+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #3 - 29nd of October 2008

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Kayapo
    From what i understood in the other dev diary that is exactly how it is going to be. You'll still get flavor historical names for units but you'll be able to tweak them and make them unique. A bit more like it was in HOI 1 i guess.
    Hope this is the case

Quote Originally Posted by Hansag
    From what I've understood, if you're researching carriers, actually building carriers will make you gain experience of carrier design etc. as well, and thus giving a bonus to research.

This way, you can't just research 4-5 levels of carriers one year to catch up, but it might actually be a good thing to build a carrier or two as well, as you've researched them.
    As it should be. A country didnt just throw a carrier or tank design off the drawing boards for the first time and have it be an instant success on the battle field. it took experience to build it right and it took experince from battles to develope better doctrines to use it more effectively.

Im actually pretty excited about this new aspect of battle experience effecting doctrine research etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Hansag
    From what I've understood, if you're researching carriers, actually building carriers will make you gain experience of carrier design etc. as well, and thus giving a bonus to research.

This way, you can't just research 4-5 levels of carriers one year to catch up, but it might actually be a good thing to build a carrier or two as well, as you've researched them.
    But if you have a carrier, you accumulate technical experience for building better carriers, but you can improve your theories about this kind of materials...

We will see tomorow, if this question has an answer...
    "A poil !"

Homer Jay Simpson

EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSupreme Ruler 2020Rome: Vae Victis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouak
    But if you have a carrier, you accumulate technical experience for building better carriers, but you can improve your theories about this kind of materials...
    I think it should be: if you use a carrier (...)

Quote Originally Posted by Doomtrader
    I think it should be: if you use a carrier (...)
    It's the Germany case with the Graf Zepellin...

Military production won't improve theorical reseach, now it's sure
    "A poil !"

Homer Jay Simpson

EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSupreme Ruler 2020Rome: Vae Victis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouak
    It's the Germany case with the Graf Zepellin...
    Thats a good example

Mighty Johan....I beg you to consider the option of armored battalions for HOI III.

All through WWII there was zero Tiger armored Divisions or even brigades that I know of. Just think of the awesome flavor you'll be putting in with the possible "heavy battalion" of Tigers (or similar heavy tanks) attached to an armored division. Wow!!

Thank you so very much for your time.....Paradox is.....great!!

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Supreme Ruler 2020 Gold500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

why is european turkey not separated from asian turkey

General der Tso's Chicken Bullfrog's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by bshirt
    Mighty Johan....I beg you to consider the option of armored battalions for HOI III.

All through WWII there was zero Tiger armored Divisions or even brigades that I know of. Just think of the awesome flavor you'll be putting in with the possible "heavy battalion" of Tigers (or similar heavy tanks) attached to an armored division. Wow!!

Thank you so very much for your time.....Paradox is.....great!!
    Well considering that this was remedied in HOI2 I bet that it will make the cut into HOI3
    "We’ve been looking for the enemy for several days now. We’ve finally found them. We are surrounded. That simplifies the problem of getting to these people and killing them."
    -Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Non compost mentis

Eurogeddon Developer Terminator's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    What should also have noticed here that we no longer have models, instead we have technologies that increase the maximum values a unit can have and if unit can upgrade to these values it will. This allows us to do really nice things like divide up what would be a single technology that gave in a model in Hearts of Iron 2 in several separate techs. So if we take tanks here as example, you can separately research a tank gun, tank engine, tank armour and tank reliability (just for the record reliability effects the ability for the tank unit to withstand damage on the attack, unreliable tanks tend to break down). How we set these values can give a countries tanks brigades with different values with out the straight jacket of the nation specific unit. Take the early war British heavy tank brigade, well armoured, slow, under gunned and prone to breakdowns. We can create this effect through out technology system, but also giving the player the freedom to steer his country the way he wishes.
    Would be really nice to see a screenshot of the new tech tree. So far we've got only a verbal description of it.
    Eurogeddon: Thunderbolts of War (1933-1964)
    New Flag Design
    Eurogeddon: Powder Keg of Eurasia - Filefront.com (updated on Aug 23; re-uploaded on Sep 3, 2010)
    If you are a professional programmer and interested in a part time job of some sort, you can send me a private message

The Avatar of Time 4th Dimension's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Nice. Only problem is still with the map. No connection between Black Sea and the Mediteranian, and strech of Sava between Drina and Belgrade is missing.
    In my cookie jar
    Krofta Kookie! | PanzAARcookie! | Uniting Russia's Russian double-chip Peter Wrangel's chocolate cookie• | Got 10 in Timelines

To place foot upon tyrany's neck,
    to lead tyrants to knowledge of the right,
    this is the most sacred of man's duties!
    Bishop Danilo - The Mountain Wreath

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2

One thing about technology that needs to be changed is first encounter research boosts. What I mean by that is that when your nation encounters another nations supererior technology in actual battle, you have an easier time in reaching that level of technology. The examples that comes to mind is the T-34 leading to to the Panther and the M9A1 bazooka leading to the Panzerfaust.

One question I have is for concerning minor countries.
    1)First is how hard will it be to transfer techs to your allies? If I am playing the United Kingdom and I want to transfer my new doctrine to my New Zealand allies how long will it take them to learn the new doctrines.And will certain techs become common knowledge or at least easy to research as time goes on. For example if I play Spain and early on concentrate my research on land and production techs and around 1945 decide I need some new ships for my navy , how long would it take to come up with a decent Destroyer design ? One problem HOI2 had in my opinion was that smaller countries with only 2 tech teams could fall far behind and it became useless for them to even try to build certain units.

The Avatar of Time 4th Dimension's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

That might be solved with licensing. You can sell the right to manufacture something by selling them the licsence.
    In my cookie jar
    Krofta Kookie! | PanzAARcookie! | Uniting Russia's Russian double-chip Peter Wrangel's chocolate cookie• | Got 10 in Timelines

To place foot upon tyrany's neck,
    to lead tyrants to knowledge of the right,
    this is the most sacred of man's duties!
    Bishop Danilo - The Mountain Wreath

Feldmarschall von Toiletkrieg hebelecan's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and Gold
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionPirates of Black CoveSemper Fi
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

My god there is no bosphorus

It's an early alpha screenshot. I'm pretty sure the bosporus won't be missing in the final game.
    Hab keine Angst, zeig keine Scheu, denn nach der Bombe ist alles neu!

Libertatem quam peperere maiores digne studeat servare posteritas.

Even without tech teams, I hope that the devs are going to keep in the corporation or researcher team names for historical flavour? because the game would be really dull without the little touches that make it interesting and immersive.

Quote Originally Posted by kilolima View Post
    Even without tech teams, I hope that the devs are going to keep in the corporation or researcher team names for historical flavour? because the game would be really dull without the little touches that make it interesting and immersive.
    word!

Or at least make sure the game script supports it and we will hold modders hostage.
    Believe, Ob-hey give me back my Kinder Sorpresa! Fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy View Post
    Hope this is the case

As it should be. A country didnt just throw a carrier or tank design off the drawing boards for the first time and have it be an instant success on the battle field. it took experience to build it right and it took experince from battles to develope better doctrines to use it more effectively.

Im actually pretty excited about this new aspect of battle experience effecting doctrine research etc..
    Actually, this sounds like a great idea. Division techs can be based on how many have been built (or aggregate IC invested, to include things that take forever like carriers) over total IC. For doctrines, it can be based on either division exp over total IC (for how much total practical experience your country has with the field), or division exp over total divisions (how experienced those types of divisions are within your own military). That way, players have another reason for building experience levels other than the effectiveness of that unit. This already seems to be considered acceptable by Paradox, considering the free techs from the Spanish Civil War event.

Euro-centric Diplomat Negru Voda's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3For the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

I see.. well my heart nearly stopped when I read there were no more techteams, cause I thought that was a very cool element that added a real imprint of national identity on the gameplay of each country, as well as the fact that the model system got the boot

but reading on, I think I'm liking the changes implemented... it gives more flexibility in a way, and more choice and control to the player over it's techs

cool
    ~My old signature took up too much space, so I made this one.

~P.S: You're wonderful.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2500k club

A lot of great ideas, thanks:
    1. Adaptivity and learning curve - great
    2. Dependency on the production level - great, thought could imagine how complicated the system gets at the end
    3. Parts and technologies vs model also great and gives us a lot of freedom

So far got only two questions/ideas:
    1. How AI is going to handle this system, even with a more simple system AI was loosing a research war very often
    2. Will neighbor countries (new units seen by your neighbor or recovered from the battlefield) affect research? During the course of the history neighbors were taking the best of each other, this also applied to the second world war as designs were improving after enemies saw each others designs (in war and peace time) - will be also a good idea not to dispatch a modern unit unless you know you have enough of them to do something useful like Russians did with self propelled artillery?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast