• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh please. Oh Please. Someone kill Halifax already. He is not able to wage war. :mad:

^Guess who won't be getting a Christmas card from Halifax.

Le Jones said:
[Game Effect] – Dissent is high (from all the Cabinet changes), the war is going down the toilet, and the economy is emptier than a Gordon Brown promise, so Halifax wheels out his good friend Neville. Chamberlain, supporting Halifax’s desire for peace and ever eager to remain in the public eye for a potential return to 10 Downing Street would probably have agreed to make a broadcast in support of Halifax’s government.

Have terrible problems to deal with? Then wheel out the guy who gave you those problems and have him pray that you can fix his problems. What a great solution that is. :p

Chapter 11, Northern France, 1600 17 May 1940

iron.jpg

It all gone hopelessly, terribly wrong. Ironside, touring the front with Churchill, climbed out of his staff car and entered the Corps HQ, a hastily converted Mayor’s Office in the small town. The staff stood to attention as the General waved his stick in acknowledgement.

“Let’s get this over with shall we? I am meeting Lord Gort this evening and I intend to discuss your situation with him.” Franklin, Commander of this section of the line, turned to an aide, a Colonel of the Highland Light Infantry.

NewPicture2.png

“Sir, here is the Front as of 2100 hours yerterday. As you can see the French have retreated, creating a large bulge to the South. We’re growing increasingly worried by this bulge.

“Have you reinforced?” Ironside asked, dreading the response.

“No Sir. We’re fully committed here.” He pointed at the BEF’s location. “The French First and Ninth Armies have requested our assistance.”

Ironside growled, angry. “They’ve done more than that, Colonel. The buggers have requested that we loan them the 23rd Division.”

“Sir, are you aware that they are an untrained force?”

“Oh I’ve told them that all they’d be getting are a bunch of diggers, and I’ve also told them to make do with their own forces. What about the RAF?” A cough sounded from the RAF Liaison.

“Well Sir, we’re doing our best. But we’re losing more planes each day!”

“Bloody hell. Alright, so you’re in trouble. Has the Army HQ been of any support?” The HLI Colonel, not wanting to criticise Gort’s staff, merely blushed and looked at the floor. It was enough for Ironside.

“I see. I wish you good fortune, gentlemen, grateful for the briefing.” With that the Chief of the Imperial General Staff spun on his heels, cursing the misfortunes in this campaign and intensely angry at the French, the Government, everyone.

[Game Effect] – Halifax has sent Ironside over to France earlier than Churchill. No soldier, leaving the war to Churchill and Ironside is classic Halifax and shows a reluctance to direct the war effort. For Ironside, the 1940 offensive will be his last month as CIGS. General Sir John Dill was recalled from France in April to serve as VCIGS, and Halifax will begin to rely on him as the news grows increasingly bad. For the BEF, there are still a few battles to fight on the Western Front.

Trekaddict: It gets worse.

Nathan Madien: You're right, but at this stage Chamberlain commanded huge respect from Party and nation. The doubts over his Premiership would be exploited by Churchill and the press, who ran a campaign against the "Guilty men of Munich". Halifax, one those men, would be in a position to block the press' efforts and so Chamberlain is not too heavily criticised. Yet...

Well. The fighting is still going on in France. And we all know that England must be defended to the last drop of French blood. :D So, all is going fine.

Kurt_Steiner said:
Well. The fighting is still going on in France. And we all know that England must be defended to the last drop of French blood. :D So, all is going fine.

Relying on killing French soldiers to defend England as a strategy...you sir are an optimist. :D

Nathan Madien said:
Relying on killing French soldiers to defend England as a strategy...you sir are an optimist. :D
At least Ironside is angry at the French, this is an attitude that will serve Britain well almost regardless of what has, is or will happen.
ja.gif

El Pip said:
At least Ironside is angry at the French, this is an attitude that will serve Britain well almost regardless of what has, is or will happen.
ja.gif

*Does the Royal Navy toast*

animated_union_jack2.gif

Chapter 12, The War Office, 18 May 1940

NewPicture4.png

General Sir John Greer Dill, newly appointed as Vice Chief of the Imperial General Staff nodded to his secretary as he swept into his new office. Trying to make a good impression, she beamed at the general.

“I’d be grateful if I could not be disturbed.” It had not been a good day. Without Churchill’s dynamism and Ironside’s gritty determination the entire building felt like a house in which the parents had departed, leaving the children in charge. Wearily, Dill picked up some decent writing paper and began to jot a note to Gort:

“The War Office is, as far as I can see, in complete chaos and the situation is as bad as I expected. I’m not sure that Winston isn’t the greatest menace. They worry that they cannot control him, being full of ideas, many brilliant, but most of them impracticable. But at least he has ideas! Our Secretary of State, Mr Eden, is quite charming and has really good judgement. But he has never been given a chance. All the rumours here are that you will be ordered to attack."

NewPicture3.png

At the same time, in Downing Street, Halifax sipped on his glass of port and shook his head at the paper in front of him. Ironside and Churchill, touring the front, had differed in their forecasts. Churchill, bullish and dramatic, had called for a renewed offensive and massive RAF reinforcement. Ironside, and probably Gort as well, were already squealing for a mass retreat. Halifax frowned in concentration. Since taking office he had avoided active management of strategy, preferring to let Churchill get on with whatever it was that a War Minister did. But now, with such deep divisions in his Government, his generals and the nation he would have to make a decision. They will think me weak if I order them to run, he thought unhappily. Winston will think I am against him, interfering in his war. He will provoke the rebellion against me that I know must come. His stomach felt sour. He picked up the telephone. Instantly an operator answered.

“I am sorry for the lateness of the hour, could you please send for General Ismay and Air Marshal Newell.”

Lord, help me at this time, he prayed. I will order this counterattack and send thousands of men to their deaths. But then they will accept that peace must come.

[Game Effect] – Historically, Gort and Ironside prevented the BEF from launching a thrust South against the Panzers. Arras aside, there were few determined counterattacks to the German invasion. Churchill tried to inject an offensive spirit into his generals but Gort ultimately suspected that the situation was desperate. Halifax, terrified of appearing weak, has half listened to a Churchill request and will launch a counter-attack in the South without consulting the military and some form of British offensive will be launched. The next update(s) will look at this counterattack and its ramifications for the war strategy. Such as it is...

Kurt Steiner: Given the huge size of the French land forces compared to the BEF I think this was always the strategy.

Nathan Madien: Indeed - and as we've seen, it's not going at all well.

El Pip: Ironside, though unsuited for CIGS, is an asset. Compared to the fussy Gort and the varying French generals he is also one of the few with any fight any in him.

Trekaddict: Liking the patriotism. We're not doomed yet...

And thus the true twatishness of Halifax is revealed, willing to get thousands of people killed just so people wont pick on him so much when he tries to surrender. Truly an utter coward, physically and morally, with an unpleasant side helping of self-serving arrogance.

While I obviously hope for good things from the offensive regardless I am now redoubling my hopes, just to prove the unpleasant git in No. 10 wrong. Sadly I fear I will be disappointed, I'm not sure how much good the relatively small BEF can do apart from get itself into serious trouble. Particularly if the plan relies on France doing anything other than continuous retreat.

I am often mistaken for a Brit, but in fact I am German.

So anyway, I see that Halifax is already exeeding my expectations.

*prays for a mercyful air attack*

Halifax doesn't attack - he's a coward.
Halifax does attack - he's a coward and a murderer

:D

The true hour of this man is still to come, relax...

Kurt_Steiner said:
Halifax doesn't attack - he's a coward.
Halifax does attack - he's a coward and a murderer

:D

The true hour of this man is still to come, relax...

That is very much true. Halifax is either damned if he does or damned if he doesn't. There's no middle ground. You either attack or retreat.

Nathan Madien said:
That is very much true. Halifax is either damned if he does or damned if he doesn't. There's no middle ground. You either attack or retreat.
I think it was more his reasoning that offended me, he wasn't attacking because he thought it was a good idea or because he thought it would work. He was doing it because he thought it would fail, get people killed and so enable him to surrender with less public outcry. As a certain giant walking tree might put it;

There is no curse in elvish, entish or the tongues of men for being such an utter twunt.

Chapter 13, North of Arras, 0630 19 May 1940

Winston Churchill, His Majesty’s Minister of Defence (leading the War and Air Ministries and the Admiralty) beamed as he enjoyed the banter with the troops. Cigar clenched between his teeth he shook hands, patted backs, and more than anything gave speeches. He was briefing now, to an enthusiastic battalion that would shortly support the Armoured Division’s attack on the German flank. Churchill was grumpy at being required to perform so early in the morning but, not for the first time, felt history upon him.

NewPicture1-1.png

“Men of the Cheshires! You are about to take part in our great offensive that will drive an evil enemy back to his lair. Together with our French allies we will be the vanguard of one of the greatest battles in history. The legends of Marlborough, Wellington, and of our own brothers and fathers in the last war look to you to carry England’s banner. Many of you will be nervous, do not be. Some of you will fall, yes, but I for one would rather lie choking on my own blood, having died a free man, than to submit to the German yoke!”

He was passionate, his words spitting his defiance. “Go! Go forth and say to those prancing Prussians that we will never yield! Not on this day, nor ever whilst there are Englishmen who value their freedoms! Go, the heroes of Cheshire, and fight!”

Churchill privately was deeply worried. Gamelin was wavering in his support and the RAF reinforcements were already being decimated by the Luftwaffe. These magnificent men are already heroes. They are not the pride of England, they are England. As Ironside, eyes flashing his fury with Halifax’s orders, led Gort away to discuss the attack, the Cheshires cheered Churchill hoarse, private NCO and officer alike savouring the moment. Wing Commander Pearson, Churchill’s ‘handler’ during his tour of the forces in France, plucked at his elbow.

NewPicture.png

“Sir, I hate to be a nuisance but we really must be going. This is after all a war zone!”

Churchill rounded on the young staff officer. He jabbed a finger at the RAF officer’s immaculate tunic. “And where else should I be boy, but here with the young hectors of our gallant Cheshire Regiment!” That had the desired effect, and Pearson found himself pushed away from Churchill by the cheering battalion. Pearson looked at his watch. The first wave was going in an hour.

[Game Effect] – Churchill ignores a request from Halifax to return to London before the offensive. I think that Churchill’s lust for action would have got the better of him, and that he would have instinctively used his talent for enthusing people to a cause to rouse the troops he was visiting. Admittedly, this is the restrained version of the post; my initial counterattack beginning saw Churchill wearing a tin helmet watching the action. Although if the reader demands it…

El Pip: Yep, and it's all about to erupt...

Trekaddict: Apologies for the confusion. Unfortunately Lord Halifax isn't the type to go anywhere near a war zone.

Kurt Steiner:
Oh yes, his hour will come very soon...

Nathan Madien: Halifax is certainly trapped by the National Government. He has elected to bow to the pressure to launch an attack, hoping he can hold his Cabinet together long enough to get his result...

El Pip: Indeed, but this is only the prelude to the PM's darkest hour...

Good old, Churchill. Boosting morale.

Le Jones said:
Admittedly, this is the restrained version of the post; my initial counterattack beginning saw Churchill wearing a tin helmet watching the action. Although if the reader demands it…

That would have been interesting to read...but the restrained version is also interesting. :cool:

Churchill: This tin helmet has been passed down to me from my ancestors! It will not let me down!

Nathan Madien said:
Churchill: This tin helmet has been passed down to me from my ancestors! It will not let me down!
Probably the same tin hat he used in the trenches of the Great War.
ja.gif

Le Jones said:
[Game Effect] – Churchill ignores a request from Halifax to return to London before the offensive. I think that Churchill’s lust for action would have got the better of him, and that he would have instinctively used his talent for enthusing people to a cause to rouse the troops he was visiting. Admittedly, this is the restrained version of the post; my initial counterattack beginning saw Churchill wearing a tin helmet watching the action. Although if the reader demands it…

Well, it seems that Churchill returns to the battlefield, as he did in WW1. Best of luck, Winnie. Quite a trick mentioning Malborough, you old warrior...

El Pip said:
Probably the same tin hat he used in the trenches of the Great War.

I hope he just uses the helmet and not the kilt that used those days. Wasn't he in a Scottish unit, IRC?

Kurt_Steiner said:
I hope he just uses the helmet and not the kilt that used those days. Wasn't he in a Scottish unit, IRC?

I didn't know he even fought in WW1. :confused: