depressing isn't it? And by the way, I have a video in the works (painstakingly slow progress due to lack of time) for this AAR. And I think you just gave me a brilliant idea. With work over and school starting again on Friday, I should have more time to work on this AAR and my video.

@Austria-Hungary: Yeah, it managed to survive. I mainly use my fleets to interdict trade to the breakaway states.

@Firestorm: Well, since Versailles is a suburb of Paris, you managed to choose several suggestions at once. Good work.

Looks like the Hall of Mirrors in the palace of Versailles is going to wittness another example of the conqueror's special kind of justice.

Ah, yes, that seems to be pretty good then, I didn't know that.

Last edited:
With the world in that situation, "Vichy France" sounds strange. Time to call them "France"?

Now get those boys rolling down the west coast!