• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
well, I'm happy , also a bit sad about this screenshot ... First game ever that I finished (in EU3)

EU3_139.jpg

last update today or tomorrow ...

It's the 19th century and ...
just kidding.

Home

Four centuries of growing Vinlandic emperialism. Four centuries further and further away from Vinborg. Far horizons, strange and exotic people, all united under the banner of the Viking League. Foreign nations either respect of fear Vinland, or both. All, but the nominal leader of the catholic church, Stefanus IX.
A foul creature that cared for little more than it's next meal.
Stafanus refused president Liúlfur Eriksson's plea for a new crusade.

Liúlfur Eriksson was a man that was caught more than once contemplating over past Viking glory. One man in particular caught his attention: Bohemund I of Tarentum, a Norman king of Southern Italy.
Bohemond_I_of_Antioch.jpg
Bohemund, born around 1058 a.d., was a brilliant military leader who went on a crusade packed with experience. He fought the Byzantines in the Balkans for years, until he was beaten by Alexius Comnenus (who demanded western help against near the end of the century).
His name became immortal during the siege of Antioch, where his band of men scaled the walls.
Gustave_dore_crusades_bohemond_alon.jpg

Dreaming of such glory, Eriksson requested for the papal demand for a crusade against the Mamluks, who had controlled the Holy Land for centuries.
When Eriksson went to Rome in 1806 in person for his plea, the pope -who had eaten too much- didn't even bother to get off the toilet to receive the president.

EU3_76-1.jpg
Two months later, Stefanus found himself in gaol and Rome under Viking control. Eriksson was on his way to the Eastern Mediterranean.

This was the situation early 1807:
EU3_78-2.jpg

War was declared on The Mamluks, and it didn't take any heroic year-long sieges to subdue Judea. To secure a future for a seperate state, the war was expanded to Syria.
EU3_83-1.jpg
In May, Beirut and Aleppo were handed over by Syria. With this success, Eriksson returned to Vinland for the elections. Unfortunately for him, he died on the journey home. Vice-president Erik Ansgard won the elections in July and followed the path taken by the late president.

EU3_86.jpg
As religious fanatics kept flocking the army, Vinland had no trouble putting its military technological lead to practice. The army steamrollered Egypt. Unfortunately, Egypt was as war with Tripoli, who interfered with some sieges, taking cities right in front of the Viking noses. General Wermund Egilsson didn't care much for any distinction between heathens, and invaded Tripoli when he reached the Egyptian-Tripoli border.
Syria, jumping in to defend Tripoli was soon annexed.

Dulkadir shared Tripoli's fate. The Ottoman realm and the Timurid empire both joined in against 'Christian dogs', infidels.
EU3_100-1.jpg

In 1811, Tripoli (and Haasa) surrendered.
EU3_104.jpg
In 1813, The Ottoman Empire surrendered the city Bohemund had fought so many times, before he conquered Antioch in its name.
EU3_111-2.jpg
In the same year, the Mamluks surrendered to president Gunnar Rikardson (vice-predent taking over from Ansgard, who died after being hit by a stray bullet).
EU3_112-1.jpg
EU3_113-1.jpg

Once the Timurids gave up the fight, the crusades was a complete success.

EU3_119.jpg

EU3_115.jpg

With these victories, the future of the Middle East was in the hands of the president...
EU3_125.jpg

In 1815, the new 'Holy Country' was donated to a newly installed patriarch, a new patriarch for a new Catholic nation.
To commemorate the birth of the Patriarchate, Vinland donated this painting of Bohemund at Antioch to the Patriarch.
Capture_of_Antioch_by_Bohemond_of_T.jpg

mappatriarchateofJerusalem.jpg

In the next five years, war was fought with the Mamluks (who renounced their claims eventually), Ashanti (handing over the treasury), Mali, Oman (who ceded Al Hasa and Qatar), Granada (who ceded Almeria and Gibraltar; creating an Icelandic empire stretching from the Pyrenees to Guinea).

By 1821, not only the political future of Vinland and the League members had been secured by centuries of warfare and diplomacy, so had their faith.

Last edited:
Well, a fine work, sir! Congrats on this one's completion! :D

Thanks!

Ohho, hard times for the Patriarch of Jerusalem since only 99% of the population is muslim. :rofl:

looks like there's room for a spin-off

You got extra missionaries and a diplomatic + prestige bonus for taking Mecca. My question was does a muslim nation get such a bonus for Rome as it is the hub of the catholic church.

it ends on a good note.

yeah, apart ffrom the badboy wars for taking so much from the Timurids, and it was land I gave away immediately.

Congrats on finishing. I can't remember posting while you were still working on it, but I have enjoyed it very much.

Looks like the Timurids didn't put up much of a fight...

The Patriarchate is a nice conclusion for your AAR, congratulations! Any plans for the next one?

no, they were refilling their generation 1.0 muskets with gunpowder when they were mowed down by my regulars.

The patriarchate is completely different from the rest of the AAR, the Vinlanders have evolved from outcasts, on the brink of extinction, almost destroyed by walrushunters if it wasn't for that one ship blocking the strait to cross to Vinborg, to freedom-loving, democratic-principle upholding, selfish religious fanatics with a huge 200 strong fleet.
Also, one of my best maps.
I have been thinking about a all-map AAR, but that would be too much work.

maybe a non-historical next, two Vinlandic histories, are a bit too much, something that merely describes the game. perhaps.

I'm thinking of testing some mod and writing about it. We'll see. any suggestions are welcome of course.

Last edited: