• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
69 pages of great writing LeJones! Definitely on-board for the rest. Absolutely love the way in which we the readAARs are being toyed with by Halifax. He makes the story great while inciting nothing but hate.

India is a quandry in every UK AAR. That is why it was so thouroughly ignored in real life!:D Far too hard to deal with, lets work on faster than light speed travel instead, should be easier and more likely to have a positive outcome.

Well, in AAO I bought the Indians over early on by giving them everything short of their own colour on the map and embassies in foreign countries. The rest will sort itself out.

69 pages of great writing LeJones! Definitely on-board for the rest. Absolutely love the way in which we the readAARs are being toyed with by Halifax. He makes the story great while inciting nothing but hate.

To think people wanted to kill Halifax in the beginning. It would have been plain awful. :(

Chapter 124, Berlin, 19 May 1941

NewPicture9-9.png

Monckton leaned on the fence as yet another Embassy wicket fell to the motley collection of businessmen and tourists that made up their opposition. A handful of Australian metal merchants had made the difference, dominating the game with truly lethal bowling. His Excellency the British Ambassador hadn’t been spared: as befitted the senior Briton in Germany he had been first to bat and first to fall. He grimaced as a couple of the “Embassy Wives” closed on him; his usual charming, easy manner had been battered by the heat of the afternoon sun and the ever present worries on his mind.

He knew that they were up to something. The intelligence boys had detected a lot of troop movement in the East, their destination unknown. Monckton had duly sent this to Butler (discreetly ensuring that Halifax was copied in on the cable) with a warning that this merited serious British investigation. The Russians, clearly not totally stupid, had also observed the build-up; a polite message had emerged from Ribbentrop that all was well, and that the movements were nothing more than a routine changeover of personnel. But Monckton suspected otherwise; though he was not a military man he doubted the wisdom of an Army changing all of its personnel in one move. And so he had sharply pushed his staff into finding out Germany’s next action.

A spatter of applause signalled the end of a frantic sprint to the wicket by one of Monckton’s economic advisors. He mopped a sweaty bald pate and beamed at the wicket keeper. Seeing Monckton’s worried expression he smiled at the Ambassador.

“Don’t worry Sir, we’ll see ‘em off!”

Monckton couldn’t help but laugh at the man’s ebullience. He was enjoying this assignment even if the host nation was so damned evasive. He had extended an invitation to some of his German contacts to attend; sadly none of them could but there was nothing unusual with that. Monckton, and his staff, were fully aware that with the Germans the standard rule was that either all the invited attended or none of them did (and non attendance was usually a signal of something big in the offing).

“Your Excellency looks like a man with a lot to worry about.”

Monckton turned to see one of his press advisors, an overweight diplomat called Carman, offering a Pimms.

“Is it that obvious?”

“I am afraid so, Sir. Even Fox-Hamilton’s blundering around can’t cheer you,” Carman gestured to the game, where the economic advisor was adding another run to his impressive performance.

“It’s this Eastern business. I take it you’ve been told nothing?”

“Not officially. I did receive a vague comment about Greece and Turkey but I think that’s subterfuge. The Germans trade with them too much to invade them.”

“I think, Carman, you may be correct. Which means that we’re still, after all of our efforts, ignored and in the dark.”

There was further applause and good-natured jeering as Fox-Hamilton tripped on his own wicket. Monckton sipped at the Pimms and found it deliciously cool; he had never expected Berlin to be so warm and in his cricketing garb was feeling very warm. Distancing himself from the cluster of diplomats and their wives he tried to plan a note to Halifax. But despite all the evidence from the SIS, he had to accept that they were the only people concerned with the troop movements. The Diplomatic circles, the military intelligence people, all seemed unconcerned. But Monckton knew Germany, he knew that something big was coming. Closing his eyes and allowing himself to imagine he knew that his instincts, which told him that Russia was the target, were correct.

He was snapped out of his reverie by the arrival of an immaculate Wehrmacht officer. Bowing deeply to the Briton he proffered a small envelope to Monckton. Nodding smartly, Monckton waited for the officer to depart and opened the envelope. He chuckled; the Germans, he conceded, were tricky little buggers. Far from being secretive about their actions, they were delighted to invite the British Ambassador to a briefing to discuss their ‘plans for Europe’. Monckton was still chuckling, he realised that the Germans were indeed trying to bombard the British with misleading information. Calling for his car, Monckton prepared to do battle for his country, and for Europe.

[Game Effect] – Ok ok. I know what’s coming, you know what’s coming, everyone except Halifax and Uncle Joe know what’s coming. But I thought it would be worth seeing how some people on the ground start to work out Germany’s next move. Monckton is continuing to do well as Ambassador to Germany (as well as anyone could!) I have to admit that I like him, and find him a decent, astute man. But he is a Halifax man through and through and is, even I have to admit, tainted by his support for Milan. As such, as things in the East go nasty he may be liability as Ambassador.

An emerging theme is the chaos that is British intelligence; some sources have caught the threads of Barbarossa, but I seriously doubt whether they will reach Whitehall in enough time. Who knows what will happen (yes yes, we all do...)

Trekaddict: I really liked your approach to India in AAO, and hope that something equally sensible will emerge here. For all his silliness as PM Halifax was an ok-ish Viceroy and will probably stumble across a sensible path.

Kurt_Steiner: The mere thought of that man makes me sick.

Trekaddict: :)

El Pip: I genuinely think that Halifax would slowly fade away as PM; giving increasing power to subordinates whilst preparing for a quiet departure. Constitutional arguments aside, I think that any British PM would have found 1940 an exhausting year, and Halifax has done well to keep himself going this far. Who would replace him? I think that Butler would put himself forward, as would Stanley as a moderate. Then any from the following list: Eden, Amery (an outsider), Churchill (no harm in trying). The result would swing on how the backbenchers were feeling; at the minute I think they’re restless with the apparent helplessness of it all.

Kurt_Steiner::)

Trekaddict::)

Enewald::rofl:

Sir Humphrey: What an idea! My guess is that he’d appoint a new Viceroy – someone to command respect and someone who could ‘knock heads together’. He’d listen to this Viceroy and support some form of Dominion-type status. But it would be a messy fight (both in the UK and India) and I doubt, at this stage, whether Lord H has the energy for it.

Nathan Madien: I think that Hopkins would spurt out his coffee when he heard of Churchill’s speech – but I do think that Hopkins would have “taken soundings” from the various factions in Whitehall. Churchill is, admittedly, merely a former First Lord, but he is a vocal and capable critic of the Government and is thus worthy of meeting.

TheExecuter: You may well think that, you may very well think that, I couldn’t possibly comment.

Phargle: I think you’re right – the Indian nationalists will observe Dominion affairs, especially since both Canada and South Africa are exceptionally unhappy with Halifax.

Bafflegab: Thanks! I have to admit that the thought of Halifax toying with anyone is unlikely (well at least intentionally!).

Trekaddict: I think this AAR is a long way behind you as far as India is concerned.

Nathan Madien: I know – to think of the fun we would have missed out on!

Apologies for the slow updating of late, work is manic so I’m afraid we’ll be moving at a snail’s pace for the next few weeks.

Trekaddict: I really liked your approach to India in AAO, and hope that something equally sensible will emerge here. For all his silliness as PM Halifax was an ok-ish Viceroy and will probably stumble across a sensible path.

Thank you, thank you.

Trekaddict: :)

Wilson is the only British politician I hate more than Halifax and Attlee. British Aircraft Corporation. No more to say about him.

Barbarossa?
No invasion of Yugoslavia? :confused:

We know something of what is happening in Germania, but what of Mussolini?

Mussolini doesn't know that he doesn't know something, while Halifax does know that he doesn't know something and his officers know that he (Halifax) does know that he doesn't know something but, as they know that they don't know either, they cannot make him (Halifax) know what he doesn't know, as they don't know too what is not know. It could be almost anything!

Furthermore, if they were to know something, it would be idle, even then, because what they happened to know may not be what Halifax wanted or needed to know, as they don't know what the Prime Minister doesn't know.

All in all, I feel like sir Bernard Wolley right now.

Last edited:
How spiffing, a spot of cricket and then high diplomacy. Let us hope he can keep a straighter bat in the meeting than he managed during the match.

ah, Pimms and cricket. wonderful to wake up to. nice to see the tension building up to some sort of unknown military operation, too. :)

ah, Pimms and cricket. wonderful to wake up to. nice to see the tension building up to some sort of unknown military operation, too. :)

I thought they were golfing at first. It turns out they are playing cricket...whatever sport that is.

[Game Effect] – Ok ok. I know what’s coming, you know what’s coming, everyone except Halifax and Uncle Joe know what’s coming. But I thought it would be worth seeing how some people on the ground start to work out Germany’s next move. Monckton is continuing to do well as Ambassador to Germany (as well as anyone could!) I have to admit that I like him, and find him a decent, astute man. But he is a Halifax man through and through and is, even I have to admit, tainted by his support for Milan. As such, as things in the East go nasty he may be liability as Ambassador.

An emerging theme is the chaos that is British intelligence; some sources have caught the threads of Barbarossa, but I seriously doubt whether they will reach Whitehall in enough time. Who knows what will happen (yes yes, we all do...)

It's starting to become annoying. Just invade Russia already, Germany.

I thought they were golfing at first. It turns out they are playing cricket...whatever sport that is.

yeah, you tend to have less wicket keepers and bowling in golf :p

Sorry, I am quite igorant of this wicket...cricket...something sport. :(
I sympathise, while up late one night I accidentally ended up watching the Super Bowl which was inexplicably being broadcast on ITV. While I did enjoy the challenge of trying to determine the rules by observation, it was somewhat confusing viewing. :confused: :)

I sympathise, while up late one night I accidentally ended up watching the Super Bowl which was inexplicably being broadcast on ITV. While I did enjoy the challenge of trying to determine the rules by observation, it was somewhat confusing viewing. :confused: :)

i feel your pain there. there's also the challenge of working out why its called the super bowl in the first place, when there is no bowling involved. basically, think rugby but with giant exoskeletons which stop you getting hurt :D

I don't even watch the Super Bowl...and I live in America.

i feel your pain there. there's also the challenge of working out why its called the super bowl in the first place, when there is no bowling involved. basically, think rugby but with giant exoskeletons which stop you getting hurt :D

Rugby...great...highlight my igorance even more. :p

Chapter 125, Windsor Castle, 25 May 1941

NewPicture12-7.png

Halifax was awoken from his port fuelled slumber. It had been an enjoyable visit to the King and Queen, with both in good spirits. The Princesses, Elizabeth and Margaret Rose, had staged a short play for the Prime Minister who had smiled, nodded and applauded (as best a one handed man could) at their efforts. Then it had been to dinner, and for the King and Queen it came with a delicate notion from their good friend. Queen Elizabeth had been aghast at Halifax’s proposed retirement, charging Halifax to “continue the good work”. The King, less passionate, less certain, had merely implied the dangers from Eden, or even worse Amery, driving up the Mall to accept the Sovereign’s commission to form a ‘Government in my name’. The King, in his delicate, subtle way, had made it clear to “darling Edward” that if the unthinkable happened, if such a terrible replacement was appointed First Minister, it would all be his fault. Halifax had finished the port (noting, with a quiet satisfaction, that the vintage procured by Cole was far superior to that offered by the Monarch) and had retired, suitably informed of the King’s opinion. In truth, he was also missing Lady Halifax; Dorothy had retired to Garrowby just before the regal summons had arrived as she was unwell. As the stresses of dealing with the domestics in Downing Street, as well as the aftermath of the Channon scandal, took its toll on Lord Halifax, it had been invariably to Lady Halifax that he had turned. The result was inevitable; Lady Halifax had been struck with crippling migraines and had been taken to Garrowby by their concerned offspring.

Halifax, habitually, was a heavy sleeper when under the influence of alcohol. Under Queen Elizabeth’s withering pronouncements he had sought solace, like many a servant of the Crown, in the drink at the table. But now, at the first knock of the door, Halifax was awake, and fumbled with the bedside light. He found himself staring at an immaculate Flight Lieutenant, one of the equerries to the Royal Family.

“Forgive me My Lord, but Mr Elliot is here from London to see you. He says that is most urgent.”

“Ah yes, give me a moment. Pway, what time is it?”

“Shortly after four in the morning, Prime Minister.” That made sense; it was just starting to lighten and Halifax saw the first hints of dawn breaking outside.

“Goodness,” Halifax rose and put on a dressing gown. “Show him in.”

The appointment of Walter Elliot to replace Channon (hurriedly, for Halifax had again acted with uncharacteristic resolve) had been one of the few positives from the disgrace of Sir Henry Channon and the emasculation of Rab Butler. He had an astute mind and was able, tactfully, to steer the ever prickly Viscount ably on difficult policy matters, particularly with the Commonwealth (Halifax realised that this was never Rab’s strongpoint). Halifax knew that for Elliot to journey to Windsor from Westminster indicated a serious development. Instinctively, his stomach tightened.

Elliot coughed. It had been an awful hour, as the hurried telephone conversations had turned rumour to confirmed news, and then to the inevitable 'well, what the hell do we do now' stage. Controlling his fatigue, he addressed his leader calmly. “Prime Minister, apologies for the lateness of the hour, but I thought you would like to know. At approximately midnight our time a massive German invasion of the Soviet Union began. We already estimate that there have been thousands of casualties, mainly on the Russian side. They’re falling back all along the frontier. Minsk and other key cities are already near the front line.” Halifax sank onto the bed.

“Who’s, er, who are we talking to over there?”

“Mr Butler is seeing the Russian ambassador tomorrow morning. Ambassador Monckton has called; he’s trying to get an audience with the Germans as soon as possible. But we need guidance, My Lord. How do you want to approach this?” Elliot looked eager, intense. He risked an opinion. “There are some who will argue for our aiding Stalin.”

Halifax pursed his lips. “No, no, that would be a bweach of the Tweaty of Milan. The Germans wouldn’t stand for it.” Halifax looked sorrowfully at Elliot, who, uniquely of late for a Foreign Office Minister, now stood firm and looked his Prime Minister in the eyes. Halifax, understanding, lowered his. “You’re right, of course. If the Germans ask for us to declare war against Wussia I will refuse. If I did otherwise the Government would have to resign, and Anthony would be Pwime Minister. Thank you for coming. Are you going back to London?”

“Yes, My Lord, I’d better be going. Are you going to tell the King?”

“No, I’ll let him sleep. I’ll tell him at bweakfast. When is Wab meeting Maisky?”

“Noon, he’s invited him to Lunch. He’ll be bringing the military attaché too.”

“Tell Wab to give them both my best wishes. But nothing more. After all we’ve been thwough, then this.” Halifax was struck by another thought. “We’ll need to consult with the Dominions, no doubt it will pwove to be the usual quagmire.” Halifax winced at the prospect of further Commonwealth diplomacy.

“Indeed, My Lord, perhaps lunch for the High Commissioners, you, Rab, Anthony.”

Halifax nodded. “And Cadogan. He’s vewy good at explaining the logic of our position.” He looked into the distance. Below, in the courtyard, workers were already preparing for the day ahead. Halifax had been looking forward to a quiet Sunday, spent in respectful worship with the Royal Family and a quiet evening reading a favourite Agatha Christie novel in his rooms in Downing Street. And now, with an ominous feeling, he knew that his quiet life in Yorkshire would have to wait. He realised, almost automatically, that the nascent splits in the Conservative Party would once again show themselves. The hawks would demand support for the Russians following yet another breach of German promises of good faith, whilst the doves would applaud Halifax for disentangling Britain from the horrors of European warfare and would push for a declaration of neutrality. Halifax, quite naturally, felt that the doves were right. In his mind he rehearsed the arguments that he knew would need to be razor sharp. We have not, he would begin, dragged the British Empire out of one war only to be sucked into another, much more terrible one. He knew that Butler would support him, as would Dunglass and Templewood. He was quietly confident that the moderate Stanley would be disinclined to support the calls for British intervention.

But then there was another element. Halifax knew his history. Eden, in his Milan-inspired resignation, had likened the agreement with Germany to the Treaty of Amiens, signed in 1802 between a weary Britain and all-conquering Napoleon. Halifax realised that he was in a similar position to Henry Addington, the then Prime Minister. Whomever wins this war wins Europe, he knew, and will command a strong power on the international stage. He looked out, between the heavy curtains, at the gentle rural morning before him. But Europe will be in ashes: this war will not be won easily. An independent Britain is the only hope, a place far from the graveyards and bombed cities. But he felt odd at allowing a tenet of British policy toward Europe, that of maintaining a balance of power, to slide so easily and felt that he would revisit this issue in the next few days. But, importantly, he knew that it would be for him to keep the Empire neutral in the coming war.

“Now begins,” he said softly, almost in reverence, “the gweatest stwuggle of our times.”

NewPicture13-7.png

[Game Effect] – A month or so early, the Germans attack Russia. Halifax, despite warnings that it was looming, was taken unawares though Elliot, trying his best, manages to inform him fairly quickly of the news.

So what will Halifax do? It is a “no brainer” – he’d stay out and thank God that the Empire isn’t involved. The Amiens analogy continues, and I think that whilst Halifax’s knowledge of History is good, his interpretation will be challenged (imagine a Napoleonic War without British subsidies and the Roya Navy!). He’ll also need to be good in the Cabinet meeting that he knows he has to hold – yet another broken German promise isn’t going to be popular with the more hawkish elements of the Tory Party. Attlee will, I think, call for action as the pressure from the British left to support Stalin grows. Attlee reluctantly supported Milan – he has a difficult job on his hands if he tries to push for a renewed effort against Germany.

Lady Halifax did suffer from migraines. Upon arriving in the US her husband was what we would today call “a PR disaster”. He was badly advised and in the end Lady Halifax, along with a small corps of advisors, turned his performance around. But the effort of pushing her husband along was tiring and for much of their time in America she was seriously ill with crippling headaches.

Enewald: Nope, Yugoslavia, and indeed the near mythical BCF, is completely avoided here. I have my opinion on whether this really would have happened, but the AI's indifference to it chimed with my own lack of knowledge - at the moment all's quiet there.

Mussolini will, I promise, feature soon. But the lack of a French or Italian perspective on Barbarossa is deliberate - they are minor players on this stage and Italy isn't even (in game terms) allied to Germany, as the 1940 campaign ended so quickly with Milan. Here the game reflects my opinion - I doubt that Italy would be satisfied with her limited Milan gains and Mussolini is probably jealous of the French 'usurping' of his role as sidekick to Hitler. But I think that a loyal France is of greater use to the Reich than an increasingly Maverick Italy.

Trekaddict: Wilson will long remain one fo the most devious people to ever hold the office of PM. And he's up against some stiff competition!

Kurt_Steiner: I love "Yes Minister", and there probably is a bit of that in this AAR (although I also love the "House of Cards" trilogy and "First Among Equals").

El Pip: Monckton's sympathetic portrayal in this AAR is fairly accurate (but I would say that!) in that he was a reasonably capable politician trying to do his best for Blighty. I do think that any British Ambassador to Germany would struggle in Spring/Summer 1941, as the Germans don't really care about Britain now that she has been silenced. As Monckton starts to falter, who will help him?

BritishImperial: I wanted, in the last update, to show something completely out of kilter with the world around it. Monckton and his Embassy can play cricket and drink Pimms, but only a couple of hours' flying time away you have this epic contest just beginning.

Phargle: Following on from the update above, I wanted to also have this looming tension hanging over the European scene. I think that most reasonably informed politicians would know that something was coming, but would form their opinions in answering the what and where of the puzzle.

Nathan Madien: I hear you! You'll be pleased to know that the war has started...

BritishImperial: :)

Nathan Madien: Cricket is wonderful, even if we're usually rubbish at it...

El Pip/BritishImperial/Nathan Madien: :rofl:

If he keeps himself away from Stalingrad, there might be a chance... :D

obviously we have to watch the ai battle this one out. but i think in real life we'd be seeing a grey europe, with a very early barbarossa and no german commitments to garrisoning western europe.

also, i now realise i could never be prime minister. anyone who wakes me at 4 in the morning after several drinks lives to regret it. 'for god's sake! the jerries will still be invading russia in six hours time, now won't they? let me sleep'