• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent updates indeed. Ripping stuff.

The African section reminds me very much of the book Popski's Private Army and their documented activities in the Western Desert and Italy. :)

Chapter 106, Sandringham, 14 December 1940

NewPicture14-6.png

The King and Prime Minister enjoyed a gentle stroll through the pleasant fields. It was a bright morning, crisp, virtually windless with the sky a light and rich blue. The King, relaxed after recent troubles, was relishing the walk. For Halifax too, about to return to Garrowby for Christmas, it had been a pleasant enough use of the hour.

“Bad news about L-lothian, Edward.”

“Indeed, Your Majesty. May I dare to pwesume that you have sent the letter of condolence to his family?”

“Yes, Edward, all of that. Lascelles and I finished it yesterday. Are we holding a memorial service here?”

“Pwobably. I need to finalise the details with the family.”

“I shall attend, of course. He was a g-good man.”

Halifax, whose background and political opinion was particularly close to Lothian’s, nodded sadly at the King’s obvious sorrow at the death of the Ambassador the United States. Lothian, deeply religious, had refused treatment that could have saved him and so had died unnecessarily. Reasonably popular with the Americans, he had served his country well and Halifax dreaded finding a replacement. Of course the King, with his uncanny knack of highlighting Halifax’s problems, spotted the issue.

“Do you have a replacement nominated, Edward?” The King lit a cigarette, as Halifax made a shrug that was almost gallic in its resignation.

“A pwoblem, Sir. The Beaver has alweady made a whining case for Winston Churchill. He takes the view that Winston, or, modestly, he himself, are the only men who can bwing Amewica and the Empire together.”

“Winston!” The King almost barked the word. Halifax’s reference to Beaverbrook had raised his ire, the mention of Churchill, the man whose opposition to the peace with Germany had caused so much pain and grief for Halifax, his close friend, only added to it. “He is not,” the King said loftily, as if educating a lesser mortal on something only he knew “a gentleman.”

Halifax smiled thinly, recalling Butler’s reaction to the suggestion. “Agweed, Sir. Cadogan has suggested Vansittart or, in a moment of immodesty, himself. But I am not sure that the Washington Embassy is the place for a caweer diplomat.”

The King looked confused. “Then whom would you send?”

Halifax ran through the deliberations he had had with his foreign office advisors. “I think it needs to be a political appointee; if anything it will help the unfortunate soul in dealing with their confusing political system.” He paused, with the King, at a fence with a small access gate. The King offered his First Minister a hip flask, which he gratefully sipped from. “I think also that Woosevelt panders too much to public opinion, but perhaps he has to. A candidate with political experience will able to wespond to this.”

“Have the A-americans indicated a preference?” The King was, as ever when dealing with matters of state, earnest, keen to be of assistance.

Halifax chuckled softly. “That, Sir, would wequire them to make a decision.” He paused, realising that his remark was unfair. “The Pwesident has rightly left it to us. But, given that Roosevelt, like ourselves, values an individual’s backgwound as well as mewits it must be an impeccable candidate. I believe I have thought of some candidates. Baron Cecil, son of the Marquess of Salisbury, Lord Woolton, and Victor Cazalet. Eden suggested Lord Moyne.”

The King thought hard. Cecil was a known imperialist whilst Cazalet had managed to support Franco’s Nationalists in Spain whilst opposing appeasement at home. Moyne was an odd choice, given his friendship with Churchill. But Woolton was an interesting character, a businessman turned politician. He raised an eyebrow at Halifax.

“W-woolton, Edward. I think Woolton would be a good ambassador.”

“My favoured candidate. I feel his business cwedentials and ease with the public would serve him well over there. Though I envy him not at his going out there at all.”

The two strolled on further, passing a group of estate workers who looked on as King and Prime Minister wandered happily through the grounds leading up to York Cottage. The King paused to enjoy the view.

“You remember Edward, how my brother viewed this place?”

Halifax remembered that well. Edward VIII, on the death of his father, had swept through Sandringham ending many of the traditions and rituals established by his grandfather and father. It had been an alarming time, as Halifax, at the time the Lord Privy Seal, remembered vividly. Halifax, staunchly “a friend of Bertie’s” had played an understated, supporting role to the then Duke of York. It was one of the key moments in their friendship.

“Indeed, Sir. If I may venture, the wiser party pwevailed in that matter.”

The King smiled at the compliment. “I am t-thinking, Edward, of what to say in my address to the nation. Elizabeth has suggested that we work together on the words.”

Halifax raised his head, and took in the crisp morning air. “Sire, your Chwistmas addwess is your pwovince, of course. But I venture that you will dwive the Dominions to work together, and celebwate our deliverance fwom a dreadful war.”

“Yes, Edward, I like that idea. Urge the Commonwealth to work as a family.”

“Perhaps, Sir, the family analogy is apt. All families have fallings out, but they always come together in the end.”

The King smiled, repeating the line. “You k-know, Edward, perhaps you should make the address,” he said teasingly.

“Sir, I loathe the wireless and everything associated with it. I lack Your Majesty’s obvious ability to engage with the populace.”

“You flatter, Edward. Winston used to flatter. After the coronation he p-persisted, tried to suggest that he didn’t support my brother and his, his…”

“The Duke and Duchess of Windsor,” Halifax interrupted, lest the King embarrass himself with commenting so openly on the still bitter matter of Wallis Simpson.

“You know that the Duke has suggested himself for Washington.”

“That will be dealt with, Sir. West assured that Your Majesty’s wepresentative in Washington will not be he.”

“Good. Imagine that woman in the White House!” The King laughed at the gloomy gest. The two men sat together on a small wooden bench, a lovely view of Sandringham before them. “It has been quite a year, Edward.”

“Indeed, Sir. Yes, nineteen forty has been memowable.”

“Oh yes, Edward. All this,” the King waved towards the fine house in the distance, “threatened because of far-off events. What will next year bring, I wonder?”

Silently, the two men walked back towards the large house.

[Game Effect] – A gentle update, summing up some of the news and looking further at the complex friendship between Sovereign and PM.

Lord Lothian did indeed die in late 1940, his replacement, ironically Halifax. For reasons various Churchill conspired to offer Eden the Foreign Office which, despite Halifax’s pleadings not to go, led to his ‘banishment’ to the US. There, lacking Lothian’s easy manners and relying on poor advice from his embassy team, he initially failed to make a good impact. Later, thanks to assistance from Lady Halifax, he was ‘de-iced’ somewhat, though with the wartime relationship between the UK and US so close (if not always harmonious) he was not an outstanding success. Perhaps his finest hour was after the war, when with Keynes he secured US financial aid to the shaky British economy which probably saved (again ironically) the Attlee Government. Beaverbrook acted as meddling go-between in arranging Halifax’s appointment as ambassador in 1940 (he loved the business of moving people around the various jobs) and here, though he is in Canada, I think he would offer a candidate (I’ve mischievously suggested Winston) to the Cabinet.

So who, in the absence of an able but irritating candidate, can he send to charm Roosevelt? Both Cazalet and Salisbury were touted as potential ambassadors, as were Pound, Vansittart, Eden and astonishingly the ex-King, Edward, Duke of Windsor. Halifax was always wary of Edward and gambled correctly during the abdication crisis, remaining fairly aloof throughout the whole thing, though he was tactfully supportive of the Duke of York, a support that was remembered by both King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. In the AAR, I’ve offered Woolton as a favourable candidate, though I did seriously consider Channon (on his American pedigree/closeness to Butler), Beaverbrook (because he so loved scheming himself into good jobs), Ironside (to get rid of him/because of his military credentials) and Vansittart (a diplomat, though he was anti-appeasement), and I think that simplistically Woolton could be attractive to a Whitehall still unsure as to the correct way of working with the Americans. For unlike Monckton, Halifax’s personal choice to go to Berlin, there is still a degree of confusion as to how (or indeed the need) to engage with Roosevelt. But the Washington vacancy is really a matter of personal opinion, as ever I value your comments and no, I’m not sending Halifax out there. Halifax seems to have quietly dropped the idea of sending Churchill anywhere; I think that Winston would ignore a plea from Halifax to rise to the challenge.

Kurt_Steiner: To be fair to Halifax the buil-up has only just begun.

Sir Humphrey: Glad you liked it! As I said, I wanted to have some fun away fromWestminster politics.

Enewald: Oh please God no!:rofl:

Well, it seems that the Brits are sliding ever closer to the inevitable. Better brush up on your Russian, mates! ( I still think Barbarossa will fail, and without the western allies in the war...)

Hmm, the Woolton pie guy. :) Judging by his Wikipedia page, he seems competent enough. Nifty choice, certainly better for Halifax than Winnie would have been.

I wonder what 1941 will bring. :D Probably more peace and quiet strolls through the gardens. Can't imagine a war breaking out.

as Halifax made a shrug that was almost gallic in its resignation.
Thats a classic line. Another gem!

I somehow think that things will move inexorably East to either Japan or Russia. Unless Halifax is contemplating playing a part in War Plan Red or something...
joenods8fpyw6.gif
However if things are going to be peaceful, I think thats a miscalculation on the old boy's part..

Wolton here, too. All in all, my opinion stands in "whoever, but not Vansittart!"

What about sending Winston, who is definitely not a gentle gentleman, to Berlin as ambassador? :rofl:
Would lead to something fun...

"Vat do you mean, he zait zat zey vould nevar zurrender! Bomb zem now!"

"whoever, but not Vansittart!"
Well, someone has to stand up and destroy once and for all the threat of Prussian militarism! So after the [presumed] defeat of Germany at some stage in the future of things, to ensure those uppity Prussians don't get ideas, make him the British 'Protector' to oversee Germany, with naturally wide sweeping powers.
joenods8fpyw6.gif

I think Woolton would be a good pick. With FDR being such a question mark, you will need somebody who can have the best chance of trying to make inroads with the Americans.

Speaking of Ambassador's, is Roosevelt keeping Kennedy?

Chapter 107, Chequers, 7 January 1941

The motorcade made its way along the slushy rural road and, just before a poorly marked fork in the lane, swung into the Chequers grounds. Immediately the staff buzzed around the vehicles, baggage was unloaded and the Halifax family welcomed back to their London retreat. A grumpy Halifax joined his wife in the library for a restorative cup of tea. Lady Halifax had fallen heavily at Garrowby and had quite obviously been uncomfortable during the train journey down to London; that the train journey had been inexplicably slow had further irritated the already testy Halifax. It had been his suggestion for his family to stay at Chequers for a few weeks; the cramped apartments of Downing Street would be unpleasant for Lady Halifax and the superb grounds in Chequers would be enjoyable in these crisp winter days. Halifax was momentarily delighted to find Cole holding a tray of port glasses. Gratefully taking a glass with Richard (who had travelled down to look after his mother) the gloom descended again and Halifax winced as he saw the red boxes (stuffed, no doubt with further parliamentary work) being taken to his study.

“Prime Minister,” Halifax turned to see Lord Templewood greeting him. “Welcome back to London.”

Halifax grunted a reply, but realised that Templewood was being courteous. “Obliged, Samuel,” he said in a relaxed way, using Templewood’s Christian name in an effort to be pleasant.

“Might I enquire as to Viscountess Halifax?”

“She is resting, Samuel, though I pwessed upon her not to come down she insisted upon staying at my side. She has wetired for the evening. Would you care to take a glass of port?”

Templewood did so, and sipped at the deliciously sweet drink. “Excellent, My Lord. The twenty-seven?”

“Actually Nineteen hundred and four. Warres. Quite a complicated dwink I find. Cole here manages to get it at an exceptionally good pwice.” Halifax nodded to Cole, who stood perfectly still, staring past the two politicians. Halifax, though a good employer, liked Cole’s silent, hardworking nature and the two rarely spoke about anything other than the business of managing the Halifax household. Gesturing that Templewood should sit, Halifax took his own seat on a battered couch. “You came here, I pwesume, for more than the port?”

NewPicture15-6.png

Templewood smiled thinly. “Anthony and Rab have been active over Christmas. Anthony is demanding that we tell the Russians about the German troop movements in the East, and Rab is trying to shrug the demands off.”

“Cadogan?” Halifax had now focussed on the problem.

“Sir Alec, like me, is of the opinion that the Russians must have a more detailed appreciation of what the Germans are up to than us. That border is thinly guarded in places and given the strength of the Russian security services he and I feel that they will be aware of German actions. I feel that there is a healthy reluctance to upset both the Germans and the Russians by creating a fright.”

“I sense that are not fully explaining yourself, Samuel.”

Templewood winced. “Cadogan would like us to challenge the Germans. Nothing too dramatic, just a call by Walter on Ribbentrop or Goering with a polite ‘what are you up to’ chat. We can justify this; if British tools are going to be sent out there we can send a polite enquiry as to their use, invoke some half-baked principle of not assisting in foreign belligerence or something,” his voiced trailed off.

Halifax wore a confused frown and looked down at his near empty glass of port. “What is your view about the politics of this?”

“We need to put the matter before cabinet. This is a major point of policy for our members, and if this gets out to the Commons Rab could be in difficulty if he appears to have misled the House, never mind the British public. Public opinion is hard to read; some of the left-wing types are pro-Soviet, but for most of the British people the Russians seem as frightful as the Germans.”

Halifax nodded, and was privately grateful for his Deputy’s sage advice. Templewood had acted ably, taking soundings from ministers and MPs whilst clearly keeping a shrewd eye upon the newspapers. “Then, there is little emotional attachment to either cause should hostilities commence. Vewy well, if the situation continues to worsen then we will offer ourselves as a mediating uninvolved party.”

“But is that wise?” Templewood spoke with alarm. “Remember Munich,” he said softly.

Halifax took the heartfelt warning and was content to leave that matter unresolved for now. “Has Lord Woolton awwived in Washington?”

“He has, My Lord, and has attracted a muted response. The Americans are very wary of us. Lord Lothian was quite popular.”

“He was a good man,” Halifax murmured in agreement. “Any news on the new Amewican Ambassador to Whitehall?”

“Indeed there is. Buckingham Palace will tomorrow be officially notified of the President’s intentions.”

“Who?”

“Erm, they haven't confirmed it yet. But I will ensure that you are the first to be informed.”

“Good. What news of the Japanese?”

“Nothing new of late. After the Communists were defeated last week we have seen ongoing suppression of partisan activity in China, but no further build-up on any of our frontiers. Lord Hankey reports that the Imperial Japanese Navy appears to be engaged with routine patrolling.”

“The Royal Navy?”

Templewood smiled. “King George the Fifth is about to commence her passage. Rab and Hankey have agreed the port visits. She’ll call at Lisbon, Taranto, Piraeus, Alexandria, Bombay, then on to Singapore. We were going to add Istanbul but the Turks pulled out at the last minute.”

Halifax nodded. “And the other weinforcements?”

“Hankey reports that Malaya, Illustrious and Eagle are all on passage. Again, we’ve added a few diplomatic visits here and there, but the intention is to get them on station as soon as possible.”

“Good. Anything of note at home?”

“Just one thing, Prime Minister. You’ll be aware of the rather nasty derailing incident near Grantham last week? Well, the Board of Transport’s initial finding is that the accident was utterly avoidable. The drivers were still using the blackout sequence of signals, and the train company hadn’t prepared sufficiently for snow. The train companies are still running a delayed service on the East Coast Main Line.”

And thus we find the reason for the horrendous journey this afternoon, Halifax realised. “The editorials?”

“Scathing about the Government’s transport policy. The fact that only I and Attlee have visited the injured has attracted a lot of negative comment.”

“Is Victor Wawwender in London?” Halifax was ice cold in his delivery of the question.

Templewood smiled sadly. “I think he is keeping his head below the parapet.”

Halifax preferred a hunting analogy. “Gone to gwound?”

Templewood looked down at his shoes. “He is proving somewhat elusive.”

The frustration of the journey, the news from Europe and now the domestic news made him snap. “He can bally well get his head above the pawapet. I expect to see him at Chequers the instant he weturns to London. Use Margesson and the Whips, smoke the wetch out.”

Templewood sought to hide behind a formal mask. “As you wish, Prime Minister.”

[Game Effect] – Halifax comes back to London from a prolonged Christmas break. Halifax, ever the Edwardian aristocrat, would not have been rushed back to London for the ‘tiresome’ business of state, and has evidently delegated the day to day running of the country to Templewood (his de facto Deputy Prime Minister). Cole, ever the ‘seen but not heard’ valet has come up trumps with the 1904 Warre’s, an excellent port that even in 1940 would have come at a fairly hefty price.

British indecision over the build-up of German forces in Poland rumbles on. Again, the British are wary of issuing a public warning to Russia (Germany is still technically a partner) and Halifax is warned-off from trying to play the peacemaker. Following the revelations in November 1940 that the Germans were building new runways in Eastern Europe, the gentle ramping-up of tension before Barbarossa (or whatever the Germans are planning) is launched continues; the British have become aware (probably through SIS) that a gradual build-up of forces is taking place, but as ever are in a quandary as to how to use this information. Templewood’s observation that Butler could be crucified in Parliament should the British early warning of the build-up get out into the public is correct, as is his assessment of British public opinion. At the moment, despite his earlier difficulties as Air Minister, Templewood is doing a sterling job as Halifax’s deputy.

The situation in the Far East seems to have be quiet at present. The Japanese have made no fresh aggression against another power and the British presence in the East becomes more acceptable. I think that the wily Hankey would capitalise on KGV’s passage to the Pacific with a burst of showing-off and ‘flying the flag’ in foreign ports along the way.

Finally, some domestic news. I’m not trying to bore you all, you brave readers who have survived months of this saga, but I feel that something domestically would have happened during Halifax’s tenure and given earlier comments about the British railways a train accident seemed plausible. Halifax, never really one for ‘photo opportunities’ did not cut short his break to visit the injured; instead Templewood and Attlee represented the two main parties. But I suspect that Sir Victor Warrender, the Secretary of State for Transport, will be shuffled into another position and some other dull Tory MP be appointed.

Trekaddict: Having fired up the game (for nostalgia and screenshotting) the 1945 outcome is truly fascinating. I am in a bit of a quandary as to how far to run the AAR (if people want me to stop please holler) and I think that I’ll canvass the regulars when (or if) we get to late ’44.

Morsky: I think Woolton, on paper, was a good choice. I’m not sure that he’ll be an outstanding success (certainly better than Halifax’s initial few months) but a competent pair of hands is all that really is required at this stage of the game.

Sir Humphrey: You are of cause correct, and I think that the focus of our story will naturally drift to focus on events elsewhere. Britain’s obsession with the Med aside, Japan’s war in the Pacific and Germany’s build-up in Eastern Europe will heavily determine how relaxed Halifax’s 1941 will be.

Kurt_Steiner: Vansittart would have been an interesting choice, and part of me wanted to contrive to send Winnie. But in the end I genuinely think that Halifax would send Woolton or someone like him.

Enewald: Hilarious though it would be, the highly sensitive Berlin job had (in Halifax’s mind) to go to a close friend, hence Walter Monckton. I know I tend to dwell on Ambassadors and diplomacy but as we build up to the dramatic events of 1941 the diplomatic games are important.

Trekaddict: :D

Sir Humphrey: Oh please God no!

Nathan Madien: The Woolton assignment definitely shows Halifax’s reasonable diplomatic ability. FDR, following Kennedy’s remarks in 1940, would, I think replace Kennedy but I have to confess I have veered and hauled around all sorts of candidates. Would it be Winant, Harriman, even Willkie? As ever Nathan Madien your suggestions are valued!

It would be actually a wise idea to use german troops to improve east european infrastructure.
But it is hard for common soldiers to build infrastructure for long, and maybe somehow german troops actually end up building a Berlin-Vladivostok Autobahn.... :rofl:

I have a bad feeling about this. :) Once the inevitable German invasion of Mother Russia comes, I imagine the UK is going to look rather impotent and irrelevant in the whole affair, what with Cabinet bickering and division. Or perhaps Halifax will keep them in line with an iron fist. :D he should really get a hook for his gimp arm, it'd make him look more menacing. Also an eyepatch, or maybe Dr. Strangelove tinted glasses. Looks count for a lot, especially when you're utterly devoid of substance.

What about sending Winston, who is definitely not a gentle gentleman, to Berlin as ambassador? :rofl:
Would lead to something fun...

There probably are mixed feelings toward Washington if, as it happened in OTL, calls for help in 1939-1940 fell on Isolationnist ears. So there is a case for sending someone who is not a gentleman, if only to remind America it also holds some responsibility in the disaster.

Maybe they'll choose to send a high-ranking officer ?

Trekaddict: Having fired up the game (for nostalgia and screenshotting) the 1945 outcome is truly fascinating. I am in a bit of a quandary as to how far to run the AAR (if people want me to stop please holler) and I think that I’ll canvass the regulars when (or if) we get to late ’44.

By all means, please continue and carry the story through to its conclusion. While the political focus is not typical of many AARs on the HOI forum I find it immensely detailed and enjoyable. Your portrayal of diplomacy and politicking is quite believable (at least to layman of British politics like myself) and is what makes this one of my favorites AARs.:)

Yes please!

Having fired up the game (for nostalgia and screenshotting) the 1945 outcome is truly fascinating. I am in a bit of a quandary as to how far to run the AAR (if people want me to stop please holler) and I think that I’ll canvass the regulars when (or if) we get to late ’44.

By all means, continue! This is my favorite current AAR, precisely because it has so much political/narrative content.

BTW, I know you've tried to be realistic and kept the outlying parties (Union of Fascists, for example) out of the limelight. Could you give some sort of update on how Mosley et al. have reacted to peace with Germany?

I had never heard of Mosley or British fascism until a couple of years ago, hence my interest.

It is no question about going on -of course- with the AAR. The question is what kind of vicious punishment we'll use to "persuade" you to go on if you ever stop writting. :D