+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 29 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion

What a great mod! But I have some question

1. What counts as a victory for Protestant side in the Interconfession war that will allow me to rewrite empire's laws, prince-electors,...? The manual did not say.

2. The mod rises my interest in HRE. So after a quick look on wikipedia, I find something quite interesting: "The King of Bohemia, who was in fact not a prince of the Empire but a neighbouring and independent monarch, might vote at an imperial election, but was allowed on no other occasion to meddle in the affairs of the Empire." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince-elector So in the mod, can Bohemia vote on the establishment of institutions?

How interesting! I don't trust the English-language Wiki much on historical questions, but I'll check out what the sites in other languages say.

In the mod, Bohemia can vote on Imperial Institutions, like any other member state.

The outcome of the interconfessional war depends on battles won, provinces captured, etc..
    To indicate the state of affairs, the triggered modifier that your country gets allows you to gauge who is winning.
    The explanatory text in the hover-help will say "The Emperor/Opposition has won a victory;" "... seems poised for victory;" or "... enjoys an adavantage."

A full-scale reform of the Empire's constitution will require a clear victory.

The rules for this will change, however, in a soon-to-be-released version update, which will also include a Thirty Years' War event chain.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

Thanks for the reply.

I have finally won the war, as the league of Brandenburg. One of the events gives me the choice between stripping three ecclesiastic Electors (Mainz, Trier and Cologne) of their electorships or incorporating into Imperial Demenses. Whenever I choose the second option, then the next event (the one allows you to choose the composition of electoral college) freezes my computer. The first option works fine.

I know this may be due to performance problem but while my computer is not a supercomputer, it's decent: DualCore, 4Gb RAM with nVidia 8600 256Mb.

No, it's probably the code that's wrong.

Just to make sure I understand the issue - you get the event that has two choices, a) give the bishoprics to the Demesne, b) remove their electorships.
    The game crashes, when you chooose option b) - but when, exactly, does it freeze?
    When you hold the cursor over the option button?
    When you click the button?
    Once the second event comes up?
    If the last, at what stage does it freeze? Before you pick an option?

Please clarify!
    Mourning Magna Mundi

Here is what happens:
    I choose to incorporate the bishoprics into Demenses. Then the next event, the one that allows me the decide composition of the electoral college appears. There are four options but all the options are grayed out. The game freezes.
    Thanks for your help.

Thank you! I think I may have found the cause.

For a hotfix, please
    1) in notepad, open the file EUIII/mod/SRI/events/HRE_War_of_the_League_of_Provincename.txt
    2) search for the string "id = 287422"
    3) scroll down a few lines to the following line:
    any_owned = { religion = THIS set_province_flag = beneficiary_RLD secede_province = RLD }
    4) delete that line
    5) replace it with the following:
    any_owned = {
    random_list = {
    50 = { religion = protestant }
    25 = { religion = reformed }
    25 = { revolt_risk = 4 }
    }
    set_province_flag = beneficiary_RLD
    secede_province = RLD
    }
    6) Save the file!
    7) Please let me know if it works, now.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

Wow that's fast.
    I have reloaded my save game and tried. Everything works like charm now.
    Thanks a lot.

Oh, and also I don't know if this is WAD but all the minors in my game go Bankruptcy after first 50 years. Bremen bankrupted 6 times, Frankfurt 5 times, others OPM around 1-3 times.

Also I wonder if there is something wrong with the England AI. In my first game they bankrupted 7 times in 100 years. In my second game, I decided to help them out a bit by switch to England, used the console to give them 10000 ducats. Then England got into a war with Scotland. It's a 1:1 war, no allies whatsoever. England actually lost some of their provinces. After 3 years of watching them losing, I wanted to see what going on by switching to them. Guess what I found. The Army of England is actually 2000, one in Calais, another on Ireland. They still had around 10000 ducats. The most bizarre thing was that their manpower was around 16000. And they did not recruit a single regiment. So I did it for them then switched back to Brandenburg. Oh, and I paused the game when doing all this.

So England won. Then they got into another the war with Ireland after 12 years. Once again, they lost Meath. Again, I switched to see what was going on (after waiting 3 years). Again, all England had is 2 regiment, both was in Calais. They actually disbanded the units in the last war. Their manpower was still at max, 17000. I then had to recruit several regiments for them and then left to them to win the war (which they did).

Btw, their navy is big. I think they actually increased the navy.

Glad all is fixed!

The AI's economy in vanilla seems majorly messed-up. I'm seeing early bankruptcies, too, and have not yet figured out what to do about them. England, in particular, has been underperforming. I'll do a few more tests to see what I can accomplish, before releasing the next version.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

If a the Catholc powers prevail in the Interconfessional wars what can a player expect to occur? Will Protestant provinces be forced back to Catholicism... etc?

Or as I would like to see; will a Catholic Emperor be given options to adjust the constitution of the empire, such as altering the electors, banning protestant rulers from being electors, or reducing the territorial possessions of the Protestant Belligerants?

The the thirty years' war is, IMO, as much, if not more about the constitution, composition and the administration of the empire as it is about religion. Early Protestantism was almost always perverted by rulers to serve the interests of their state. Ie: Henry the VIII of England broke with Rome after he failed to recieve an annulment. The same is true of Saxony sheltering Martin Luther, Protestantism provided religious justification for breaking oaths of fealty, marriage... etc, and other acts considered sacred.

Of course, I suppose this could be considered a pessimestic view of the adoption of Early Protestantism by rulers, but the point is that there should be more options for reform on both sides - especially considering that if a Catholic emperor prevails then his authority over the German states is likely to be unrivaled for years to follow. Likewise a loss would result in weakening his authority. Maybe a "nearly perminant" modifier could be put into effect either increasing or decreasing the HRE Imperial power depending on the wars results.

Yup, all that is pretty much along my line of reasoning. There will be an enormously complex set of choices for countries to propose to an international conference that concludes the Thirty Years War, for instance.
    I agree with the "cynical" view of the princes' interest in the Reformation. But consider the link between social revolution at the time and the ideas of Luther and Zwingli. Hence, the peasant war in SRI is already amplified during the early years of the Reformation.

Expect a new version (3.0) soon. I am currently running it buy some people who might help me detect bugs and errors before I let them loose on the player community.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

I'm curious... what are the triggers that cause an Interconfessional War? My motive for asking is to determine what actions are necissary to prevent it. Emperor Charles V struggled in vain to avoid the very wars represented in this module. Given more "favorable" circumstances and a helpful attitude in Rome this may have been possible. In such a case would it be possible to reduce the probability that a prolongued and violent struggle would occur?

Absolutely - grant universal toleration, when that decision comes up. The Protestants will be quite happy with that arrangement.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

It seems to me that the AI is unable to to establish Imperial institutions themselves. The highest institution that AI created in my game is the Law Code. Is there someway to remedy this?

This will really vary from game to game. I've had a recent one where the Imperial Army came into action, and the Emperor regularly raised the Imperial Tax.

Also, what year is it?
    Mourning Magna Mundi

Any idea when you plan to release 3.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Helius View Post
    This will really vary from game to game. I've had a recent one where the Imperial Army came into action, and the Emperor regularly raised the Imperial Tax.

Also, what year is it?
    It is 1575 right now. France had occupied all Burgundy, including those provinces that they don't have cores and belong to HRE for 20 years and had not given it back.

I don't know if this is too much work but maybe you can lower the requirements of imperial institutions just for the AI. Most of my games, if I leave it to the AI, HRE prestige is never more than 10.

Also, just for flavor, since Imperial Army is a separate tag in game, maybe you can apply a discipline or morale penalty. The Reichsexecutionsarmee was a multinational army. There would be many problems in such army like communication, logistics, insubordination,... and considering this is 15-18th century, these problems were only worse.

When a country is placed under the Reichsexekution, it is indeed subject to the invasion by random countries' armies.
    The Imperial Army gets called up under a different set of circumstances, and serves as much a purpose of gameplay and balance as one of historical respresentation.

As for Imperial Power, yes, you will get these kinds of games where the HRE languishes. There are already easier conditions for the AI to create institutions, too.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

Quote Originally Posted by james24eagle View Post
    Any idea when you plan to release 3.0?
    I'm working on it. Since I will allow for so much ahistorical, counter-factual stuff to happen, it takes a lot of balancing and tweaking.

Besides that, I ran into a gazillion of bugs & unexpected behavior of code I thought I understood.

That said, I'd go out on a limb and say, sometime by the end of next week.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

Bug report: I noticed that in event 287421 - the text of the message doesn't fit entirely in the box and both options are titled the same. I dont recall whether or not there were tooltips available if I hovered over each option.

Questions: Are there any special rules governing unions between electors or between electors and emperors? And, is there a way for the game to take into account (and thus transfer without penalty) the inheritance of an electorship? Ie: Historically Austria and Bohemia.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 29 ... LastLast