+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 39 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion

The text file is blank...

If you are using Vista, please go to the tech forums and look for advice there. Also, the game.log gets overwritten, whenever you start a new game, so please copy its content right after a crash, or rename the file to keep it from being overwritten.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

200k clubA Game of DwarvesHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCities in Motion
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDungeonland
    East India CompanyElven Legacy CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    Lead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Had a bit of a strange occurrence while playing yesterday. Got an uncontested PU which was nice, but got "A union is broken" within about 3 months due to religious issues, without getting "Demands for Toleration" first. Fair enough I thought, but when I checked Gelre, while they did have a new ruler, the PU was still active. I then got "Demands for Toleration" a month and a bit afterwards, which caused the union to break properly.

Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 29 July, 1675 Gelre is now our subject in a Personal Union.

Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 30 September, 1675 Event: 'We are ruled in a Personal Union' in Gelre.
    Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 16 October, 1675 Event: 'The Estates of the Realm assemble to pray' in Gelre.
    Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 20 October, 1675 Event: 'The Estates of the Realm acknowledge their ruler' in Gelre.
    Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 20 October, 1675 Event: 'A Union is Broken' for player.
    Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 20 October, 1675 Our stability has dropped.
    Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 20 October, 1675 Duke Diederik II rose to the throne in Gelre.
    Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 20 October, 1675 Event: 'Greeting the Foreign Emissaries' in Gelre.
    Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 20 October, 1675 Event: 'Directives to our Envoys' in Gelre.

Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 29 November, 1675 Event: 'The Estates of the Realm assemble to pray' in Gelre.
    Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 1 December, 1675 Event: 'Demands for Toleration' for player.
    Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 1 December, 1675 The Personal Union with Gelre has ended.
    Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 1 December, 1675 Duke Hendrik IV rose to the throne in Gelre.
    Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 1 December, 1675 Event: 'Greeting the Foreign Emissaries' in Gelre.
    Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 1 December, 1675 Event: 'Directives to our Envoys' in Gelre.
    Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 1 December, 1675 Event: 'Charm & Gregariousness' in Gelre.
    Game[messagehandler.h:224]: 1 December, 1675 Event: 'Our new ruler addresses the Estates' in Gelre.

Very strange! Since Gelre actually received a new ruler, this must be another case of a lag in the databases. Not ideal, but I don't think there is anything I can do about it.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDungeonland
    East India CompanyElven Legacy CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

With a lag in the databases, how long would that take to clear up? I've usually found those kinds of problems clear up on their own at the end of the month. With this one, I was able to send a couple of gifts to them between those two events to try and boost relations to the level where the PU would have been maintained. If it was database lag, interacting with the country diplomatically should've sorted that out, shouldn't it?

Not necessarily. For instance, the province window in recently-conquered provinces can take a long time to update, and in the meantime, you can't really do/see much in the province. I would assume that something is wrong in the event, but the key aspect - getting a new ruler in - worked!
    Mourning Magna Mundi

Hmmm...I haven't really ever noticed that kind of lag with the provinces to be honest. ^^;;; I know it turns up in the province window, but everything seems to work properly from day 1 in the ledger.

Well, assuming for a moment that it's not the database which is the problem here....I don't know a lot about the event scripting, but logically, it seems to me that it's event 521002 (Estates Assemble to Pray) that's off. Specifically, I'm guessing it's something with that event when the decision is made by the AI to break the PU immediately instead of giving me Demands for Toleration? Anything I can do to help narrow things down?

I had focused on the fact that the union continued, even after the death of the minor's monarch. So I failed to see the obvious: two events "The Estates Assemble to Pray." That gave me a clue, and I think I might have found the issue: An event fired outside of the setup event chain. This event is designed for unions that already exist at the beginning of the inter-confessional wars. I have now changed the setup events to detect whether a union is newly formed under the conditions of such wars. If so, we'll end the setup chain and go straight for a break-up.
    I believe that should fix this, but I don't know why.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Victoria 2500k clubCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: The Republic

When I formed Italy as Milan, I remained a duchy. My capital is outside the HRE, and I imagined I'd become a Kingdom. I formed an Empire sometime after conquering North Africa, and I got a new government tech, allowing Administrative Monarchy, and I hoped to atleast be king from then on. Maybe someway to remain Emperor regardless of the (hereditary) government form?

Good point. I'll make sure to add Italy to the list of Kingdoms.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

Quote Originally Posted by Helius View Post
    I had focused on the fact that the union continued, even after the death of the minor's monarch. So I failed to see the obvious: two events "The Estates Assemble to Pray." That gave me a clue, and I think I might have found the issue: An event fired outside of the setup event chain. This event is designed for unions that already exist at the beginning of the inter-confessional wars. I have now changed the setup events to detect whether a union is newly formed under the conditions of such wars. If so, we'll end the setup chain and go straight for a break-up.
    I believe that should fix this, but I don't know why.
    Not sure if it's relevant, but the inter-confessional wars never really started in this particular game, and the counter-reformation has since finished. I imposed the Catholic faith on the Empire, and due to the PU's and vassals I had during that period, I'm guessing there really just wasn't any state that could oppose me in power enough to set them off.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Victoria 2500k clubCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: The Republic

Perhaps it would be a good idea to make the title of King buyable from the pope or HREmperor. In history Burgundy almost did this, until it all fell apart.

Also, keeping the title of Emperor would be swell

Buying a title as a general rule, no. But Burgundy can become a Kingdom, if they get the Emperor to approve.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

Quote Originally Posted by pigglet82 View Post
    Maybe this isn't the place for these suggestions since they're not exclusively connected to the HRE, but since you included river tolls in your mod -- which I really liked -- I was just wondering if you've thought about doing something similar for estuaries? Controlling provinces like Riga (Daugova), Memel (Neman), Danzig (Vistula), Hinterpommern (Oder) et cetera, could give you a similar bonus (probably higher though), and give such provinces more strategic values in war/conquering.

I also like that you made 'river tolls' into provincial decisions with both positive and negative effects, and not just an automatic bonus. I've been thinking along the same lines when it comes to the triggered effect of sound_toll to something similar, but divide it into two or three decisions representing different toll percentages. The higher percentage collected, the more it will annoy the neighboring countries.

EDIT: Something that definitely would add to the strategic value of these provinces would be to remove the entire bonus for the owner if the province is occupied, and give the occupier half of it. If the province is returned to the owner at the conclusion of the war, the bonus comes back. If the province is ceeded to the occupier, there's no bonus, but the provincial desicion to reinstate the toll is again available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helius View Post
    That is an interesting idea, but may be overvaluing those provinces. The point of the river tolls is that they are a big trade-off, plus they affect the neighbor provinces. But anyone along the river can collect a toll.

In the case of controlling port/river mouth provinces, that would not be the same balance. What kinds of values and conditions for modifiers did you have in mind, anyway?
    Sorry for the late reply but I somehow missed that you had replied to my sugestion. I actually hadn't given any thought on how to do this - I just thought it would be an interesting addition. Plus, you know, that you probably would code it much more elegantly...

But when it comes to a trade-off I don't see why this couldn't work as the river tolls? Make the bonus somewhat bigger, and in return let it have economic and diplomatic effects on several provinces up each river, maybe 3-5 provinces. And as I suggested, if you separate it into a couple decisions representing different toll percentages -- and therefor different levels of effects on neighbors -- you give the controlling nation some choices.

Unfortunately I don't have much time for modding at the moment due to other projects, but if you wanna run with it or pass it on to someone else in MM, please do. If not I will look into it when I find some time.

Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: Revolutions

idea scope

um, does the idea trigger work in province scope?

from ideaevents.txt:
    Code:
    # religious disorder/ middle-class resentment
    province_event = {
    	id =  6171
    	trigger = {
    		idea = humanist_tolerance
    "Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

No. Thanks for reporting!
    Mourning Magna Mundi

Hmmmm....I seem to be getting occasional events informing me about estates being restored after having recently lost and recovered the province, but I can't see any reason for them firing. I haven't had any rebels siege or take the province, no wars where an enemy has even gotten close to those provinces. Usually it happens with provinces where the estates were in place, and just extends the time until they go away on their own, but it occasionally happens in places where I've managed to get rid of the estates, which can be a bit frustrating.

EDIT: And another one with the estates. Had a vassal I'd assumed the debt and inherited make a demand for religious toleration. If I wanted to refuse it though, I'd get a revolt not only in its one province, but in another province on the other side of the world that once belonged to another vassal that was inherited after they went bankrupt and I assumed their debt.
    Last edited by Mukashi; 25-04-2009 at 09:27.

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaEUIV: Art of War

Revolutionary Germany

After browsing the German Republic thread on the Magna Mundi forum, I went to check the code about forming Revolutionary Germany (in revolutionpart2.txt).

While the code remove your territory from the HRE, it still keeps you as an elector if you're one. That may lead to strange events that are sure are not as designed.

In my current game as Prussia, I am hereditary emperor and the sole elector. As a test, I fired event 660100 to see how things would occur.

My territory left the empire as intened, I become a revolutionary republic and Spain became the new emperor. That's sensible in time of crisis that you choose a strong ruler to lead you.

However, I was still the only elector and would be able able to choose the next emperor. I let the game run for awhile, and no new electors were added. I was at least expecting to be stripped of my elector statute by the new emperor, but no.

Also, all the demesne land were tarnsfered to Spain, even those that are now German Republic core. I am sure these territories would fight to at least not be under foreign power if Germany exists. I assusme from the code that I should have kept those territories if they had not been immediately transfered to Spain when my ruler was killed by command.

Then, I added in the script a "elector=no" command before the "kill ruller" commande. In this try, I kept the demesne territories but saw the end of the HRE. I think it could be a sensible end if the new German Republic is strong and contains most German lands.

Otherwise, a weakened HRE should try to survive the blow with a new emperor and new electors.

Thanks for reporting! I'll fix that.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

Shouldn't it be SACRVM ROMANVM IMPERIVM instead of SACRA ROMANUM IMPERIUM?

SACRVM must agree with IMPERIVM in number (singular), gender (neutral) and case (nominative). SACRA would be either feminine singular nominative/ablative or neutral plural nominative/accusative.

U would be better replaced with V especially when capitalized, since U and V were not distinguished in classical Latin, nor were I and J.
    Last edited by patatohog; 28-04-2009 at 15:32.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 39 ... LastLast