• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Johan said:
We're going to implement a strict historical accuracy mode in HoI3, where things will not be able to go unhistorical.
Oh? This is interesting. Are you able to expand on this today, or will it be the subject of a future dev diary?

Just thought of it... The new politics system should enable us to realistically import games from Vicky. Example is if you finish as victorius Central Powers in Vicky, than when you import this in HoI2, allies just sit on their hands, doing nothing. In HoI3 France would be revanchist since Germany would have France cores (similarly as Poland and Czechoslovakia have German cores). Really nice.

Johan said:
One aspect that have changed in the game since we last talked is the resources. After long consideration, we decided to make logistics and convoys work more intuitively so we splitted up oil into crude oil and fuel. Crude Oil is now produced in provinces and converted from energy while fuel is consumed by units. Fuel is created out of Crude Oil in amounts depending on your total IC and your refinery technologies every day.

For creating fuel from crude oil, will we need to have 2 energy points for 1 fuel point ?

And about politics...will we can change, or choose after the election, the ministers ?

Awesome update! I have been waiting for parties desperately!

Johan, my saviour! :)

Myth said:
Oh? This is interesting. Are you able to expand on this today, or will it be the subject of a future dev diary?

If we manage to get it in, it means that when you play, everything will turn out exactly like it did historically.

Of course, that may not be that fun of a game :) As Germany will surrender in May 1945!

Johan said:
If we manage to get it in, it means that when you play, everything will turn out exactly like it did historically.

That's great! No, that's not great, that's the best part of the game if you implement it!!! :cool:

I'll don't have to worry about Romania annexing Yugoslavia and Hungary any more. :D

I see the US turning into a real espionage battle ground now in the race for influence. The Germans will try and get the American right wing (with Lindbergh) in power, the Soviets will be trying to make the US more communist, and the Brits will be trying to keep FDR in power.

This feature could really make the pre-war years much more exciting. The Great Game played out as great powers jockey for position in all the important secondary countries.

Johan said:
We're going to implement a strict historical accuracy mode in HoI3, where things will not be able to go unhistorical.

Can you please elaborate on this issue, does this mean that you can switch the "mode" off? Does it mean that ones own choises are limited if you forget to switch the mode off?

Myth said:
That's where I see the party organization as coming in. There was no alternative party organization which could have possibly stood up to Mussolini's Fascists or Hitler's Nazis, so those worries you're having would only occur an absolutely, incredibly astronomically small proportion of the time.

Thats what Id prefer, a system that will follow history pretty accurately most of the time but still allow for the occasional random deviation...after all Hitler may have put off the invasion of the USSR for a while. Deviation is good.

And if the Italians go commie once in a while...so be it. :D

Johan said:

Of course, that may not be that fun of a game :) As Germany will surrender in May 1945!
Assuming you play historically too, right (or at least, don't bugger up the timeline too much)? If you go blatantly ahistorical as the Soviet Union (for instance), will the game still attempt to force a historical straightjacket onto itself or will the AI be able to (more or less) intelligently adapt to the changes?

Wulf145 said:
Can you please elaborate on this issue, does this mean that you can switch the "mode" off? Does it mean that ones own choises are limited if you forget to switch the mode off?

A more likely option is to have a scenario that is strictly historical.

Myth said:
Assuming you play historically too, right (or at least, don't bugger up the timeline too much)? If you go blatantly ahistorical as the Soviet Union (for instance), will the game still attempt to force a historical straightjacket onto itself or will the AI be able to (more or less) intelligently adapt to the changes?

Don't worry.. You can't do anything ahistorical in historical mode. Your armies in Stalingrad will surrender at 2nd of February 1943, and you will never be able to move your armies in non-historical orders.

Seriously though.. my reply was a joke. There is no such option, its just beyond silly.

Someone has to ask it so here goes: is there any system implemented resource-wise to make a submarine campaign actually have an effect?

th3freakie said:
Someone has to ask it so here goes: is there any system implemented resource-wise to make a submarine campaign actually have an effect?

yes. will be discussed in detail in a later development diary.

We're extremely excited by our logistics model.

Shabz said:
A more likely option is to have a scenario that is strictly historical.

A battle scenario I can see, but what about a real scenario, i.e. the 1936 start date, does this mean that other countries will make the same decisions that they did in history even if the situation is totaly different (in the game), and would warrent a different strategy?

Edit: While writting this post Johan admitted that it was just a joke. :)

Johan said:
Don't worry.. You can't do anything ahistorical in historical mode. Your armies in Stalingrad will surrender at 2nd of February 1943, and you will never be able to move your armies in non-historical orders.

Seriously though.. my reply was a joke. There is no such option, its just beyond silly.
Ach, you're awful. I'm sure you could have seen the look of awe and glee on some people's faces and the horror on others' :p