• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Johan said:
A German Infantry Brigade with
- Mauser Karabiner Model 1898 (upgrading to 'Mauser Karabiner Kar 98k' (23%))
- Panzerfaust 30
- Maschinengewehr Modell 34 (upgrading to 'Maschinengewehr Modell 42' (2%))
etc

Does this mean we can even equip our Infantry units with select equipment? Sounds intriguing. :) I'll try to replace regular rifles with assault ones by '46. :p

Johan said:
I don't understand some people's concerns.

Isn't it MORE historically flavoured to get..

- Panzerfaust 30
etc

THAN

Infantry Division - Model 1941.

Yes, definitely. But it sounded (to me) like we were getting:

A German infantry brigade with generic rifle +2, AT device +3, and MG +1.

While I understand that this may work better in terms of reflecting combat power, it's the names that add the historical flavour. The companies. The models. Are you saying that these names will still be in the game? If so, I am relieved. (Even though I grieve the loss of tech teams.) If not, it feels so ... CC3.

Chaplain said:
While I understand that this may work better in terms of reflecting combat power, it's the names that add the historical flavour. The companies. The models. Are you saying that these names will still be in the game? If so, I am relieved. (Even though I grieve the loss of tech teams.) If not, it feels so ... CC3.
I don't see why we WOULDN'T get the model names.

I just hope the map of Australia isn't really crummy like it was in HoI2. At least state boarders should be recognisable.

Alojzy said:
But there are no models in game, so no model names either. ;)

/me sighs

from another thread:

Johan:

Bingo. Of course ships/units will have proper historical names.

But instead of "Improved Battleship" as the model, we will have names for every part that makes up a battleship, and where there are historical models that match, you'll see those names too.

I leave it to you to figure out yourself what that means for ground units :rolleyes: :cool:

I will have no real interest in developing the ModestustwinEngine 109 just to win the game or smashing through sedan with perhaps a superior but some ModestusPZ variation of a PZ IV

I know its all an illusion but I don't like this make your model idea one bit. for me at least this illusion is an important part of the appeal. :(

Darth Tracid said:
/me sighs

from another thread:

Johan:

Bingo. Of course ships/units will have proper historical names.

But instead of "Improved Battleship" as the model, we will have names for every part that makes up a battleship, and where there are historical models that match, you'll see those names too.

I leave it to you to figure out yourself what that means for ground units :rolleyes: :cool:

See, that's why I used ;) emote.
Naming things in wrong way in such discussion can lead to funny missunderstandings.

Modestus said:
I will have no real interest in developing the ModestustwinEngine 109 just to win the game or smashing through sedan with perhaps a superior but some ModestusPZ variation of a PZ IV

I know its all an illusion but I don't like this make your model idea one bit. for me at least this illusion is an important part of the appeal. :(

So...you DON´T like the option to make models apart (or between) the historical models....right. I´ll get that to the devs then :wacko: ;)

I think the new system has much more potential than the HOI2 system. If properly implemented it would match the actual R&D a little bit better and would need more thinking well in advance.

I would love to see the historical unit names there, but this is not something that should stop an amazing new system. Maybe, the user will be allowed to define model names, so you can call Matilda to your... new Rolls-Royce Merlin engine, eliptic wing fighter? :p

Anyway, I think it is much worse to have the very same unit for every country in the game with the historical name.

Darth Tracid said:
So...you DON´T like the option to make models apart (or between) the historical models....right. I´ll get that to the devs then :wacko: ;)

Thank you very much the quicker the better. :)

I like the new system quite a bit, just wanted to put my two cents in. I never really liked the HOI2 tech system (tech teams aside), and am looking forward to picking and choosing what I'll work on. Keep up the good work!

OK, it seems that there are far more depth and flavour in the tech system than I have comprehended form the diaries so far. My fears of a game without historical flavour is gone.
Tack så mycket Johan för uppklaringen, jag er mycket lugnare nu :D

Johan said:

- Panzerfaust 30
etc

THAN

For some strange reason, I've got the feeling that we're going to have model names in the game.

EDIT: I underlined - bolded out wrong words. :eek:o

Last edited:
Johan said:

- Panzerfaust 30
etc

THAN

it is of course.

i would love to see that, i think some people have misunderstood your intentions.

but, could we retrieve our rifles for equipping reserved divisions?

Many people seem to be sad about the loss of tech teams. To be honest, I never found it very historic when an energy company researched half of the land doctrines, because it simply was the fastest tech team for that (and you must admit, such things happened a lot).

That was rather annoying than adding historical flavor.

TheLand said:
Along with Walter Model, of course.
A truly bad pun. It made me laugh.

Seems like there will always some disappointed people.

Regardless what you do, it's not enough or simply wrong.

I think it the new model (not Walther) sounds fantastic and it has a unique "sandbox" feel which I really missed in HOI2 with it "all the same for everyone" tech tree.

And about upgrading Fokker DVII with X-4 missles and MG231 revolverguns- I am sure this problem is easily solved by a max. cap so the tank/plane can only use new technology to a certain grade.

Snowmelk said:
Many people seem to be sad about the loss of tech teams. To be honest, I never found it very historic when an energy company researched half of the land doctrines, because it simply was the fastest tech team for that (and you must admit, such things happened a lot).

That was rather annoying than adding historical flavor.

That's one side of the medal, but what about having Guderian (and his staff, it's a team of course) research the Blitzkrieg doctrine?
I always gave orders for important new naval model research to Blohm & Voss, as they are based in my hometown rather than to the Kriegsmarinewerft despite them having better stats. :cool:
Also I never let Göring research anything, as that fat incompetent idiot surely would have screwed up anyway. That's a thing I'm going to miss.