• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(50292)

Lt. General
Nov 8, 2005
Tibet was the very 1st nation I played when I installed Hoi2 years back.The draw for playing that nation was that to see how far can I go with this mystical nation with little military power. Well, in that game I 'cheated' since I ally with Allies and took control of UK units and basically played with UK units:)

Now for the real game. As a micro power with 5IC, it is unlikely that I can realistically play this nation and have fun. I need to make it into a minor power with a little bit more IC. With the huh-hah on the claims of Greater Tibet that should be given more autonomy by Dalai Lama earlier this year to the Chinese government, I see the potential of playing Tibet thru a creation of an event where I'll add province cores based on the Greater Tibet claims. Based on the Wiki map below, I should be able add total cores that gives an IC range of 15-20. That is after Tibet goes into an offensive to capture those provinces of course :) Nothing comes free or easy!

1tibetclaimsof5.jpg

I intend to add two events to prepare Tibet to be an active participant of WW2.
1) An event that result in the addition of Greater Tibet provinces to become core. I have already some story in my mind which I'll reveal later.
2) A 2nd event that results in increase in pool of manpower as the starting MP is pathetic.

Stay tuned! As a person who works 12-14hours on weekdays I could not update the forum as frequently nor work on this event creation as fast as I wish to. So bear with me... :D

Does anybody know the string to change the domestic slider for Standing Army vs Draft via event command? Example for intervention below.

command = { type = domestic which = interventionism value = 6 }

Azazel said:
command = { type = domestic which = professional_army value = 6 }

General modding guides :)

oh yeah, a place I should have looked but did not! I was surfing thru the event files of other nation and was hoping to come across it! thx!

Thundergate said:
Tibet was the very 1st nation I played when I installed Hoi2 years back.The draw for playing that nation was that to see how far can I go with this mystical nation with little military power. Well, in that game I 'cheated' since I ally with Allies and took control of UK units and basically played with UK units:)

Now for the real game. As a micro power with 5IC, it is unlikely that I can realistically play this nation and have fun. I need to make it into a minor power with a little bit more IC. With the huh-hah on the claims of Greater Tibet that should be given more autonomy by Dalai Lama earlier this year to the Chinese government, I see the potential of playing Tibet thru a creation of an event where I'll add province cores based on the Greater Tibet claims. Based on the Wiki map below, I should be able add total cores that gives an IC range of 15-20. That is after Tibet goes into an offensive to capture those provinces of course :) Nothing comes free or easy!

1tibetclaimsof5.jpg

I intend to add two events to prepare Tibet to be an active participant of WW2.
1) An event that result in the addition of Greater Tibet provinces to become core. I have already some story in my mind which I'll reveal later.
2) A 2nd event that results in increase in pool of manpower as the starting MP is pathetic.

Stay tuned! As a person who works 12-14hours on weekdays I could not update the forum as frequently nor work on this event creation as fast as I wish to. So bear with me... :D

but if you add to yourself cores it became too easy i would prefer if you achive without extra cores :rolleyes: ....

Konyev19 said:
but if you add to yourself cores it became too easy i would prefer if you achive without extra cores :rolleyes: ....

Oh, these extra cores won't come easy as Tibet need to conquer it by waging war. Gonna use addcore command, not secede to Tibet command. 9 of the potential cores are in China (unless Japan reached them first) and about 5 more if Tibet wage war against the UK alliance. This is certainly a tough fight! Wow, a potential Tibet vs Axis + Alliance.
But seriously, 5IC ain't gonna take the Dalai Lama anywhere. :rofl:
Got to make use of the Greater Tibet fact to spice things up and create more possibilities.

Here comes the two events for the Greater Tibet trigger.
To install, copy this into the hoi2.txt file in the db\events folder. This is tested on DD v1.3.

############################################
##### Rebirth of Greater Tibet
############################################
event = {
id = 124564
random = no
country = TIB

trigger = {
exists = TIB
}

name = "A dream calls for the defence of the ancient..."
desc = "Dalai Lama is having a recurring dream foreseeing that in less than 20 years, the Tibetan way of life will be no more. Looking around at the situation in the east with warlords running havoc in China, it could be so true. What can he can do to avoid the prophecy? The decision is his alone. Should Tibet secure her borders including all of her ancient lands of which her influence has been waning to ensure survival of their culture or nah, it's just a bad dream?"
style = 0
picture = "anchsluss"
date = { day = 03 month = january year = 1936 }
offset = 1

action_a = {
ai_chance = 3
name = "We shall control our destiny!"

command = { type = belligerence which = TIB value = 3 }
command = { type = relation which = CHI value = -2 }
command = { type = relation which = CYN value = -3 }
command = { type = relation which = CXB value = -5 }
command = { type = domestic which = democratic value = -1 }
command = { type = domestic which = free_market value = -1 }
command = { type = domestic which = professional_army value = 1 }
command = { type = domestic which = defense_lobby value = 3 }
command = { type = domestic which = interventionism value = 3 }
command = { type = manpowerpool value = 25 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1440 } #Jinchang, Xibei San Ma
command = { type = addcore which = 1441 } #Dunhuang, Xibei San Ma
command = { type = addcore which = 1442 } #Golmund, Xibei San Ma
command = { type = addcore which = 1443 } #Xining, Xibei San Ma
command = { type = addcore which = 1444 } #Yushu, Xibei San Ma
command = { type = addcore which = 1276 } #Lanzhou, Nat China
command = { type = addcore which = 1281 } #Ya'an, Yunnan
command = { type = addcore which = 1282 } #Kangding, Yunnan
command = { type = addcore which = 1455 } #Bhutan, UK puppet
command = { type = addcore which = 1454 } #Riang, UK
command = { type = addcore which = 1284 } #Dinapur, UK
command = { type = addcore which = 1878 } #Ledo, UK
command = { type = addcore which = 1474 } #Srinagar, UK
command = { type = trigger which = 124565 } # This'll work better.
}
action_b = {

name = "It is only a bad dream, no more than that."
ai_chance = 97
command = { type = dissent value = 1 }
}
}

###################################
##### Arrival of Volunteers
###################################
event = {
id = 124565
random = no
country = TIB

name = "Supporters of Tibetan Cause pour in..."
desc = "After the Dalai Lama proclaimed the need to defend their way of their life, ethnic Tibetans and supporters for the same cause pour in from the neigbouring region of Qinghai, Sichuan, Yunnan and Gansu."
style = 0
picture = "military_parade"

action_a = {
ai_chance = 100
name = "Let's embrace our brothers!"
command = { type = relation which = CHI value = -4 }
command = { type = relation which = CYN value = -6 }
command = { type = relation which = CXB value = -10 }
command = { type = domestic which = professional_army value = 3 }
command = { type = domestic which = defense_lobby value = 3 }
command = { type = domestic which = interventionism value = 2 }
command = { type = supplies value = 200 }
command = { type = money value = 30 }
command = { type = manpowerpool value = 35 }
command = { type = dissent value = -1 }
}
}

Do not copy this line and below into hoi2.txt!
The purpose of these two events are to help prepare Tibet to be more capable militarily to be able to go after her new cores. This is without making Tibet too over-powerful.
You need to wage war with Nat China and her ally Xibei San Ma to gain an additional 6 full core ICs from Golmund(5) and Lanzhou(1). If you take on UK and her puppets, you gain 7 full IC from Bhutan(5) and 1 each from Dinapur and Srinagar. You have some unproductive cores in Yunnan as well.
The domestic sliders changes are to reflect the more authoritarian Dalai Lama, a more volunteer army and increased hawkish-ness to exert rights overs the adjacent regions. Naturally affected neighbor nations see a relationship hit.

The 2nd event two weeks later reflect arrival of supporter from ethnic Tibetan from the neighboring regions to boost manpower, some supplies and $. Manpower increase amount is accessed from % of Tibetans living outside the current Tibet which is about 50/50 ratio.

Last edited:
Haha, funny AAR. I see that that you ally with Allies vs Japan. It's a long story, will take time to read it thru but I will. I won't be story telling like you, but will be focus on military side of stuff only. I'm geared towards allying with Japan and warring against the Nat Chi and the UK Alliance.

Back to Greater Tibet:-

Tibet and Greater Tibet comparison
2tibetcomparexk3.jpg

Comments/feedback welcomed. Go forth and help Dalai Lama achieve his security. Well, if you generals are able, nothing is stopping you to go beyond that :)

Nice idea.
If you plan to continue this, you should perhaps ask if a moderator can move it to the AAR section?

You need to wage war with Nat China and her ally Xibei San Ma to gain an additional 6 full core ICs from Golmund(5) and Lanzhou(1). If you take on UK and her puppets, you gain 7 full IC from Bhutan(5) and 1 each from Dinapur and Srinagar.

Don't forget, even with these becoming core provinces, you'll still pay occupied territory maintenance (OTM) untill NatChina, Xibei San Ma, Nepal and the UK are annexed.
Having OTM for your own core's really played mayhem with my TC in a post Bitter Peace SU attacking Germany.
Although annexing the first three won't be that much of a problem if you time it right with the Japanese attacking them, the UK might be an issue.

Maybe Tibetan battleships will be necessary for that to happen. :D

I have seen some of the AARs and my god they are detailed especially Le Ran's award winning AAR! Mine gonna be lighter reporting in comparison and probably some questions/opinion that I'll seek from you generals out there on my strategy! So it is not so much of AFTER action report :) The level of updates should be like my Ottoman campaign (link in my signature).

I plan to start my game on DD v1.3 Normal/Normal on DAIM mod. I have always been playing Hard/Aggresive but I rather not this time, as I believe it's already hard enough.

Yes, go forth the glorious Tibetan army and spread the goodwill of the Lama and Buddhism thru-out Asia and beyond!

what about to improve the techteams/minister of Tibet? Unless you´re playing Arma with Techteam Takeover, it should be very hard to achieve technological advance, or do you want do fight with 1939 inf in e.g 1945?

but your work looks really good!

I intend to stick to the existing list of ministers as not to over-edit and make Tibet more than what it should be which I regard as 'cheating'. However on the tech team, there is a problem of only one team given for Tibet. To address that, I plan to make 4 more copies of this original team so that more tech teams are available when the 20/40/60/80 IC thresholds are fullfilled.
I have no Arma so there is no team takeover option for me. For technological advancement, I'll think that I'll really need blueprints from a major power ally. I am aiming for Japan which has no conflict of interest of the new cores added. For this reason, UK alliances will have to be my enemy. Let's see if I survive :p

Decided to start the Tibet campaign with Normal/Aggressive setting instead of Normal/Normal. Worried about passive AI.
It's time to flex Dalai Lama’s muscle train the monks to be soldiers. A testing ground is required. After building one militia to support the starting 2 militia + one 1918 infantry, Tibet declare war on Sinkiang on 3rd March 1936. Focus on hapless Sinkiang first as it has no alliance with Nat China with comparable military strength with Tibet.
While on the eastern front, Nat Chi and Com Chi is battling it out and Guangxi Clique attacked Nat Chi as well. Xi’an incident kicked in on 28th June trigger peace between Nat and Com, and Nat chi continue war with Guangxi.
While the China battles rages on, Tibet trade for $$$ like crazy up to ~$10/day. Italy is the savior, where $5 came from them alone. Cash needed to influence and ally with Japan later.

3sinkianggi9.jpg

Woohoo! Sinkiang capital Urumqi fell and is annexed by 23rd Sept’36. As expected, a bounty of 20k energy, 20k metal and 5000 rare and oil is added to Tibet's pool, a secret resource stash which I suppose were placed there by Paradox as an Easter Egg find. :p
These resource will be important in funding infantries gear purchases! ;)

It’s 1937 and with relations with Japan at 200, I ally with a 100% chance. $$$ not needed so much anymore, focus is now on stockpiling of supplies for trading.
After repeated attempts and by Feb 3rd, I manage to get three Japanese divisions below in exchange of 5000 energy, 5000 metal, 3000+ supplies & some oil. But damn! One of them is an 1918 infantry! Got to live with it. Also obtained Early Infantry Blueprint.
4buythreeuv3.jpg

A month later on March 1st, traded to have two more Jap infantries! Now there is more Japanese gears then Tibetan! One of them is an Infantry with Engr brigade for mobility.
5buytwomoreqo2.jpg

With this Dalai Lama have a total of 6 infantry divisions + 3 militias to prepare for the upcoming war with Nat Chi. All IC is poured into manning the purchased infantries from Japan. IC sliders of Tibet.
6icslidersjn0.jpg

More freebies from my ally on 25th Apr. Can Tibet say no? Simply irresistible!
7freebiestechvd7.jpg

Tibet 1st tech researched on 11th May. That’s a long 1 year 4 months! But it gives +20% organization boosting the fighting capability significantly!
8techjv7.jpg

Anti-Comintern Pact signed by Japan, Italy & Germany on 28th Feb. Yes! Tibet will be assured of a place in Axis eventually!
More china clan battles, Shanxi join NatChi against Guangxi on 23rd Mar. Finally all hostilities ended on 20th May 1937, the short lull before the bigger things to come. :rolleyes:

Lord Finnish said:
What has fur, is slow, and has armor plating?

A Tibetan tank, ofcourse!

If I were to have a Tibetan calvary, I gonna call it 1st Yak division because they ain't horses! :rofl:

Marco Polo incident triggered at last on June 16th 1937, Japan and Tibet allies declare war on China alliance. Have not completely manned the recently bought divisions from Japan, only about 2/3 to ¾ healed but have to commit them into battle. From Qamdo, the Tibetan Buddha Fist Army invaded north to Yushu province. From there fan out to the two Xibei San Ma VP provinces simultaneously.

9golmundub0.jpg

As the offense is taking place, 13 Yunnan + Natchi divisions attack province of Qamdo from eastern mountains routing the Tibetan Vanguard (Inf’18/Arty with 3/4 strength) who retreated to Lhasa. Could not back off from plan of attack to the north now. Press on to annex Xibei San Ma on 10th Sept. Banking on the rough terrain to slow down China advance!

With Xibei San Ma annexed a significant portion of the Tibetan cores are secured. Attack on Qamdo is beaten back when my STR and ORG recovered Tibetan Vanguard assisted by miltia move-in to defend province. From the strategic position on Xining, the primary thrust of Buddha Fist Army drove the Natchi and Yunnan troops away from Lanzhou and Ya’an, the next two core provinces to secure.

10xiningrz9.jpg

Key province of Lanzhou captured on 6th Jan 1938. Originally has only 1 IC but with China ‘transfer industry to interior' event, the IC count has increased to 4 ICs! Ripe for taking!
To overcome the problem of low organization and org regain of the Tibetan army, I use support attack command while a sole militia takes on the target province. The moment the militia reaches and captured the said province which immediately come under counter-attack, the support-attack Army switched to support-defence which allows my bulk of my army to move into the province at half the usual time minimizing org loss.

11lanzhoutv6.jpg

Nat Chi Chiang Kai Shek 1918 army is no match for Tibetan’s 1936 infantry one on one unless the org is too low. Switch to a +20% org regain minister to assist low organization issues. Tibetan TC is way overloaded due to holding on of Sinkiang which has partisan activity.

With Lanzhou captured, next target is Ya’an. March thru Tianshui as travel time is shorter! No Tibetan unit could travel directly from Lanzhou to Ya’an directly as the marching time is too long that will totally drain out the organization levels which could halt an attack march if a Yunnan unit appear on Ya’an. I find that an attack could be called-off even though the organization is not yet zero at about 5. I do not recall coming across this issue when playing other nations before. Is the morale too low (30%)?

12yaanhy6.jpg

There are two primary objectives for taking Ya’an. One is to secure it as a Tibetan core although worthless, the second one is grab the MP & IC rich province of Chengdu (20MP!!) & Chongqing (16ICs!!) marked by red stars. Yummy! :D

First target province of Chengdu captured by Buddha Fist Army (consisting of 5 infantries and 3 militias) on June 1938. As the Tibetan army is recovering, Japanese ally troop attack Chongqing from Nanchong!! But that is MY PRIZE!! The decision is to supply my troops to increase mobility and storm Chongqing to outpace Japanese cavalries that is heading the same way.

13sinchuankf7.jpg

And yes! Tibetan army reached Chongqing first on July 9th!! Yahoo!!
But Dalai Lama is less prepared for what happen next. On July 12th, the event Fall of the Dragon was triggered and all Tibetan captured province that has no core claims are given to Japan when China and her alliance are annexed!!! The two prized provinces of Chengdu and Chongqing is taken away from Tibetans!! What a major upset!! A terrible backstab at Dalai Lama by the Japanese ally! Damn! :mad:

The new Tibetan empire as of July 12th 1938. Purchase two garrison with MP brigades to keep Sinkiang partisan activity under check. The 'normal' thing to do is to release Sinkiang as a puppet but that means giving away 1/3 of the newly claimed territory which is unacceptable to Dalai Lama. Empire that is gained by spill of blood shall must be retained no matter the cost! At this point, all Tibetan China claims are in Dalai Lama’s possession plus Sinkiang who err… needs some Buddha enlightenment :p

14empirechinagf1.jpg

Only issue now is the Communist China who made separate peace with Japanese-Tibetan alliance in the midst of the China campaign. Peace treaty till Oct 1939. Their position is adjacent to Tibetan key province of Lanzhou so Mao Zedong certainly posed a future problem for Dalai Lama as the Japanese AI which Tibet is ally to may declare war on Mao anytime in future. And Mao is no roll-over, they are ~20 mostly ‘36 infantries on level 5 fortifications in the mountains! :eek:

Recently purchased a calvary division from Japanese ally in exchange of about 2000+ supplies. For Tibet, there is no production build, all geared towards supplies stockpiling as there is lack of manpower to support the build anyway. It also cost less manpower to buy divisions.
Well, since there is no horses in Tibet, the animal is naturally replaced by yaks instead. So it is aptly called Holy Yak 1st division! :)
15yakze6.jpg

I am actually slightly ahead in my game in 1939. I find that my Tibetan troops tend to withdraw early from battle even their org is NOT zero yet!! Perhaps about 5-10. Does anyone know what is the threshold for combat withdrawal??
I have one division slogging thru frozen mountain teritory with the others on support attack to drive away any enemy unit that came to defence. A number of successful battles could occur when I suddenly realise my attacking troop had already stop advancing... dang! Got to re-attack all over, another month gone!
I recall normally when unit org is zero, the attack will auto-halt. But in an army group with multiple units, the division that has zero org just continue to get strength losses but the overall group still continue to attack.