• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
(firefox just crashed on me, after having typed on an update for an hour. I may do this a bit quicker ... :mad:)

Aztec Gold

b8_1_b.jpg

With gold being discovered in the Mixaca region, it was not difficult to persuade Logmar to make an effort in the Aztec war.
EU3_47.jpg

The Aztecs of Mixaca were tough adversaries and Logmar personaly led an army south. One Aztec ally Ute was carved up, Viking League armies flooded the northern border.
What the Aztecs lacked in technology and military quality, they made up with bravoury and sheer savage brutality. The Mixacans twice butchered an army of 10000 proud Vikings, only a few survivors lived to tell the tale.
EU3_56.jpg

EU3_54-1.jpg

The war took five years until in May 1541 a peace was forced on the Mixacan Aztecs.
EU3_63.jpg

On year after the war, Cherokee was incorporated, being unable to meet the demands of the tax collector. Pomo, however, paid a tax worth of 550 ducats.

Logmar had a history of making important decisions, although sometimes being harsh:
EU3_38-1.jpg

EU3_68.jpg

EU3_79.jpg

He died in September 1554, and was succeeded by his 16-year old son Ormur.
EU3_75.jpg

In July 1555, king Ormur went hunting near Bjærnavik near Creek and slightly overdid it. He drank a lot of water from an icecold source and started feeling unwell soon after. By the evening he developed a fever. Four days later he died, within a year of his father's death. His only realisation was the alliance with Gustav III. He even sent the entire fleet to Poland in the Swedish-Polish war to empose a blokkade. Only half of the ships would make it back to Vinborg.
EU3_78.jpg
With no heir for the throne, Logmar had plenty of bastards but only one ligitimate son, a regency council of nobles took the
They were very reluctant to hand over their power to a new king, and in 1561 they reinstated the noble's republic. The public was not amused.
Vinland was devided between monarch-lovers and noble-lovers.
Stability plummeted and uprisings of king-loving subjects sprung up like mushrooms.
EU3_82-1.jpg
Prince-elect Kasper Eriksson had to postpone his inauguration party until after dealing with the unrest.

The members of the Viking league were rather happy with the developement. Logmar was know for his vicious temper and was quite dangerous when being stroked against the direction of the hairs, as Iceland remembers.
Carribean neighbour Castille even offered to ally with the republc. Eriksson accepted.
EU3_81.jpg

This is the situation in 1561:
1561.jpg

Last edited:
Gold Rush

In 1562, one year after the alliance with Castille, Kasper Eriksson’s daughter marries the third son of the Spanish King. With the success against the Aztecs not fully exploited, a friendly neighbour can be valuable.
EU3_90.jpg
Castille had been gaining territory along the coast, and was eying Tairona. Eriksson decided to send in the army to collect taxes before it was too late.
By 1564, half of Tairona was Vinlandic, leaving no border with Castille, ànd in a second conflict, an incredible amount of gold was collected.
EU3_91.jpg
In 1566 the Aztecs were attacked again. Eriksson was well prepared, as he had 35000 troops stationed at Aztec borders. Nonetheless, some 10000 lost their lives.
After two years, the peace of Texcoco demanded another territory grab by Vinland.
EU3_97.jpg

After that, troops were sent south in small divisions, leaving some to quell the revolts of new patriotic dissidents.
In the last decade, Vinlandic coastal traders had established a few trading posts south of the border, and by 1570, most of them were upgraded to fully grown colonies. The system of deporting a few thousand citizens of newly acquired territories surely helped in that aspect.
Unfortunately, The Inca Empire has kept its markets closed for Viking traders, and approximately 39000 men, of which 12000 Vinlandic horsemen, crossed the border, taking whatever they could.
EU3_99-1.jpg
After a few months, the battle of Tumbes set the tone for the rest of the war. Vinland won, but at a great cost. Thousands of people died and had to be replaced.
EU3_100.jpg
Luckily, with the new, densely populated territories of Mixaca, that was not really a problem.
Two years after the start of the war, the Inca leading class converted to Christianity. The somehow acknowledged that their gods had forsaken them, and that the new god of the men of the North was truly a god that guaranteed success.
With that, the Vinland opponents were no longer mere infidels but Christians, that had the right to peace negotiations. Prince Kasper Eriksson died in 1575 and Folkvarthur Sverresson was elected unanimously at the althing. At the Althing, Sverresson had gained full support with his plan for a diplomatic approach towards Europeans.
EU3_111-1.jpg
Six years into the was, in May 1577, the entire empire was under enemy control and Túpac Hualpa IV accepted a peace that would strip him of more than half of the territories he had at the time of the conversion.
EU3_107.jpg

Since the 1550’s several veins of gold were discovered in the Mixaca region, but also in the new Inca region. This attracted a true gold rush, including people from Europe, eluding their grim fates and taking boat trips via Iceland and Grænland towards Vinland and Mixaca.

In the 1580’s technological advance, and espionage had lead to the introduction of Maurician infantry. This concept was imported from the Iberians, and proved to be a lot more effective that the Vikings armed with axes.
EU3_116-1.jpg
In December 1583, an elective Althing was organised to appoint Prince, since Sverresson had died of an infection caused in a fight with rebels.
Baldr Rikardson gained the trust of the Althing, especially the hawks, by wanting to continue the expansion. He received 30 of the 47 votes.
EU3_118-1.jpg
One of the problems was that both Aztecs and Incas had converted to Christianity, which made an attack less supportable. The next was that Aztecs had allied with Castille and Túpac Hualpa IV of the Inca. Luckily Túpac Hualpa IV only had the Aztecs and war was continued in July 1584.
They were both overrun in les that one year, and Castille did not meddle.
EU3_122.jpg
EU3_123.jpg

EU3_MAP_VIN_15851027_1.jpg

good point, although that'll require some modding.
I thought about that, but mexico and peru are a huge source of wealth and manpower which I find hard to just give away.
What areas are you suggesting?

Appoint viceroys (ok, earls) in Mexico and Peru and mod an event, which would make them send you tributes every now and then (in gold of course).

Perhaps you should limit Vinland to the North American eastern seaboard and the Great Lakes region, and leave the rest to your vassals and tributaries.

Appoint viceroys (ok, earls) in Mexico and Peru and mod an event, which would make them send you tributes every now and then (in gold of course).

Perhaps you should limit Vinland to the North American eastern seaboard and the Great Lakes region, and leave the rest to your vassals and tributaries.

Interesting ...

Right now I'm colonising up the west coast, to prevent others from doing that.
I could create a country Mixaca (that's the native name which resulted in mexico, maybe Norsify that a little)
And something for south america. I had planned tha last one, because I'm fighting Amazon tribes (who have saved a lot of money apparantly!) The provinces are poor, it takes two months to travel through, more than enough reasons for a vassal.
I do need a good name for that. and two good pictures that serve as flags.
(I'm actually not very happy with for instance the flag of Vestmanna, it's a double axe, but doesn't look as neat as it should. That stupid tree from Eikland looked a lot better)

Interesting ...

Right now I'm colonising up the west coast, to prevent others from doing that.
I could create a country Mixaca (that's the native name which resulted in mexico, maybe Norsify that a little)
And something for south america. I had planned tha last one, because I'm fighting Amazon tribes (who have saved a lot of money apparantly!) The provinces are poor, it takes two months to travel through, more than enough reasons for a vassal.
I do need a good name for that. and two good pictures that serve as flags.
(I'm actually not very happy with for instance the flag of Vestmanna, it's a double axe, but doesn't look as neat as it should. That stupid tree from Eikland looked a lot better)

Well, in your story the Aztec and Inca adopted Christianity, so you can easily justify giving them a limited autonomy as tributaries/vassals. You could simply use their native names (you're the expert on norsification here :D ) - Mixaca(land) and Inca(land) sound acceptable - and use some native symbols as flags - perhaps with the Nordic cross incorporated into it, somehow.

What about this for the Inca?

images

Well, in your story the Aztec and Inca adopted Christianity, so you can easily justify giving them a limited autonomy as tributaries/vassals. You could simply use their native names (you're the expert on norsification here :D ) - Mixaca(land) and Inca(land) sound acceptable - and use some native symbols as flags - perhaps with the Nordic cross incorporated into it, somehow.

What about this for the Inca?

Good idea, and since I haven't annexed them yet (now they're opms), that's easy to adjust and saves a lot of modding of the savegame that I wasn't looking forward to. This way I can solve it through a simple event, changing their state culture to vinlandic, and manually giving them a new flag. 10 minutes work instead of two hours
Thanks for the flag idea, I'll definately use that.

Wowz, the horde is huge!
But so are you!

you tease :p
Bam! Now that's conquest... :rofl:

thanks, it could have been easier, but I was only using men at arms, so at least that's something. But I've seen far more impressive conquests :)

Oh and another thing, I just saw that Inca, Aztec, and skritikisomthingynative, are allied to portugal. I'm concentrating on catching up naval tech to try and prepare a first war on Europeans.

Last edited: