• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ROMANU said:
I still don't get how the research would work, it has to be tied to IC

in any case
London
Paris
Bruxelles
Amsterdam
Hamburg
Munchen and
Berlin

are not the only urban areas in Europe, and with the much smaller provs you could certanly add many more urban areas

As others have speculated Research pts - maybe -?!

I believe "urbanised" areas were less in number during the last century.

Alex_brunius said:
I agree with you. Reliability feels like a value to modify how fast tanks loose org from moving. Researching this could make them go longer over more difficult terrain. As I understand it this was they only point where German armor was inferior.
Or it may just be another factor that provides the battle-engine with a modifier as to how much of a division/unit can be brought to bear against an opponent. Factors such as terrain/theatre (desert, arctic, jungle will no doubt decrease the amount of a division that would be at readiness to assault an objective. But this is just my idea of it.

GeorgeTheWinner said:
So tanks like T34 would not be represented is the game (I mean not models but at least name of the tank)?

I think that when they say models they mean "Early Light Tank", "Basic Light Tank", Improved Light Tank". Not the flavor names given to the various categories.

Johan said:
single engine (FTR, INT & CAS)

The Hesnchel 129 and Breguet 693 are two engines Close Air Support aircrafts :D
And heavy fighters ?... :(

But it's nice :)

Just a thing about doctrines, in HoI2 the possibility to change our doctrines tree was very usefull, but we needed the specific team off course, otherwise we had to wait 5 years before having a brand new strategy...so why, in HoI3 have we to wait the fire experience ?

ROMANU said:
I still don't get how the research would work, it has to be tied to IC

in any case
London
Paris
Bruxelles
Amsterdam
Hamburg
Munchen and
Berlin

are not the only urban areas in Europe, and with the much smaller provs you could certanly add many more urban areas

If you noticed in the campaign maps shown before, most major cities had large numbers of buildings on the provinces. I think it means that they are an urban area. (For instance, in the English screenie, there was large amount of buildings in London (Which was urban in HoI2) and Birmingham (Which was also urban in HoI2). Paris and Berlin also fill out those conditions.

Other than that, you'd have every Western European Capital, plus important cities: Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla (?), Marseilles (?), Milan, Roma, Copenhagen, Edinbourgh, Glasgow (?), Warsaw (?), Vienna, Budapest (?), Bucarest (?), Belgrade (?), Istambul, etc.

On another matter, how can you research reliability? That seems a rather odd thing to be researched.

On a final note, great map, the Channel Islands seem rather big though.

You don't have to wait, as far as I understood it, but you won't be doing very well developing good mechanised warfare doctrines in 1936 unless you play a country that starts the scenario with some preset knowledge/experience (i.e. Germany) - or, perhaps, gets lucky with a random event.

I do, however, have one more question for the Paradox programmers: How does the system for sharing theories and practical experience with one's allies look? Will it be possible to differentiate between the gains from sharing theories and practical experience? And, last but certainly not least, will it be possible to set the AI to actually share knowledge in a profitable manner instead of, for instance, the UK making a great effort to prevent the RCN from equipping its ships with British-designed ASDIC?

Edit: The first paragraph was written in reply to Kouak.

Kouak said:
Just a thing about doctrines, in HoI2 the possibility to change our doctrines tree was very usefull, but we needed the specific team off course, otherwise we had to wait 5 years before having a brand new strategy...so why, in HoI3 have we to wait the fire experience ?

The new model is actually fairly representative of how doctrines developed.

Each army developed a set of theoretical concepts in the 20s and 30s. Then during the war, mid-level officers started to notice "This bit of the manual is junk! We did it according to doctrine and got slaughtered!" or "The way the other side did this was really effective, we should make it part of our methodology".

No nation ever thought "our doctrine is rubbish, let's start from scratch" which is rather what is implied by the "abandon doctrine" feature.

Jolt said:
On another matter, how can you research reliability? That seems a rather odd thing to be researched.
It's a matter of design focus, and design focus is represented by research. For instance, the USSR focused on reliable and easy to mass produce tanks while Germany focused on designing tanks that would beat other tanks one-on-one and forgot it's a good idea to have more than half one's tanks actually operational.

Wobbler said:
You don't have to wait, as far as I understood it, but you won't be doing very well developing good mechanised warfare doctrines in 1936 unless you play a country that starts the scenario with some preset knowledge/experience (i.e. Germany) - or, perhaps, gets lucky with a random event.

If i can declare a war in 1936, that's right, i won't wait for changing school :D
Perhaps, or specialized organization...German armoured divisions will have a bonus...

Jolt said:
On a final note, great map, the Channel Islands seem rather big though.

A sprite needs place :D

And there is Channel islands ? and not l'île d'Oléron, de Ré ou d'Ouessant ? :eek:o

ROMANU said:
in any case
London
Paris
Bruxelles
Amsterdam
Hamburg
Munchen and
Berlin

I agree with you. I'd really like to see some more urban provinces.

A shame that with the models gone there no longer will be those epic discussions about which tank was better. :)

I agree with most people, the new system sounds really good.

ROMANU said:
along with the urban problem

poland and USSR seem to be much too hilly
and spain is much to plain

Well, yeah. The Iberian peninsula and the whole western Maghreb really need a lot more mountains. Good thing the map's easily modable.

Hmm... No Heligoland after all, it seems. And will we get differing water depths? Could be important for sub warfare, in particular.

Akjosch said:
And will we get differing water depths? Could be important for sub warfare, in particular.
That would require ALOT more sea provinces than currently on the map. Would be pretty cool though If carriers could have a range of a few zones away. Would make them very helpful for scouting aswell, not just finding fleets in their own zone.

Alex_brunius said:
That would require ALOT more sea provinces than currently on the map. Would be pretty cool though If carriers could have a range of a few zones away. Would make them very helpful for scouting aswell, not just finding fleets in their own zone.

No ... not really. The way the EU3 combat system works is by picking a terrain where the fight is taking place at random, weighted by the percentage of each terrain type in the province. So your subs might get caught in shallow waters if you're in a province with a lot of it, which would suck for them, or they might avoid that mostly while being in a province in the middle of the ocean. On the other hand, they might get a slight nudge in the probabilities depending on your technology level, stuff like that.

The date format looks a bit odd; it ought to read "5:00 on February 15, 1936".

Veldmaarschalk said:
A shame that with the models gone there no longer will be those epic discussions about which tank was better. :)

I agree with most people, the new system sounds really good.

It will just be replaced with "My light tank with the following research is better than your light tank that you got by researching that"

I am curious to know what part, if any 'tech stealing' would play? Can you learn about certain improvements the enemy has by facing them in battle numerous times?

Is there a way to say, capture Peenemünde and gain research or research ability?