• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Johan said:
Don't forget that diplomacy and espionage comes from the same resource.
Oh, I'd missed that. :cool:

GeorgeTheWinner said:
Leadership sounds good, but what about the money? If diplomacy and espionage comes from leadership what is the money purpose?
Maybe you can invest it into getting leadership?

GeorgeTheWinner said:
Leadership sounds good, but what about the money? If diplomacy and espionage comes from leadership what is the money purpose?
Wild guess, but usually missions cost money + it takes people to accomplish the task ;)

Great info. But it raises some new questions - and leaves a bit of the cliffhanger from last time unanswered... :)

What if you call them bureaucrats instead of leaders? They don't do the actual research, but fill the vital role supporting the research projects.

It's a bit sad to see techteams go, but the new system sounds much better, I like it. Does it mean that now the old strategy of build lots of IC-build tons of infantry-steamroll everyone will not be as successful because you'll run out of leadership? Generally, how is leadership assigned to divisions - does each division cost X leadership, or do you allocate a percentage of leadership pool to serve as officers?

Very nice update again! I am getting more and more excited (as usual)!

I do not like leadership, too. When talking about a nations leadership, one does not think about it as research assistants or an embassy clerks.

I like educated manpower or brainpower better. If I come up with something intelligent myself, I'll post it :)

Oooh sounds interesting. This game seems to be gathering the best of all of the previous ones together...

In a game where you have to learn abbreviations like CTF, CAS, BCF, BP, SHBB, I think it would be ok to make up one more for the "Leadership" value. :)

Hmmm ... interesting. Not sure how I feel about this, except that I like "technicians" better than anything else that has been suggested. The new research model is potentially exciting, but ... not sure. I like the idea of a separate leadership value for units, distinct from manpower.

I am very much in favor of the locked view for counters. I've never seen a sprite I liked. :p

Last edited:
barney_gumble said:
Generally, how is leadership assigned to divisions - does each division cost X leadership, or do you allocate a percentage of leadership pool to serve as officers?

I hope there will be a certain level of leadership needed for divison so it can have all its stats 100%. But it should be definitely possible to make divisions with less leadership - then it should proportionally worsen division's stats (organization, efficiency?). It would represent i.e. real problems Germans or Japanese (in case of trained pilots) had late in the war.

kristoff said:
I hope there will be a certain level of leadership needed for divison so it can have all its stats 100%. But it should be definitely possible to make divisions with less leadership - then it should proportionally worsen division's stats (organization, efficiency?). It would represent i.e. real problems Germans or Japanese (in case of trained pilots) had late in the war.
Stats - yes, ldr should be a prime factor in being able to perform manoeuvre and doctrinal mission types - such as envelope, breakthrough, delay etc....

ecnan02 said:
I wonder if you will be able to build things like military academies or such (kind of like rocket test sites) that increase your leadership. Maybe some techs to simulate the same thing (though this would follow the agricultural production tech model for MP)

That's more of a Europe Universalis thing. The time frame involved with HOI is too short to look at big picture stuff like that. IMHO.

Leadership is a great concept but terrible nomenclature. Possible replacement names might be any of the following:
  • Professionals
  • administrators
  • managers
  • petty bourgeoisie
  • salarymen
  • scholars

sounds awesome

I love the idea of leadership points - now there will be no free lunches any longer. Now, if you want you can really emphasise research with an all out effort - but teaching more of your young bright people to work with research related task means that there wont be so much smart material left for the armed forces - which will hurt your future divisions performance on the field, and might even affect the growth of your economy (industrial capacity )

or you can militarize your nation, making army career to be a job worth considering, building a formidable officer corps - but leaving the universities and colleges with less able people...probably hurting research and economy in the long run.

To me this is what strategy games are about: players jugling to meet a set of demands with too scarce resources and trying to find the unique best compromise for the each country's own specific situation (which is hard to predict and will even differ from game to game ).