• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Liked everything so far. But I'm very sad to see the techteams go - maybe having starting techteams that develop when you use them would be an idea? Models gone too - Hope this won't kill the historical feel of the game - yes the HOI2 modelsystem was too rigid. Still... I want my T34 or Tiger brigades... waahhh ;)

Great update!

Like many others I’m sad to see the tech teams go, but the direction you guys are going sounds great. It always chaffed me that every country’s models have the same stats. One question (And maybe this will be answered next week) how will you differentiate between the tech effort between counties? Could it be money used as the separator?

Eagerly waiting. :D

Van Diemen said:
Ok, can someone enlighten me about the HoI1 system, because I have never played HoI1.

The way I recall it (though it´s been years since I played original HoI :rolleyes: ), each possible tech combination (like main gun and other similar tech for tanks) had their own, historical name at least in modded version.

I see no reason why this would not be the case in HoI3, since designers in Paradox aren´t stupid and they certainly know what´s the simple, but crucial difference between building Early Medium Tank (37mm)´s and Panzer IIIs, for example.

the new concept sounds interesting even so I will miss the models a bit.

Would have been nice with a small difference in the graphic animation from 36 to 45! I thinking about the units gives us players a feeling of progress and power!

Gigalocus said:
Your just proving my point, by adding in a new layer to the sea, means 'submarines' click 'submerge' and fleets can't follow/attack them without ASW. Thats not the case, not the case atall.

'Submarine' submerging is abstracted in other ships low detection of them. U-boats can sail from one end of the Atlantic sinking ships at will in this submerged layer. They sail on the surface. However, when attacked, most ships have low sub-attack ratings, therefore, the submarine 'submerging' and sneaking away is abrastracted into this, so theres no need for a new deep layer under the surface for submarines only. It makes no sense for the time period.
But if there are areas of differing depth in the sea "provinces", then, when picking an area on which to hold an engagement, the depth could still play a part in how likely a submarine is to manage to slip away from the enemy. IIRC, as it is now, they are hard to detect, but when detected they just seem to slug it out on the surface like any other warship. With differing depths, you could have the depth as a modifier on the submarine's chance of achieving the positioning value that favours it.

Gwalcmai said:
But if there are areas of differing depth in the sea "provinces", then, when picking an area on which to hold an engagement, the depth could still play a part in how likely a submarine is to manage to slip away from the enemy. IIRC, as it is now, they are hard to detect, but when detected they just seem to slug it out on the surface like any other warship. With differing depths, you could have the depth as a modifier on the submarine's chance of achieving the positioning value that favours it.

Ahh, now thats a fair point! Also include into that the weather! :)

Depending on how all this is put together I see there being a pull between roleplaying and annoying micromanagement. If they upgrades are instituted on a brigade by brigade level it will allow for enjoyable roleplaying and more efficient/realistic use of resources. E.G. Upgrading the guns on armoured brigades in divisions that will soon be launching an important offensive, while leaving less important units with older guns. That being said, as things are organised by brigades now that may end up being a tonne of micromanagement. The other alternative, basically like in HOI2 upgrading where resources are put towards it and units are given priority, will make the game feel a little stale. Like always, more information will make things clearer and it may all be fine.

I love it, sounds wonderfully complicated. Being able to direct unit dev according to need will be a much missed feature from HoI-1.

Also, the option of developing cheap, basic units to provide numbers supplemented by a solid core of elite units.

spamgoose said:
Depending on how all this is put together I see there being a pull between roleplaying and annoying micromanagement. If they upgrades are instituted on a brigade by brigade level it will allow for enjoyable roleplaying and more efficient/realistic use of resources. E.G. Upgrading the guns on armoured brigades in divisions that will soon be launching an important offensive, while leaving less important units with older guns. That being said, as things are organised by brigades now that may end up being a tonne of micromanagement. The other alternative, basically like in HOI2 upgrading where resources are put towards it and units are given priority, will make the game feel a little stale. Like always, more information will make things clearer and it may all be fine.

I understand your micromanagement argument, but the way they said brigades are going to work is that of course a division will be made up of several brigades. So I don't think micromanagement is going to be much of an issue, except you'll have to pay more attention to the expanded provinces and actually use the A.I to control some fronts. Yet, I think you'll just be spending alot of time in the Production screen really for fun to customize divisions. I really hope there isn't a lot of micromanagement, but I'm not a roleplayer and keep in mind even though you haven't said it, roleplaying isn't apart of Paradox's list of things to improve and personally, I think without models and techteams roleplaying will actually take a big hit.

Very interesting. :cool:

I noticed they have a mailbox section. They probably have it meant for choice Events, Trade Agreements, who knows. Seems cool.

I really like the new technology system despite the loss of the famous techteams, however I'm not really into the concept you can't support more than one "model" of a division. Because since Johan mentioned Britain's heavy tank brigade (Matilda II) and the Soviet's revolutionary medium tank (T-34), I thought we could have several different divisional templates for every unit.

I think the removal of models is sketchy since every nation will be having one model of each divisional template, thus couldn't modder's use several nations "single divisional model to have several models of each division? Perhaps that's hardcoded...

But it makes sense to me having only one model for each because it's like once the German's began manufacturing PzIV's in 1943, production for the PzIII should've stopped because the factories upgraded. Any PzIII are being historically refitted as StuG assault gun platforms and being upgraded to PzIV equipment. Thus you'll have old PzIII's sitting around waiting upgrading and their model is obsolete but statistics still existent. I think when it comes to Matilda's and Soviet IS-2 assault tanks/King Tiger's they'll be available as heavy tank attachments.

I just hope the developers in their 4th or 5th Development Diary they completely explain about how Brigades work, restraints, requirements, how Brigades relates to Production and Technology, etc. Because from what I know, I don't see a difference how having a division full of three heavy tank Brigades and one medium tank Brigade makes it a heavy tank division or not, because wouldn't that be more than one model? Unless if you just have a majority of Brigades in a division, they'll be represented by that graphic model.

Naga Niome said:
I really like the new technology system despite the loss of the famous techteams, however I'm not really into the concept you can't support more than one "model" of a division
Is that stated anywhere? I see many people posting about that but I can't find any information on it.. :confused:

Well, the tanks and ships will be differized somehow i guess, just as certain units do have names in eu3 aswell, but i hope players get the possibility to name their own little researched toys, I think it would have a nice flavor if as Germany you could create super-heavy tanks with the name "Sabretooth", or as the russian leader order your "Mammoth Tanks" (yep, C&C :D ) to steamroll Sweden :p

I definitely liked that bit about the land doctrines. This will definitely give some much needed flexibility and breathe new life into the land warfare.

Great update. Very intriguing.

Aye.

This is a great update. I don't know if I can wait until release date for this game. Maybe a pre-release demo, to hold us over until the official release. How many times can you say, "I WANT IT!"

Naga Niome said:
I understand your micromanagement argument, but the way they said brigades are going to work is that of course a division will be made up of several brigades. So I don't think micromanagement is going to be much of an issue, except you'll have to pay more attention to the expanded provinces and actually use the A.I to control some fronts. Yet, I think you'll just be spending alot of time in the Production screen really for fun to customize divisions. I really hope there isn't a lot of micromanagement, but I'm not a roleplayer and keep in mind even though you haven't said it, roleplaying isn't apart of Paradox's list of things to improve and personally, I think without models and techteams roleplaying will actually take a big hit.

Good points.