• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
von Tairach said:
I would still like to see the models implemented in some way. Let´s say I build PzIII tanks and start pumping up their stats (Guns/armor/ etc.). There should, however, be a stats cap, that prevents the upgraded PzIII from having better armor than let´s say... a Konigstiger. The example is not clear, but I think you´ll know what I´m trying to say :rofl:

I like the idea of models too... but if you do some research (excuse the pun) youll find that most models were essentially a hull will lots of different components added to make them into variants.

At the end of the day, I can see that this approach already makes for a more powerful model, allowing players another layer of strategy when it comes to choosing their research/upgrade paths.

seboden said:
My guess:
1. Manpower
2. Dissent??
3. Diplomatic influence
4. Not sure. HQ points/Leadership, maybe??
5. ??? (Maybe ideological influence? There was some talk about a similar system of ideology as in HoI1 earlier.)
You're probably right about ideological influence. You can see black circle = Axis, Red = Comintern, Blue = Allies. And if you look closely you can see a small dot in between blue and red to show where Sweden is standing. But I don't know what the number 50 is.

I don't like to say this, since people complaining about the map at alpha stage usually annoy me, but can you please have somebody take another look at the geography/coast lines of the Schleswig-Holstein/Denmark area (Since my guess is that those will be finalised earlier than the province borders)?

2Coats said:
I like the idea of models too... but if you do some research (excuse the pun) youll find that most models were essentially a hull will lots of different components added to make them into variants.

At the end of the day, I can see that this approach already makes for a more powerful model, allowing players another layer of strategy when it comes to choosing their research/upgrade paths.
I just hope the new system will bring more freedom than limitation :) And ofc I don´t want to lose the feeling of "new Tiger divisions! Tremble, puny Russians!!!" :rofl: But that´s just a personal joy

Johan said:
they won't..

and upgrades will of course be per tech affecting each brigade/ship/wing.

This means that ships are confirmed to be upgraded aswell? I hope its only in regards to things like AA/Radar/Sonar and other auxiliary equipment.

Chaning main guns or hull on a battleship would be pretty hard :D

Seems like interesting stuff..and no tech teams!? :eek: ...now that will be odd indeed.

Im in full support of the concept that a 'basic' tank's stats are not the same at the beginning for every country. I hated that in HOI2. Leaving any changes to doctrine felt cheap, so Im glad thats gone.

Not sure what the point was with shot of europe...did not exactly add much to the proceedings.

How will upgrading work now that techs are divided down to guns/armor/frame/etc.? For example, let's say I build some average Sherman tanks. After a few are produced, I complete research on a tech that will upgrade its gun. Soon thereafter, I complete research on a tech that will upgrade the tanks armor. I now have two stats on my Sherman that can be upgraded. How does the system determine which upgrade comes first? Will the upgrades occur at the same time? Will we have any control over this?

seboden said:
My guess:
1. Manpower
2. Dissent??
3. Diplomatic influence
5. ??? (Maybe ideological influence? There was some talk about a similar system of ideology as in HoI1 earlier.)
I'd say 4 is victory points, or victory conditions attained. Don't know about 5, but ideological influence sounds reasonable. I agree with 1-3.

Oh, and I love the map! Pity the tech teams are gone. Well, that's what expansions are for... and I can now wait even less patiently for the next week, to see how the research fits together!

safferli said:
I'd say 4 is victory points, or victory conditions attained. Don't know about 5, but ideological influence sounds reasonable. I agree with 1-3.

Oh, and I love the map! Pity the tech teams are gone. Well, that's what expansions are for... and I can now wait even less patiently for the next week, to see how the research fits together!
Any chance 3 is Diplomats, or Diplomatic points?

Are countries given a finite number of experience points? In other words, would Spain, for example, have only 10 research points available to it at any given time? So they might start out with 2 naval points, 2 air, 2 tank, 2 infantry, and 2 industry - but over time the player spends more time and effort researching air and land techs, so they eventually end up with 0 naval, 4 air, 3 tank, 3 infantry and 0 industry?

Or is it all relative, meaning that Spain can maintain its tech levels in all areas with constant diligence, but still increase in specific fields that it concentrates in?

seboden said:
My guess:
1. Manpower
2. Dissent??
3. Diplomatic influence

5 could also be Researchpoints.

By the way. How are you going to change the supplysystem. There is no transportcapacity? I didn´t liked that anyway.

von Tairach said:
I just hope the new system will bring more freedom than limitation :) And ofc I don´t want to lose the feeling of "new Tiger divisions! Tremble, puny Russians!!!" :rofl: But that´s just a personal joy

GeorgeTheWinner said:
So tanks like T34 would not be represented is the game (I mean not models but at least name of the tank)?

Maybe you guys are missing the point?! You will be able to build these types - if and only if you research the components that make up such a construct/model! :)

So for example: Researching a heavy chassis, 88mm gun, heavy and sloped armour, etc.. will essentially provide your divisions with the capability of fielding Tigers. Rather than assigning an armoured/panzer division with a specific type of unit, the unit is changeable depending on what you research.

I suspect that the 2nd part of this diary, next week will explain alot more about how the system will work. So Id wait till then to see exactly how it does.

I am getting more and more excited with every diary!

Again, this sounds great :)

I do not understand one thing, though:

Johan said:
So if we take tanks here as example, you can separately research a tank gun, tank engine, tank armour and tank reliability (just for the record reliability effects the ability for the tank unit to withstand damage on the attack, unreliable tanks tend to break down).
If reliability effects the ability to withstand damage, what is armour standing for?

Just from the word "reliability", I would understand it as the chance of having a mechanical failure NOT due to an attack. Could this maybe be claryfied (or am I just dumb)? Thanks in advance!

If reliability effects the ability to withstand damage, what is armour standing for?
I'd guess that it effects general ability to withstand damage - increase in both defensiveness and toughness in HoI2 terms. Nothing that was stated suggests that there will be 1:1 ratio of upgrades and stats.

I wonder how producing older models will be handled with this detailed upgrade system? If I design new armour (thus probably increasing costs) will I be able to produce both better and worse armoured tanks?

Maciek

Some interesting information there.

This game has potential. I just hope we don't need to buy several expansion packs to really enjoy it.

The interface is looking good too.

I still don't get how the research would work, it has to be tied to IC

in any case
London
Paris
Bruxelles
Amsterdam
Hamburg
Munchen and
Berlin

are not the only urban areas in Europe, and with the much smaller provs you could certanly add many more urban areas

Snowmelk said:
Just from the word "reliability", I would understand it as the chance of having a mechanical failure NOT due to an attack. Could this maybe be claryfied (or am I just dumb)? Thanks in advance!
I agree with you. Reliability feels like a value to modify how fast tanks loose org from moving. Researching this could make them go longer over more difficult terrain. As I understand it this was they only point where German armor was inferior.