• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Urcules said:
mod :D
btw I named Iceland Ísland on the map, because that's what I think they name their own country. They have an icelandic cartographer you know :)

Hm, that's funny, it's called "Island" in Czech too - we probably learned the right name directly from the Scandinavians ;)

Anyway, I am downloading your Vinland mod right now to give it a try and I hope for more updates when I get back ( :D )

Winner said:
Hm, that's funny, it's called "Island" in Czech too - we probably learned the right name directly from the Scandinavians ;)

Anyway, I am downloading your Vinland mod right now to give it a try and I hope for more updates when I get back ( :D )

be careful to use the right version of TN (8.48) and IN (3.0)
You're downloading the mod from my first AAR. Enjoy! I know I did.
Thanks for the interest!

Right now I'm playing TN 8.56, IN 3.1 and a new Vinland mod, which is NOT uploaded anywhere...
(I'm working on it)

Urcules said:
be careful to use the right version of TN (8.48) and IN (3.0)
You're downloading the mod from my first AAR. Enjoy! I know I did.
Thanks for the interest!

Right now I'm playing TN 8.56, IN 3.1 and a new Vinland mod, which is NOT uploaded anywhere...
(I'm working on it)

Ouch, thanks for the warning. Will it crash or something with the newer versions?

Urcules said:
hm, let me know if it doesn't. It just might work, I don't know actually.

I didn't crash, but there were graphic bugs, wrong province names etc. I'll have to wait until you finish the new version :)

Urcules said:
That explains the 'mysterious' change in spelling on Vinlandic maps! If you want a name that sound a bit more icelandic, just let me know :)

i'll do that

also plz use Eigill Skallagimsson or Gunnar frá hlíðarenda, both were Icelandic warriors the former a viking ugly brute( no srsly paintings of him are just uncomfertable to look at)
while the latter was tall, blond and perfectly unbeatable in battle and chivalry.
they can be immagrants :)

Egilll Skallagrímsson owned LOTS of gold from plundering Britain and he buried it in a hill, wich happens to be the same I live on( better start digging)

Urcules said:
working on it right now, maybe 24 hours, and you'll have it.

Great :D

Native and Nativity

Within a year of the Jarl’s party at Eigur, capital of Eikland, an all skræling alliance declared war and ransacked the area. Luckily the huge lonely centuries old oak tree, the symbol of the duchy was still standing.
Jarl Olav fled north and sent heralds to call for help from Markland and Vinland. Prince Sigurd had already headed south to counterattack the Mohawk that had seized Kvívik.
When besieging the Mohawk, the Huron had ransacked not only Eigur but also Kvívik, which left Sigurd surpassed and vulnerable. In the south the Iroquois tribe had taken control over Fellbær.
EU3_6.jpg
Huron warriors tried to break the siege on numerous occasions. By late 1441 the Prince was forced to back out and resupply, and with some reinforcements a few minor battles against the Huron were won, enough to secure Eikland. After the winter of 1443 the Prince took his forces to Hæðstaður and Fellbær, because the Iroquois tribe was wrecking havoc in southeast Vinland. Markland Vikings were reinitiating the Mohawk siege. Chief ‘Wise Beaver’ of the Iroquois was beaten, twice, with his entire war party slaughtered. He had retreated home after the first battle, near Hæðstaður, and beaten again in his own backyard.
EU3_9-1.jpg
EU3_11-1.jpg
During the war, tensions rose up high back home as most people grew suspicious of foreigners, suspecting spies. It came to trials of true inquisition one might have thought, and many were christened by the sword rather than by reason.
EU3_8.jpg
Meanwhile, northern colonies had been suffering from plundering Chippewa.
Fljótbær was in trouble, although a 1000 supporting Grænland troops came to their rescue and Bjærnavik was seized. The Chippewa took on Nunavik and besieged Markland. 2000 horsemen from Ostr Vinland took the route to Bjærnavik through the barren Skalí land and relieved the settlers. After that they headed south to pressure the Chippewa capital. In May the Chippewa suggested a peace and smoking on it, which was something Vinlanders hadn’t seen before.
EU3_10-1.jpg
In July 1445 Mohawk was finally incorporated and with that, in 1446, it was just down to Huron and Iroquois.
EU3_13-1.jpg
‘Wise Beaver’s warriors had all been slaughtered or routed, and a few thousand men were sieging his territories. With the last one concluded in May 1447, the new troops from the Iroquois front were able turn the Huron front into an aggressive one, instead of a defensive one. The Viking League push the 9000 Huron skrælings west, as 2000 Markland troops and 800 Eikland men laid a cordon around the Huron settlements. It would take almost two years to fully destroy the Huron intensions of taking control over the continent at the expense of European (not so) newcomers.
Peace with both Huron and Iroquois was plain extortion of riches and stripping of valuable land. People were moved around like cattle all over the Vinlandic region.
EU3_14-1.jpg

In 1451, the northern colonies seemed impossible to govern and again, Sigurd followed earlier examples and sold them to a noble hungry for more power. No lack of them.
EU3_15-1.jpg
To make sure he wouldn’t make the same mistake as with Eikland, he made sure the Fljótland was given a bit of a push in the back by donating some neighbouring territories as part of the deal.
Eikland was given the former Huron territories, and the Iroquois lands were kept by Vinland.

As the threat of an invasion was still there, jarl Olav of Eikland insisted on continuing the offensive against the skrælings. Sigurd, by then an old man, took up arms in April 1456. Chippewa was invaded immediately from its Eikland border, while the diminished regional powers of Huron and Iroquois were under siege in a matter of months by the Viking league, unable to withstand the greater numbers. Also, the military reforms, an idea that blew over from ally Iceland had an effect. (nfta: Men at arms), had not missed its effect. Chippewa paid to get the Vikings off its back. The plan worked, but only for five years.
EU3_19-1.jpg
EU3_20-1.jpg
It took five years to fully take over the whole region and put it under Vinlandic control. Now, after the loot had been devided, the Viking league had 5 members and one partner (Iceland or Ísland). With Vinland being the strong leader of the pack, Eikland had become without a doubt the strongest servant, Markland and Fljótland had a decent size and Grænland seemed like a bit of a pushover. Like the boy that’s always right behind a bully, only waving a fist whenever the bully has made a threat. Nonetheless, Jarls Håkon of Grænland was an esteemed guest at any get-together, not only because of his military capacities. From all known sources it seemed Sigurd and he were personal friends as well.

Sigurd died as a 73-year old king, albeit that he was only a Prince by name.
He put Håkon’s first born son in his will as his first choice of successor, since he had never married. Håkon’s second of three sons would then rule Grænland afeter Håkon’s death.

At the alÞingi of 1464, Ormur was accepted and inaugurated as Prince-for-life, prince of Vinland, overlord of Markland, Grænland, Eikland and Fljótland and the Viking League, Ormr VII.
EU3_25.jpg

Map1464-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nordic presence in America is growing fast. Are your vassals converting the ex-skraeling provinces?

enewald- It's Lenape, the one skræling nation with more brains than brawl, they decided to stay out of the conflicts. O and It looks like there's one part I forgot to color in. It's just unclaimed territory
It'll come to them, I'm sure.

Winner - Having the vassals has benefits, religion is spreading a lot faster, as is the VInlandic culture

I much prefer this method of playing EU3; single handed, ultra rapid, world conquest gets a wee bit dull after a while. I dare say this makes for a more interesting AAR to boot.

It's been a fun read so far. Cheers!

Rabid Bogling said:
I much prefer this method of playing EU3; single handed, ultra rapid, world conquest gets a wee bit dull after a while. I dare say this makes for a more interesting AAR to boot.

It's been a fun read so far. Cheers!

Thanks a lot, although it's not that rapid playing, twenty years of play and then taking three times the allocated time for that and use it for making a story around it, and the map.
Welcome btw

Sweboy - You're right, I'll try and edit that

Enewald and others, I've updated the map and corrected a few errors, like coloring, and added the Lenape reference with a tag, and updated the Vinland tag to something more fancy.