+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #6 - 19th of November 2008

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    EU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV

On your left flank, on your right flank, encircling your rear and advancing towards your front.
    But dood! I actually want WW2 to start!
    “It was heart-rending to have witnessed how the Ariete division (our most loyal allies) and remanets of the Trieste and Littorio Divisions, fought with death defying courage; how their tanks (the “sardine tins” so often mocked by us) were shot up and left burning on the battlefield. Although I was engaged in actions myself, I kept in contact with the XX Italian Corps until it was almost surrounded. At about 1530 hours, the commander of the Ariete Division sent his last radio message to Rommel: “We are encircled, the Ariete tanks still in action.” By evening, the XX Italian Corps had been destroyed. We lost good brave friends, from whom we demanded more than they were in a position to give.”
    Hans Von Luck – 'Panzer Commander'

Impossible? A Challenge! jorian's Avatar
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    We're going to implement a strict historical accuracy mode in HoI3, where things will not be able to go unhistorical.
    ...Well, I can't cheer for this one, i hope it's only for the AI and not for the player

and even then, does this mean we know with closed eyes who will win the war without player intervention?
    "Maps are cool, everybody loves maps!" - Johan

Bad mojo Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by jorian
    ...Well, I can't cheer for this one, i hope it's only for the AI and not for the player

and even then, does this mean we know with closed eyes who will win the war without player intervention?
    It was a joke !

We're extremely excited by our logistics model.

Me too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Veldmaarschalk
    It was a joke !

I nearly had a heart attack, that wasn't funny!

HoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by Syntalynder
    Me too.
    How can I get to work in Paradox Interactive?
    "The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with."
    -- Marty Feldman

Blog Entries
    I would like to see next time a screenhot of something ahistorical, something daring or wacky, or maybe an independent ahistorical nation

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    It was a joke !

Incredible how people actually managed to believe that joke was serious. It was obvious from Pluto that it was not a serious comment.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. -Isa 41:10

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
    -------------------------------

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

Eternal leader of all Ducks The Great Duck's Avatar

Not neccessarily...maybe there will be different levels of how historically the game will progress,like e.g. the difficulty level?
    LONG LIVE CROATIA
    Nationality: Croat
    Religion: Agnostic/Catholic
    Ideology: Conservative
    Issues: Moralism/Jingoism
    Mods and projects that need your attention:Modern Day Scenario-Cold War-Kaiserreich-1914-Mod33-E3 Project-Whites and Reds-Arms and Amistice
    Support the Unified HoI3 historical mod initiative!-Wote for my AAR in the HOI3 AAR contest!
    Me on Youtube
    The new leader of mankind!

I actually thought it would be a good idea for the AI. Atleast to some degree. It would be a nice option for example playing Canada, Finland or some other non-major, with whom the level of playing enjoyment is quite dependant on the desicions of the majors. Knowing that the AI will fight the war atleast somewhat historically, or atleast attempt to do so, and give historical answers to events (if there will still be some) would assure that it will not turn out completely boring. Germany not going to war over Danzig being the utmost example, or Japan deciding against PH when human plays as USA.
    Support Tibetan, support Basque, support Catalan, support Chechnyan, Québécois, Tamili, Acehian, Kurdish and Kosovian independence!
    Free country for all who want one, dammit.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Philosopher of the Future Alexander Seil's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae Victis

What happens if Germany rolls the dice wrong and loses the Battle of France? Sorry, but Johan's comment was obviously a joke, and a pretty good one (I actually believed it for 0.5 second).

Hearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Former Far Eastern Colony of the European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush
    I am really anxious about this new logistic system cause some general said: "tactics if for amateurs, the professionals study logistics".
    I agree. Although... One does wonder how many 'nerd' points one gathers for being excited about the new logistics within a game

Quote Originally Posted by Catkind
    What about secret or illegal parties? How parties affect dissidents?
    Easy way would just be to have 'illegal' parties having a very tough time raising their organization. I mean, if you're not allowed and the government is after you... it might be pretty hard to get voted in to office etc.
    Nationality: European
    Religion: Atheist
    Ideology: Liberal
    Issues: Laissez-fair/Free trade
    Current work: Clerk
    Cash reserves: £9
    Revolt risk: 0%
    Militancy: 3
    Consciousness: 9

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I wonder how many dev diaries we are going to get. 40?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Very nice job.

I must say it scares me a little to get away from events yet again. I guess that is the way Paradox games are going and there is no turning back. I'm not going to try to swim against the current, but I for one am going to be disapointed if every HOI3 game is crazy with countries switching ideologies and weird parties coming to power left and right.

I don't know if I'm the only one but I like the game to be historical when I want it to. At least the ability to lock the game in historical mode. No, not the silly German will surrender in 45 , but at least to keep things from going wild.

Sometimes WE want to be the changing factor instead of every country out there. There is nothing more irritating than when the AI choses a non historical path in an event when you want to play a historical game. Most of the times I quit the game cause, nowadays since HOI2 is stable I barelly have to save. The first thing I do after a patch is to go in the event files and set every A option for the AI to 100% AI chance, including election events. I won't be able to do that anymore

I hope the dynamic politics won't make a historical game impossible or even very unlikely.
    Last edited by Kayapo; 22-11-2008 at 08:48.

Bad mojo Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

I must say it scares me a little to get away from events yet again.
    There are events, see this post

Of course its harder without an event system.

Last time I checked we

a) have a very powerful working event system

b) have repeatedly announced that there will be events and decisions on the same level as HoI2 had.

c) have spent quite a few months designing and implementing events.

I love the changes in the gameplay. The party system, crude oil/fuel, all good.

But i need to see some serious changes too the map. I mean, don't show a screenshot of the map if it isn't finished yet. My country looks horrible.

I like how they added the Waddeneilanden and how they got the city names of regions almost correct.... But come on, forgetting the "afsluitdijk" between Den Helder and Leeuwarden? I would like to give the map designers a bit of information: A big dike that was build between 1927 and 1933 and damming off the "Zuiderzee"(the Southern Sea) too protect Amsterdam from storms. This meant Amsterdam Harbor was also cut off from the open sea so they could only recieve ships from the North Sea canal through the country towards the West coast. a town there with a big harbor and the biggest waterdoors in the world in 1929 called IJmuiden(where i'm from). The region has the name Haarlem correctly over it though, Haarlem is bigger and is the capital of the Province.

The point is the Zuiderzee was cut off from the open sea so no ships(certainly not war vessels) could not pass it to get to open sea. The Dutch navy was located at Rotterdam.

Another major harbor next too Rotterdam was Den Helder. Which you got correct in HOI2.

Den Haag hradly has a harbor.
    The Axis Win AAR (complete) : http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=287716
    Mao Zedong gets the last laugh AAR(complete): http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...73#post7448673
    Mao gets the last laugh again!(complete):http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=333488
    No Thanksgiving for Turkey AAR(abandoned, due to technical issues):http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...44#post9036344

"They're not shooting me for deserting the United States Army -- thousands of guys have done that. They're shooting me for that bread I stole when I was 12 years old" -last words of Private Eddie Slovik January 31st 1945

It's fun that you talk about this considering what they have done to Zeeland...

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

There are events, see this post
    I know there are events. My point was in regards to the election system etc, in that case they are going to develop a different system and get away from event driven elections.

Which is fine, I guess we'll have to wait to see what happens. Events though give you the ability to garantee that things go a historical way, or at least 97% of the time

With a dynamic system we don't know what will happen. It might just turn out that every country gets to 39 with different parties, ideologies and what not.

Personally, I wouldn't like to not be able to ally to the historical Axis minors because one went communist and the other two are now isolationist democracies, but that might just be me.

As I said before it is fun to be the deciding factor and the changing force in the game. If everyone is a changing force it loses interest to me, again that might just be me.

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandGettysburgHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron CrossKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2March of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldStarvoidVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    Hearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of Nations500k club

Do Paradox need help with the smaller nations? I mean it is probably not so easy to dig up party names for minors. (to be honest I know very few party names for Hungary myself, but at least I know I can dig up the important ones).
    Game Developer East vs West - Softcoding Team / Research Apps. / The Map 1
    Arsenal of Democracy Technical Team Mod2
    Hungarian leaders for HoI2 3 / Hungarian Improvement for HoI34

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    East India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Pride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Awesome addition, though I hope there'll be an option to keep a little bit of historicalness that allow WW2 to be played (at least from the date you pick) as it was. I suppose that all these pretty things will be modable isn't it ? What about ministers ? Do you plan to keep them, pictures & personal profile ? will they be part of a party now and able to integrate collation government depending of their parties alliances ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast