• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Australia and Britain should premtivly seize the Dutch East Indies, Germany be damned!
joenods8fpyw6.gif
In order to save them of course.

Empire build.... erm saving the poor natives from a cruel fate is never wrong.

Bring freedom and all that jazz to those embattled, err umm peoples. Just make sure Australia annexes Bali, you know for like the future tourists and like. And rename Jakarta to [Sir Joseph] Chamberlainville.
joenods8fpyw6.gif

The fragile state of the RAF is going to give us a big headache, methinks... anything in store to sort this out?

Bring freedom and all that jazz to those embattled, err umm peoples. Just make sure Australia annexes Bali, you know for like the future tourists and like. And rename Jakarta to [Sir Joseph] Chamberlainville.
joenods8fpyw6.gif
I fully endorse these outstanding suggestions for a safer world and a happier Empire. Any other course of action would be foolhardy and idiotic in comparison.
filthyrichjh8.gif

I fully endorse these outstanding suggestions for a safer world and a happier Empire. Any other course of action would be foolhardy and idiotic in comparison.
filthyrichjh8.gif

As would ignoring my AAR! :mad:

As would ignoring my AAR! :mad:
You are quite the most impatient author I have come across on these boards :p You must realise not all of us are lazy lay-about students, some of us have real jobs and other commitments that have calls on our time. However I will endeavour to catch up when time permits. :)

You are quite the most impatient author I have come across on these boards :p You must realise not all of us are lazy lay-about students, some of us have real jobs and other commitments that have calls on our time. However I will endeavour to catch up when time permits. :)

I may be impatient, but I am not a lazy layabout, after all, I won't have that much time come middle of next week. I do realize of course that you lot have a live outside the forums, but I value your input, that's all.

joenods8fpyw6.gif

Nah, the Empire can always use another place called Halifax.

Britain has to allow the Japanese expansion in the East.
Old colonial powers have fallen and new shall arise to greater glory.
Britain must be among the nations that shall rule in the future, including Germany, Japan and USA.
Be prepared for a new world order.
Would Britain fight Japan and Germany, they would just bleed each other dry. And make USA the solemn superpower... :(

Nah, what you really need is a written contract with a major publishing house in Germany or Britain.

My writing is not that good... It's more of a hobby anyhow.

It would seem that The Oxford dictionary ought to be able to add a new word (or meaning for an existing one...)

Milan (m-ln, -län)
An excuse for continued inaction in the face of compelling evidence that something ought to be done...

The substantive "milanized" could therefore be used in the 1950s. :cool:

Well if Japan seizes/controls the DEI that goes a long way towards cutting off Malaya and points east from reinforcement--seems that would (should?) be intolerable from the standpoint of Imperial grand strategy ...

Chapter 135, Downing Street, 4 July 1941

Halifax sighed as Cole entered placing another red box on his desk. He had not taken any work with him to Germany and had been struggling to catch up with his schedule before the Japanese moves on the Dutch colonies. Now, with the military pouring out strategic plans and material demands he was failing miserably to even keep pace with the paperwork that came with his job. He was profoundly grumpy; The Times, under the leadership of his friend Geoffrey Dawson, had applauded his “noble efforts to bring peace to the troubled continent” but had been a sole voice of support. The liberal and left leaning press was turning increasingly hostile as the Conservatives lived up to their name over the fraught issue of welfare reform and challenged Halifax to refrain from pointless diplomatic efforts abroad. The two recent by-elections had seen a well-heeled young Tory barrister scrape into Parliament with a horrifically slight majority; the seat had previously been described as ‘safe’. The other, in a die-hard Labour seat in Wales, had seen the Conservatives slide into third place behind Sinclair’s increasingly cheery Liberals. With Templewood and Simon evidently very worried, Halifax was looking to the Parliamentary recess with desperation.

There was a knock at the door. Cole had been working silently and wouldn’t need to knock. Halifax looked up to see his wife, smiling softly at him.

“My darling, Walter Elliot is here to see you. I would have turned him away but he claims that it is urgent.”

“Vewy well, could Cole bwing him in.”

“We have dinner guests in an hour.”

“Then Walter’s visit will be a short one,” he said with warmth. After a few minutes Elliot entered.

“Prime Minister, we’ve just had a communiqué from our Ambassador to Finland. Helsinki has fallen to the Red Army.”

“I see, Walter. Any harm to Bwitish subjects?”

NewPicture9-10.png

“At the moment the Russians are far too busy dealing with the Finns. They’re retreating in good order. The Embassy has gathered most of the Commonwealth subjects just in case the Red Army turns violent to the inhabitants.”

“Thank you, Walter,” Halifax said quietly. “Was there anything else?”

“Yes, My Lord. It would appear that Berlin has taken the news badly. Apparently Hitler is despatching German troops to help the Finns. Under a General Paulus,” he said as an afterthought, handing Halifax a copy of the Berlin Embassy’s report. He noted that the new German commander of their military mission to Finland was a gentleman officer, a man known for his immaculate uniform and smart boots. He seemed, to Halifax, the very image of a Prussian officer.

“A sound stwategic decision, I’m sure,” Halifax said uncertainly. “Please ensure that the War Office continues to monitor the situation.”

A few miles away, amongst the bright lights of a city trying to enjoy itself in spite of ongoing economic woes and a neighbouring continent in turmoil, there was a small restaurant that was as expensive as it was new: the French proprietor, fleeing from the Fascism that was tightening its grip on his homeland, had only opened that month. It was still largely unknown to the club-bound, deeply traditional English establishment and so made a perfect location for the plotters to meet.

They were an odd bunch: Amery the newly resigned minister, Boothby the flamboyant backbench plotter, Macmillan the ambitious would-be grandee, Bracken the envoy of Churchill, Duff Cooper the elegant rebel and Eden, the only one of them still in the Halifax Government. They had consoled him, flattered him, and were glad to see him come.

NewPicture10-9.png

“You know, Anthony, why we invited you to supper,” Amery began. “We cannot go on like this.”

There were growls of approval. Eden smiled, like a monarch being flattered. “You would have me turn Brutus upon my Caesar.”

“Et tu Eden has a ring to it Anthony” Boothby rasped. “And who could wield the blade more effectively?”

“When?”

“We must act now,” Harold Macmillan, MP for Stockton, interrupted Amery who was about to reply. “Conservative members are tired of Halifax’s timid diplomacy.”

Eden ran a hand through his elegant hair as he listened to Macmillan. “In order to form an effective Government we will need the support of the backbenchers. How many have pledged their support?”

This was Boothby’s province, and he spluttered a reply through his Cabernet Sauvignon. “I think we have thirty.”

Eden rolled his eyes. It was far from convincing. “And what about the senior members of the Party?”

“Winston Churchill has pledged his support,” Brendan Bracken said brightly, with a touch of ceremony. “He will bring in more of the backbenchers and would be an obvious choice for a senior Cabinet position.”

Eden smiled thinly. So Winston has named his price, he thought to himself. “We will need more than Winston.”

“Dunglass, Kingsley Wood and Butler have to be discounted, as does Maxwell-Fyffe,” Macmillan muttered. “Templewood and Simon will support their friend, and Ronald Cross could go either way.”

“Maurice?” That was Duff Cooper, fumbling to light a cigarette.

“Hankey will act for the Party,” Eden said flatly. “If we can gather enough support he could be the one to tell the Prime Minister to resign.”

“Stanley,” Amery said with hesitation. “What about Oliver Stanley?”

It was here that Eden thought that their challenge could falter. Oliver Stanley had been a quiet and efficient Chancellor of the Exchequer, and was the leading figure in the ‘centre’ position of the Party, leading those MPs who were neither strongly supportive of Halifax nor critical. They were a gently effective force, mainly made up of former military types and self-made ex-businessmen, who Halifax wouldn’t understand and who Eden wouldn’t encourage. They were pragmatic, the art of making sensible deals was deeply ingrained, and they were the shadowy third group that would decide the fate of the Conservative Party.

“I think they’ll jump our way,” Bracken said. “They must be bored of Halifax’s feebleness. And I think they don’t trust him over Japan.”

“But when do we force the issue,” Eden wondered. “Too soon and we’ll look vicious, too late and we’ll look cowardly.”

“Now!” Amery pounded the table as he shouted. “While he’s humiliated over the Germany visit.”

“A visit, Leo, with which I too am deeply entwined,” Eden said quickly. “And Stanley and his band will realise this. We need something else, one final matter which will show once and for all that Lord Halifax must resign.”

Boothby spoke up. “What about the economy?” Eden noticed that Macmillan shot a withering look him. So the rumours are true, and Harold is cuckolded by Boothby. He gratefully accepted a glass of wine.

“With Oliver as Chancellor? They’ll fall in behind his Lordship like lambs to the shepherd,” Amery said bitterly. “It has to be international, something that will deal with Halifax and Butler as one.”

“Winston is worried about Japan,” Bracken said. “He keeps pestering Harry Hopkins with warnings about Japan. He’s talking about going on the wireless about it.”

Eden raised an eyebrow, Amery raised two. “That could serve to embarrass the PM,” Macmillan said. “Do to him what appeasement did to Neville.”

“But what if his plan to gather the Commonwealth and Americans actually works,” Duff Cooper asked. “He’ll be safe behind his diplomatic success.”

“From what I read,” Eden said tartly, “the Americans are as fond as our Lord Halifax as they are the Japanese Emperor. He won’t succeed.”

[Game Effect] – The plotters organise themselves as the Finns cave in to the Soviet invasion.

Helsinki obviously annoyed the AI - the German force in Norway marched into Northern Russia with Paulus at its head, all brilliant material for this writer.

Amery and Eden are the “big hitters” in this would-be coup, with Duff Cooper (one of the staunchest anti-appeasers and strongly anti-Halifax) not far behind them. Would Eden have schemed thus? Of course he would – having resigned over Milan then returning to Halifax’s banner for the election, his shoddy treatment by the PM would see him considering how best to ditch Lord H. The rebels are an odd bunch – Boothby was indeed having an affair with Macmillan’s wife and Macmillan was suspicious of Amery. Winston is curiously absent, though he has sent his ambassador Brendan Bracken to the meeting I detect a touch of Churchillian self-interest, and he will not commit unless he is convinced of its potential for success.

Trekaddict: The Air Ministry will soldier on, update soonish as Cross and Dowding plan for the future.

Sir Humphrey: I wish! I think that some sort of pre-emptive strike would be considered, but Halifax and FDR between them will wait for Tokyo to act first.

Trekaddict: I know, and here Halifax might actually do the right thing (sounds of hysterical laughter)...

Sir Humphrey: :)

Kurt_Steiner: The RAF update is coming up. Essentially they are massively defensive – mainly fighters and interceptors, with some tactical bombers (not many) and a weak strategic wing. Getting them ready for offensive operations will be a struggle.

El Pip/Trekaddict::)

Arilou: I think “HMS Lord Halifax” may come along at some stage.

Enewald: All of which Tokyo would love.

Atlantic Friend/Trekaddict::)

Bafflegab: I think that “Halifaxism” will be a by-word for appeasement.

Trekaddict: Your AAR is magnificent.

Atlantic Friend: Or Winston Churchill’s early works.

DonnieBaseball: The British will not act aggressively until their territories are invaded. The only way this could change is the US/Commonwealth force them to!

Interesting commentary on the state of Halifax's support, particularly that the 'centre' of the party has no strong feelings either way. It makes a great deal of sense now I think about it, after all Halifax did win the election so clearly they wouldn't be anti-Halifax completely, but his foreign policy mistakes are starting to pile up so they would hardly be enthusiasticaly behind him.

I wonder though if agitations over Japan will be enough? After all it wasn't till appeasement was comprehensively wrong that it became a real liability, plus of course Japan is a long way away and the impression is given that domestic issues have been neglected somewhat. I think the plotters are being a tad optimistic if they think that will be enough to force an unwilling Halifax from office.

I think we can depend on either the PM delivering a colossal blunder of some sort or the Japanese/Germans/Soviets doing something stupid. My money is on Japan though, because its inevitable in the long run.