Closed Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #7 - 26th of November 2008

Field Marshal
    EU3 Complete

Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    Anyway, we've been working hard lately, developing the core of our new revolutionary intelligence system, trade agreements, and polishing aspects of the resource system.
    I hope this will include being able to affect, including creating with a pre-defined ID, specific trade agreements by event! (See this old thread.)

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by safferli
    Still, that's 250 days per infantry division!
    Either the effect of no production experience...or it's the alpha ghost rearing it's ugly head again

HoI AnthologyDiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi

Very nice feature. This will open up a whole new scope of gameplay, as usual
    My spambot broke, now I have to write everything myself.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup.

Workers of the world, igni-* err... unite!

Procrastinator extraordinaire Registered's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I wonder whether brigades can be moved from division to division independently after a division has been built. Say, when you are stretched thin on a front and want to turn 4 4 brigade divisions into 5 3 brigade divisions. Or strip armoured brigades from inf. divisions to turn them into a full blown armoured division.
    "The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity"
    Yeats

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIISword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Zanza
    Anybody has an idea what the flag column means? The S-H tank and the garrison have 2, most others have 1, tanks and militia have 0. Can't really be partisan suppression as I can hardly imagine something worse for that task than S-H tanks.
    I guess it is partisan suppression - but the numbers are wrong at this stage.

Typing in all capital letters went out of style with FORTRAN.

EU3 Complete

So once you build a divison is the composition permanent or can we mix them up later?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Looks aren't too good IMO. But it's awesome
    I really hope the number of brigades allowed is soft coded. I'm guessing it is considering a "right tech" can give you an additional brigade. Soft coded number of brigades makes it possible for modders to implement battalions, which is even cooler. But brigades is certainly a nice choice in any case.

Also, would it not be better with a scrollable menu for the different templates? Each item has a name and a number of icons representing each brigade. I'm thinking like it is in the diplomacy tab in Hoi2 where each nation is represented by the name and up to five icons to show what kind of resources the country can trade away. Shouldn't be too much hassle for you guys and gives us more information and it's not limited by space requirements for each template button. I'm guessing that having one button for each and every template creates some space problems. You'd have to (well, not have to but it'd be logical) hardcode the number of templates.
    Although it looks kinda unfinished gui-wise (the template-thingys), so it might be fixed in any case.

The light gray used for the brigade symbols are too light IMO. That goes for the really white text too. Contrast is nice, but this was a little over the top. I'm only talking about the table on the left side, the right side looks ok.

Overall I'm really excited!

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty 2
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Im happy to see the Strenght symbol from Vicky return (the fist representing number of men). Now elite divisions with 4-5 brigades will actually take more hits than ordinary ones aswell.
    "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - Patton

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness

If the far left value is strength, is it no longer a %? I know the numbers don't mean anything yet, but it seems like that should be number of men.

Also, I wonder how the counter image will be selected for the division.
    "Oww! Owwwwwww! They're defending themselves somehow" - Homer J. Simpson

"Games are much like sausages" - Darkrenown

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meanmanturbo
    Either the effect of no production experience...or it's the alpha ghost rearing it's ugly head again
    Yupp... that's probably it! Still, the Alpha thingie won't explain the last production dairy, where serial builds were explicitly axed.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Achtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisPride of NationsHoi 2 Beta500k club

Quote Originally Posted by bz249
    Absolutely it is a very well know tradition of every country that they put their best men leading garrison and SH tank divisions
    Maybe it's 'size', a bit like profile at sea. You're going to see a rangefinding tower or Maus tank long before you see a rifleman

The Shadow of Man 406 - 1095 - Rules

Contribute to 'Concert of Europe', an 1815 mod for Victoria 2

General der Tso's Chicken Bullfrog's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Mp, org, space, SA, HA, AA, Def, Tough, AirDef, Speed, Leadership, Supplies, Oil, IC, Manpower, Time
    "We’ve been looking for the enemy for several days now. We’ve finally found them. We are surrounded. That simplifies the problem of getting to these people and killing them."
    -Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Non compost mentis

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by safferli
    Yupp... that's probably it! Still, the Alpha thingie won't explain the last production dairy, where serial builds were explicitly axed.
    no just the gearing bonus.
    Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by King
    no just the gearing bonus.
    Ah, makes sense that you can still de-clutter your production queue by producing infantry ad nauseum. Thanks for the clarification!
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

woow awesome! this is great

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIISword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Cidal
    So once you build a divison is the composition permanent or can we mix them up later?
    I also hope this will be possible.

Typing in all capital letters went out of style with FORTRAN.

Hoi 2 Beta

That looks superb.

Just one question, 12 templates - irrevelant of models available? So the production engine will just use the latest models of each type, I expect?!
    For God, King and Country - A MARCH OF THE EAGLES AAR
    "That there is one damn fine coat you're wearin'." x2 - Marv, Sin City.

Quote Originally Posted by King
    yes the Division design system will in no way shield you from any stupid things you plan to do.
    Apart, apparently, from building a square division with built-in artillery support... Will most armies start with the doctrines to build divisions with 5 brigades and get that chopped down to 4? Or will they start with doctrines in which infantry brigades are much larger, so that a 2 inf + 1 art is a full-blown square division?

---------------------

On templates: like has been asked before, can you, in game, decide to save your new design as a template? And, if so, can the player rename the templates? I'd rather set up a build order of 10x3 "Regular" and 1x3 "Light" divisions than 10x3 "Template I" and 1x3 "Template II" divisions, if that's possible...

#################
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by.
    It ended abruptly in the middle of nowhere; would not pick again.
    A traveler

Can't wait to design my own divisions. Been waiting for this since HoI 1 came out.

Already thinking of what would make up a good light infantry division and what a decent rear guard division should look like. Can't wait to see the final product in late summer 2009 right?

Serious question though. Do you have to save the division template or can you make a stand alone production run and let those divisions stand as is for the rest of the game?

Resident, Fawlty Towers Chaplain's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Just beautiful ... *sheds a tear* ...

I remember being 13 y/o in 1976 and playing Third Reich on my bedroom floor, thinking, "Wouldn't it be awesome if the whole thing was automated ... ", and then HOI1 came along, and it keeps getting better.

But when do we get the flying cars?
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast