• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is starting to look fantastic, HOI3 seems to be shaping up even more and more over time, I can't wait to see how the game will look near the release. This is great

Johan said:
yes. will be discussed in detail in a later development diary.

We're extremely excited by our logistics model.

not that I wasn't going to buy this game before this post, but now I might buy it twice...so I can starve the British on two computers at the same time

I really like the idea of not being confined by events, ie. not having to worry about making my moves on exactly the right date to get that magical event.

Captain Frakas said:
One could say that the HOI series hide all the criminal aspects of nazi Germany and only show it in it's military glory aspect. In HOI, nazi Germany is represented in a romantic manner and thus is somewhat glorified while in reality it was an infame and horrible criminal state helped in it's objectives by it's army.

I guess that comment is true for the Soviets, the opressive racism and capitalism in America, the totalitarion communism in China (and the warlords we not the nicest chaps either), the Japaneese somewhat ...unorthodox ... treatment of POWs, etc.

War is, by the way, not a nice experience in itself and HoI does not show how grusomely mind-wrecking it is.

It's a game. Not a documentary.

A lot of you are wondering off the topic and into topics that are banned on this forum. The next person to do so is banned, it is that simple.

Johan said:
If we manage to get it in, it means that when you play, everything will turn out exactly like it did historically.

Of course, that may not be that fun of a game :) As Germany will surrender in May 1945!

Would it make sense to make it changeable within a game... off course just in one direction... means I start 100% historical and at one point in time, I decide to go on ahistorical... for sure a way back is then not possible to historical mode...

EDIT: Just a joke??? oh no.. was a great idea... :(

Last edited:
So anyway, I'm assuming you guys at Paradox wouldn't mind if people tell you about the domestic political situations in various countries (if they have the knowledge), given how much more detail is being put into that aspect of the game? Or do you more or less know this stuff from the previous HoI games?

Johan said:
alpha_nov19.jpg

Hi, it looks like it is going to be the best HoI yet:)

What are the camera, letter and racingflag in the toolbar symbolizing?

My guess is Camera=Spys availabel, Letter= Diplomats availabel and racingflag=???.

Last edited:
Dunckelzahn said:
Hi, it looks like it is going to be the best HoI yet:)

What are the camera, letter and racingflag in the toolbar symbolizing?

My guess is Camera=Spys availabel, Letter= Diplomats availabel and racingflag=???.

The 'racing'-flag is leadership, see this development-diary

Nice that Amsterdam is an urban province now, means urban provinces can be far more common instead of allmost unique like in HoI2...

But i have to say Rotterdam at that time (and as well today) was a larger urban province than Amsterdam (not sure about their population) but Rotterdam here is not an urban province.
One from Holland would say Rotterdam has more reason to be an urban province here then Amsterdam, one from outside Holland thinks the other way i guess:)

Rotterdam really was the industrial center point in Holland that time and also the center for trade with its port, wich all together was one of the main reasons Rotterdam was the city chosen for bombing by the luftwaffe...

Hmmm, interesting.

I still wnder how you are going to pull of München without an event system though. And a WWII game without it just feels... wrong.

The game still starts in '36, right?

The political system sounds very good, but sounds like it could be difficult to keep track of relationships that would be important to a country.

Please, please, please, keep the micromanagement down.

Or, in other words, provide some automation tools, because it got very tedious in HOI2 to keep having to remember to influence countries and initiate spy missions. For my games, politics and espionage usually got put to one side during periods of intense warfare (e.g. Barbarossa or the Battle of France) and that wouldn't happen in real life.

Arilou said:
Hmmm, interesting.

I still wnder how you are going to pull of München without an event system though. And a WWII game without it just feels... wrong.

The game still starts in '36, right?

We have no event system?

Great news. Perhaps the best yet. Exactly what part II was missing.

Thanks a lot, after some disappoining news (Industry...) this is very pleasant.

Arilou said:
I still wnder how you are going to pull of München without an event system though.

Of course its harder without an event system.

:rolleyes:

Last time I checked we

a) have a very powerful working event syste

b) have repeatedly announced that there will be events and decisions on the same level as HoI2 had.

c) have spent quite a few months designing and implementing events.

Johan said:
Of course its harder without an event system.

:rolleyes:

Last time I checked we

a) have a very powerful working event syste

b) have repeatedly announced that there will be events and decisions on the same level as HoI2 had.

c) have spent quite a few months designing and implementing events.
Nice to hear that again. Just be patient with the community. People are pretty hyped up so they (including me) might not notice, remember or understand all things you say in this development diary. :)

Eagerly waiting for some screenshots of diplomacy, intelligence and technology interfaces.