+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #3 - 29nd of October 2008

EHko erakunde armatuko kidea rommel_sniper's Avatar
    Cities in MotionDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne

Blog Entries
    Sounds Great!
    Puede derrotar Francia a la gran Alemania nazi? Descúbrelo en el FRANCIAAR del HOI3. Última actualización: 17 de NOVIEMBRE de 2013 -seguimos!, UNE BRÈCHE DANS LE MUR

Lurker extraordinaire Danielefc's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    DiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Liked everything so far. But I'm very sad to see the techteams go - maybe having starting techteams that develop when you use them would be an idea? Models gone too - Hope this won't kill the historical feel of the game - yes the HOI2 modelsystem was too rigid. Still... I want my T34 or Tiger brigades... waahhh

First Lieutenant
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron III

Great update!

Like many others I’m sad to see the tech teams go, but the direction you guys are going sounds great. It always chaffed me that every country’s models have the same stats. One question (And maybe this will be answered next week) how will you differentiate between the tech effort between counties? Could it be money used as the separator?

Eagerly waiting.

General
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen
    Ok, can someone enlighten me about the HoI1 system, because I have never played HoI1.
    The way I recall it (though it´s been years since I played original HoI ), each possible tech combination (like main gun and other similar tech for tanks) had their own, historical name at least in modded version.

I see no reason why this would not be the case in HoI3, since designers in Paradox aren´t stupid and they certainly know what´s the simple, but crucial difference between building Early Medium Tank (37mm)´s and Panzer IIIs, for example.
    Blue Max Alternate History Mod for Hearts of Iron 3

HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold500k club

the new concept sounds interesting even so I will miss the models a bit.

Would have been nice with a small difference in the graphic animation from 36 to 45! I thinking about the units gives us players a feeling of progress and power!
    Firmly loaded with Saxon/Aztec fighting spirit!
    "I will find a way, or I will make one" Hannibal!
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day. Henry the V

AoD development team.

200k clubHoI AnthologyEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper Fi

What about historical build years? Will that still be a factor?
    Nothing to see here...

Quote Originally Posted by Gigalocus
    Your just proving my point, by adding in a new layer to the sea, means 'submarines' click 'submerge' and fleets can't follow/attack them without ASW. Thats not the case, not the case atall.

'Submarine' submerging is abstracted in other ships low detection of them. U-boats can sail from one end of the Atlantic sinking ships at will in this submerged layer. They sail on the surface. However, when attacked, most ships have low sub-attack ratings, therefore, the submarine 'submerging' and sneaking away is abrastracted into this, so theres no need for a new deep layer under the surface for submarines only. It makes no sense for the time period.
    But if there are areas of differing depth in the sea "provinces", then, when picking an area on which to hold an engagement, the depth could still play a part in how likely a submarine is to manage to slip away from the enemy. IIRC, as it is now, they are hard to detect, but when detected they just seem to slug it out on the surface like any other warship. With differing depths, you could have the depth as a modifier on the submarine's chance of achieving the positioning value that favours it.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by.
    It ended abruptly in the middle of nowhere; would not pick again.
    A traveler

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Gwalcmai
    But if there are areas of differing depth in the sea "provinces", then, when picking an area on which to hold an engagement, the depth could still play a part in how likely a submarine is to manage to slip away from the enemy. IIRC, as it is now, they are hard to detect, but when detected they just seem to slug it out on the surface like any other warship. With differing depths, you could have the depth as a modifier on the submarine's chance of achieving the positioning value that favours it.
    Ahh, now thats a fair point! Also include into that the weather!

EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSupreme Ruler 2020Rome: Vae Victis

Blog Entries
    Are you planning to hire Scytth or Kristoff to make shiny icons for units?

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Depending on how all this is put together I see there being a pull between roleplaying and annoying micromanagement. If they upgrades are instituted on a brigade by brigade level it will allow for enjoyable roleplaying and more efficient/realistic use of resources. E.G. Upgrading the guns on armoured brigades in divisions that will soon be launching an important offensive, while leaving less important units with older guns. That being said, as things are organised by brigades now that may end up being a tonne of micromanagement. The other alternative, basically like in HOI2 upgrading where resources are put towards it and units are given priority, will make the game feel a little stale. Like always, more information will make things clearer and it may all be fine.
    Mālō malō malō mālō.

I love it, sounds wonderfully complicated. Being able to direct unit dev according to need will be a much missed feature from HoI-1.

Also, the option of developing cheap, basic units to provide numbers supplemented by a solid core of elite units.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by spamgoose
    Depending on how all this is put together I see there being a pull between roleplaying and annoying micromanagement. If they upgrades are instituted on a brigade by brigade level it will allow for enjoyable roleplaying and more efficient/realistic use of resources. E.G. Upgrading the guns on armoured brigades in divisions that will soon be launching an important offensive, while leaving less important units with older guns. That being said, as things are organised by brigades now that may end up being a tonne of micromanagement. The other alternative, basically like in HOI2 upgrading where resources are put towards it and units are given priority, will make the game feel a little stale. Like always, more information will make things clearer and it may all be fine.
    I understand your micromanagement argument, but the way they said brigades are going to work is that of course a division will be made up of several brigades. So I don't think micromanagement is going to be much of an issue, except you'll have to pay more attention to the expanded provinces and actually use the A.I to control some fronts. Yet, I think you'll just be spending alot of time in the Production screen really for fun to customize divisions. I really hope there isn't a lot of micromanagement, but I'm not a roleplayer and keep in mind even though you haven't said it, roleplaying isn't apart of Paradox's list of things to improve and personally, I think without models and techteams roleplaying will actually take a big hit.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

Blog Entries
    Very interesting.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum (If you want peace, prepare for war) - Pvblivs Flavivs Vegetivs Renatvs

Stopping the 40 day plan: A French 1914 AAR Completed
    pAARallel Universes: A Germany 1936 Grand Campaign Abandoned

WW Big Wins: LXV, LXXI, CXXVII, CXXIX, CXXX, CXXXI, CXXXII
    WW Lite Wins: XCVII (sub win), CXIX, CXXI, CXXVII, CXXXVI, CCVIII, CCXXXVIII

First Lieutenant

I noticed they have a mailbox section. They probably have it meant for choice Events, Trade Agreements, who knows. Seems cool.

I really like the new technology system despite the loss of the famous techteams, however I'm not really into the concept you can't support more than one "model" of a division. Because since Johan mentioned Britain's heavy tank brigade (Matilda II) and the Soviet's revolutionary medium tank (T-34), I thought we could have several different divisional templates for every unit.

I think the removal of models is sketchy since every nation will be having one model of each divisional template, thus couldn't modder's use several nations "single divisional model to have several models of each division? Perhaps that's hardcoded...

But it makes sense to me having only one model for each because it's like once the German's began manufacturing PzIV's in 1943, production for the PzIII should've stopped because the factories upgraded. Any PzIII are being historically refitted as StuG assault gun platforms and being upgraded to PzIV equipment. Thus you'll have old PzIII's sitting around waiting upgrading and their model is obsolete but statistics still existent. I think when it comes to Matilda's and Soviet IS-2 assault tanks/King Tiger's they'll be available as heavy tank attachments.

I just hope the developers in their 4th or 5th Development Diary they completely explain about how Brigades work, restraints, requirements, how Brigades relates to Production and Technology, etc. Because from what I know, I don't see a difference how having a division full of three heavy tank Brigades and one medium tank Brigade makes it a heavy tank division or not, because wouldn't that be more than one model? Unless if you just have a majority of Brigades in a division, they'll be represented by that graphic model.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourLeviathan: WarshipsSemper Fi
    War of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Naga Niome
    I really like the new technology system despite the loss of the famous techteams, however I'm not really into the concept you can't support more than one "model" of a division
    Is that stated anywhere? I see many people posting about that but I can't find any information on it..
    ztanz wrote:
    Dakk made me laugh, I love this forum <3

Impossible? A Challenge! jorian's Avatar
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Blog Entries
    Well, the tanks and ships will be differized somehow i guess, just as certain units do have names in eu3 aswell, but i hope players get the possibility to name their own little researched toys, I think it would have a nice flavor if as Germany you could create super-heavy tanks with the name "Sabretooth", or as the russian leader order your "Mammoth Tanks" (yep, C&C ) to steamroll Sweden
    "Maps are cool, everybody loves maps!" - Johan

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I definitely liked that bit about the land doctrines. This will definitely give some much needed flexibility and breathe new life into the land warfare.
    "I consider this entire line of inquiry to be in very poor taste...

According to the Willow Springs Emu Reseach Data-Base:

"Emu oil is rendered from a thick layer of fat on the back yielding 5 - 7 liters of unsaturated, non-toxic, highly penetrating oil."

... they're just envious of the purity of my natural bodily fluids."- Bluious Emuous

Another Emuism.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black PlagueEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Finally found Jehanne's chastity belt! But can't get the key in.
    Great update. Very intriguing.

Aye.
    "I Have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." - Stephan Hawkings

Owner of a Golden Phoenix cookie! Extremely Proud owner of a BiB cookie! I also have a very special Johan cookie as well
    Owner of 7 2Coaties
    "Why not? The primary causes for union are, thankfully, long gone. So why are we hanging on to it? For the sake of sentimentality? An uncertain economic argument that's easily dismissed? Nah. Go forth, Scots. All power to your elbow. You'll take the oil and we'll take the nukes, and we'll be in Brussels afore ye. And so on." - Rabid Bogling

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Iron CrossVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

This is a great update. I don't know if I can wait until release date for this game. Maybe a pre-release demo, to hold us over until the official release. How many times can you say, "I WANT IT!"

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by Naga Niome
    I understand your micromanagement argument, but the way they said brigades are going to work is that of course a division will be made up of several brigades. So I don't think micromanagement is going to be much of an issue, except you'll have to pay more attention to the expanded provinces and actually use the A.I to control some fronts. Yet, I think you'll just be spending alot of time in the Production screen really for fun to customize divisions. I really hope there isn't a lot of micromanagement, but I'm not a roleplayer and keep in mind even though you haven't said it, roleplaying isn't apart of Paradox's list of things to improve and personally, I think without models and techteams roleplaying will actually take a big hit.
    Good points.
    Mālō malō malō mālō.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast