+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #4 - 5th of November 2008

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k club

Excellant! Can't wait ...

So long ...

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

"Smart guys" is the term you are looking for.
    Paint it white : a Skleroi AAR (intermittent)

Normandy&Bastardy rule the day in Let's play 900 years, a megacampaign :
    Game threads : CK - EU3 - EU3 reboot - Victoria - HOI2
    AAR threads : CK - EU3 - EU3 reboot - Victoria - HOI2

Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    Don't forget that diplomacy and espionage comes from the same resource.
    Oh, I'd missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeTheWinner
    Leadership sounds good, but what about the money? If diplomacy and espionage comes from leadership what is the money purpose?
    Maybe you can invest it into getting leadership?
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by.
    It ended abruptly in the middle of nowhere; would not pick again.
    A traveler

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeTheWinner
    Leadership sounds good, but what about the money? If diplomacy and espionage comes from leadership what is the money purpose?
    Wild guess, but usually missions cost money + it takes people to accomplish the task
    We can accept God becoming man to save man. But not man becoming God to save himself.
    -Vernon Linwood Howard

This looks great! I'm glad the camera will lock in 2d when I use counters.

I hope there is some way to influence leadership growth through sliders and buildings.
    Please check out my Space Race Mod for Darkest Hour.

Also, please check out my quasi abandoned AAR, The Great Crusade (HOI2) and its continuation in Arsenal of Democracy. I've also been working on a Great Crusade Scenario which will eventually come to Darkest Hour.

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Darkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandGalactic Assault
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Great info. But it raises some new questions - and leaves a bit of the cliffhanger from last time unanswered...

What if you call them bureaucrats instead of leaders? They don't do the actual research, but fill the vital role supporting the research projects.
    "Sturm, Schwung, Wucht"
    "Cry ‘Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war." - Shakespeare, Julius Caesar Act III Scene I

Quote Originally Posted by blue emu
    Technicians?

How about entrepreneurs?

It's a bit sad to see techteams go, but the new system sounds much better, I like it. Does it mean that now the old strategy of build lots of IC-build tons of infantry-steamroll everyone will not be as successful because you'll run out of leadership? Generally, how is leadership assigned to divisions - does each division cost X leadership, or do you allocate a percentage of leadership pool to serve as officers?

Very nice update again! I am getting more and more excited (as usual)!

I do not like leadership, too. When talking about a nations leadership, one does not think about it as research assistants or an embassy clerks.

I like educated manpower or brainpower better. If I come up with something intelligent myself, I'll post it

Manners Makyth Man Demi Moderator Lord Strange's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

the most dangerous place to which a young man can be sent.
    Oooh sounds interesting. This game seems to be gathering the best of all of the previous ones together...
    Founder of the Lord Strange School of Thought

If I'm speaking in Gold, it means I'm speaking in my capacity as a Demi-Mod.
    Any other colour, it's your choice whether to pay attention or not

For the cities which were formerly great have most of them become insignificant; and such as are at present powerful, were weak in the olden time. I shall therefore discourse equally of both, convinced that human happiness never continues long in one stay.
    Herodotus of Halicarnassus

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

In a game where you have to learn abbreviations like CTF, CAS, BCF, BP, SHBB, I think it would be ok to make up one more for the "Leadership" value.
    21 years old and totally consumed by a video game, got to be wrong somewhere. But sadly many people lack intelligence and are forced to play video games.
    Sad, read a book. - Anonymous 39.

...history changes all the time. It is constantly being re-examined and re-evaluated, otherwise how would we be able to keep historians occupied? We can't possibly allow people with their sort of minds to walk around with time on their hands.'
    -------Lord Vetinari (Terry Pratchett, Jingo)

Looks well sweet paradox! keep it up

Resident, Fawlty Towers Chaplain's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Hmmm ... interesting. Not sure how I feel about this, except that I like "technicians" better than anything else that has been suggested. The new research model is potentially exciting, but ... not sure. I like the idea of a separate leadership value for units, distinct from manpower.

I am very much in favor of the locked view for counters. I've never seen a sprite I liked.
    Last edited by Chaplain; 05-11-2008 at 17:58.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by barney_gumble
    Generally, how is leadership assigned to divisions - does each division cost X leadership, or do you allocate a percentage of leadership pool to serve as officers?
    I hope there will be a certain level of leadership needed for divison so it can have all its stats 100%. But it should be definitely possible to make divisions with less leadership - then it should proportionally worsen division's stats (organization, efficiency?). It would represent i.e. real problems Germans or Japanese (in case of trained pilots) had late in the war.
    Have you already enlisted? Rome is awaiting you! Legio XXI Rapax: https://www.facebook.com/legioxxirapax

Vae victis!

Field Marshal of SKIF (Scytth, Kristoff & BeBro unit icons):
    SKIF homepage:http://www.star.net.pl/~scytth/hoi2/page/index.html I SKIF forum thread: http://www.europa-universalis.com/fo...18#post5136918

Hoi 2 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by kristoff
    I hope there will be a certain level of leadership needed for divison so it can have all its stats 100%. But it should be definitely possible to make divisions with less leadership - then it should proportionally worsen division's stats (organization, efficiency?). It would represent i.e. real problems Germans or Japanese (in case of trained pilots) had late in the war.
    Stats - yes, ldr should be a prime factor in being able to perform manoeuvre and doctrinal mission types - such as envelope, breakthrough, delay etc....
    For God, King and Country - A MARCH OF THE EAGLES AAR
    "That there is one damn fine coat you're wearin'." x2 - Marv, Sin City.

Quote Originally Posted by ecnan02
    I wonder if you will be able to build things like military academies or such (kind of like rocket test sites) that increase your leadership. Maybe some techs to simulate the same thing (though this would follow the agricultural production tech model for MP)
    That's more of a Europe Universalis thing. The time frame involved with HOI is too short to look at big picture stuff like that. IMHO.
    May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.

Patton

I like these weekly diary threads. Keep it up.

General der Tso's Chicken Bullfrog's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Leadership is a great concept but terrible nomenclature. Possible replacement names might be any of the following:
    • Professionals
    • administrators
    • managers
    • petty bourgeoisie
    • salarymen
    • scholars
    "We’ve been looking for the enemy for several days now. We’ve finally found them. We are surrounded. That simplifies the problem of getting to these people and killing them."
    -Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Non compost mentis

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

sounds awesome

I love the idea of leadership points - now there will be no free lunches any longer. Now, if you want you can really emphasise research with an all out effort - but teaching more of your young bright people to work with research related task means that there wont be so much smart material left for the armed forces - which will hurt your future divisions performance on the field, and might even affect the growth of your economy (industrial capacity )

or you can militarize your nation, making army career to be a job worth considering, building a formidable officer corps - but leaving the universities and colleges with less able people...probably hurting research and economy in the long run.

To me this is what strategy games are about: players jugling to meet a set of demands with too scarce resources and trying to find the unique best compromise for the each country's own specific situation (which is hard to predict and will even differ from game to game ).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast