• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
New viking cultures?

How good is comunication between the different parts of the realm?
Shouldnt isolated areas get less influence from the capital and evolve their own regional cultures?
This could make it more difficult to unite the jarls with the principality/kingdom.
It would take some generations though.

Kami - Thanks for the complement, but I just cut them out of the EU3 screenshot :rolleyes:
And no, love slaughtering them, they keep nice cash reserves.

Racil - hmm interesting point you're making about shifting cultures, but I reckon it's about the same thing with medieval France or presentday US.
In medieval France, aproximately 10 different languages were spoken, And during the first crusade for example, it was well clear that the French from the North liek Godfrey of Bouillon and those of the south, Provence, like Raymond of Toulouse, never really got along. Still, they were all french.

Most Americans have different background, as do the Vinlanders, moved (deported in our case) from all over the place, still, they're all Americans.

Now Danish, Norwegian and Swedish are different but all Scandinavian. I've put Vinlandic (and Icelandic) in the Scandinavian culture group, making a new group would be a bit harder for me to mod, but also I'd lose that special relationship with Scandinavia ...

Aldriq- Thanks for your interest, I like it too, more than I'd anticipated in fact. For any real intrigue I'll have to mod a few more events. (any ideas, let me know) When I put skræling territory into jarls, their culture and religion changes to the state one quite quickly, which is an unexpected plus, and is actually a very good reason for doing it, it makes it historically (well, we ARE talking about Vinland, so the word historically is a bit iffy) more plausible. I'd create more, but creating one takes a lot of effort modding the file, but also the savegame unfortunately.

demokratickid - their deadliest weapon, surprise and fear ... TWO deadliest weapons, surprise, fear and violence ... (or something like that) and so on
again congratulations to you for the award, and thanks for your kind words at the award ceremony.

Mattabesta said:
can you get us a map of how things are in Europe?

Vinlanders don't know how things are in Europe - they have little contact with it :p

Rastar said:
This continues to be quite interesting!

Did you mod any of the logic around vassals rebelling against overlords? Curious what Eikland might be thinking...

maybe ... :D
that's something for later

Mattabesta - I'll take a screenie next time, Iceland is pretty isolated by the way, splendid isolation, no one cares about them, they are pretty happy on their own. Which of course explains the isolation.
I would like them to drag me into some scnadinavian conflict though :)

Should I explore Norway and beyond, you think?

Urcules said:
demokratickid - their deadliest weapon, surprise and fear ... TWO deadliest weapons, surprise, fear and violence ... (or something like that) and so on
again congratulations to you for the award, and thanks for your kind words at the award ceremony.

Yay! Deadly weapons! :D And, thank you! If it weren't for you, I would have never recieved such an honor! :D

This is an excellent AAR. Very original, very interesting, very nice work.

I cant wait for the first war within the League! :cool:

The Great War

Ormur wanted to make the most of his election straight away and declared war upon Lenape. They had slipped throught the maze of diplomacy before, but this time would be different.

After beating Lenape's main force, the Viking League took care of the rest.
EU3_35.jpg
What Ormur didn’t take into account was that Lenape had some powerful friends. Sioux in the west and Shawnee, Cherokee and Creek joined the war against the Viking League.

Ormur sent 8000 men south to take over the Creek provinces along the coast, but soon the army was fighting 25000 skrælings. After returning for recruits, Ormur sent them away again, and this time they never returned.

Fljótland lost a few men in pitched battles against the Lenape, and Lenape were able to recover somewhat. With lifted spirits they invaded Vinland, quite successfully.
EU3_37-1.jpg
It took until September 1468, when Eikland had conquered Lenape and Vinland had recovered lost territories, for a peace to be signed. Lenape gave up two thirds of their territory and treasure in gold and silver worth 875 ducats.

The route to the south was cleared and an offensive was planned. Ormur had experienced that the Cherokee-Shawnee-Creek had worked together to fend of any invasion from the south, through Creek. He tried a northern approach but there wasn’t much better news from the Shawnee front.
EU3_44.jpg
Ormur decided to accept a rather humiliating peace offer from Cherokee and paid 25 ducats to get them out of the war. What Ormur didn’t know was that by doing that he had an extra ally.
Shawnee continued helping out Creek against Vinland and Fljótland attacks. The League troops were pushed in the defensive and hunted down. A few were able to board Vinland ships but thousands died during the 1469-1470 campaign.
EU3_50.jpg
EU3_51.jpg
EU3_52.jpg

Along the coast supply settlements were constructed to allow a better coordinated and organised attack.

Shawnee thought that the worst was over and decided to offer a white peace. In fact they were more afraid of their southern neighbours Cherokee. They had already left the war but were looking to take on their former allies instead of the Viking League.
This could hardly be called a success by Prince Ormur, but it certainly helped his case. The chances were turning and Creek was now unable to stop the influx of troops.
EU3_54.jpg
With the sieges of Creek territory well underway, the Cherokee showed their true, backstabbing nature in September 1473.
EU3_57.jpg

By April 1474, the southern front was closed as Creek was completely defeated and probably heartbroken.
EU3_60.jpg
Cherokee felt all powerful and attacked Shawnee. In a few years they would annex Shawnee. Although they were stronger themselves, their early exit out of the war and the destruction of their once-allies had helped the Viking League gain a foothold in the south, and thàt would eventually be the doom of Cherokee itself.

On the northern front the Sioux had seized a Fljótland colony and taken over Ojibwa (former Chippewa, now Fljótland.)
With the full might of the Viking league now concentrated at the Sioux tribes, it only took until September 1475 to agree on a cease-fire.
EU3_70.jpg

Ormur spent the next few years conquering the remains of Lenape en Creek, taking on Arapaho and looting tons of gold, silver and other valuables from minor tribes on the western border of the Vinlandic known spectrum.

Unaware of the growing might of the Viking League, Cherokee decided to play its last trumps and made a bold move.
EU3_99.jpg

With the Vinlandic now stronger than ever, Cherokee did not win one confrontation and since the Viking League helped take over every Cherokee territory, the short and brutal war was in fact just a one way war of conquest in which the defender became the conqueror.
In August 1487, Cherokee was completely plucked like a clok-lok (a native walking bird that made a clok-clok sound and looked a bit like a big chicken)
EU3_103.jpg
Besides the war Ormur took the overall state of his empire very seriously. Deportations were organised systematic, as with every conquest, men were killed or put in the army, families were relocated, women were given to retiring veterans and a mass of young children were taken away from home and given a Vinlandic upbringing. New settlements were thriving because of these policies.
EU3_82.jpg
(every non-vinlandic province owned by the Viking League gets an event that moved some people around to random provinces (since 1464))

Expanding all along the coastline, explorers eventually came across skrælings that were nothing like there more northern counterparts. The Aztec Empire had huge cities unlike any Vinlanders had ever seen before. It seemed like streets were paved with gold and every child had toys of gold instead of wood to play with. They were friendly and suggested cooperation. Completely in awe, the Vinlanders accepted.
EU3_101.jpg

In 1488 Ormur died, having expanded and enriched the Viking League immensely, and because of the great turmoil all around the realm, the nobles agreed on electing Håkon VII of Grænland as Prince. He had been Jarl of Grænland since 1456 and his experience would help bring stability to the League.
In order to control the western border and develop the new territories, he whole area and title was given to the highest bidding noble, who would become Jarl of Vestmanna, vassal of Vinland and member of the Viking League.
EU3_106.jpg

Only two years after his election, the honourable Håkon died and his nephew, son of Ormur Folkvarthr was named Prince-for-life, prince of Vinland, overlord of Markland, Grænland, Eikland, Fljótland and Vestmanna and the Viking League, Folkvarthr VII.
EU3_111.jpg

This is the map Eigill Skallagimsson made in 1490. He would die not much later, some say of grief over the war Iceland had been in with Mecklenburg and Sweden. The island had been looted more than once and many members of his family didn’t survive the war.
Map1490.jpg

Last edited: