+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 203 FirstFirst ... 21 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 71 96 121 146 ... LastLast

Thread: Democracy's Last Legs: A US - UK DAIM AAR

As annoying as Germany still is, perhaps you could focus on getting ICBM's and planting a nuke on Sverdlovsk and some other key Soviet centers. Germany will fall in time, so I'd say your biggest long-term concern is keeping the Soviets from becoming a juggernaut.

Amazing AAR. I think winning the Italian Front the key to victory. It will bring a lot of troops back to the primary front and open up another front in the south. Really impressed by the AI and you guys's great playing. Keep up the good work!

Defender of Democracy {LD}Firestorm's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

@nefftron: I'd rather have a Soviet Juggernaut instead of fighting a war with both Germany and Russia. If I take out Germany, I can at least hold a defensive against Russia and recover my manpower. I cannot take Russia and Germany on at the same time for much longer without risking total collapse. I'm already feeling military strain, with my manpower tapped out and my industrial base fully used on consumer goods and supplies. I truly think that if i don't make significant progress against Germany this year, I may never beat them....

@Basikisk: Thanks . I'm hoping the Italian front will bust open and we will overflow the south with mobility. The lack of mobility and claustrophobic nature up north is just frightful. I miss the days of breakthrough and envelop. This is just dreadful.

All the responses I've been getting make me happy. I enjoy answering questions and having discussion, so I will be generous and post another update tomorrow
    Democracy's Last Legs - USA / UK DAIM After-action report - Finished
    Democracy's Last Legs: Part II - USA After-action report - In progress - Last Updated (August-22-2010)
    Holdsteady suspense award:
    Lord Strange Cookie of British Excellence:
    Jambor Cookie of Gameplay Awesomeness:
    Hatuke-The "Impossible Overlord success" cookie:
    01/02/2009 Weekly AAR Showcase Winner
    Winner of the Q1 and Q4 2009 ACA 'Favorite HoI Narrative' award.
    And a link to 1964, a mod in development based off of Democracy's Last Legs! Open Alpha v1.2.0 is ready to download! As is v1.1.1 patch

Quote Originally Posted by {LD}Firestorm View Post
    **That Soviet attack is slightly concerning. Those divisions were holding mountains, which were crucial to the defense effort in the region.**
    There were also 5 axes of attack, resulting in a -30% combat modifier to the defending troops. Hyesan will only have 3 for a -10% modifier for your troops, but two of those axes are across the Yalu River, which will be a harsh penalty for the attackers. Your new line should be stronger.

phargle has reminded us to spread the word about voting in the AARland Choice Awards!

No matter what you vote for, your participation helps AARland grow and thrive.

If you're considering voting for Democracy's Last Legs: A US - UK DAIM AAR, it is eligible for the Narrative and Gameplay for the HoI1/2 category. Remember to make your decision based upon updates for the quarter in question (January 1 - April 31 of 2009).

Thank you to all who have already voted, and for those who have not, I encourage you to head on over when you get the chance.
    Democracy's Last Legs: Part II - USA After-action report - In progress - Last Updated (August-22-2010)
    And a link to 1964, a mod in development based off of Democracy's Last Legs! Open Alpha v1.2.0 is ready to download! As is v1.1.1 patch

I figured I would post that here, as I have seen a few other writers do. I don't really qualify for Comedy (I'm not a humor-based thread, unlike Storm501's 'For the MotAARland' AAR, which is worth a read when you have time.) I had to advertise his AAR here, I loved it

I give credit to TheHyphenated1 for the above post, as it was almost a direct copy of his.

@dublish: Well then, I feel safer knowing that flank is more secure now. Thanks!

Edit: I see my monthly bandwidth is rising to about 60% on photobucket, so I'm going to switch over to a new account there soon. If any picture is removed, please PM or write it here on this thread, and I will fix it right away as soon as I can.

And those wishing to see the IC figures for major combatants, they are on the last page, on my post before the newspost. I will post it again after the next newspost for those who missed it. Any other requests?
    Last edited by {LD}Firestorm; 16-04-2009 at 17:00.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Stupid Soviets...go and attack us instead of the Germans....mrmmrmrmr...

They could have been at Berlin I bet. Now those fools are stuck in a stalemate in Asia till we beat Germany. Then the Soviets will face a two-front war. War from the Urals and war from the East.
    If I remember correctly Cool decided to drop an A-bomb on Moscow, thus angering the Soviets. Instead on Berlin! Maybe that was a critical mistake?

For those wanting to know IC's of major combatants, here they are:

Germany: 320 / 184
    USA: 384 / 384
    Italy: 95 / 49
    Argentina: 93 / 49
    Soviet Union: 315 / 193
    United Kingdom: 22 / 115
    Thanks! SU is pretty strong IC wise. How's China?

You got really some cash. It could be spent on spy actions, killing some ministers etc., but in 1.2 it is a creul clickfest.
    Last edited by Biges; 16-04-2009 at 19:54.
    Nationality: Czech
    Religion: Atheist
    Ideology: Anarcho-Liberal
    Issues: Laissez Faire/Full Citizenship
    Cash Reserves: Rising
    Militancy: 4 (-0.01)
    Consciousness: 9 (+0.10)

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    ImpireIron CrossMagickaMarch of the EaglesSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Biges View Post
    If I remember correctly Cool decided to drop an A-bomb on Moscow, thus angering the Soviets. Instead on Berlin! Maybe that was a critical mistake?

Thanks! SU is pretty strong IC wise. How's China?

You got really some cash. It could be spent on spy actions, killing some ministers etc., but in 1.2 it is a creul clickfest.
    Yes, but moscow was in german hands i dont see relationship. But i agree we made a mistake in using one bomb here, and another one there. We should have used all at the same time like someone sugested.
    Regarding italian front, most of my army is down there, together with spanish troops.

Wow, I haven't ever seen so many nukes used in one game.

@Biges: Yeah, the clickfest I don't have time for. I'm too busy running around commanding so much . And we are running on slow most of the time as it is.

@Cool: I think he was kidding, I don't think he meant in the game it caused that, but it maybe angered them 'in game real life'

@ErikHenki: Yeah, no kidding!

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by TMA_Cool View Post
    Yes, but moscow was in german hands i dont see relationship. But i agree we made a mistake in using one bomb here, and another one there. We should have used all at the same time like someone sugested.
    I'm not familiar with the diplomatic consequences of using A-bombs, so I'm reflecting this older post:

"What a waste of a nuke. Why Moscow?? It is not a national, so I'm not sure if it has the same effect. Besides that, my relations with the Soviet Union have hit -200. I honestly believe it is only a matter of time before war."

Well, mistakes happen and we should learn from them
    Nationality: Czech
    Religion: Atheist
    Ideology: Anarcho-Liberal
    Issues: Laissez Faire/Full Citizenship
    Cash Reserves: Rising
    Militancy: 4 (-0.01)
    Consciousness: 9 (+0.10)

CBS World News – May 1st, 1952

May 1st, 1952

CBS World News

"The world today. The Columbia Broadcasting System now presents a summary of the all the important world news today. Reports from CBS correspondents by trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific short wave radio, and the latest developments as received by the Columbia's news room here in New York. Tonight we will be reporting on the latest military events from Europe and abroad via our correspondents in Paris."

"Good evening, and thank you for tuning in. Tonight, we will be reporting on the latest German attacks in central Germany, the recent fighting in Italy, and the war in Africa."

"German troops have pushed the Allied line over 200km along the front south of Berlin. In the large counter-attack against the Allied forces in the area, German troops have retaken the fortifications at Cottbus and Ustif, and seized the industrial city of Dresden. German air activity has been steadily increasing in this region, had has put up some stiff resistance against Allied jet aircraft. The latest German aircraft, with its speed and mobility, has inflicted rather large losses on their American counterparts. It appears that the latest air offensive by Germany is meant to coincide with the ground offensive taking place."

"In Italy, the situation has continued to favor Allied forces. The grand offensive, which saw Axis forces uprooted from southern France, has reached the Italian cit of Milan. This industrial center is one of the last defensive bastions of Italy, and is being stubbornly defended. The latest attack on Milan, which was conducted by some 1.2 million Allied troops took place in the attack, and managed to take about 60% of the city and its surrounding areas before being forced back. South east of the city, American divisions assaulted German positions south of the Po River at Ferrara, forcing the Germans to retreat. Axis armies are steadily reinforcing this area, as its collapse would unhinge the German defenses in southern Germany and lead to an Axis defeat. As the battle for Italy rages on, more and more eyes turn to the southern front and its importance to the war effort."

"In north-west Africa, Allied forces have retaken Bone after Axis armies took the region several weeks ago. Other then the minor skirmishes taking place in the region, no major military news has been reported in this area. In north-east Africa, 3 Allied divisions have been encircled by a recent attack involving motorized divisions. The speed at which these divisions moved, combined with the night-time surprise attack against positions in the area, cut off the retreating divisions. They are now being supplied by the sea, and are awaiting for British divisions to break the encirclment."

**Back and forth, back and forth. I presume I will be retaking that, once again. I wish that would just end! As for the Hungarian division in Berlin, don't bark at me about it. Its only a 12 division stack, but with my disorganized men reorganizing after the recent failed attack, I cannot take on 12 divisions + level 10 forts + urban + poor weather at the moment. A dame shame, it would be a good opportunity. I tried, not very good odds (below 50%). Yes, 1 nuke. But I'm waiting for another (either mine or Cool's) before we use it. I only have Strat bombers to deploy it on, so I want to make sure I've got clear skies first.**

Out of interest does anyone know if Britain would be habitable in any form whatsoever having been subjected to such a nuclear bombardment? I'm not sure how effective nuclear weapons were in this time frame compared to the dangers of the Cold War.
    THIS IS A SIG

The Devil's Harlot Austria Hungary's Avatar
    Darkest Hour

Some more Qs needing some As:
    -What is GB's current manpower
    -What is GB's current MP growth
    -What is MP needed for reinforcement of have you been hanging low?
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    So why, in bloody hell
    Does Makarov know you?!

I'm not familiar with the diplomatic consequences of using A-bombs, so I'm reflecting this older post:

"What a waste of a nuke. Why Moscow?? It is not a national, so I'm not sure if it has the same effect. Besides that, my relations with the Soviet Union have hit -200. I honestly believe it is only a matter of time before war."

Well, mistakes happen and we should learn from them
    WOHA, wait. Even if Germany controls the province, and is at peace with Russia, if we nuke it we get bad relations with the Soviets? Dammit!

@Jalex: I would like to know too

@Austria Hungary: GB is at 0mp, or near it. Their growth is around 0.3mp / day now I think. For my reinforcements, I need 300 - 400 mp (it fluctuates) to reinforce my armies.

Manners Makyth Man Demi Moderator Lord Strange's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

The most dangerous place to which a young man can be sent.
    Hmmmm, this timeline is creating a world of nuclear winters, millions dead, even more ravaged Europe.... I mean only Australia is safe these days.....
    Founder of the Lord Strange School of Thought

If I'm speaking in Gold, it means I'm speaking in my capacity as a Demi-Mod.
    Any other colour, it's your choice whether to pay attention or not

For the cities which were formerly great have most of them become insignificant; and such as are at present powerful, were weak in the olden time. I shall therefore discourse equally of both, convinced that human happiness never continues long in one stay.
    Herodotus of Halicarnassus

"Why are so many rowers atheists? Because anyone who has done a 2K knows that there is no god."

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaSemper FiVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club

"C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre"

AARS:
    For the fern! Part Deux A New ZealandAAR Newly Updated! 10/5/10
    Land of the Long Red Cloud, A narrative New Zealand AAR Newly Updated 17/9/10
    Rebirth of an empire, A 1936 AAR Great Britain reclaims her spot at the top of the world! (Abandoned)

Crusader Kings II500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Jalex View Post
    Out of interest does anyone know if Britain would be habitable in any form whatsoever having been subjected to such a nuclear bombardment? I'm not sure how effective nuclear weapons were in this time frame compared to the dangers of the Cold War.
    The A-bomb that the Americans used on Japan were basically useless. I think (this is off the top of my head you'll need to check the facts) it was equivalent to about 10 heavy fire bombing raids that were happening in Japan anyway.

However I'm pretty sure Firestorm mentioned the Germans had Hydrogen bombs. If they do then thats another matter. Southern Britain (the financial centre, political centre and breadbasket of the UK) will be uninhabitable for at least 50 years. If not more.

EDIT:

The A bomb is equal to 150,000 tons of TNT. A air raid at that time dropped about 25,000 (I think). When it was dropped on Japan about 500 people died of cancers afterwards and 220,000 died overall.

The Hydrogen bomb is equivalent to 500,000 tons (give or take 100,000 tons) of TNT. It causes more radiation, and would kill many, many more people.

If we assume that two 150,000 bombs were dropped on Japan and killed about 1/4 of a million people then the UK would be looking at (remembering that not all strikes were aimed at cities) about thirteen million dead, if not more.

Thats 27% of the population dead (estimates put the UK population in 1939 to be 47 million, it will probably be less than that with all men possible at the front).

Thats with my guess of seven nukes hitting the UK.

So yeah this worlds going to be pretty messed up. I expect the empire to collapse in the late 50s possibly early 60s and civil war or massive riots in the UK as soon as the war is over.

Germany will probably go the way of Carthage in this scenario. Burnt to the ground. Most men, women and children killed or shipped off elsewhere. The ground in Germany to be covered with salt so that nothing can grow there again and no one can live there again.

It could be possible that after this war is over nuclear weapons are banned under the UN.

Oh and another thing I imagine that Northern Germany will look like Northern France in 1918.
    Your life is your life don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
    Be on the watch there are ways out.
    You can’t beat death but you can beat death in life, sometimes.
    And the more often you learn to do it the more light there will be.
    Your life is your life.
    Know it while you have it.
    The gods wait to delight in you.

Crusader Kings II500k club

I've set up this thread to try and do some fan art. Hope thats OK.

http://www.alternatehistory.com/disc...=1#post2388818
    Your life is your life don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
    Be on the watch there are ways out.
    You can’t beat death but you can beat death in life, sometimes.
    And the more often you learn to do it the more light there will be.
    Your life is your life.
    Know it while you have it.
    The gods wait to delight in you.

I've set up this thread to try and do some fan art. Hope thats OK.

http://www.alternatehistory.com/disc...=1#post2388818
    Thanks for the info. Maybe I will find a way to include such figures in my AAR report.

That is more then okay, by the way. Its brilliant! I like that idea. I will put that link on the front page for sure. If you are going to do that, you are going to have a lot of fun in about 4 month's game time. I will be eager to see what you come up with at that period in time

Can you guys believe its already been 5 years of war since d-day? July 22nd, 1947 was when we took Caen, after fighting for the province since June 20th of that year. Now we are reaching June 1952, after years of bloody struggle, it appears the be reaching the end. No side in Europe can continue this for much longer.

So yeah this worlds going to be pretty messed up. I expect the empire to collapse in the late 50s possibly early 60s and civil war or massive riots in the UK as soon as the war is over.

Oh and another thing I imagine that Northern Germany will look like Northern France in 1918.
    As for the Empire, it is already. Several governments have popped up. Mainland seems to be riot-free, but that is with intense military occupation of the provinces.

Everything west of Berlin to the French border has changed hands so many times, I am sure you are right about that. If not worse
    Last edited by {LD}Firestorm; 17-04-2009 at 02:24.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 203 FirstFirst ... 21 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 71 96 121 146 ... LastLast