• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In theory I like the sound of it, but like others I am a little worried that we lose the 'flavor' of WWII by having no models. As was mentioned earlier if we can create a specific unit and then name it and produce it as eg T34 etc then it will be just as good I think.

Id just hate to think we end up with a bunch of "Tank w/ gun+1"s running around, and then to research a new gun and see it change to "Tank w/ gun+2" or something.

And will the AI have some kind of database to draw on to name it's units within some kind of historical context?

Also will the actual 3d models used for units change based on the tech used? (Kind of like the old Alpha Centauri game)

Looking forward to some more details ... I hope ;p

M

Akjosch said:
Hmm... No Heligoland after all, it seems. And will we get differing water depths? Could be important for sub warfare, in particular.

I say agin, submarine warfare hardly ever happened underwater. The only time 'submarines' (If you can call them that) submerged was when threatened, and since this isn't Silent Hunter, tiny aspects of submarine war fare should not be included.

I am deeply dismayed at the removal of tech teams and models from the engine. This reduces a delightfully historical context to a mind-numbingly generic one. I no longer send my 5th Guards Division with T-34's and BT-7's into combat, now it's just generic. Ugh. I do not like this at all.

Gigalocus said:
I say agin, submarine warfare hardly ever happened underwater. The only time 'submarines' (If you can call them that) submerged was when threatened, and since this isn't Silent Hunter, tiny aspects of submarine war fare should not be included.

It's not about sub vs. sub warfare, but about the ability of subs to retreat into safety when overwhelmed, or hide and sneak up on ships. These aspects shouldn't be included per se, they should simply affect the simulation a tiny bit.

It's the sum of such tiny bits which gives you the edge you need to beat up on a roughly equally matched enemy, after all.

Chaplain said:
I am deeply dismayed at the removal of tech teams and models from the engine. This reduces a delightfully historical context to a mind-numbingly generic one. I no longer send my 5th Guards Division with T-34's and BT-7's into combat, now it's just generic. Ugh. I do not like this at all.

Except they weren't BT-7s, they were Generic Light Tank Xs with exactly the same basic stats as the same level light tank of every other nation, modified only by doctrine.

Karelian said:
Excellent news! I´m sure that the naming system from original HoI will come along as well, so no worries with generic names either.
Ok, can someone enlighten me about the HoI1 system, because I have never played HoI1.

Van Diemen said:
Ok, can someone enlighten me about the HoI1 system, because I have never played HoI1.

Each technology had a IC cost and research times.

For example a great land doctrines, it was 30IC during 300 day.

And there was a lot of technologies...several level of fuselages, several types of rifles, a lot of doctrines...ans the best technology...the nuclear reactor...+25% IC :D

Thanks for the update Johan! :)

I'm a bit sad to see the tech teams go. they added so much historical flavor and national character.

But I'm dancing in the street with joy over the scrapping of the research slot system. I intensely disliked the idea that an empire like UK only could think about five things at any given time.

I'll wait til next week and the next update to speculate some more.

PS Can I preorder the Collectors Edition yet???? :D

Earl Uhtred said:
Except they weren't BT-7s, they were Generic Light Tank Xs with exactly the same basic stats as the same level light tank of every other nation, modified only by doctrine.

Now you build them and you can give them a name yourself, if not in game, then by roleplaying.

That said, I hope that giving specific names to specific models in included!

Johan said:
As a general rule, there are of course exceptions, theoretical bonuses tend to cover a wide spread of technologies while the practical bonuses are more specific. To give an example we have a broad theory aeronautic engineering, that covers the majority of aircraft techs as a theory, however practical is divided up into 3 narrower categories, single engine (FTR, INT & CAS), twin engine (TAC & NAV) and four engine (STR & TRS). We also have the ability that one technology can give bonuses to as many unit types as we like. So for aircraft, you can have very general techs like aircraft engine that boost all aircraft (yes you can but a Merlin Engine on your Lancaster bomber), practical group techs like single engine airframe (these improve FTR, INT & CAS) and finally highly focuses techs like air launched anti ship weapons that only improve NAV (this tech also gains bonuses for accumulate naval research experience).

Can't say I understood this. Is "Aircraft Engine" one of the "broad theory aeronautic engineering" techs? Or is is aeronautic engineering an actual tech needed for everything? And are there only these 3 practical aircraft techs?

Last edited:
Thanks Johan for the info. Nice screen shot btw. I'll reserve judgment on the new tech system though till I see some screen shots and next week's DD.

Gigalocus said:

When talking of sub warfare it's not a matter of sub vs sub. they rarely battled each other and even more so underwater. But with better capabilities to stay underwater they made an easy escape especially against ships with no anti sub weapons. A CV task force was badly of against subs without proper ASW equipment. but also radars was a great help for the british as they was optimized to spot subs snorckling from the air. which often caught them of guard. but if the aircraft was spotted in time they had no means of ever hitting the submarines. they could of course drop depth charges at random but they had to be more than lucky to achive a hit. as a such it is a totally different kind of warfare that developed very greatly during the whole war. as much as both the air warfare and the land warfare.

So you'll now endeavour on projects with dynamic settings instead of tech teams - HOI2 syle ?

Can't the projects be assigned to teams like we had in HOI2 ? Just for flavour.

And how many projects can a nation handle at a certain moment - still realated to IC ?

Skolehaven said:
When talking of sub warfare it's not a matter of sub vs sub. they rarely battled each other and even more so underwater. But with better capabilities to stay underwater they made an easy escape especially against ships with no anti sub weapons. A CV task force was badly of against subs without proper ASW equipment. but also radars was a great help for the british as they was optimized to spot subs snorckling from the air. which often caught them of guard. but if the aircraft was spotted in time they had no means of ever hitting the submarines. they could of course drop depth charges at random but they had to be more than lucky to achive a hit. as a such it is a totally different kind of warfare that developed very greatly during the whole war. as much as both the air warfare and the land warfare.

Your just proving my point, by adding in a new layer to the sea, means 'submarines' click 'submerge' and fleets can't follow/attack them without ASW. Thats not the case, not the case atall.

'Submarine' submerging is abstracted in other ships low detection of them. U-boats can sail from one end of the Atlantic sinking ships at will in this submerged layer. They sail on the surface. However, when attacked, most ships have low sub-attack ratings, therefore, the submarine 'submerging' and sneaking away is abrastracted into this, so theres no need for a new deep layer under the surface for submarines only. It makes no sense for the time period.

Hmmmmm. :)

This all just sounds excellent :D

I love the tech, but you left me with a desire to know what it does depend on :(