• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A lo Kubano

The year is 1731.
EU3_11-2.jpg

("What?!", I hear you say? Look, it's over there)
EU3_12-4.jpg

The once great, powerful empire of the west, in a true caroligian tradition, had moved its capital to the Congolese jungle, preferring Kongo as a neighbour.
This move secured the safety of the French king, who escaped through Brittanny, but gave up the entire European leftovers of the kingdom.

In 1733 Denmark declared war on Grænland, only to realise that the entire Viking League (which ironically did not include Denmark nor Sweden).
Since the dismantlement of France was far to important, Vinland's attention was only shortly shifting to a Baltic war effort. Gotland was taken and donated to Grænland. With the peace of Sjælland, war was redeclared on an alliance of French states. The 'casus belli' was forged, as turned out in recent studies, to no one's surprise.

The French main army was now stationed in Kongo, and was just the remains of a once huge colonial force.

EU3_21-1.jpg

In 1742, France gave up its European hold and isolated itself in Africa.
EU3_23-1.jpg

Burgundy tried to reclaim lost French glory, but the failure of the effort, at Vallenciennes, effectively ended the Great War. Normandy was now a dangerous player on the European stage, controlling an army of 60k men, well able to defend itself from any attack, from outside or from within.

EU3_25-3.jpg

In 1746, Prince Torhild Leifson looked beyond France, and saw a Castille in dissarray. Low stability, a weak, suicidally small army on home turf, and most of all, one small city on South American soil.

Last edited:
The once great, powerful empire of the west, in a true caroligian tradition, had moved its capital to the Congolese jungle, preferring Kongo as a neighbour.

Madness :wacko: St Helena would have been more appropriate though :D

I love how you invaded france and made them run to africa :D

I also love the animated graphics :)

Madness :wacko: St Helena would have been more appropriate though :D

Madness, the oldest european state moves to africa!

I have to admit that I had to use the search option to find Napoléon III's new hide-out

I love how you invaded france and made them run to africa :D

I also love the animated graphics :)

cheers mate, a lot of work has gone into finding out how to do that, that and making them look a bit old with those nautical features. Too much for doing that every time, unfortunately. That Hawaï-map was the worst.

France has already retaken Kongo and 'the other one' (keep forgetting its name)

I have some 50 years of play to go. Any suggestions of where to go next?
(bearing in mind that taking the very last province on American soil is first, but not that difficult.)

Insuborditation

France had been Africanised and was slowly taking ground around its new homeland.
Castille's faith was similar but to a lesser extent. Icelandic possession was extended in Africa and Iberia, and Normandy now stretched from Kales (Calais) to the Iberian side of the Pyrenees. With that, they had also lost their last Leiflandic/American city.
(more on that next chapter)

However, no matter how well the league was doing geopolitically, internally there was quite some upheaval.
In the second half of the 18th century, Viking success had a centrifugional effect on societies throughout Leifland. Every now and then, some thought it best to declare independence from Vinland (and the League). Such treason was rewarded with harsh punishment.
EU3_76.jpg
EU3_74-1.jpg

The Järl of Markland, Margaret, had, in a moment of temporary insanity perhaps, allowed some freedom-loving people to create their own independant state of Quebec.
EU3_77-1.jpg

They were not a member of the League, the ruling class favoured french culture, since the new king of Quebec was native of the cosmopolitaine ghetto of Eikbær. The ghetto was there since the expulsion of religious dissidents in France in 1597. It had swollen in size since the collapse of the French state.

Such behaviour was unacceptable to the league, and Järl Margaret of Markland was summoned to the League court at Vinborg, where a meeting was held with the järls of the League and Prince and Overlord Edvard of Vinland. The järl of the Hawaii and Inka Ríki were represented by their diplomats. Margaret had to wait for 6 weeks in Vinborg before she was heard at the meeting -which seemed more of a trial- because of the distances the järls had to travel

The conclusion of the highest council was that Margaret had broken the feudal contract, granted to her family more than 250 years ago, by conciously giving away control over lands that were rightfully owned by Vinland and the League through overlordship.
She was forced to give up her crown and her rights to the title of Järl of Markland, and any rights of her heirs. No claims could be made to Markland. The former järl would be granted a pension until death, which couldn't take long since Margaret was 65 already.

EU3_78-1.jpg

Last edited:
Insubordination (2)

Because of stability and reputation issues, Vinland was unable to take out Quebec immediately. Seizing Markland, combined with previous expansionistic wars in Europe and Africa against France and Castille ànd the execution of separatist dissidents gave Vinland a bad reputation throughout the world. Declaring war on Quebec would have to wait until there was a textbook casus belli for war. If declared sooner, war could disrupt the nation, and endanger the whole League.

In the 1740's, 50's and 60's, many large cities saw the creation of fine arts academies, further educating the middle and upper classes, enhancing stability.
(recovery of 1 stab hit is 1 year by 1770.)

In 1760, Eilert Torhild was elected, continuing these efforts.
Together with internal stability efforts, 'le corps diplomatique' was put to the test to repair the damage of the Vinlandic reputation.
EU3_82-2.jpg
EU3_83.jpg

To continue and even increase the appeasement of the masses, Eilert gathered support to extend the right to vote beyond the nobility.
Prince Eilert would become the first President of Vinland, overlord of the Viking league. In 1764, reforms were completed as the constitution was finished and the transition from noble republic over admunistrative to constitutional republic was completed. The first elections were won by mr. Ragnheidur Oddmunsson.

With an elected leader at the head of the nation, and representatives in a newly created parliament, stability could return, and the time to tackle Quebec was uphand.

EU3_88.jpg
EU3_87.jpg

Trying to find a hole in Quebec's alliances,Oddmunsson couldn't believe his luck when an emissary from Quebec came to Vinborg, warning the president not to show any aggression towards other nation. In that case Quebec would join the opposing party.
EU3_89.jpg
EU3_90-1.jpg
Seizing the opportunity, Oddmunsson declared war at native Mapuche (deep in the heartlands of the Inka Ríki) in the face of the Quebec diplomats. Unable to retract the warning, they joined Mapuche.

Turbulent times for the league. Although I must say those independence events are not very realistic, eliminating cores just by killing people... some cores should remain, or you should lose most population and tax for decades.

Turbulent times for the league. Although I must say those independence events are not very realistic, eliminating cores just by killing people... some cores should remain, or you should lose most population and tax for decades.

I second that, they are part of the TN mod. But a small nation with huge colonies just can't keep withstanding those colonial events because of the badboy hit. Going over the limit made Quebec warn me, since they are my only land neighbour that is not a member of the Viking League.

The Castillian Wars (1746-1757)

(a flash back? yes, I was too lazy to make a map of Spain sooner, mea culpa. Finally finished it though)

The Castillian Wars originated in a dispute over the territory of Banda Oriental. Colonised by the Castillians but completely surrounded by the Viking League.

After the succes for the League in the Great War, and due to the relative weakness of Castille -most of its army was in Australia or Africa- the iron was more than hot by 1746. In a series of short wars, repeatedly declaring war on several alliances that included Castille, Iberia was left to the mercy of the Viking League.

Portugal was reduced to a minor player and Aragon had become a tributary state.

spain-war-film.gif

EU3_45.jpg

EU3_50-1.jpg
EU3_51-1.jpg

EU3_52-1.jpg
EU3_75-2.jpg

EU3_72-1.jpg

In 1756 a period of political instability and social unrest commenced, commonly known as a time of troubles. This period was effectively ended after the change of government form and the presidential elections (previous chapters)

EU3_65.jpg