• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Griffen said:
Is there any possibility of getting a copy of the Vinlander mod? That looks pretty fun.

go to the terra Nova mod thread, it's there,
Although I must warn you, I'm modding a few things along the way, like creating a new jarl, what you see is what will be put up for download in a week or so.
it's like an AAR of a betatesting session :)

Phargle - Thanks, you're most kind!
I am surprised at the effect of it, it turns a one-sided game into something with a lot more depth. Fljótland has even created its own trade center.

Iceland is having trouble btw.
I could create a mission to save them ...
that would mean meddling in Europe ...
How do you feel about that?

Last edited:
Kami said:
Iceland is well known in Europe, and somewhat in the powersphere of europe. Before Vinland gets to reexplore its Viking homeland, then you should stay out of Europe ...

Well, tell that to the Grænlanders ... they're ahead of me. I know about GB-Norway and Meck (taken over Denmark)

Mattabesta - Thanks about the Ormr language note, I'll try and change that aswell in the mod. Can't remember where I got those names ... some website

EDIT:
My future goals (I caught up with the game) are strenghtening my hold on the eastcoast, especially the border with Aztec.
*I don't really care about mid-west skrælings, they only reason I battled them was because they guaranteed other skrælings that got in my way.
(cause of death? got in my way ...)
*I'm after the Aztec gold, but they've almost united northern central america. That'll test my strength
*I'm after rich Island colonies, although leaving them for Europeans makes things more interesting later. At some point I'll need a border in order to westernise
*I'll leave inland colonisation over to the League

Last edited:
Urcules said:
Well, tell that to the Grænlanders ... they're ahead of me. I know about GB-Norway and Meck (taken over Denmark)

Mattabesta - Thanks about the Ormr language note, I'll try and change that aswell in the mod. Can't remember where I got those names ... some website

EDIT:
My future goals (I caught up with the game) are strenghtening my hold on the eastcoast, especially the border with Aztec.
*I don't really care about mid-west skrælings, they only reason I battled them was because they guaranteed other skrælings that got in my way.
(cause of death? got in my way ...)
*I'm after the Aztec gold, but they've almost united northern central america. That'll test my strength
*I'm after rich Island colonies, although leaving them for Europeans makes things more interesting later. At some point I'll need a border in order to westernise
*I'll leave inland colonisation over to the League

your native american tech group????????????????????
at least have yourself in the eastern tech group.

demokratickid said:
That's one interesting looking world you've got there, and an odd shaped Poland... :D

in comparison to Lucky Austria?
no srsly do they get a special only for the hasburgs bonus on inheriting things?

in one of my games they inherited 6 cuntries and it's only 1600, one of them was Pskov.

Mattabesta said:
no srsly do they get a special only for the hasburgs bonus on inheriting things?

in one of my games they inherited 6 cuntries and it's only 1600, one of them was Pskov.

Really? That's quite an odd inheritance ratio... Well, they always look weird anyway... :D

Mattabesta said:
No, but they get +3 diplomacy for all their rulers from the Hapburg Dominance national decision, which helps them marry, diplovassalize, and diploannex their way to victory.

Urcules said:
Well, tell that to the Grænlanders ... they're ahead of me.

I'm no surprised. They have just voted for more autonomy from Denmark this week IRL. Jarl formation is still very much in fashion in the 21st century :)

Good job consolidating the east coast so quickly... and good luck with the Aztecs!

Something in between
or how the Miðvestr was won

To answer quickly: without much ado.
(author's note: don't want to waste too much time on useless descriptions and screens of cakewalk wars with skræling minors)

By 1515, near the end of Folkvarthur, he hadn't completely conquered skræling territory to the west of the Viking league, but the threath was surely non-existent. Vestmanna had gained much territory in order to be able to buffer any future aggression from the skræling side. Along the process Vinland was enriched by extorting money from the skræling tribes.

The in the ocean east of the Atabær Bay were taken; some were donated to the poorer jarls of Markland and Grænland, in order to build up a little economic strength so they could mean more to the Viking League.
Fljótland had invested in a trade center and was economically speaknig the richest of the jarls.
Eikland was given some newer settlements on the western border of main Vinland, right into former Shawnee territory.
In the process, Vinland learned much from diplomatic missions to the islands taken by Castillians. With these new neighbours, and more knowledge about the old continent, the Viking League was catching up with European nations and was soon considered an equal by nations like Castille, Portugal, Great Britain of France.
Thus everyone in the Viking League had grown stronger in the past decennia. None the less, there seemed to be a crack in the ceiling. Folkvarthr had a son, who was 15 years old and seemed to be predestined to be the next Prince and overlord. However, when Folkvarthr was seriously ill in the winter of 1514, none of the jarls seemed to agree with this seemingly hereditary advantage of the Prince's relatives.
Luckily Folkvarthr recovered, but the crack would only get bigger ...
Trouble would be inevitable at the next elective alþing.

Map1515wrapped.jpg

Last edited:
or how the Miðvestr was won

Now you're just showing off. :)

If these Vikings are of the Icelandic variety, the Althing may see a ceremonial drowning of the old Jarl to make way for the new one. Or was that a Scandinavian thing? In any case, Heaven help the sick man if they use the traditional "convenient, nearby river" ballot box.

phargle said:
Now you're just showing off. :)

If these Vikings are of the Icelandic variety, the Althing may see a ceremonial drowning of the old Jarl to make way for the new one. Or was that a Scandinavian thing? In any case, Heaven help the sick man if they use the traditional "convenient, nearby river" ballot box.

huhuhu showing off, yeah well, it was a session that was interupted a lot, didn't do much substantial a part from one thing.
I played with Eikland for one year so they'd finally start colonising their surroundings. Poor decision that was.
Vinland had a 5000+ reserve in cash before the operation, the moment I returned I didn't notice it immediately that I was losing money big time and boom, I've 648 ducat loan to deal with. The ai built temples in the rest of my provinces (I had been building like a few dozen every couple of years.) Wasn't much to write about as I was taking care of finances. Oh, and I had to get rid of hordes of 'native american archers' that the ai ordered instead of men at arms.

that really pissed me off, (excuse the french) but it does make things for Vinland less easy as they have less reserve to fall back on. In case of war now, they just can't build 40 regiments without massive inflation because of minting. (manpower is now 46k-ish)

About the election, that's a very interesting point you've made there... If he dies of natural causes, do they still get to throw him into the river.
Suppose he dies of a cardial arrest minutes before they get to throw him in, why, that would just spoil the fun for everyone :D