• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
aartitlebarfinalyu1.png

Part Thirty-six
A Rising Star

__________________________________________________________________________________________

By the summer of 1551 the Ottoman Empire was finally beginning to bring its considerable strength to bear on its enemies. The Imperial Army, the largest body of the Turkish military and possessing its greatest concentration of professional janissaries, had finally reached the threatened Crimean region. However, their long trek up the Black Sea coast had left them is a state of disarray. Arriving in long, stretched out columns the Turkish soldiers were in no state to fight the Russians. One of the Padishah’s ministers wrote that it was “[a] terrible sight, such disorder from amongst the guardsmen of the Sultan’s own house” and how upset it left Ali.

Padishah Ali was not the military commander that his forbearers had been; unlike earlier Sultans he had no experience campaigning and lacked a more subtle grasp of military strategy. Unwilling to take to the field without his entire compliment of soldiers he demurred from action for weeks, letting the Tsar’s forces raid and pillage throughout northern Crimea. By the time the Padishah finally gave the orders to march it was fall and the infamous “rasputitsa” had turned the Crimea into a muddy quagmire that slowed the Turks to a crawl.

AAR091551.png

In Russia Tsar Ivan IV waited patiently for his opponent to come to him, leaving his light cavalry to raid and harass the Ottomans while he concentrated his forces. Instead of allowing his soldiers to get worn out besieging the larger Turkish fortresses further inside the Crimea he kept them rested and fresh, knowing the real danger was not in knocking down walls but instead it was the Padishah’s armies. The Tsar’s attack was finally launched late in the fall, his armies falling upon the tired and disorganized Ottoman’s in a masterful campaign that saw thousands of Turks slain as they struggled in the deep mud.

Realizing that to continue the campaign would be a disaster, Padishah Ali ordered his armies to return to their camps at Kefe. Tsar Ivan was left in complete control of northern Crimea, but the thick mud that had aided him in besting the Ottoman’s ended up costing him true victory when unable to properly pursue the retreating Turks. Thus the forces of the Padishah were able to escape and regroup in the relative safety of the Crimean Peninsula, bloody but intact.

Further disaster struck the Ottoman Empire to the south when Persian armies overran the depleted Turkish forces garrisoned in Iraq, their commander having severely underestimated the size of the Persian force opposing him. Yet again, the Ottoman Empire was saved from complete disaster by a failure to pursue when the undisciplined Persians took to pillaging the newly conquered towns, giving the Turks the time to escape up the Euphrates and into Syria.

AAR101551.png

The Persians then settled down into camps in Iraq, using the two mighty rivers of the Euphrates and Tigris to guard their flanks from any Turkish attacks. Deciding to consolidate their hold the Persians began serious siege efforts on the last few Ottoman fortresses still intact, confident they would be able to hold onto the region and force the Padishah to come to terms. This would be a grand error on the part of the Persians, who were not aware that Ali had dispatched a large contingent of his armies across Anatolia before leaving for the Crimea. Meeting up with the survivors from Iraq these two bodies of soldiers would be free to invade Persian lands while the Persians were busy with their sieges.

AAR111551.png

While disaster seemed to be looming from every corner of the Empire, in the southern reaches of the Arabian Peninsula there would be a bright ray of hope. Marching from Muscat the Portuguese had invaded neighboring Mahra and took the lightly defended region swiftly. Flush with success they continued their advance along the coast until they reached the massive fortress protecting the important trading port of Al Mukalla. Initially the fortress had been a small portion of the cities walls, but the Ottoman’s had greatly expanded the edifice during the previous years to turn it into their major garrison south of Mecca. Its walls mounted a score of cannon and sheltered a few hundred soldiers and twice their number in militia.

AAR121551.png

Opposing the Portuguese commander was the governor Cihangir Pargali, a Turk who had been given the position after the Ottoman conquest and the subsequent removal of the Yemen monarchy. Pargali had reacted swiftly to the news of the advancing Europeans; conscripting hundreds of citizens to fill out the ranks of his force while others took to stockpiling food and water for the coming siege before filling in all the wells outside the walls and burning all farms within riding distance. By the time the Portuguese reached Al Mukalla, Pargali had turned the city into a formidable obstacle in the center of a ring of desolation.

AAR141551.png

AAR181552.png

Al Mukalla was a critical objective for the Portuguese commander, its port needed to allow Portuguese ships to resupply the army. Already low on supplies after their earlier sieges the Portuguese were desperate to take the city fast, but were repulsed time and time again by the large quantity of cannon the Turk’s had at their disposal, outranging the smaller pieces the Portuguese had brought with them. While the Portuguese were reduced to eating their horses, the guns of the fortress kept Portuguese ships from enforcing a complete blockade that allowed small vessels to sneak into the city with supplies and armaments.

AAR191552.png

The siege would last all summer before the Portuguese, most of their army lost to thirst and hunger, were eventually forced to pull back and seek an easier target. But by then it was already too late. The delay of the siege had given a large contingent of cavalry from Egypt time to reach the city and they fell upon the retreating Portuguese with abandon. Those that could waded out into the ocean to try and swim to the distant ships anchored out of cannon range or fled on horseback, but the bulk of the Portuguese force was destroyed in a short, bloody battle.

- Johannes Krieger, The Sublime State: A History of The Ottoman Empire; vol. 1

I'm just now seeing this AAR and have a lot of catching up to do.

I read your latest post, and it seems you have quite the challenge on your hands. Good luck!

Looks like a tough war - as expected.

The Portuguese seem to be the first to really blunder though, so that frees up some effort for the Ottomans.

I'm just now seeing this AAR and have a lot of catching up to do.

I read your latest post, and it seems you have quite the challenge on your hands. Good luck!

Happy to have written something you are interested in reading!

And yeah, it is pretty challenging. Especially considering its a Magna Mundi game, so thats an added challenge as well.

Punish the foes and take their lands!

At this point I am just hoping to hold onto what I have. My next update should talk about the end of the war, but I also need to cover the growing number of revolts against (rightful) Ottoman rule.

Onward Ottoman Empire! Show those European that no one messes with the Sultan.

It would be a whole lot easier if I didn't have a Monarch with a military rating of 4!

Of course, I am being aided by the fact that the war has been fought on my turf. Say hello to attrition!

Looks like a tough war - as expected.

The Portuguese seem to be the first to really blunder though, so that frees up some effort for the Ottomans.

Yeah, I definitely lucked out when I managed to defeat the main Portuguese force in the south there. The Yemen region is not the most loyal to the Sultan and I could I'll afford to have the region fall to rebels and Europeans.

In the end you'll have to make concessions in the northern frontier, as the Russian push becomes stronger, though not necessarily in this war. Portuguese and Persians, on the other hand, should pay for their insolence :D

Great update!

Thanks!

In the end you'll have to make concessions in the northern frontier, as the Russian push becomes stronger, though not necessarily in this war. Portuguese and Persians, on the other hand, should pay for their insolence :D

Have you been reading ahead? :p

ah, AI (Portugal) proved again it can't plan a war well; i feel sorry foe them :p
but of course it leaves you with one power to fight less (considering Portugal's abbysmal manpower, they shouldn't be showing up again)

Yeah my only saving grace is Portugal's low manpower reserves. But considering that they can land their troops at will on my cut off islands or along my coast, its not to much of an advantage considering both Persia and Russia have massive pools to draw upon.

aartitlebarfinalyu1.png

Part Thirty-seven
A Victory, a Loss, and a Return to the Status Quo

With the defeat of Portugal’s invasion force in Yemen and Persia’s reluctance to advance further than Iraq, 1552 had brought some stability to the war for the Turks. Yemen and Egypt were secure from further attacks by the efforts of Cihangir Pargali Pasha, who now utilized his remaining forces to march to the relief of the Ottoman ally of Tunisia. Meanwhile Ottoman forces in Syria were regrouping for a counter-attack to force the Persians to fall back to protect their own heartland.

AAR241552.png

Having lost a majority of their colonial forces in Yemen, King John III redirected his forces to try and attack at the periphery of the Ottoman realm where their naval supremacy would help ensure no further military disasters. The bulk of Turkish efforts were already directed against the Russians and Persians, leaving just local militias and allied Arab and Bedouin tribes to contest the Portuguese forces. Tunisia, a North African vassal of the Ottoman Empire, became the focus of the Portuguese military campaign.

For King John III, Tunisia represented the best chance to gain something from the war by securing further colonies in Africa. Utilizing the important port city of Tunis, the Portuguese could cut off the Barbary States from the financial and military support provided by Constantinople. Without Turkish gold they would be easy pickings for the Iberian nations and would remove the threat that the Barbary corsairs posed to Christian trade in the Mediterranean. So in late 1552 the Portuguese invaded Tunisia, quickly securing the outer regions while besieging the capital of Tunis.

AAR231552.png

The Bey of Tunisia Muhammad III begged Padishah Ali for financial aid, needing the money to pay for the support of the different tribes and to keep his own men fighting the European invaders. Ali agreed to finance the Bey’s military until Pargali’s relief force could reach Tunis, not willing to suffer the shame of allowing another ‘Crusader’ state to be founded with dominion over Muslim lands.

AAR201552.png

A hasty force of Bedouin cavalry, Norman mercenaries from Sicily, and conscripted Arabs were formed in Tripoli and marched to the aid of the besieged Bey. This incident came to prominence in 1824 with the publication of The War in the Desert by Albert Godwin, a fictionalized account based off the diary of one of the Italian mercenaries. It is a very colourful tale, but outside the scope of this book.

To the east the Persians were slow to react to the growing threat the Ottoman army posed. With their failure to fully destroy the forces that had opposed them in Iraq the Persians let the survivors regroup with the larger Army of Anatolia, the second in size only to the Imperial Army headed by the Sultan himself. Instead of marching into Iraq where the Persians had been fortifying themselves for months, the Turks instead marched east to invade Armenia and the mountainous regions of northern Persia.

The land was harsh and widely considered incapable of supporting large numbers of soldiers and thus had not been heavily garrisoned by the ruling Safavid monarchs. Traditional thinking held that any Ottoman invasion of Persia would have to be based from Iraq, taking the route down the Euphrates and Tigris Rivers to ensure supplies and sustenance for the soldiers. Thus the Persians had given the initiative to the Turks, confident they would have to come to them.

AAR221552.png

Separating into smaller corps the Ottomans crossed the mountains of Armenia, overwhelming the surprised defenders without serious opposition. By the late spring of 1552 the Persians were in a panic as Ottoman soldiers came out of the Caucasus Mountains and into the lower plains, placing themselves between the Persian armies in Iraq and the rich heartland of Persia. The Ottoman plan worked flawlessly: the Persian Shah was forced to recall his soldiers from Iraq to keep the Turks from sacking the capital of Isfahan, thus relinquishing his conquered territory without a fight. By the end of the summer the Persians had settled into a de facto peace with the Ottomans, the Shah fearful of letting his armies leave their interior positions for fear of Turks coming down from the mountains.

While the war against the Portuguese was tuning in favour of the Ottomans and the Persians remained unwilling to aggressively engage their old Turkish foes, the Russians were still pressing their advantages. Tsar Ivan IV was quick to follow up his successes against Padishah Ali by seizing as much Crimean land as he could before the Ottomans could attempt a second campaign. The main goal of the Tsar’s invasion was the important fortress city of Kharkov. Over 20,000 Russian soldiers were engaged in the siege under Ivan IV’s personal supervision.

AAR211552.png

Just to the Russian’s south, the Padishah sat in the Crimean Peninsula with his armies for the rest of the summer. During the entire time his armies only made small movements to keep the Russians from invading down the Black Sea coat and into Bulgaria. From the surviving private correspondence amongst Ali’s generals it is clear that the Sultan’s earlier defeat at the hands of the Russians had destroyed the monarch’s will to contest the field. He would not order his soldiers to march to the relief of Kharkov for fear of another loss.

AAR251552.png

Unwilling to seek out battle but unable to disengage for fear of losing all of the Crimea to the Russians, the Padishah lingered in the region. By 1553 the garrison of Kharkov finally capitulated to the Russians, Tsar Ivan IV leading his troops into the city on the first day of April. With his men exhausted from the numerous sieges and facing an Ottoman force of greater size and technological ability, the Tsar sent out diplomats to settle a peace with the Turks. While the Persians and Portuguese had both been fought to a standstill and gained nothing from the war, the Russians expanded south, annexing most of northern Crimea but leaving them lacking the Black Sea port that would come to dominate Russia’s foreign policy goals of later centuries.

- Johannes Krieger, The Sublime State: A History of The Ottoman Empire; vol. 1

Good. As long as Russia has no Black Sea navy you can stop them...and their Persian alliance won't last forever, I imagine.

But there will be fallout from this.

Everything considered this is not that bad. Now you can send the Sultan to Persia or portugal and regain some of what you lost against the Russians.

you gave up FOUR provs?! i agree Bogutjar and Kharkov are not rich provs, but Tambov and Voronezh have potential (even though they're nomadic)
aren't you afraid this will embolden Russia?
is it a sign of weakness other powers (Austria) will want to take advantage of?
and the war is not over yet...

Good. As long as Russia has no Black Sea navy you can stop them...and their Persian alliance won't last forever, I imagine.

But there will be fallout from this.

Oh there will. This is the first significant Ottoman loss since Timur the Lame in the 14th century.

Everything considered this is not that bad. Now you can send the Sultan to Persia or portugal and regain some of what you lost against the Russians.

Exactly. Although Persia, with its strong military and Shiite lands, are not as attractive as the Portuguese colonies in Arabia.

How ever did I miss this gem?
Subscribed! :D

Glad to have you aboard!

you gave up FOUR provs?! i agree Bogutjar and Kharkov are not rich provs, but Tambov and Voronezh have potential (even though they're nomadic)
aren't you afraid this will embolden Russia?
is it a sign of weakness other powers (Austria) will want to take advantage of?
and the war is not over yet...

Yes, it is a very significant loss. But the Ottomans were on the back foot the entire war. Combined with Ali's timid conduct during the war, and its no wonder that the Russians made significant gains.

As to the Austrians, I think they are not too concerned with the Ottomans as of yet because Hungary still acts as a border state between the two. Of course, that will all change in the future. . .

Fool! :eek:
Reconquer those provinces asap! :eek:

Gah! Yes master!

I thought you'd cede one, two provinces at the most to Russia, but four?! :eek:

I point to Ali's incompetence as the root of my problems. :D

Fantastic

Yay Russia!!

Traitorous swine!

While I read much moaning and groaning in the comments over the provinces you ceded to Russia, your losses to them were rather few and costless. The Crimea, as far as my geographical knowledge is concerned, is rather worthless, aside from the coastal, Black Sea provinces. Then again, that way you could argue that they make great buffers between Russia and your Black Sea provinces, but that's besides the point.

The provinces you could obtain from Persia and Portugal, combined, will be far more valuable than the ones lost to Russia: so, doing the math, its worth getting the bear of the back for now, if you can go ahead and just outright beat the living tar out of those Portuguese SOBs, and those Persian heretics.

Though, from this experience, I do expect the Empire to take a sudden and renewed interest in its naval capacities: while it would be hard to expect that you'll have to fight Portugal again in the future, the possibility of coming up against other major naval powers must always be taken into consideration. Your land army is great, but without the navy to cart it around your vast empire, you've basically got bubcuss.

Anyway, good to see you back, and forge on ahead Padishah!