• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
so, let's pick up where we left it. as I said Someone was pissing me off in the game raising my WE without any obvious reason, left the game for a week or so, played a unite-the-inca game, some teutons, and now back to Vinland

Update pending, just finished the map, one of my own favourites, if I might add.

map1672copy.jpg

Les bricoleurs de Vinlande: prelude

By 1672, France had quite a few possessions in the far west, across the Great Ocean. (Europeans use the term far east).
Most of them were undefended islands, a few unfortified regions in Terra Australis, and both sides of the Malayan Channel, including the trade centre.

Somewhere in the 1670's, some petty argument in a secret society of which there are close to no records at all lead to a war between Mamluk Egypt, the Timurid Empire, Yemen, Oman and more allies versus a few western states, the Viking League and a few states on the Indian subcontinent. Prince Eriksson took the opportunity in a blitz campaign to take the Taiwan, Sulu and Andaman Islands from the Mamluks and make Yemen a vassal. Since the Timurids were in trouble against Gujarat, they saw no chance to aid their allies, and the League was to consolidate its gains by means of a peace treaty. Yemen was not made part of the League (other than in the Hawaïan case, where the ruler converted to catholicism and where vinlandic culture was imported).

In January 1679, Yngling Eriksson took the opportunity and declared war with troops ready to land on French Terre Neuve. Ilheus, the only French holding on Leifland was the main objective of the war. The fortress fell after just 1 week into the war.
Imposing a blokkade on mainland France proved to be somewhat more troubling...

Les bricoleurs de Vinlande: first peace talks with France.

By 1672, France had quite a few posessions in the far west, across the Great Ocean. (Europeans use the term far east).
Most of them were undefended islands, a few unfortified regions in Terra Australis, and both sides of the Malayan Channel, including the trade centre.
In January 1679, Yngling Eriksson took the opportunity and declared war with troops ready to land on French Terre Neuve. Ilheus, the only French holding on Leifland was the main objective of the war. The fortress fell after just 1 week into the war.

On the fourth of April, Ansgard Olavsson is elected Prince and overlord, instructing a cautious approach to the war.
The Vinlandic biggest fleet imposed a blockade on continental France, while the French fleet was destroyed by Vinland’s second fleet off the coast of Africa.
After a few years of stalemate on the Atlantic front, Johor and Malaya fell to besieging Hawaïan and Vinlandic forces. The huge French army in Palembang was unable to lift the siege because of the league naval superiority in the Malaya Channel.
After the conquest of the few French colonial possessions in the area, Terre Neuve, Vinland’s third fleet, continued supporting the island hopping, but this time to African Madagascar.

Until 1688, France had always rejected any peace talks, although Ilheus was the only thing Ansgard Olavsson demanded, which he found very reasonable.
In April of 1688, Olavsson’s term was up and Tollak Sørensson was elected. Sørensson was a man with considerable more diplomatic qualities that his predecessor. Due to coinciding internal turmoil in France, the French agreed with Sørensson a treaty that was by far more negative for France. Johor, Malaya, Madagascar, a few islands and most of all Ilheus were conceded.

Before his first year of his term war over Sørensson had donated the concessions bar Ilheus to Hawaï, including some older Vinlandic possessions like Guam and most of the New Vinlandic Archipel.

In 1695, France decided to take Malaya -and its trade centre- back from Hawaï.

Looks good.

I especially love just reading the maps. :D

That's a stunning map!

That's a stunning map!

Thanks, I already told you yours are expert material, so means a lot hearing it from you

Great map. The British have done quite well in the East.

Well, there's no room for them accross the Atlantic, and they haven't got anything, not one louzy province, in Africa. This is their entire colonial 'empire'.

Also, there's Ceylon in China (!), Qing, Japan, Ayuthayasomehingarother, Dai Viet and more. It's no surprise Mali was once the richest nation in the world with Ming trailing far behind, as they were never able to control their homelands. Mali reached the east coast of Africa and dominate that region together with Sokoto.
There has also been a bit of Sweden in India for decades.