"Its all fun and games until someone gets nuked"
Spheres of Influence, 1955
(Black = Axis + Friends, Blue = Remaining Democracies, Red = Communist Control)
Thanks to Midge for this one!
Welcome to Democracy's Last Stand After-Action Report. Here you will find one of the most difficult games ever played by Britain and American human players. With DAIM (an AI mod) and a random chaotic chance of occurrences beyond anyone's foretelling, Germany has become a superpower of which they have achieved unsurpassed power. From the defeat and evacuation of Britain to the losses of India, to D-day and the Invasion of German occupied France, I will attempt to captivate my audience with news reports, written as if you were hearing them over the radio.
This is my first attempt at an AAR. I hope you guys enjoy it.
I also use my own custom music, which I uploaded on request. The link is here:
Winner of the Q1 2009 ACA 'Favorite Narrative' award
Winner of the Q4 2009 ACA 'Favorite Narrative' award
torenico: the Cookie of "Loyal to the Fatherland" ●
Holdsteady suspense award: •
Lord Strange Cookie of British Excellence: ●
Jambor Cookie of Gameplay Awesomeness: ●
Hatuke-The "Impossible Overlord success" cookie: •
Lord Braindead-Green, glowing "the day after" cookie: •
The Totally Random Productions twin-cookie of Outstanding Bravery when facing a Channel Pact: ••
Hebelecan Award of keeping cool when you got back-stabbed: •
TemplarComander's Cookie of Achievement ●
01/02/2009 Weekly AAR Showcase Winner
Winner of the 2009 ACA 'Favorite HoI Narrative' award.
(1) LordSlowpoke's Cookie of Epic Win and Fail at the same time. Wear it with pride: ●
Dáin: I'd at least like to award your computer a "Crush those puny humans" cookie of awesome AI-ingenuity: •
Will attempt to stick to historically plausible tactics, and no save edits / 'gamey' tactics.
Players are as followed:
United States of America - Commander Feuersturm (me)
United Kingdom - Commander Cool
And several speeches written by frigidmagi. Credit to his speeches are given at the bottom of each post containing them.
Midge's Fanfare section
==(Updated World Map with independent country borders)==
Here is the link to a fan-made photo-log-type-thread of the AAR. It starts much later into the AAR (1952), but it should be interesting for those who like to view pictures related to this AAR. I would like to thank Midge for this.
http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=121614 (has not been updated is some time, be warned)
Possible scenario for the 1980s? Who knows!
Leviathan07's Summaries (during the Second World War)
Quick Summary / Recap made by one of the fans to this AAR. It is good and worth a read. Covers much of the war from both Axis and Allied perspectives, as well as their war aims.
Axis: Located on this post
Allies: Located on this post
Thanks to Leviathan07 for these quick summaries.
And as I know reading the comments is half the fun, clicking on a link below opens up the individual post. Here, you can find a link on the upper-right hand part of the newly opened window. Here, you can view it regularly, and you can see replies as well as its place in the thread.
January 1936 - February 1941
- Republican Spain won the Spanish Civil War
- Poland was partitioned between Germany and the Soviet Union
- Slovakia was formed.
- Croatia was formed.
- Romania occupies the southern regions of the former Yugoslavia
- Italy is outside El Alamien.
- Vichy France has been formed.
- Japan has beat Nationalist China and has formed them as a puppet.
- USA has a production focus on carriers and marines
- Germany has built a pair of carriers by this time.
- British Expeditionary Force narrowly avoids destruction in France.
- British airforce is severely hampered by the German airforce
- February 24th, 1941 - British mainland invaded
- March 29th, 1941 - United Kingdom troops forced to Scapa Flow
- May 15th, 1941 - British mainland is evacuated and falls
- May 16th, 1941 - Germany declares war on the Soviet Union
- June 23rd, 1941 - Russian front and African front coverage
- August 21st, 1941 - Germany advances into Russia, breaking the stalemate
- November 27th, 1941 - Pearl Harbor attacked - War with Japan, Moscow and Stalingrad threatened, Leningrad encircled, Britain lands in Plymouth
- December 30th, 1941 - Moscow and Leningrad fall, Japanese advance on Singapore and India, Britain reclaimed, Operation Crusader in Africa
- February 24th, 1942 - Russian counter attack fails, Germans take more land. British advance in Africa
- March 19th, 1942 - Operation Torch
- October 5th, 1942 - Conclusion of Operation Torch, Tunis captured
- February 8th, 1943 - Persia joins the Allies as a result of German declaration of war
- February 13th, 1943 - Persia report, Invasion of Japanese Home Islands begins
- July 23rd, 1943 - Large naval engagement between United States Navy and the Japanese Imperial Navy
- September 26th, 1943 - Bitter Peace
- October 18th, 1943 - October 23rd, 1943 - Britain invaded again
- December 18th, 1943 - Switzerland joins the Axis powers
- January 6th, 1944 - January 28th, 1944 - Afghanistan joins Axis (January 6th), Saudi Arabia joins Japan (January 16th), Allied retreat in Middle East, Japanese troops are cut off, Battle of the Atlantic reaches a new peak
- March 9th, 1944 - April 7th, 1944 - Allies continue the retreat, supply situation becomes a problem in India
- May 21st, 1944 - Allied front in India collapses, Turkey joins the Axis (May 21st)
- June 29th, 1944 - Karachi port is cut off from majority of Allied forces
- July 5th, 1944 - German and Japanese fronts link, American armies advance in China
- September 2nd, 1944 - Evacuation of India
- September 14th, 1944 - Last Allied divisions are evacuated from India
- September 16th, 1944 - Portugal joins the Axis
- October 28th, 1944 - Brazil joins the Allies
- January 27th, 1944 - Stalemate in South America
- June 10th, 1945 - Allied advances in China create 3 pockets containing a total of ~30 divisions
- July 1st, 1945 - Lebanon joins the Axis
- September 11th, 1945 - Update on war in China
- February 16th, 1946 - Spies put German strength at: 530 Infantry Divisions, 47 Panzer Divisions, 9 carriers, 2 battlecruisers, and 38 smaller ships (presumed to be mostly U-boats)
- March 10th, 1946 - Battle of the Atlantic update, British industry on the brink of collapse
- July 1st, 1946 - Nicaragua joins the Axis
- August 25th, 1946 - Battle of the Atlantic update, Battle of China update, British economic collapse
- August 27th, 1946 - Manchukuo is annexed by the USA
- October 8th, 1946 - Belfast occupied by German troops
- October 13th, 1946 - Nationalist China is annexed by the USA
- January 7th, 1947 - Germany sinks American ships at New York. American Carrier fleet is ambushed north of Bermuda.
- January 16th, 1947 - Korea is released by the United States of America
- April 13th, 1947 - Germany launches an offensive into the Middle East
- June 14th, 1947 - German attacks into the Middle East continue, Allies have regained control of the Atlantic for the time being.
- 06:00 June 20th, 1947 - Operation Overlord Speech. The Invasion of German-occupied France begins
- June 20th - June 30th, 1947 - Part I of the 'Battle of Normandy'
- June 30th - July 22nd, 1947 - Part II of the 'Battle of Normandy'
- July 22nd, 1947 - Caen taken, Normandy secured. Allied reinforcements cross the Channel.
- July 28th, 1947 - Allied reinforcements pour across the Channel, and Allied forces continue to advance into France
- August 3rd, 1947 - Paris liberated, 15 Axis divisions trapped in Brest
- August 18th, 1947 - Allies continue to advance towards Germany and the Mediterranean. Vichy (the Vichy France capital) has fallen
- September 21st, 1947 - German counter attack
- November 5th, 1947 - German advance halts, Vichy France annexed.
- December 20th - Republican Spain joins the Allies
- January 9th, 1948 - Allies advance towards the West Wall. British forces reach Italian border in southern France
- February 22nd, 1948 - German troops break the Allied line in the Middle East. Canadian reinforcements arrive in France.
- March 30th, 1948 - German armies retake Reims and Allied troops evacuate to the Suez.
- April 12th, 1948 - German armies continue to attack, American forces seize Liege and Arlon. British troops lose Grenoble in southern France.
- June 7th, 1948 - Allied push takes first German cities.
- June 12th, 1948 - Bolivia joins the Axis
- July 17th, 1948 - Allied front reaches most of the Rhine river. Allied attacks across the river are repulsed.
- August 5th, 1948 - Dortmund, Essen and Kassel fall into Allied hands. American casualties are significant.
- August 29th, 1948 - Capture of Amsterdam and 16 German divisions.
- November 18th, 1948 - Kassel and Munster are taken by American and British forces.
- December 27th, 1948 - Operation Avalanche - Attacking Anzio by the sea.
- February 16th, 1949 - Chile joins the Allies, Rome is captured by Allied forces
- June 11th, 1949 - Advances in northern German see the capture of Hannover, Bremen, and Wilhelmshafen. South American front on the brink of collapse.
- August 11th, 1949 - German launches a few minor attacks in Europe. South American front continues to collapse.
- September 25th, 1949 - Brazil is annexed by Argentina
- September 28th, 1949 - Chile is annexed by Argentina
- October 1st, 1949 - Japan is annexed by the United States of Amerca
- October 9th, 1949 - People's Republic of Korea (North Korea) declares its independence and becomes a puppet of the Soviet Union.
- October 10th, 1949 - Report on Chile, Brazil, Japan and Korea.
- November 21st, 1949 - Allies advance in India
- December 24th, 1949 - Continued Allied advance in India. Tunisia is liberated.
- February 7th, 1950 - Nepal is liberated.
- March 10th, 1950 - Attacks on the Suez Canal. Naval engagement between German and American navies (German losses: 7 carriers | American losses: 9 carriers, 3 battleships)
- March 26th, 1950 - Allies attack in central Germany, taking several key provinces.
- April 19th, 1950 - Allies attack Hannover and Karachi fortifications.
- May 13th, 1950 - Nuclear attack on the Italian city of Rimini
- July 19th, 1950 - Allied advance in Italy. Report on Nuclear attack against Rimini. German counter attack fails, and Allies capture some fortifications in southern Germany.
- July 25th, 1950 - Saudi Arabia is annexed.
- August 15th, 1950 - Algeria is released by the United States.
- September 1st, 1950 - Germans continue to attack in southern France, and launch an attack on southern Italy from Sicily.
- October 24th, 1950 - Nuclear attack on the Italian city of Florence, heavy fighting in Germany.
- November 30th, 1950 - Allies advance toward Middle East oilfields, and in Italy Allies continue to push north.
- December 23rd, 1950 - Morocco is released by the United States.
- January 24th, 1951 - Allies land in Norway, Allies advance towards Iraq.
- January 29th, 1951 - Afghanistan is released by the United Kingdom
- March 8th, 1951 - Germans push Allies back in northern Germany and out of Iraq. Allied attacks in the Middle East lack significant progress.
- March 27th, 1951 - Hannover is retaken, British attacks in southern France fail. Heavy fighting in the Middle East.
- April 26th, 1951 - Allies advance in central Germany and Middle East. Moscow is destroyed by a British nuclear bomb.
- May 9th, 1951 - North Korea declares war on South Korea. The Soviet Union is now at war with the Allies.
- May 13th, 1951 - North Korea is annexed by South Korea.
- May 14th, 1951 - Reports on Europe, the Middle East, and Asia.
- June 21st, 1951 - Allies attack Lubeck and Rostock, while continue to hold the line in China against the Red Army. American forces move across the Swedish border.
- June 28th, 1951 - Israel is released by the United Kingdom
- July 12th, 1951 - Attacks in Germany continue
- August 19th, 1951 - Nationalist China is released by the United States.
- August 19th, 1951 - Japan is released by the United States.
- September 7th, 1951 - Allies take Wolfsburg, Leipzig, Hamburg and Kiel. British and American manpower drop substantially.
- September 7th, 1951 - Sheffield is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
- September 10th, 1951 - Liverpool is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
- September 10th, 1951 - Birmingham is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
- September 10th, 1951 - Glasgow is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
- September 12th, 1951 - Edinburgh is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
- September 12th, 1951 - Berlin is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
- September 13th, 1951 - Vienna is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
- September 13th, 1951 - Philadelphia is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
- September 13th, 1951 - Report on the nuclear destruction of Britain and the nuclear exchange between USA and Germany.
- September 20th, 1951 - Norwich is destroyed by a nuclear bomb. Twice.
- September 20th, 1951 - Allies take Rostock. Forces in India, again, prepare for evacuation.
- September 28th, 1951 - Naval battle west of France. Heavy German losses (9 carriers).
- October 8th, 1951 - London is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
- October 17th, 1951 - Detroit is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
- October 20th, 1951 - Prague is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
- October 20th, 1951 - Report on further nuclear attacks and Allied advances.
- November 1st, 1951 - Allied armies reach Czechoslovakian and Austria. German and Italian armies break out towards Spain and the Atlantic.
- November 5th, 1951 - Map Update
- November 15th, 1952 - Minor Soviet attacks in China. Allies secure Potsdam, and begin attacking the advancing German armies in southern France.
- December 13th, 1951 - Naval battle between Germany and USA. American fleet loses 6 carriers and destroys one.
- January 21st, 1952 - Allied attacks in southern France make significant gains. Berlin is now surrounded on 3 sides. Canadian forces advance towards Stockholm.
- February 2nd, 1952 - Nepal is annexed by the Soviet Union.
- February 14th, 1952 - Libya is annexed by Germany.
- March 3rd, 1952 - Allies advance towards Italian border, and German troops advance in Africa.
- March 30th, 1952 - Continued advances through Germany and Italy. World Map Update
- April 13th, 1952 - Red Army attacks South Korea. Allies advance into Italy, and Germany retakes Cottbus. Again.
- April 29th, 1952 - Guinea declares its independence from the United Kingdom.
- May 1st, 1952 - German counter attack in southern Germany. Allies advance to the Italian city of Milan.
- May 13th, 1952 - Allied advances in Sweden and Africa. German strength increases on the Berlin front. Soviets continue to attack Korean positions.
- June 1st, 1952 - Germany continues its counter-offensive. Allied positions in Germany are pushed back.
- June 3rd, 1952 - New York is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
====Transfer to BBC stations as New York has been destroyed====
- June 6th, 1952 - Gottingen is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
- June 6th, 1952 - Liverpool is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
- June 7th, 1952 - Wolfsburg is destroyed by a nuclear bomb
- June 13th, 1952 - Atlantic City is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
- June 13th, 1952 - Report on nuclear attacks and the continued advances by German forces. American nuclear counter attack is shot out of the sky.
- June 23rd, 1952 - Berlin has been taken! German reactors destroyed, but Allies continue to retreat west.
- June 28th, 1952 - Journal entry on the Allied retreat
- July 23rd, 1952 - German offensive continues. Minor Allied gains in Africa and Italy.
- August 24th, 1952 - German continues to pound Allied lines. Minor Allied successes in Africa.
- September 15th, 1952 - Norway is released by the United States.
- September 21st, 1952 - Germany attacks continue. Allies advance further into Tunisia.
- October 1st, 1952 - Major fighting for Kassel in Germany. Speech from southern American state dissenters.
- October 24th, 1952 - Britain surrenders and becomes a puppet of Germany.
- November 1st, 1952 - More reports on British surrender and consequent military situation.
- November 5th, 1952 - Ireland joins the Allies
- Novebmer 12th, 1952 - The Americans begin their retreat.
- November 25th, 1952 - Allied retreat largely successful, by significant losses in men, material and land have been made.
- December 14th, 1952 - More Allied retreats. Defensive line formed along the Seine River outside of Paris. This is the last report for 3 weeks as I am on vacation.
- December 25th, 1952 - Columbia joins the Allies (Axis DoW)
- December 27th, 1952 - German armor breaks through the Seine River defensive line.
- January 11th, 1953 - Munich is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
- January 13th, 1953 - Allied front shows signs of near-total collapse. Paris falls.
- February 14th, 1953 - 97 Allied divisions trapped in southern France. A large number of Allied divisions make it out of the northern-French pocket in an evacuation that was nothing short of a miracle.
- April 2nd, 1953 - Korean front breaks, and Allied forces in Europe have been pushed into Spain.
- April 8th, 1953 - Algeria is annexed by Germany.
- April 16th, 1953 - The United Kingdom releases Palestine.
- April 18th, 1953 - German breakthrough into Spain.
- May 2nd, 1953 - Germany gains total air superiority, while American tanks engage German armor in central Spain.
- May 5th, 1953 - Korea is annexed by the Soviet Union.
- May 5th, 1953 - Continued heavy fighting in Spain between Axis and Allied forces.
- May 19th, 1953 - War wages on in Spain. Allied front in Scandinavia collapses.
- May 23rd, 1953 - Spanish battles reach a climax. Allies continue to retreat to Gibraltar.
- June 10th, 1953 - Battle of Guadalajara is over, with an Axis victory. 83 Allied divisions are destroyed / captured.
- June 29th, 1953 - Washington DC has been destroyed by a nuclear bomb. (British)
- July 1st, 1953 - Allied divisions in Norway surrender. Allied divisions in Spain have been forced into two coastal pockets.
- July 7th, 1953 - Sweden annexed Norway
- August 1st, 1953 - GERMAN VICTORY IN EUROPE. USA AND CANADA SURRENDER
- August 4th, 1953 - New European borders and Hitler's assassination.
- October 2nd, 1953 - More news on American Civil War
- October 7th, 1953 - Political situation on American Civil War. Quebec separatist forces have been defeated.
- October 20th, 1953 - Confederate armies make heavy advances along the east coast.
- November 16th, 1953 - Major Confederate advances. Texas takes the American Nuclear facilities at Denver.
- November 26th, 1953 - Major Texas advances against Confederate and US positions.
- December 25th, 1953 - Confederates are pushed to the brink. Soviets breakthrough in China, and California takes much of the west coast.
- January 21st, 1954 - Reports on the fighting between Texas, the US, and Confederate troops
- February 4th, 1954 - Texan front collapses in the face of Californian attacks.
- February 14th, 1954 - First news report from Liberty Radio
- February 24th, 1954 - World Hunger continues to grow during winter
- March 19th, 1954 - Argentina politics and economy, and fights in the USA
- April 3rd, 1954 - Asian theater reports. British invade Australia, while Japanese invade Manchuria.
- April 27th, 1954 - Major attacks by Confederate and US forces against Texas. British advance in Australia, and Canada gets war refugees.
CBC World News
- May 11th, 1954 - Riots in Britain and Canada, and reports on the food crisis and military situation in America.
- May 26th, 1954 - More US and Chinese front updates.
- July 11th, 1954 - Australia and US reports.
- July 21st, 1954 - Australia counter attacks in Australia, Soviets advance against China, and US sells Alaska to Canada.
- August 12th, 1954 - News of the War Crime Trials and successful Australian counter attacks.
- October 23rd, 1954 - Chinese forces retreat all over the front, Australia is in a stalemate with Britain, and Texas is on the verge of defeat.
- November 28th, 1954 - China on the brink, Texas on its last bastions. Australia is retreating.
- December 5th, 1955 - Texas is annexed by the Confederate States of America
- January 6th, 1955 - China continues to retreat. Germany launches first satellite into space.
- January 27th, 1955 - California is annexed.
- January 27th, 1955 - Reports on Californian annexation, and the continued Chinese retreat.
- May 12th, 1955 - Confederate forces make significant gains. South Africa surrenders.
- June 9th, 1955 - Confederate armies take much of the US eastern coast and push towards Chicago (the US capital).
- July 15th, 1955 - Axis troops declare victory in Africa. The United States launches a large offensive against Confederate positions along the entire front.
- July 18th, 1955 - Second news report from Liberty Radio, reporting on the failing Confederacy
- September 15th, 1955 - Confederacy near annexation, pushed to three pockets.
- September 19th, 1955 - The Confederate States of America surrenders to the USA - End of the US Civil War
- October 26th, 1955 - Day before the Versailles Trials (Prosecution of Allied War Criminals)
- October 27th, 1955 - Liberty Radio - First Day of the Versailles Trials (Allied War Crimes Trials)
- October 30th, 1955 - Reich News Broadcasting on the War Trials
- April 2nd, 1956 - US begins its nuclear program, Argentina becomes politically aggressive.
- June 15th,1956 - The Soviet Union launches two nuclear attacks on China: Kunming and Haiphong
- August 30th, 1956 - Reich News Broadcasting on the conclusion of the Versailles Trials
- December 24th, 1956 - China is annexed
- December 30th, 1956 - US Election
- August 10th, 1957 - Germany puts their first man into space. US economy recovering
- November 13th, 1957 - United States of America goes to war after Argentina attacks Venezuela.
- December 1st, 1957 - Large naval engagement between US and Argentinian fleets.
- January 15th, 1958 - Reports on European economy and the South American war
- March 17th, 1958 - Attacks in South America, and Soviet troops increase outside of Shanghai
- April 28th, 1958 - Soviet Union declares war. Japan is devastated by nuclear bombs.
- June 25th, 1958 - Large Soviet-American naval battle. More nuclear attacks by the Soviet Union.
- October 14th, 1958 - US and Soviet nuclear attacks.
- February 13th, 1959 - Air battles over Asia, American forces land in South Korea.
- April 18th, 1959 - US Forces advance deep into Korea.
- May 24th, 1959 - Korea reports, and European industry situation.
- May 30th, 1959 - Large Soviet-US Naval battle
- Semtpember 18th, 1959 - Reports on civil unrest in Albania and China, and the reports on the air war over Korea between the USA and the Soviet Union
- November 9th, 1959 - Soviet Union invaded Australia at the port of Darwin.
- December 29th, 1959 - Soviet Invasion continues, and the US Navy suffers staggering losses
- January 12th, 1960 - US Spies destroy a Soviet nuclear ICBM. Red Army continues its advance in Australia, as well as landing forces on Taiwan.
- March 14th, 1960 - Reports on Australia and the continued Soviet advance.
- April 14th, 1960 - American retreats, German economy
- May 14th, 1960 - Soviet attacks in Australia and American nuclear attack on Soviet capital in Siberia.
- July 9th, 1960 - Australia continues to buckle under Soviet advances, large report on German economy
- August 10th, 1960 - Soviet forces invade Japan.
- August 26th, 1960 - Reports on situations and settlement in Europe, military reports from combat in Australia.
- September 29th, 1960 - New Canadian flag
- October 16th, 1960 - US forces evacuate Korea
- November 10th, 1960 - US Evacuation of Korea and the US Election
- December 9th, 1960 - Soviet offensive in Australia starts...and ends.
- March 21st, 1961 - CP offensive in Australia begins
- April 4th, 1961 - Chicago Pact offensive continues to force Red Army into a retreat. Brisbane retaken by CP forces.
- May 7th, 1961 - The Soviet army collapses in Australia
- July 5th, 1961 - Red Army forces in Australia surrender.
- January 1st, 1962 - End of Democracy's Last Legs: Part 1
Commander Feuersturm's death