• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Based on a population map I had seen, it had a significant Portuguese population there. As they were one of the original Axis members, they were entitled to some territory gain.

That's wrong. Where do you find that map? Galician people are... Galician. Yes, the Galician language is a mix of Spanish and Portuguese, but nothing more.

It would be better if you create a Portuguese-controlled Iberia.

My two cents (sorry for the crappy Paint editing, btw):

Italy gets back it's gain from France, Malta, Kosovo (they administered the region during WW2, if I remember correctly). They also get some of the Aegean islands. Greece and Croatia should probably be their puppets. Tunisia, Lybia and Egypt should also be theirs, either directly or ruled as puppets.

Hungary is allowed to annex Slovakia (which was part of the Kingdom of Hungary for centuries) as compensation for their war effort.

Croatia gets Osijek (which has allways been croatian), plus Bosnia, as they did in OTL.

Romania gets Odessa and some more land from the Ukraine (If I recall correctly, those areas where handed to them in OTL, but I'm not 100% sure)

Bulgaria gets Thessaloníki as a reward for their effort.

Turkey gets Cyprus with it's large turkish minority, plus some islands in the Aegean. Maybe they could be allowed to puppet Syria? Which reminds me, maybe you could consider creating Greater Syria (Syria + Lebanon).

Scandinavia should probably annex Finland, there's hardly anything they can do about it, being completely surrounded by the Axis. They could also get Iceland. Regarding Denmark, I'd say you should keep it, if only for strategic reasons.

Regarding the Iberian peninsula, Gibraltar should not be Spanish under any circumstance. Either Germany gets it, or Italy. I'm not sure about Galicia, so I refrain from recommending anything.

Finally, Germany's war gains. First, they get Slovenia, with it's relatively important german minority. As Lebensraum, they get pre-war Poland and the Baltics (which are probably full of germans right now, after being evacuated during your invasion of Germany), leaving a rump Belarus and Ukraine as puppets. I notice you expanded the Baltics a bit to the east. I say those lands should be given to the new Russian state, if only to make the border look prettier.

Hope that helps! Keep up with this awesome AAR!

Okay so how would a peace look like...?

This could be a mild version of a Nazi dominated Pax Germania, which does not want to pursue Hitler's dream of German settlement in eastern Europe, except for a "vacation colony" on the Crimea:

This would be a harsh version, which pursues Hitler's dreams of settlement in eastern Europe.
Poland is not actually Poland but the General Gouvernement. Kinda like a lawless labor camp where the natives are forced at gunpoint to work in German munitions factories and starvation is widespread.
"Reichskommissariat Ostland", "Reichskommissariat Ukraine", and "Reichskommisariat Muscovy" are German colonies for settlement and exploitation.
"Reichskommisariat Kaukasien" is under loose German control, the local nationalities more or less left alone, being regarded as too uncivilized and too warlike to be turned into serfs or industrial peons.
Italy has been given Greece as its own colony. Croatia is an Italian puppet, Serbia a German puppet.

Romania gets Odessa and some more land from the Ukraine (If I recall correctly, those areas where handed to them in OTL, but I'm not 100% sure)

They were handed to Romanian occupation because the Germans did not want the bother, although the Romanians did not actually plan to hold on to them after the war. They were -like Finland- concerned about not making themselves into total Nazis themselves, and their occupation was fairly lenient.

It should be noted that my post is considering things mostly "in-universe" and not taking into account game mechanics.

My thought is that Germany is unlikely to give up Eastern lands. Given that the German heartland has been either nuked, or fought over somewhere between 6 to 3 times it's in utter ruins and some areas may in fact be unfit for the support of German life. Keep in mind as well that Nazi plans post war were for the colonization and Germanification of the east. Given that French and other Western lands may in fact be in worse shape, all the prime real estate is in the East or the Balkans, where there was no nuclear exchange nor much land warfare in the recent years.

To that end, I suggest that Poland, the Baltics and Belarus be absorbed directly into the Reich. Russia's existence while counter to most recovered post war plans is vital now as a puppet buffer state between a rebuilding Germany and the now rampant Asian Soviet Union. With the exception of Moscow Russia is mainly untouched, it should be militarized and stood up as a German run garrison state to defend Europe from eastern invasion.

Spain as one of the resisting allied powers should be stripped of it's African possessions and maybe even put under military occupational for a set time. De-Allification will be necessary in France, Spain and Norway. Give the former Spanish lands to Britain (the fucking turncoat bastards) and to Italy. France as well should lose land to Italy and the new Dutch power, perhaps even to Germany, although it would be of little worth to the Reich.

Loyal Axis members, such as Hungry and Italy should be rewarded, I would point out if not for their troops, Germany could well have fallen to Allied Armies in the late 40s. To that end Italy should be allowed control over former French lands in the Middle East and Africa, as well as control over Greece. Hungry should be made the dominant power in Central Europe, mostly at allied Romania's expense.

Italy should take control of Greece, Egypt remains British due to their treachery. Ceeding Georgia (which is I remind you the homeland of Stalin) to Turkey may be a good idea as well.

I'm not joining this debate as it will just not be resolved, the internet has been proven to be a place were inteligent disussion comes to die.

however I would like to see the ukraine loose the eastrenmost provinces to poland and romania and gain all the russian lands to the don and the province of kursk.

I'm not joining this debate as it will just not be resolved, the internet has been proven to be a place were inteligent disussion comes to die.

I asked for this debate to see what people with more knowledge then I think what the borders should be. So far, what I have seen are people with many good reasons, which is exactly what I wanted. I can see many places where people agree upon.

Personally, I like Merlowe's the best so far. With some changes to the Mediterranean, it incorporates many of the changes I plan to put in.

Europe19532.jpg

frigidmagi is correct on a lot of his points, so I am going to take some from him too. I will post a modified (in paint of course) picture of what I think the borders should look like. I'm going to extend Turkey into the Caucuses (good idea guys? they are a long-time Axis member) and transfer a lot of Africa to Italy. Greece > Italy and Bulgaria, and Romania gaining some Ukraine land while losing a province or two to Hungary still.

edit: Balkans was a typo. I meant Caucuses.

Last edited:
Germany had so many allies during this war and depended so heavily on them that after everyone of them got some rewards for their contribution, there probably wouldn't be any neutral state left. :D

So, lets try to sort it out:
Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Italy an Turkey were all important allies. They can rightfully demand to be included in the distribution of the spoils of war. :cool:
Portugal was another ally, but the whole Portuguese entry was such a poor decision that it resulted in a quick annexation. They have the dubious honor of being the only european nation the German AI couldn't protect from the Allies. :rofl: No reward here for such a poor token showing.
Croatia and Slovakia were puppets but still fought it out, so they should be rewarded with independence.
Was Ireland also in the axis? Well, they have Northern Ireland anyway.

The list of German enemies includes France, Spain, Serbia, Greece, Poland, Norway, the UK and Russia, of course. Finland switched sides and betrayed Germany to the Sovjets. A really unwise move. These states will have to fear for their existence now. :(

Sweden: They got Scandinavia and are probably the big winners of this war. The AAR seems to imply that Sweden in-universe also really won this on its accord and not because the German AI did stick up really well for its ally. A new Nazi-approved superpower in the making? :eek: Well, I think they should also get Denmark (with the exception of Kolding, which "belonged" to Germany prior to the First World War), as well as their former colonies of Iceland and Greenland.
They could also absorb or puppet the traitorous Finnish.

Turkey: While I don't remember ever reading about any Turkish contribution during the war, they likely will have ambitions on restoring their empire after being victorious. They'll perhaps want to absorb Cyprus, Syria, Georgia, Lebanon, Iraq, etc. Turkey also would like to get its hands on Greece, which could be divided up between them and Italy.

Italy: Should get back Rhodes, the other Greek islands it owned and its French gains. They'll also still want to found their mediterrean empire, so they'll probably claim most islands like Malta, Crete, Corsica and perhaps even the Baleares. Their leaership will also be the axis nation which is the most interested in African expansions.

Finland: They lost the war three times, twice against Russia and once against Germany, yet astonishingly still gained territory out of Bitter Peace. :D Plus, they backstabbed Germany. Their holdings should be reduced to pre-war levels at the very least, they certainly shouldn't own the port of Murmansk and their independence is questionable.

France: Some French are still fighting in Africa against Germany, that should count against them. Perhaps Flandern/Wallonia should get some of the border provinces, Italy should receive its claims in the South an Corsica and one major naval base on the Atlantic coast and one on the mediterrean could perhaps be handed over to German control. France is also the only oppurtunity if Switzerland is to gain any territory.

Spain: Could perhaps be broken up. There are a lot of secessionist regions in Spain. The Basque for example would also take some French territory with them.

Serbia: That rebellious nation would likely be divided up entirely by its neighbours.

As to Germany itself, that's a really difficult question. Just about every claim for border-changes can be made and even backed up by some historic facts (although I'm of course no expert in this matter. As usual in historic debates by laymen, the number of factual errors in my statements may well exceed the number of words used ;) ).

Regarding Germany:
- the Baltic has former history of being under German control for a long time during the middle ages (Teutonic Knights). Many natives there might be loosely related to German people and accustomed with their culture. With the historic precedent, occupying that place may be the most peaceful route. This option perhaps also sits very well with the Germans themselves since they would still be living close (especially in terms of transportation via sea) to the heart of the Reich (Prussia).
-Poland would not be allowed into independence again for fear of revenge. The Polish people might once again be pushed around on the map as it was done by Stalin after the historic WW2 and be expelled further east into Belarus. That territory is perhaps the one which is most likely to be colonized by Germans.
-As has been said, Belarus isn't exactly the most idyllic place on earth. Most Germans, accustomed to living in a mild and moderate oceanic climate on orderly farmland which has been cultivated by men for thousands of years, would be extremely shocked if they were confronted with the inhospitable ground their troops conquered on their behalf and which they now are supposed to tame and farm. :rofl:
So that place would probably be left alone very soon. On the other hand, it is the most artificial of all the east european states and was never previously united in any form as a nation (I'm not sure if that is correct, though). So resistance against the Germans here may be very low.
-the Ukraine was considered to be Russia's breadbasket and may be a tempting goal for colonization. However, it is also very remote from German heartland and the population there would be fiercely hostile. Also, if Germany would grant Ukraine its independence, it could win a very loyal ally in the far East to hold down the Russians. The population of the Ukraine was most enthusiastic about escaping Sovjet rule and the quickest in forming a collaboration government for the Nazis - which was historically crushed just as quickly by a reliably lunatic Hitler. :wacko:
-another option is the entire Donau region, were many Germans had settled throughout the centuries in a planned integration program during the time of Austria-Hungary. There were significant German settlements troughout the entire region, all in all over one million people which are already there and could help the renewed German colonisation-efforts. Now, the nations here were all allies of Germany during the war apart from Serbia, but that wouldn't prevent them from being occupied if such a move was perceived as necessary - just as Germany occupied Hungary and Italy at the end of the historical war to keep them on their side.
-keeping control of and colonising the entire european part of Russia is entirely out of question. Any German ambition towards that goal was pure delusion. There just wouldn't be enough troops, especically after the nuclear war, to prevent the Russians from organising an uprising and protect all German settlers at the same time. So the formation of an independent Russia which only pays the minimum amount of lip-service to Berlin and serves as a buffer state is practically a given.

As to which if any of those options is feasible - who knows? :wacko:

I asked for this debate to see what people with more knowledge then I think what the borders should be. So far, what I have seen are people with many good reasons, which is exactly what I wanted. I can see many places where people agree upon.

Personally, I like Merlowe's the best so far. With some changes to the Mediterranean, it incorporates many of the changes I plan to put in.

Europe19532.jpg

frigidmagi is correct on a lot of his points, so I am going to take some from him too. I will post a modified (in paint of course) picture of what I think the borders should look like. I'm going to extend Turkey into the Balkans (good idea guys? they are a long-time Axis member) and transfer a lot of Africa to Italy. Greece > Italy and Bulgaria, and Romania gaining some Ukraine land while losing a province or two to Hungary still.

Yay, I'm winning.

Expanding Turkey into the Balkans would be seen as betrayal by your other Balkan satellites (Serbia, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania and the ex-Jugoslavia). I can see some expansion east into the South Caucasus regions like Armenia and Georgia or south into Syria and Iraq.

Dáin: Good post, yeah I think that the French should lose some land to the other states. I might mod in some Spanish separations though...what does everyone else think of that?

Ireland is another strange thing...I have yet to code a peace event for them. They are still at war with Allies.

Finland...I don't know how to deal with them for the time being. Maybe a future war between Comintern and Axis? Obviously from this point the AAR is going to go towards a more scripted event-based events as AI does not know what to do after WW2 is over :p

@Merlowe: D'oh!!! I meant Caucuses, not Balkans!

Independent Catalonia and Euskadi is a great way to weaken a spain it's otherwise hard to justify taking land from. The Reich would have special onus to punish them as well, as they displayed blatant opportunism in joining the war when the allies were on the continent and seemed to be winning, and worse, they have suffered lighter compared to other allied states.

An independent Galicia puppeted to Portugal could take some trouble without new nations mod, but is a good solution to the debates re: awarding portugal territory while not giving them a large nonportguese enclave.

Edit: In a similar vein, the Bretons collaborated extensively with the germans, and rewarding their nationalist movement would be an excellent way to undermine the French if you are willing to go to the trouble.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breton_nationalism_and_World_War_II#Collaboration_with_Germany

Yea, I confused Slovenia with Slovakia, sorry about that. ;)

Oh yea, so Finland was a Soviet puppet? Then Scandinavia should invade, few people tolerate commies in an extreme-right Europe now. :D

Also it might be cool, if our neutral Turkey went a bit extreme and decided to exploit the weakness of the other nations after the war. After all that neutrality Turkey should be a powerful force. So maybe if they invade Syria and Lebanon? It would be cool.

And in this situation nearly all of the colonies should be released. I'm sure all powers promised independence to their colonies if they got every drop of soldiers from them. France might be resisting with Algeria, because it is like India to them, as India was a jewel for the British. It might be hard to mod, but colonies dominated by the great powers should have high revolt risks. ;)

I must insist in a united Iberia dominated by Portugal. If you did with Sweden, why not with Portugal?

Excuse me while I butt in here, but this is my proposal. Accidently saved it as a jpeg though, so the quality is a bit screwed up.

Germany absorbs Ukraine, Belerus, Poland, and the Baltics, Russia's border is adjusted slightly.

Scand gets all of Denmark, minus Kolding (WWI lost)

I'd prefer an independent netherlands a full European size, though I believe you'd have to change the existing one to Indonesia first.

Full Size mainland Spain, but Germany gets Gibralter, the North Africa strip, with Portugal getting the rest of its African holdings (including Canary Islands)

Italy gets its Vichy holdings back and Corsica. Also takes half of Slovenia (other half going to Germany). Also gets Greek islands (including Crete) and Kosovo.

Hungary, Croatia, and Bulgaria each take a province from Serbia, reducing its size, but not killing it like yall want.

Hungary also gets Slovokia.

Turkey gets Crete, and half of Armienia, with the other half going to Oilistan (can't spell the correct name)

Malta or perhaps Crete should go to Germany as a Naval Base in the Mediterranean, after all, Germany is now going to assume Britain's former role as the 'protector' of the Suez. (which it should also receive)

Germany should get Belorus,Ukraine,Baltics for historical as well as Game play reasons.

With the Fatherland in ruins Germany should be getting manpower from that section from the east as this Germany would obviously be ran by a very different Hitler. Who wold likely be treating the people nice now that there was other puppet states enjoying limited freedom.

Lebensraum was found, the people would have accepted it.

Malta or perhaps Crete should go to Germany as a Naval Base in the Mediterranean, after all, Germany is now going to assume Britain's former role as the 'protector' of the Suez. (which it should also receive)

I'm sure Mussolini or Turkey will be glad to sign a generous 99 year naval access agreement for bases in Greece, or on Crete...

BTW Crete and Cyprus to Turkey is a wonderful idea! Totally agree here.